Radar detector

hansje1980

Which radar (incl laser, etc) detector actually works good in Thailand? There are so many out there (import and from Thailand as well) that I don't know which one I should buy.

Thank in advance!

PS. Would a detector be illegal by Thai law? Not every country has made the usage of such device illegal by law.

RADAR detectors are only useful when there are other drivers in the vicinity. RADAR speed measuring devices have become so advanced over the years. Original RADAR worked where the RADAR unit had to be stationary, and the target advancing or receding from the device. It was usually left on and clocked every vehicle on the road. As technology advanced, the RADAR units were able to be used with the device moving (in a car or on a motorcycle) with the target closing (approaching the device). Further progression advanced the RADAR device to be able to be speed selective (i.e fastest vehicle vs most reflective vehicle) and directional specific (approaching / receding? as well as front and rear antennae on the vehicle. A good RADAR operator will only write a ticket when they are 100% sure of the offender, and can do this with considerable accuracy. If they stop you and are in doubt, they can likely find some other infraction to charge you with. Possessing a RADAR detector may be legal, but it goes to show the police that you are using a device to "attempt to beat the system". If you educate yourself on how RADAR works, you can drive without worry of ever being convicted (in a country where you can fairly dispute the allegation in a court). If you are just going to buy a RADAR detector to be able to race along without ever thinking you are going to get a ticket, you might as well light your baht on fire.......

As for LASER (LIDAR) guns, if you can slow your car down faster than the speed of light (the LASER beam that is instant on for less than a second - usually does 30 to 50 measurements of the speed in one second and displays the speed to the operator) then you are busted. It can pinpoint a target easily at 500 meters and the best one I used when mounted on a tripod (no hand shake) could get tractor trailer targets in excess of 2000 meters and regular road vehicles around 1200 meters.

Start here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar_gun and here http://fyst.ca/appndxc.htm and you can learn some of the basics.

Edited by fritzzz25

I have 2 that I've used for a few years in Thailand. A Whistler Pro 78SE and a chinese one bought in MBK.

Both have been used around Pattaya, across Issan and up to Chiangmai.

I initially thought they were worth it as they did detect some hidden radars and the tripod cameras.

Nowadays I don't bother with them as there are too many unnecessary alerts along the highways. I can detect a 7-11 and anyone with a remote controlled gate from miles away. biggrin.png

By the time you start looking at high-end radar detectors that might actually work and don't false alarm all the time, the ROI just isn't there, IMHO. We don't get $1,000+ fines here, just 200-400 Baht ones wink.png

You also asked about the legality of them - on that I'm not sure, but anyway: If an officer stopping you thinks having one is worth a fine, what difference does the law make? Even if he doesn't give you a fine for having the detector, good luck getting out of a speeding fine when such a device literally screams "I break the speed limit".

Edited by IMHO