Seaside living

AlexRRR

Would like some info from local Pattaya expats, I have an allergy clean air is really important to me, recently I ran a job for 12 month 400 meters from the ocean in southern Australia and discovered the salty sea breezes kept my nostrils clear and never had any problems unless wind turned and came in from overland.

Lot of coast along jomtien and Pattaya, lot of condos too, I've stayed short time before but don't recall sea breezes like I did in Hua Hin or even Ko Samuai.

I use a Nasel spray every day, and I have been diagnosed, the spray helps but isn't always a fix, Nasel flush, and a few other things when symptoms persist, anyway I had wanted to settle in Chaing Mai but last visit there I was crook most days so I've decided I need to find a seaside location and Pattaya would seem like a good spot for me though never my first choice.

Sadly the pounding surf you got in Southern Australia does not really exist in the bay of Siam. The "ozone" and "tang" of the sea in Jomtien / Pattaya is tainted with the smell of sewage and burnt squid.

I have been to beaches south of there, near Chantaburi where southerly breezes can whip up the sea to a decent surf and you get salt spray but many of the beaches down there are more garbage strewn than Jomtien.

Having lived in Scotland most of my life I know the effect that North Sea and Atlantic gales can have on freshening the air.

Do not let me put you off totally as high rise Condo living close to the sea will give you a much cooler breeze escpecially if you are more than 7 floors up and on a corner where the building produces a thing called "sheer effect" and accelorates the wind.

Sadly the pounding surf you got in Southern Australia does not really exist in the bay of Siam. The "ozone" and "tang" of the sea in Jomtien / Pattaya is tainted with the smell of sewage and burnt squid.

I have been to beaches south of there, near Chantaburi where southerly breezes can whip up the sea to a decent surf and you get salt spray but many of the beaches down there are more garbage strewn than Jomtien.

Having lived in Scotland most of my life I know the effect that North Sea and Atlantic gales can have on freshening the air.

Do not let me put you off totally as high rise Condo living close to the sea will give you a much cooler breeze escpecially if you are more than 7 floors up and on a corner where the building produces a thing called "sheer effect" and accelorates the wind.

I wouldnt call Ko Samuai a clean or great beach either but staying 100 meters from the beach and I was in a nice resort complex I didn't have a problem while there.

I've stayed a couple of times in jomtien, just short stays but this was before I was diagnosed, I wasn't paying any attention to breeze etc.

I could live anywhere currently in BKK on vacation I get my little attacks but believe me I'm better in BKK than Melbourne, I'm going to retire here soon and to a seaside area now I know the difference.

We live on Wong Amat Beach in Naklua, and have wonderful breezes from the sea almost every day.

What about the construction noise with the contractors working 24/7 ??

Then there's all the dust and paint in the air when they paint the outside of the buildings....

And all the congestion and the damage to the sois by the relentless concrete deliveries...

When you do venture down to the beach, the walkway has collapsed, and the sea don't look that clean, imho....

Far better places to live in Thailand if you ask me.....

I use to live in Bangkok and noticed I'd get a sore throat some times. Especially when walking around the city. I'd take a few days off and head to the beach somewhere and I'd be OK. I now live south of Jomtien and the sea breeze is great. I think the air is cleaner here, but we still have problems due to burning. This part of the world loves to burn everything!

I'm with you, could not live in CM due to the bad air. Most of the year is fine, but for a few months, I'd have to leave. It's not great here either, but a bit better. If it's a salty breeze you're looking for, then somewhere south of Ranong would be best. There are some amazing beaches from Ranong down to Phuket. Khao Lak is quite nice, but a bit expensive.

I just got back from a month in/around the beaches in Estonia, Latvia and Sweden. Wow...what clean air! It was amazing. But a bit too cold for me! LOL

I've lived in Condo in Jomtien for about 10 years, 7th floor. Breezes nice, air clean enough. Beaches strewn with garbage and have never gone in water here, and on going "improvement" project along beach road is destroying shade and what was once main attraction. Maybe rent a place for a month and see how that goes?

If you have transport, some very nice reasonable places a bit south of here, cleaner too....

Try one of the islands on the Pacific East coast of South Luzon, Philippines; the air will be pristine but watch out for typhoons.

I'm off to the Phillipines for the first time next week....not discounted yet but ummmmm I want a peaceful life so avoiding typhoons every year or two isn't how I'd like to live....though I've heard one or two places there don't get them.

Coming originally from Perth Aust, which is the hay fever capital of the world and had to have allergy medication almost daily, twice daily if the inland breeze was blowing. My allergy was related to certain sorts of flowers, and the inland wind brought lots of the pollen. Even now when I go back to Aust within 12 hours back on the allergy medication, in Thailand 99% of the time nothing required. I have only ever been to CM during the wet season, so no idea what that is like in the dry season.

Very little problem with Bangkok or down around Pattaya. I have just moved into a house down in Huay Yai and we are about 7km from the sea. Still no problem with allergies, and is a lot quieter than in the main Pattaya/Jomtien areas alongside the beach. Bang Saray is a bit further South and may be a good thing. Be warned there is a main road going to be coming into the Na Jomtien area, probably terminating very close to the Ambassador City Hotel, so put that in your things to look at. There is a thread running on TV about this and there are maps. The map showing the road going into the middle of Pattaya is out of date and wrong.

So it may be worthwhile trying a few different areas by staying at a hotel for a few days to see what affects you and what does not.

