Expat = Not normal back home?

puukao

Thailand's sex industry attracts a disproportionate number of misfits, both young and old, than would otherwise find their way here.

Speak for yourself!

Chiang Mai:

The OP is only the most recent of a steady stream of posters who have commented about the idiosyncratic nature of the expat community in Thailand. Whatever the label used: "quirky", "oddball" "antisocial", etc., some have gone so far as to comment that Thailand's expat community is idiosyncratic even when compared to expat communities in neighboring countries such as Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, the Philippines, and Laos. Other than the sex industry, what prominent social dynamic can you point to which might help explain this phenomena?

It's undeniable that Thailand's sex industry attracts many visitors, both tourists and expats alike. You need only look at the high percentage of male visitors travelling solo to confirm this. As unpalatable as this may be for some to hear, the truth is that sex tourists, even casual sex tourists, are probably not the most socially and psychologically well adjusted group of people on the planet.

But if you don't think the sex industry plays a role in this dynamic, that's fine. I'm open to listening to any alternative theories you or others might have.

Please educate us or me anyway. When I travel solo as I travel often I'm a sex-tourist, according to you Right??? OK got it....................jees you self righteous individuals on this site are unbelievable.

And, you're the one who once posted you felt like throwing a little girl out the window because she laughed at your stuttering in the classroom.

Helmsman:

Give it a rest! Sickening, alcoholic post.

My comments are social observation, not moralizing.

I didn't say every male visitor travelling solo to Thailand was a sex tourist. I said the high percentage of male solo visitors to Thailand is related to the sex industry.

Doing my best Paris Jackson imitation: "You're the best Daddy in the whole world.'

Nasty, but you asked for it.

Edited by Gecko123

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speak for yourself!

Chiang Mai:

The OP is only the most recent of a steady stream of posters who have commented about the idiosyncratic nature of the expat community in Thailand. Whatever the label used: "quirky", "oddball" "antisocial", etc., some have gone so far as to comment that Thailand's expat community is idiosyncratic even when compared to expat communities in neighboring countries such as Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, the Philippines, and Laos. Other than the sex industry, what prominent social dynamic can you point to which might help explain this phenomena?

It's undeniable that Thailand's sex industry attracts many visitors, both tourists and expats alike. You need only look at the high percentage of male visitors travelling solo to confirm this. As unpalatable as this may be for some to hear, the truth is that sex tourists are probably not the most socially and psychologically well adjusted group of people on the planet.

But if you don't think the sex industry plays a role in this dynamic, that's fine. I'm open to listening to any alternative theories you or others might have.

Having lived and worked in several countries in the region since the mid 1990's I aware that most countries in SE Asia have a sex industry of some sort, not all are as widely advertised as Thailand, thanks to the UK tabloids, but they are, none the less, all mostly very buoyant industries that thrive and are tolerated well. Even the heavily Muslim countries of Malaysia and Indonesia have them, as do "respectable" territories such as Singapore and Japan (and to quite some degree I might add). So when I compare Thailand to those countries, with a view to the behaviors of the expat contingent in them, honestly, there's not that much difference between them other than attitudes of the host country government.

So to suggest that Thailand attracts more than it fair share of misfits by virtue of its sex industry, is actually a giant step to leap on the basis of thinking there are many single travelers who come here and also quite wide of the mark I suggest. Although I can imagine that views on this subject might be totally opposite given those of a person who lives in say Pattaya and a person who lives where I do in rural northern Thailand. And whilst this is in no way shape or form an attempt to bash Pattaya, a foreigner walking around Pattaya might be forgiven for holding your view simply because the subject is always in your face, 24 hours a day, in rural Chiang Mai province it is 180 degrees about face.

As to the origins of any potentially idiosyncratic tendencies of expats in Thailand and I'm not sure that's actually proven nor measurable: Thailand is a holiday destination known for its relaxed attitudes, beach resorts, hot climate, decent infrastructure and inexpensive living. Neighboring countries have many of those characteristics but none of them have all of those things, pointing at the Thai sex industry as the sole single cause of expat behavior (if indeed it truly is any different here than elsewhere in the region) is naive and very short sighted I suggest.

