Did you have your car Blessed at the Wat ?

thehelmsman

A lot of mixed feelings about religion on here. So, did you have a Monk bless your car and do you have the markings on and around both visors? Doesn't matter whose name is on title.

Mine was blessed by the elders at home first then at the temple. Monk told us what was a good day to buy, same as with motorbikes. car is all tatted up around and on visors. Me, I'll take all the help I can get.

I didnt personally as i dont believe in any religious mumbo jumbo buddist, Christian or otherwise, but my Mrs did, i wasnt present, its her beliefs and as long as it doesnt affect me, she can do what she likes, a bit of red and white cord around the steering colum, and a bit of "white paint" on the headliner....nothing to lose sleep over

I think you are being negligent to have it blessed only by buddhist monks.

You should also ask for blessings from other religions, just in case.

Good idea, Shouldn't be too hard to find a couple of Mormons on bikes to help out.

Dont forget the Satanists they will need to sacrifice something on the car

I didnt personally as i dont believe in any religious mumbo jumbo buddist, Christian or otherwise, but my Mrs did, i wasnt present, its her beliefs and as long as it doesnt affect me, she can do what she likes, a bit of red and white cord around the steering colum, and a bit of "white paint" on the headliner....nothing to lose sleep over

The white paint or chalk wasn't permanent on my truck but the Permanent Magic Marker tattoes on visor and surrounding area been there 3 yrs now. So if you don't believe in it there's no harm.

It's not that I'm a believer, it's that I'm not a disbeliever.

Why would anyone destroy the ceiling of a new car because of a dumb belief that it would actually protect them?

Dumb belief says you. Millions of Thais may disagree with your assumption that their belief is stupid. Whether we believe or not isn't the issue. My lady believes, everyone around us believes. Going on a long trip, we always replace the flower on mirror 20 baht, Sometimes I'm the one who initiates the flower purchase.

I can see it now. I will not hang flowers in my truck because your religion is stupid. Having my visor and surrounding area tattoed is no big deal, kinda looks good.

Monks blessing cars is ridiculous indeed, but what to think of priests blessing the sea / horses / dogs /

attachicon.giffoto_1257255092.jpg

PS If you look closely, you will note that Belgium these days needs to import monks (because of a shortage of local nutters).

.. and obviously celebrating the saints day of Saint Harpic, patron of toilet brushes.

Monks blessing cars is ridiculous indeed, but what to think of priests blessing the sea / horses / dogs /

attachicon.giffoto_1257255092.jpg

PS If you look closely, you will note that Belgium these days needs to import monks (because of a shortage of local nutters).

.. and obviously celebrating the saints day of Saint Harpic, patron of toilet brushes.

Religion can be fun too, as illustrated by this pic of a trendy catholic blesser-monk.

post-94399-0-27554300-1441552488_thumb.j

Why would anyone destroy the ceiling of a new car because of a dumb belief that it would actually protect them?

Dumb belief says you. Millions of Thais may disagree with your assumption that their belief is stupid. Whether we believe or not isn't the issue. My lady believes, everyone around us believes. Going on a long trip, we always replace the flower on mirror 20 baht, Sometimes I'm the one who initiates the flower purchase.

I can see it now. I will not hang flowers in my truck because your religion is stupid. Having my visor and surrounding area tattoed is no big deal, kinda looks good.

It is dumb to think that painting the ceiling will protect you or anything else for that matter. It's just as dumb to believe that for instance the alignment of stars and planets somehow affect your life. Or that praying to a "God(s)" will affect anything. Only difference between say me as an atheist and a religious person is that i just go a few more God(s) further... because i'm sure a religious person believes just as little in fairies, trolls and orcs as i do.

When we first started dating I asked my wife if I should buy flowers from the people selling them on the road. She said no because they use chemicals to make them last longer.

Sometimes I wonder if she really is Thai.

Not supposed to eat them, just hang them on the rear view mirror.

When we first started dating I asked my wife if I should buy flowers from the people selling them on the road. She said no because they use chemicals to make them last longer.

Sometimes I wonder if she really is Thai.

I have a similar wife.

Told me that buddha is in the heart, not in the wat.

We are both 100% off topic.... But it is good to know that there is hope - and I am sure that if our second hand car would not have had dirty fingerprints when we bought it, our car would never have had them. (which brings us back to topic).

Yup. But outside of the pieces of gold leaf on the steering wheel there is no other visible sign. The drawing was done on the underside of the sun visor on the driver's side and is only visible when I flip it down. The wife insisted it had to be done and I insisted there be no visible scrawls and the head monk was accommodating. Everyone happy!

It is dumb to think that painting the ceiling will protect you or anything else for that matter. It's just as dumb to believe that for instance the alignment of stars and planets somehow affect your life. Or that praying to a "God(s)" will affect anything. Only difference between say me as an atheist and a religious person is that i just go a few more God(s) further... because i'm sure a religious person believes just as little in fairies, trolls and orcs as i do.

Its about as dumb as geriatric farang men thinking a twenty something thai girl actually loves them and its not about the money :D

I have posted this before. It is part of an email from one of my partners in a business in Nan...............

Well, we did get the car. Last Wednesday. We had to go through all sorts of rigmarole of course – drive it out of the showroom at noon precisely (for good luck); visit the grandaughter of the last king of Nan for good luck; arriving at 12.09 for good luck; parking the car in her garden with all the doors open (to let the good luck in, along with the red ants and mozzies); then to the temple to have it and us splashed with water for good luck; then driving out of town to the first temple in Nan and circling it (tooting, first of course) for good luck; and then driving back with good luck temple threads hanging from the steering wheel and the rear vision mirror. So much good luck. Then that first night T... drives it up the bungalows driveway and demolishes the brick pillars and salt pan at the top. So, the next day (which is when I found out about it) his mother kills a chicken and we go to a jungle temple and the good luck process starts all over again. I asked him if I could get my 500bt back from the monk in Nan.

I have posted this before. It is part of an email from one of my partners in a business in Nan...............

Well, we did get the car. Last Wednesday. We had to go through all sorts of rigmarole of course drive it out of the showroom at noon precisely (for good luck); visit the grandaughter of the last king of Nan for good luck; arriving at 12.09 for good luck; parking the car in her garden with all the doors open (to let the good luck in, along with the red ants and mozzies); then to the temple to have it and us splashed with water for good luck; then driving out of town to the first temple in Nan and circling it (tooting, first of course) for good luck; and then driving back with good luck temple threads hanging from the steering wheel and the rear vision mirror. So much good luck. Then that first night T... drives it up the bungalows driveway and demolishes the brick pillars and salt pan at the top. So, the next day (which is when I found out about it) his mother kills a chicken and we go to a jungle temple and the good luck process starts all over again. I asked him if I could get my 500bt back from the monk in Nan.

Probably happened because you forgot thr Red Fanta.....

Archived