When I get asked at work or wherever why I live in Thailand, the no allergy answer always confuses them. So I then add in the no income tax for offshore earnings to really mess with them. Not the answers they were expecting maybe, lol.

Cheers

I've lived in Condo in Jomtien for about 10 years, 7th floor. Breezes nice, air clean enough. Beaches strewn with garbage and have never gone in water here, and on going "improvement" project along beach road is destroying shade and what was once main attraction. Maybe rent a place for a month and see how that goes?

If you have transport, some very nice reasonable places a bit south of here, cleaner too....

I just moved into the Metro Condotel, Jomtien Beach Road, Soi 19, 5th floor. The breeze is refreshing, no noise as it's already developed on either side. HUGE ant problem, I've given up fighting the little buggers, and the beach is FILTHY! Absolutely NO swimming, I tried it once and got right out feeling soiled to the soul! Looks very beautiful, though, from my balcony.

Coming originally from Perth Aust, which is the hay fever capital of the world and had to have allergy medication almost daily, twice daily if the inland breeze was blowing. My allergy was related to certain sorts of flowers, and the inland wind brought lots of the pollen. Even now when I go back to Aust within 12 hours back on the allergy medication, in Thailand 99% of the time nothing required. I have only ever been to CM during the wet season, so no idea what that is like in the dry season.

Very little problem with Bangkok or down around Pattaya. I have just moved into a house down in Huay Yai and we are about 7km from the sea. Still no problem with allergies, and is a lot quieter than in the main Pattaya/Jomtien areas alongside the beach. Bang Saray is a bit further South and may be a good thing. Be warned there is a main road going to be coming into the Na Jomtien area, probably terminating very close to the Ambassador City Hotel, so put that in your things to look at. There is a thread running on TV about this and there are maps. The map showing the road going into the middle of Pattaya is out of date and wrong.

So it may be worthwhile trying a few different areas by staying at a hotel for a few days to see what affects you and what does not.

When I get asked at work or wherever why I live in Thailand, the no allergy answer always confuses them. So I then add in the no income tax for offshore earnings to really mess with them. Not the answers they were expecting maybe, lol.

Cheers

Pollen, dust, stale air will all set me off, I built my house 6 years ago, and, I can still smell odours from the carpet like it was new, 100 meters of polished floor, since learned there is an odour less polish......I'm in the west of Melbourne, flat land and breezy most days.

These days I leave 3 windows open about 50mm all year round to keep air circulating, I'm obviously worse off in Melbourne, and part of the reason ii think is construction materials, I'm a builder, in Thailand it's mainly masonry hard plaster and ceramic tiles, we in AU use manufactured everything, the chemicals I'm sure of in these products along with dust and pollen in external breeze gets me every time.

Definitely Wongamat. I have a condo on the northern tip about to be completed, sea breezes all day long from both bays, if your wanting to rent a place, pm me if you'd like to take a look.

Thanks but I'm not ready for a permeant move until end of next year, so far your area has come up here a few times so next visit I will check it out.

On the mainland opposite Koh Samui is an idyllic market/fishing town named Khanom. If it's peace and quiet you want, beautiful beaches, and a retirement paradise for a few ex-pats there. I lived there for 3 years - not once did I suffer any allergy - and if I fancied a bit more life, I'd hop on the ferry to Samui. Google it.

On the mainland opposite Koh Samui is an idyllic market/fishing town named Khanom. If it's peace and quiet you want, beautiful beaches, and a retirement paradise for a few ex-pats there. I lived there for 3 years - not once did I suffer any allergy - and if I fancied a bit more life, I'd hop on the ferry to Samui. Google it.

Didn't like Ko Samuai don't like it much down south, I'm not dead so I do need to have some life, not a bar hopper but I do like cafes dinning options and the night on the town once in a while, if current TGF is still around and not in favour of a move I will want some pussy from time to time because there is no chance of me living in BKK.

Back in the 1990's I rented an expensive condo right on the beach at Ban Amphoe (Bann Som.....g)but about a year later there, the smoke from the charcoal-makers up in the hill beyond Phoenix Golf course would creep down early morning hours and all windows etc closed and A/C running would damn near choke me; had to move out.

We live on Wong Amat Beach in Naklua, and have wonderful breezes from the sea almost every day.

Great area to live! constant breeze and would highly recommend the " out door living " it's never too hot to spend all day outside although the sea perhaps is not the cleanest that Thailand offers But the beach is great for walking and getting that " Baywatch Suntan " but do you have a pair of Red Swimming Shorts viewers.???

F.J xthumbsup.gif

Great area to live! constant breeze and would highly recommend the " out door living " it's never too hot to spend all day outside although the sea perhaps is not the cleanest that Thailand offers But the beach is great for walking and getting that " Baywatch Suntan " but do you have a pair of Red Swimming Shorts viewers.???

F.J xthumbsup.gif

Haha I will make it mandatory for TGF to wear red bikini's

I just moved into the Metro Condotel, Jomtien Beach Road, Soi 19, 5th floor. The breeze is refreshing, no noise as it's already developed on either side. HUGE ant problem, I've given up fighting the little buggers, and the beach is FILTHY! Absolutely NO swimming, I tried it once and got right out feeling soiled to the soul! Looks very beautiful, though, from my balcony.

I had the ant problem in BKK. The only fix I found was the green octagonal ant trap things in Big C etc. The only extra I did was put a drop of honey in each trap and about 4 traps around the apartment on ant trails during peak ant season. Takes a couple of days, but problem solved, until next time. The locals do not seem to go in for eradication programs of pests, so you are on your own.

Cheers

Archived