Isuzu D Max versus V Cross..........

Gary A

To be honest I think that your best bet would be to go to a dealer and look. Both V-Cross options are 4WD.

When I bought my 3L V-Cross in early 2012 my opinion was that it was the best PU available. The ride, in my opinion, superior to the rest ...the V-Cross ride is soft for a PU.

Now, my choice of PU would be a Wildtrak. I'm 'waiting and waiting' delivery of an Everest T+ and am wondering whether to sell my PU now and hope!!

I can start out by saying that I didn't need a new truck. My aged Nissan was dependable and in very good condition. Secondly I didn't need a 3.0 liter engine and finally I didn't need a 4X4. BUT, what fun is life without a new toy once in a while. I did try to be practical and failed. I wanted a 3.0 liter and a 4X4 so that's what I am getting. I decided on an Isuzu V Cross. The dealer says the D Max and V Cross suspensions are identical but for some reason a 4X4 seems to ride softer. Unfortunately none of the local dealers have a V Cross in stock so I have to order one. The dealer says a three week delivery.True or not, I don't know. I'll be complaining if it takes longer than that. The hardest part of buying a new vehicle is deciding which brand. I did look at all the trucks that are available. I think they are all pretty good and that it would be safe to buy any of them. Since the old Nissan was the best vehicle I ever owned, it was near the top of my list but Isuzu won out.

Isuzu parts are cheaper than Nissan. Over an 8 year ownership I'd be buying a lot of brake pads, filters..plus a set of disk rotors, probably a set of shockers....I'd be factoring in the cost of parts in any purchase decision.

I would never buy an Isuzu like driving a tractor very noisy, not a patch on a Toyota.

Wang Suphung brought a 4X4 V Cross to the house today for me to test drive. I have to say that I was impressed by how quiet it was. Maybe I was just used to the old Nissan and obviously it was quieter than the Nissan. The 3.0 liter also has more power than I expected.

Just to make Myk happy I stopped at Loei Toyota to get prices. They had a 4X4 2 door that looked pretty good. The salesman came by and we proceeded inside to look at numbers. The numbers looked to be about the same as the Isuzu so now I had to decide whether to buy Isuzu or Toyota. As he was tapping on his calculator, I discovered that he had priced a High Rider rather than the 4X4 that I was looking at. The V Cross Isuzu was loaded with many more options than the Toyota. Of course the Toyota 4X4 was a lot more expensive. 57,000 baht more to be exact with less options. You guys can stick your Toyota trucks. I should add that the interest rate was 2.9 percent which works out to about a total of 14 percent. I told them that I would pay cash and he then said that he would have to raise the price. Their finance commission must be pretty high.

I then went to Loei Isuzu. I had told Wang Suphung for a final price and told them I was going to price the same truck at Loei. If Loei was cheaper, I was going to buy it there. I was a little miffed at Wang Suphung because they wanted me to pay for some of the cheaper accessories. Loei Isuzu didn't quibble on the cheaper accessories and I ended up saving about 15,000 baht for everything I wanted. It was funny because on the way home, Wang Saphung called my wife asking if we wanted to order the truck. She told them that we saved 15,000 baht by ordering from Loei. TOO LATE! Loei wasn't too happy about taking cash either but they accepted the deal. I should add that their interest rate was cheaper than Toyota but still to high to suit me..

The Isuzu had a number of things that I really didn't want but they came with the V Cross package. It has a button start where you don't need to put the key in, just have it in your pocket. The other big item was an in dash GPS that I really didn't want. Just touching the door handle unlocks the doors as long as the key is in your pocket. They promised a 15 day delivery after they checked on the Internet. We'll see.

Myk, do you know anyone who has a decibel meter? I'd be curious to check your Toyota and my Isuzu at highway speed. That would tell the tale.

Edited by Gary A

Try as many different brands as possible before making up your mind.

Yes they are all good, some are better on the road and some are better off-road.

I didn't drive a Mitsubishi because in my eyes they are just too ugly and the same with the Mazda. I was impressed with the Nissan Caliber. Actually my brother in laws Toyota didn't really impress me. I think I'll be happy with the V Cross. The bottom line was 844,400 baht out the door for everything I wanted including the first year insurance and a 35,000 baht discount.

Just to make Myk happy I stopped at Loei Toyota to get prices. They had a 4X4 2 door that looked pretty good. The salesman came by and we proceeded inside to look at numbers. The numbers looked to be about the same as the Isuzu so now I had to decide whether to buy Isuzu or Toyota. As he was tapping on his calculator, I discovered that he had priced a High Rider rather than the 4X4 that I was looking at. The V Cross Isuzu was loaded with many more options than the Toyota. Of course the Toyota 4X4 was a lot more expensive. 57,000 baht more to be exact with less options. You guys can stick your Toyota trucks. I should add that the interest rate was 2.9 percent which works out to about a total of 14 percent. I told them that I would pay cash and he then said that he would have to raise the price. Their finance commission must be pretty high.

I then went to Loei Isuzu. I had told Wang Suphung for a final price and told them I was going to price the same truck at Loei. If Loei was cheaper, I was going to buy it there. I was a little miffed at Wang Suphung because they wanted me to pay for some of the cheaper accessories. Loei Isuzu didn't quibble on the cheaper accessories and I ended up saving about 15,000 baht for everything I wanted. It was funny because on the way home, Wang Saphung called my wife asking if we wanted to order the truck. She told them that we saved 15,000 baht by ordering from Loei. TOO LATE! Loei wasn't too happy about taking cash either but they accepted the deal. I should add that their interest rate was cheaper than Toyota but still to high to suit me..

The Isuzu had a number of things that I really didn't want but they came with the V Cross package. It has a button start where you don't need to put the key in, just have it in your pocket. The other big item was an in dash GPS that I really didn't want. Just touching the door handle unlocks the doors as long as the key is in your pocket. They promised a 15 day delivery after they checked on the Internet. We'll see.

Myk, do you know anyone who has a decibel meter? I'd be curious to check your Toyota and my Isuzu at highway speed. That would tell the tale.

My ears work well we can drive both when yours comes and compare, ??

My ears work well we can drive both when yours comes and compare, ??

I was looking at the Google Play Store and they offer a decibel meter. I downloaded it to my phone and it seems to work great. It's called sound meter. Try it.