Phuket airport to Karon

kingalfred

Meter taxi will cost 900 baht to Karon. I personally don't have a problem with 700 - 800 baht for a journey of close to 50km (if you can find a car at that price!); it's the shorter distance prices that I find annoying.

Shared minibus is 250 baht or airport bus to Phuket Town, walk to local bus area and blue songthaew at a bargain 120 baht. Could take a long time though.

Meter taxi will cost 900 baht to Karon. I personally don't have a problem with 700 - 800 baht for a journey of close to 50km (if you can find a car at that price!); it's the shorter distance prices that I find annoying.

Shared minibus is 250 baht or airport bus to Phuket Town, walk to local bus area and blue songthaew at a bargain 120 baht. Could take a long time though.

I agree that 700 - 800 baht is an Ok price.

As for the public bus option, depends on the time of day. No blue local bus after 18.00. Not really practical time wise/connection wise.

With the traffic now being so bad, I wouldn't be surprised if prices go up. Last week I left the airport at 5:15 pm and it took a whole hour just to be able to turn right onto the bypass road. Traffic was at a standstill both directions and there weren't any accidents, just very heavy congestion and long traffic lights.

Maybe a thai can negotiate price 500-600baht. I arrive with thai GF

Phuket is the Thai island of "Associations" and "Clubs." Transport being controlled the most, by "the mafia."

You can not negotiate a price, nor can your Thai GF, no matter how HiSo, or LoSo, she may be.

If you are arriving to Phuket on a domestic flight, it's quite possible your "taxi" journey from the airport to your accommodation will cost you more than your flight.

Transport really is that bad here.

Edited by NamKangMan

So much for the "reforms" I have read about in the last year. And I see how Uber, which operates in other parts of Thailand was ruled illegal in Phuket. So the Mafia Dons are in control!

Edited by kingalfred

So much for the "reforms" I have read about in the last year. All cosmetic?

There was a little bit of beach encroachment clean up, which appeared to be selective.

Other than that, nothing has changed on Phuket for over a year the Thai Military has been in control.

The Thai Military will not even go up against the criminals here.

That really only leaves market forces to try to sort Phuket out, and currently, we have only "zero baht" Chinese tourists coming here, and not much else, with no positive change to anything here in the foreseeable future.

One option is to rent a car from David car rentals that is located on a small soi just off the main road opposite the exit gate of the airport. You can walk there from the arrivals hall...probably 5 to 10 minutes. They have a website. You can get a small suzuki, with insurance, on a daily rental for about 200THB less than what the mafia will charge you for a one way trip to Karon.

With the traffic now being so bad, I wouldn't be surprised if prices go up. Last week I left the airport at 5:15 pm and it took a whole hour just to be able to turn right onto the bypass road. Traffic was at a standstill both directions and there weren't any accidents, just very heavy congestion and long traffic lights.

Smug and blissfully happy about my decision to move out of Phuket for good. The influx of chinese filled tour buses is the coup de grace for the islands road transport. In a few months, when they start the underpass at Chalong hayek the disfunctional road system will grow even worse.

In the last week up here I have met 3 new expats with their Thai partners in tow looking for a place to rent so that they can relocate from Phuket. Two of those couples are currently staying in Karon. The reason that all three couples offered for their decision to move: Traffic has become absolutely insane as roads are clogged with buses.

Did I mention how glad I am that I left Phuket...

Smug and blissfully happy about my decision to move out of Phuket for good. The influx of chinese filled tour buses is the coup de grace for the islands road transport. In a few months, when they start the underpass at Chalong hayek the disfunctional road system will grow even worse.

In the last week up here I have met 3 new expats with their Thai partners in tow looking for a place to rent so that they can relocate from Phuket. Two of those couples are currently staying in Karon. The reason that all three couples offered for their decision to move: Traffic has become absolutely insane as roads are clogged with buses.

I know a few expats that have moved from Phuket to Pattaya. They would never have thought about do so, when they first settled on Phuket, and didn't so, when I first met them.

None of them moved for financial reasons, or failed relationships. Two of them had businesses here. One sold for a profit and moved, the other sold for what he paid, just to be able to leave Phuket.

Doesn't say much about the direction Phuket is heading in, when it loses expats, not just tourists, to a place as seedy as Pattaya.

Are the airport buses to from the airport to Phuket town still running?

I thought this may be a cheap and viable option for us as we land very early the morning, catch that and spend some time at the malls and CBD in Phuket town before catching the blue bus to Karon later on the day to check in.

Edited by ChrisSn

I thought this may be a cheap and viable option for us as we land very early the morning, catch that and spend some time at the malls and CBD in Phuket town before catching the blue bus to Karon later on the day to check in.

First bus fom airport at 08.00

http://www.airportbusphuket.com/timetable.php

Get off at Central - but opens at 11.00 !!!

Blue bus from Central to Karon.

First bus fom airport at 08.00

http://www.airportbusphuket.com/timetable.php

Get off at Central - but opens at 11.00 !!!

Blue bus from Central to Karon.

Also be aware that it is not easy to find the Airport bus. It is secreted way off to the left as you come out of the arrivals building. Don't bother asking anyone where it is, everyone will lie to you...no hab...leave alleady...etc.

Just walk north along the footpath outside the airport terminal and eventually you will see the bus.

Last time I rode on it the front windscreen was smashed. A gift from the taxi drivers.

Also be aware that it is not easy to find the Airport bus. It is secreted way off to the left as you come out of the arrivals building. Don't bother asking anyone where it is, everyone will lie to you...no hab...leave alleady...etc.

Just walk north along the footpath outside the airport terminal and eventually you will see the bus.

Last time I rode on it the front windscreen was smashed. A gift from the taxi drivers.

Exactly - ask about a bus and no-one knows about any bus, even the signs for the bus mysteriously disappear. Turn left out of airport exit door and walk about 25+m toward the end of the departures downramp.

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. Thanks for the timetable LivinginKata, bookmarked it on my phone. thumbsup.gif

We plan to get off at the bus station in town and then work our way back towards the malls. With check-in time only at 2 pm we have some time to kill in the morning.

Exactly - ask about a bus and no-one knows about any bus, even the signs for the bus mysteriously disappear. Turn left out of airport exit door and walk about 25+m toward the end of the departures downramp.

Can you get on the airport bus at any stop and travel to any stop?

So could go Boat Lagoon to Merlin hotel for example. That would be a good way to avoid a taxi journey when I go out for a night on the town.

I'm assuming from the matrix below it is possible.

ticket.jpg

I would not count on the bus stopping for you on the route. Likely drive past you.

Anyhow the last bus back from town 18.30.

Why wouldn't it stop? I have not heard any comments on the bus not stopping, and would presume it will stop.

Yet, still have not left the Phuket Forum, alas blessing us all with your complete negativity.

Is there not a Nikorn Nowhere Forum you can join to spout the massive benefits of where you are now? Please post there, not here. You are massively boring.

I would not count on the bus stopping for you on the route. Likely drive past you.

Anyhow the last bus back from town 18.30.

Why wouldn't it stop? I have not heard any comments on the bus not stopping, and would presume it will stop.

Wasn't it reported there was an "agreement" under which the bus was "allowed" to operate, that it would not stop to pick-up, and set down passengers, at will?