Where to buy eye glasses in reasonable price in CM?

jiangaq

Do they ship to Thailand and do you get stuck with shipping and duty. I need bifocals with a stigmatism with vary grey lenses in plastic. I would like a medium quality frame with adjustable nose pieces(hate the fixed ones) Do they have a price list or do you contact them for a quote?

I just bought glasses from this place. The first thing that they said was 'why don't you buy your glasses in America? It's cheaper there.' The next thing they said was 'we don' take credit cards. Cash only.' The glasses that I wound up with work well, but cost an arm and a leg. I opted for the split-lens bifocals as the Progressives, in their best quality, would have cost me 40,000 baht! At their cheapest quality Progressives (read: smallest area of clarity and almost no peripheral vision) they would have been 15,000 baht for Photo-sensitive lenses with UV protection and Anti-scratch protection. And this was with frames that were only 2,000 baht, the cheapest they had in wire frame.

Do they ship to Thailand and do you get stuck with shipping and duty. I need bifocals with a stigmatism with vary grey lenses in plastic. I would like a medium quality frame with adjustable nose pieces(hate the fixed ones) Do they have a price list or do you contact them for a quote?

Yes they ship to Thailand (from China) at normal postage fee and no duty on any I have bought. I did note last shipment was normal mail rather than previous courier service so did take almost 2 weeks to Bangkok. Have not checked if they have a priority shipment method now.

The reason for buying outside of Chiang Mai is they cost a lot less (and I mean a lot) as all those shops you see are not working on low markups (most will be lucky to have more than a couple of customers a day). And most lens will have to be ordered from Bangkok anyhow in our experience buying there so will almost always be a delay.

Yes they ship to Thailand (from China) at normal postage fee and no duty on any I have bought. I did note last shipment was normal mail rather than previous courier service so did take almost 2 weeks to Bangkok. Have not checked if they have a priority shipment method now.

The reason for buying outside of Chiang Mai is they cost a lot less (and I mean a lot) as all those shops you see are not working on low markups (most will be lucky to have more than a couple of customers a day). And most lens will have to be ordered from Bangkok anyhow in our experience buying there so will almost always be a delay.

From China? Is made in China?

what if go to buy in BKK, more cheaper than CNX?

Optics are expensive everywhere in Thailand for the income level here. Most are sold by chain stores which are strictly retail sellers (in fact actual optometrists are a very recent addition here so it was not as if you were paying for professional medical care at time of purchase making the markup understandable).

But if you do buy locally shop around and bargain. There should be a lot of room for discount.

I was wondering how you know the proper prescription. Obviously if you are buying a new pair it is because your

eyes have changed. I just ask this because I bought a pair at Vision Center who I trust and he said the

prescription I had received at the hospital was close but not right.

Who is to say?

If you can wait a week or two find ordering them to be much cheaper. I have used below for last five or so years for both myself and wife and very pleased with them.

http://www.zennioptical.com/

Yes, they are cheaper in costing, but the purchasing of those glasses does not include the checking

procedure of the eyes which is vital because human eyes have not all the same vision and need to be

checked out as is done in a normally manner.

How can the glasses you mentioned be alright for all people ...

If you can wait a week or two find ordering them to be much cheaper. I have used below for last five or so years for both myself and wife and very pleased with them.

http://www.zennioptical.com/

Yes, they are cheaper in costing, but the purchasing of those glasses does not include the checking

procedure of the eyes which is vital because human eyes have not all the same vision and need to be

checked out as is done in a normally manner.

How can the glasses you mentioned be alright for all people ...

Checking costs 200bht.

You think it's good value to pay double the price for the glasses because they give you a free check?

Wouldn't it be more sensible to pay them 200bht for the check, then buy at half price from Zenni?

(In CM my glasses Vision Center cost 8,000bht Vs Zenni charging 3,500bht)

Edited by MaeJoMTB

or go to see a real eye MD (aka ophthalmologist) and get an exam and prescription at tyhe same time. Fokk Guitar told us 610 thb at RAM a few weeks ago. I think you are only getting a technician at the franchises, perhaps an optometrist, if you are lucky, but they are very reliant on the computers. Knowing a good, real, eye doctor is a true asset, especially once you get older.

or go to see a real eye MD (aka ophthalmologist) and get an exam and prescription at tyhe same time. Fokk Guitar told us 610 thb at RAM a few weeks ago. I think you are only getting a technician at the franchises, perhaps an optometrist, if you are lucky, but they are very reliant on the computers. Knowing a good, real, eye doctor is a true asset, especially once you get older.

Dr Ratchada at Ram is the one to see, can't be beat for professionalism and quality.

Dr Ratchada at Ram is the one to see, can't be beat for professionalism and quality.

good, and he will almost surely tell you nothing wrong with ordering online, and might even get a chuckle out of it. If there was any problem at all, they wouldn't be selling to truck/bus drivers in the US. Probably 10 million pairs+ sold in the US.....can you find one incident?

good, and he will almost surely tell you nothing wrong with ordering online, and might even get a chuckle out of it. If there was any problem at all, they wouldn't be selling to truck/bus drivers in the US. Probably 10 million pairs+ sold in the US.....can you find one incident?

She, Dr Ratchada is a she.

Has anyone ever gotten a prescription for lenses from her?

She would not give me one a few years ago. Said to to elsewhere.

Has anyone ever gotten a prescription for lenses from her?

She would not give me one a few years ago. Said to to elsewhere.

Yes I have and don't stutter. biggrin.png

I was wondering how you know the proper prescription. Obviously if you are buying a new pair it is because your

eyes have changed. I just ask this because I bought a pair at Vision Center who I trust and he said the

Who is to say?

I would take the word of the guy at Vision Center over anyone.wink.png Just my opinion of course. The glasses he made for me are the best I've ever had; even better than the prescription I got from Rutin Eye Hospital in the big mango. He spent some time with me asking how much time I spend reading, using the computer, what size monitors I use, etc. and tailored the lens for me. My last pair was great for reading books but I had to put my face right up against the computer monitors or the focus was not good. (He also found fault with my prescription from Rutin Eye Hospital).

And...cheap! No Chinese fakes - at least the pair I bought (guaranteed real). They may have others - I don't know...

Who is to say?

I would take the word of the guy at Vision Center over anyone.wink.png Just my opinion of course. The glasses he made for me are the best I've ever had; even better than the prescription I got from Rutin Eye Hospital in the big mango. He spent some time with me asking how much time I spend reading, using the computer, what size monitors I use, etc. and tailored the lens for me. My last pair was great for reading books but I had to put my face right up against the computer monitors or the focus was not good. (He also found fault with my prescription from Rutin Eye Hospital).

And...cheap! No Chinese fakes - at least the pair I bought (guaranteed real). They may have others - I don't know...

Had the same experience ,he was not happy with the prescription from RAM.His tests were very thorough, check and double check.

Didnt try to sell me new frames as they were still ok.Scanned my glasses and had new graduated lens within a week.