Maybe pose a question this way how many " expats" would have set themselves up in Thailand if there wasnt such a prominent sex industry ?

Having worked an lived in many countries over the years with "expat" populations have to concide Thailand appears to have large numbers of "broken" or strange expats far more than anywhere else i have been

FWIW I would have, it was always my plan to retire here after living and working in China and Hong Kong for many years, simply, I didn't want to go back to spend my final days in the west and Thailand offered me an opportunity to retire with an above average standard of living and no taxation to speak of. Recent dickheads will pounce on the opportunity to call me a liar when I say that the sex/relationship aspect wasn't a factor in deciding to live here but it's true, At the turn of the century the islands were largely unspoiled and I found the country to be a very desirable place to live, I still do albeit I now live further out from the centre of a city than I used to but it still suits me well. Other expats, sorry, I don't meet any that haven't been here for less than fifteen years, that being by chance and by design since I don't go out of my way to meet the same.

Give me a break with the "I live in a 'special' Thailand talk." And just for the record…I don't live in Isaan.

And the Bard's name is spelled Shakespeare. Have your uni educated wife proofread your posts next time. cheesy.gif

OK got it now, an American English teacher, with vast amounts of experience of life in Thailand/Issan, right!

Been coming here since 1986, living here since 2003. How that's related to this thread, though, escapes me.

Speak for yourself!

Chiang Mai:

It's undeniable that Thailand's sex industry attracts many visitors, both tourists and expats alike. You need only look at the high percentage of male visitors travelling solo to confirm this. As unpalatable as this may be for some to hear, the truth is that sex tourists are probably not the most socially and psychologically well adjusted group of people on the planet.

Having lived and worked in several countries in the region since the mid 1990's I aware that most countries in SE Asia have a sex industry of some sort, not all are as widely advertised as Thailand, thanks to the UK tabloids, but they are, none the less, all mostly very buoyant industries that thrive and are tolerated well. Even the heavily Muslim countries of Malaysia and Indonesia have them, as do "respectable" territories such as Singapore and Japan (and to quite some degree I might add). So when I compare Thailand to those countries, with a view to the behaviors of the expat contingent in them, honestly, there's not that much difference between them other than attitudes of the host country government.

So to suggest that Thailand attracts more than it fair share of misfits by virtue of its sex industry, is actually a giant step to leap on the basis of thinking there are many single travelers who come here and also quite wide of the mark I suggest. Although I can imagine that views on this subject might be totally opposite given those of a person who lives in say Pattaya and a person who lives where I do in rural northern Thailand. And whilst this is in no way shape or form an attempt to bash Pattaya, a foreigner walking around Pattaya might be forgiven for holding your view simply because the subject is always in your face, 24 hours a day, in rural Chiang Mai province it is 180 degrees about face.

As to the origins of any potentially idiosyncratic tendencies of expats in Thailand and I'm not sure that's actually proven nor measurable: Thailand is a holiday destination known for its relaxed attitudes, beach resorts, hot climate, decent infrastructure and inexpensive living. Neighboring countries have many of those characteristics but none of them have all of those things, pointing at the Thai sex industry as the sole single cause of expat behavior (if indeed it truly is any different here than elsewhere in the region) is naive and very short sighted I suggest.

Maybe pose a question this way how many " expats" would have set themselves up in Thailand if there wasnt such a prominent sex industry ?

Having worked an lived in many countries over the years with "expat" populations have to concide Thailand appears to have large numbers of "broken" or strange expats far more than anywhere else i have been

FWIW I would have, it was always my plan to retire here after living and working in China and Hong Kong for many years, simply, I didn't want to go back to spend my final days in the west and Thailand offered me an opportunity to retire with an above average standard of living and no taxation to speak of. Recent dickheads will pounce on the opportunity to call me a liar when I say that the sex/relationship aspect wasn't a factor in deciding to live here but it's true, At the turn of the century the islands were largely unspoiled and I found the country to be a very desirable place to live, I still do albeit I now live further out from the centre of a city than I used to but it still suits me well. Other expats, sorry, I don't meet any that haven't been here for less than fifteen years, that being by chance and by design since I don't go out of my way to meet the same.

