ways to live permanently in thailand with my girlfriend

Tombuk

OP

Sorry

You are fantasising !

At the age of 23, with little or no education or skill the chances of living in Thailand permanently range between zero and nil.

I apologise for being the the one to tell you the truth.

Came at 19. Still here at 52. Just o levels and cses to my name.

I apologize for being the one to tell you that you don't know jack.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you bother to learn any Thai during your two years there ? I moved to Hong Kong out of Uni. I took Chinese in College. Also went the IT / industrial automation route. Thailand is a mess and is pretty much the place where ambition goes to die. Most people in the region work in more dynamic places and use Thailand as a second home or did.

You really need to find a life's calling. Then you need to obtain skills that allow you to do what you want to do. The easiest language to learn is probably Malay which is also spoken in Indonesia. Indonesia will be the second largest economy in Asia.

There is a world food shortage, so if you have an interest in agriculture, that may be something to look into. There is a bit o tech in farming these days as well.

If you apply yourself, look further afield than Thailand toward its neighbors, you will fair better.

indonesian is different from malay even though both sound similar and yes malay is spoken in indonesia but only as a minority language. That's like saying spanish is also spoken in brazil and to learn spanish while in brazil.

They speak Javanese not malay ok .

OP

Sorry

You are fantasising !

At the age of 23, with little or no education or skill the chances of living in Thailand permanently range between zero and nil.

Its not as I I have no education but what I have is pretty useless in Thailand. I just wanted to know what skills I could gain to get a job there. I know there's not many as lets face it Thai people aren't stupid they can do everything foreign people can do to pretty much the same standard if not better.

hmmmmmmmmm construction??

OP

Sorry

You are fantasising !

Noted ! No apology needed !

Why has no advice been offered to the OP has to what he should do?

With this alleged 32 years of "experience" of living in Thailand surely more than "jack" can be offered.

OP

Sorry

You are fantasising !

I incline to believe that 33 years ago it was much easier to get a job without university-level education.

Nowadays, one who wants to start a career should target a Bachelor, as a minimum.

Otherwise, he'd consider learning a high-demand trade / skill.

one option would be too just work in the uk and visit every year as often as you can.

many guys have these types of arrangements where they move around for visa or work and visit girls they know in different countries.

the absence can make the bond stronger, or sometimes it separates...

the ideal option is not always there, sometimes you have to do the best you can.

Edited by fey

OP

Sorry

You are fantasising !

I incline to believe that 33 years ago it was much easier to get a job without university-level education.

Nowadays, one who wants to start a career should target a Bachelor, as a minimum.

Otherwise, he'd consider learning a high-demand trade / skill.

Actually, you are absolutely correct.

Just a little bit too sensitive to one of the earlier posters on my part.

OP

Sorry

You are fantasising !

With this alleged 32 years of "experience" of living in Thailand surely more than "jack" can be offered.

Actually, in this day and age you are correct. I would never be able to do it now. Without a degree I would not even be invited to an interview. The only way would be to go into businesss for myself which has only a small chance of success.

Apologies oncearugge. Too sensitive on my part.

Edited by GarryP

OP

Sorry

You are fantasising !

Actually, in this day and age you are correct. I would never be able to do it now. Without a degree I would not even be invited to an interview. The only way would be to go into businesss for myself which has only a small chance of success.

Apologies oncearugge. Too sensitive on my part.

Thank you for recognising the very good advise I provided to the OP.

Thank you also for the apology.

Go to college. Chances of getting a job you're legally able to perform without having a degree are very slim. Not living here makes your chances even slimmer. I tried looking for work before I came to Thailand and before I made the decision to go to college and it seems like employers are really not interested in you if you are not already here. They look at : Your not here, so you don't have visa yet (that allows you to get work permit) and they don't even know if can you can show up or even get here.

I managed to live in Phuket since I was 24 years old with my then girlfriend who has been my wife ever since (I'm 58 now LOL)

I did this by working in the Oil Business all those years and rotated in and out of Thailand. However, the oil business being what it is today us white folks are being outsourced everywhere by cheaper (and less experienced 3rd worlders).

I have a couple of ideas for you

1/ Do PADI training up to instructor level and find work as dive instructor in Phuket there are a bunch of Expat divers doing just that and they make an OK salary here, I assume they are legally employed.

2/ Try and get involved in the Yacht Brokerage / Charter business here, there are quite a few expats in this industry

3/ Learn / Qualify as Yacht master / Yacht master instructor and try and get skippers position on a private or charter boat.

4/ Start a bar or coffee shop with your girlfriend and make your living that way

I hope this will help inspire you, think positively!!

cheers

Colin

I managed to live in Phuket since I was 24 years old with my then girlfriend who has been my wife ever since (I'm 58 now LOL)

I did this by working in the Oil Business all those years and rotated in and out of Thailand. However, the oil business being what it is today us white folks are being outsourced everywhere by cheaper (and less experienced 3rd worlders).

1/ Do PADI training up to instructor level and find work as dive instructor in Phuket there are a bunch of Expat divers doing just that and they make an OK salary here, I assume they are legally employed.

2/ Try and get involved in the Yacht Brokerage / Charter business here, there are quite a few expats in this industry

3/ Learn / Qualify as Yacht master / Yacht master instructor and try and get skippers position on a private or charter boat.

4/ Start a bar or coffee shop with your girlfriend and make your living that way

cheers

Colin

Listed below are the businesses that are prohibited to foreigners:

2. Service business: brokerage

3. Land, water & i.e.Transport

4. Service Industry

I came here at 22 and am still here seven years later. I just googled around / searched forums and Craigslist for freelance writing work, got good at it, and eventually found a fixed position writing content for one company. Nothing in the Alien Labor act prohibits supporting yourself through online work, transferring USD to a Thai bank account to live off. Many do that with zero issues.

Google r/ freelance writing, r/ freelance, r/ work online, and start researching.

Hi

My life also similar to you. I'm 24yr old. My boyfriend also a foreigner, we are together already like 3 years. we didn't stay together just on phone everyday but that quite suffer if you need to keep on like this then he also planned to move here and work as freelance just like what "jspill" got mentioned. but another suggestion is you should be able to speak Thai that would give you more opportunities to find a better job here.

Cheers

cheers

Colin

Colin, your forgot to advise the op to teach English.

Diving instructor, coffee shop, etc.

He's going nowhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk