Brian Davidson announced as new UK Ambassador to Thailand

webfact

Press release
Change of Her Majesty’s Ambassador to Thailand

uk1.jpg

Mr Brian Davidson is to succeed Mr Mark Kent as Her Majesty's Ambassador to the Kingdom of Thailand

Mr Brian Davidson has been appointed Her Majesty’s Ambassador to the Kingdom of Thailand in succession to Mr Mark Kent, who will be transferring to another Diplomatic Service appointment. Mr Davidson will take up his appointment during September 2016.

Curriculum Vitae
Full name Brian John Davidson
Married to Mr Scott Kelly Chang
2011 – 2015 Shanghai, Consul General
2006 – 2010 Guangzhou, Consul General
2005 – 2006 International Financial Services London, Deputy Chief Executive
2001 – 2004 Vilnius, Deputy Head of Mission
2001 Language training (Lithuanian)
2001 FCO, Hajj Pilgrimage committee reviewer, Consular Directorate
1996 – 2000 Canberra, First Secretary
1994 – 1996 FCO, Head of China Section
1992 – 1994 Cabinet Office, Desk Officer, Assessments Staff
1988 – 1992 Beijing, Second Secretary
1986 – 1988 Language training (Mandarin Chinese)
1985 – 1986 FCO, Desk Officer Czechoslovakia/Bulgaria, East European Department
1985 Joined FCO

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/change-of-her-majestys-ambassador-to-thailand

-- GOV.UK 2015-09-08

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I despise the British Embassy, and dread ever having to go there, it is enlightened and progressive that a gay married man has been chosen as the next ambassador. Good luck to him and his lovely wife.

Lovely wife? How would you know this .Youve met them?

Youre simply expressing the opinion of the minority and by the way gays have partners not wives. Men have wives. Please dont twist things to suit your agenda.

Getting back to the real issue of the embassy. I think alot of Brits lost it for their embassy when it turned its back on a Briton who was cuffed to a cell bar and left to starve.

He was a human skeleton by the time someone texted a pic of him to the media.The embassy had no choice but to get him out.

Edited by jalansanitwong

The new UK Ambassador to Thailand is married to ...........Mr Chang ? giggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif

He's going to love it him here!

In September 2014 Davidson married his American boyfriend Scott Chang in a ceremony officiated by British Ambassador Sir Sebastian Wood at the Ambassador's residence in Beijing, causing a stir in China, where same-sex marriage is not permitted. Davidson, who was married under English law which has permitted same-sex marriage since March 2014, commented: "Obviously Scott and I are very happy to have this opportunity to marry under British law. We are very proud that the UK is one of the few countries in the world to make this happen."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Davidson

Well, thank God things have progressed since the dark days when gays were considered a security risk and the likes of Alan Turing were hounded to an early grave. Good luck to him and his partner ( lovely or otherwise).

Why have an embassy here ,they aren't any good for the expats here,save the money ,sorry I forgot it isn't for the British

I completely agree. As each year goes by, they make life more difficult being a Brit abroad. Closing the consulate in Chiang Mai and requiring Brits in Chiang Mai to visit Bangkok to apply for a new passport are a couple of examples of them helping us.

Why have an embassy here ,they aren't any good for the expats here,save the money ,sorry I forgot it isn't for the British

My good man, he's a representative of the British government and it's all about diplomacy. I think you may have misunderstood the role of an Ambassador coffee1.gif

My good man, he's a representative of the British government and it's all about diplomacy. I think you may have misunderstood the role of an Ambassador coffee1.gif

If you need help / advice go to any other EU countries embassy they are far more helpful, i use the German embassy they are great.

Let's hope he can Sort out the mess when you try to renew your British passport.

You can only pay for the Renual with a British credit/debit card

Not cash, money order or foreign visa card.

For a lot of Expats with no Bank account in the UK its a really stupid rule.

But this is of no concern to him.

We are only the people he has been sent to look after.

in succession to Mr Mark Kent,

That was quick.

He underwent quite a lot of training (language and otherwise) before being taken on as a long-term ambassador.

The previous guy (Pakistani name) took over for a year as a temp while Mark was trained up.

Let's hope he can Sort out the mess when you try to renew your British passport.

SINCE WHEN have you been able to renew the latest Passports at an embassy? I had to apply direct to the UK earlier this year, but they did accept my local (Malaysian) debit card. Took about 6 weeks which caused me to overstay. The only thing the Embassy could offer was a Temporary Travel Document, only good for one return journey, and similar price to a Passport. Not much help.

SINCE WHEN have you been able to renew the latest Passports at an embassy? I had to apply direct to the UK earlier this year, but they did accept my local (Malaysian) debit card. Took about 6 weeks which caused me to overstay. The only thing the Embassy could offer was a Temporary Travel Document, only good for one return journey, and similar price to a Passport. Not much help.

The form for passport Renual whilst in Thailand says submit to Embassy in Bangkok.

I completely agree. As each year goes by, they make life more difficult being a Brit abroad. Closing the consulate in Chiang Mai and requiring Brits in Chiang Mai to visit Bangkok to apply for a new passport are a couple of examples of them helping us.

Loaded? Obviously not loaded full of intelligence! The policy for Embassies is passed down from the Foreign Office. It is not up to each Embassy to establish their own policy, so stop making uneducated comments and point your barbs in the right direction - The British Government.

The form for passport Renual whilst in Thailand says submit to Embassy in Bangkok.

You do not apply at or pick up from the British Embassy.

Everything you need to know should be here:

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

As much as I despise the British Embassy, and dread ever having to go there, it is enlightened and progressive that a gay married man has been chosen as the next ambassador. Good luck to him and his lovely wife.

Lovely wife? How would you know this .Youve met them?

Youre simply expressing the opinion of the minority and by the way gays have partners not wives. Men have wives. Please dont twist things to suit your agenda.

I got really excited with this news for a split second as i thought it said they had appointed Jim Davidson as ambassador, and i thought finally the PC, bearded, anorak wearing Liberal lefties had all been kicked out of goverment departments and was really looking forward to the odd joke from the new ambassador.....

Loaded? Obviously not loaded full of intelligence! The policy for Embassies is passed down from the Foreign Office. It is not up to each Embassy to establish their own policy, so stop making uneducated comments and point your barbs in the right direction - The British Government.

So you are saying embassies are not part of the foreign office? You are saying the decision to close the consulate in Chiang Mai was made without the recommendation of the embassy in Bangkok? I don't believe that. I wish I was as educated as you giggle.gif