I am still working here and after nearly 15 years here, my current plan is not to retire here, after nearly 25 years being on the road so to speak, i want to go home to retire

As we sit right now, now add a few more years that plan may change as well

Edited by Soutpeel

For the OP, if you lived in the US or the EU today, wouldn't you leave as fast as you could? That is if you have an IQ higher than your shoe size and can read the warning signs without being spoon-fed by the MSM... I moved as far away from the US as I could without leaving the planet... It's called self-preservation... Thailand is still basically an agrarian society and the BHT is not heavily speculated outside the country... In other words, there are minimal foreign derivatives exposure on the BHT and it is circulated in-country... When the SHTF, Thailand will be one of the last, best places to be IMO... If you don't think the SWHTF, then you aren't paying attention...

As far as the odd-balls, yes, I have met more than my share... I find that if you stay away from riff-raff and only associate with people having similar backgrounds, interests and income you lessen the risk of being lumped into the odd-ball category yourself...

Speak for yourself!

Chiang Mai:

That could be your issue. There's a heap of youngish professionals working here in various capacities. All you meet is old retired or close to retired people.

OB

Speak for yourself!

Chiang Mai:

That could be your issue. There's a heap of youngish professionals working here in various capacities. All you meet is old retired or close to retired people.

OB

Must confess in my 15 years working here have met some of the " youngish professionals" and havent been overly impressed with them either LOL

Speak for yourself!

Chiang Mai:

OB

Must confess in my 15 years working here have met some of the " youngish professionals" and havent been overly impressed with them either LOL

Fair enough. All we have to go on are our own experiences.

OB

I started learning Chinese even before Nixon made his visit to China in 1972. Didn't make it myself to China until 1988 when the locals were amazed that I could read and write better than speak Mandarin. Started learning Thai around the same time.

As per CNX above when I first went to China, all communication had to be done by TELEX. Travelers Checks were the only way to exchange money unless you carried a lot of cash. So not normal? Never was normal.

Just as I thought... you're a multi-lingual international spy. biggrin.png

For the OP, if you lived in the US or the EU today, wouldn't you leave as fast as you could? That is if you have an IQ higher than your shoe size and can read the warning signs without being spoon-fed by the MSM... I moved as far away from the US as I could without leaving the planet... It's called self-preservation... Thailand is still basically an agrarian society and the BHT is not heavily speculated outside the country... In other words, there are minimal foreign derivatives exposure on the BHT and it is circulated in-country... When the SHTF, Thailand will be one of the last, best places to be IMO... If you don't think the SWHTF, then you aren't paying attention...

As far as the odd-balls, yes, I have met more than my share... I find that if you stay away from riff-raff and only associate with people having similar backgrounds, interests and income you lessen the risk of being lumped into the odd-ball category yourself...

I do believe we have the same trajectory.

I didn't say every male visitor travelling solo to Thailand was a sex tourist. I said the high percentage of male solo visitors to Thailand is related to the sex industry.

gecko - Are you making your observations at the Airport, if your observations are made in the neighborhood of beer bars, then what does that say about yourself.

Speak for yourself!

Chiang Mai:

OB

I've also met a few of them, the ones I have met were overly wealthy, as a result of benefiting from money left to them by parents and had now come to Thailand because it was a convenient escape, with desirable creature comforts they could afford here but couldn't really afford back home. I'm not sure but I don't think those things make either one of us a weird sexpat, which is what was implied earlier by one idiot.

gecko - Are you making your observations at the Airport, if your observations are made in the neighborhood of beer bars, then what does that say about yourself.

It's not an observation. It's a statistic. I have been unsuccessful so far in identifying a web reference, but I have definitely read this in the past.

Update: 8:15 PM:

http://www.wri-irg.org/de/node/12026:

The ratio of male tourists to female tourists in Thailand is 2:1, according to a report by the International Labour Office entitled “From Peasant Girls to Bangkok Masseuses”.

https://books.google.co.th/books?id=BlyLAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA197&lpg=PA197&dq=percentage+of+male+visitors+to+thailand&source=bl&ots=xhvlH_XruQ&sig=ze6rVsu6zu30MmYgivHbdMqIS44&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDEQ6AEwBGoVChMIhIOOp4LqxwIVFUyOCh0DOwbE#v=onepage&q=percentage%20of%20male%20visitors%20to%20thailand&f=false:

"An estimated 60% of tourists to Thailand are men."

Edited by Gecko123

According to Wikipedia there were 24,809,683 foreign visitors to Thailand in 2014.

If the figure that 60% were male is correct, the breakdown would be:

14,885,810 men

9,923,873 women

or 4,961,937 more men than women visited Thailand in 2014.

However you are leaving out the sexpat part of the equation which you don't see so obviously out here in the provinces but is very obvious in Sin City and other places 'down there'.

Doesn't chasing sex when 50+ class a person as adventurous?

Have you never had sex with a local?

Marrying a local, doesn't stop you being a sexpat!

It all depends on how you feel about your wife. If you love your Thai wife being a sexpat doesn't matter anymore.

When I find myself musing about expats and their many incarnations I am struck with how different todays expats are from those who were here in the mid-seventies when I arrived. Aside from the military guys who stayed on after the Vietnam war, there really weren’t any retirees back then.

Motivations and mindset were different, aside from the fact that Thai women played a part even back then. People weren’t rejects from social housing, trailer parks or slums. They weren’t people who couldn’t survive back home, they were people who wanted more from life. Maybe it is a small difference but they seemed to be running after or toward something rather than running away.

Those kinds of people still find there way to Thailand but they are dwarfed in number by this new breed of expat. Those of us who started exploring the world right out of university are underrepresented in this modern age so we resign ourselves to having little in common with modern expats. In terms of numbers we are not the norm or normal I guess.

Agree 100%.

1. They had personality and individuality and were very positive.

2. They had ambition to be different and embrace it.

3. They didn't just jump on a 400 quid one way flight, to get away from something.

4. They weren't looking for the conveyor belt Thai wife.

5. They discovered Thailand and liked it. Not because it had easy " women"

6. They were young.

7. Weren't worried about pensions, being ripped off, security, where the nearest hospital was. Being called a farang, and all the absolute nonsense that is written in here.

8. Issaan was to be avoided unless doing voluntary work.

9. They didn't bring many prejudices with them because they didn't have many.

10. Most worked.

However the new breed experience something different but new to them. I just feel jaded by the Thailand that has been lost.

The retirees have changed the landscape here. For better or for worse..much more than the Russians or the Chinese they so seem to disparage.

Most interestingly if you read some of the threads they seem to think they know better than some who have lived here 30 plus years and have been exposed to all facets of Thai life and their institutions..

Everywhere changes..

One thing in common..not normal back home..I think the answer is yes..

When I first arrived here back in 1993 it was just another job in another country of the 38 I have worked in in my 50 year working life. But Thailand sort of got under my skin and I was lucky enough to come back a few times. I met a nice Thai lady on my first working trip and eventually married her 7 years later after divorcing my UK wife

Chile and Venezuela were OK places too but I never went back there. Angola, Pakistan, Bangladesh were not the places you really want to go back to.

Chiang Mai:

Maybe pose a question this way how many " expats" would have set themselves up in Thailand if there wasn't such a prominent sex industry ?

Having worked an lived in many countries over the years with "expat" populations have to coincide Thailand appears to have large numbers of "broken" or strange expats far more than anywhere else i have been

Me for one plus many of of my friends in the engineering industry who came here to work because of the job opportunities.

According to Wikipedia there were 24,809,683 foreign visitors to Thailand in 2014.

14,885,810 men

9,923,873 women

I trust that my family visits to Scotland will not attract the same opprobium now that the family has repatriated to the Old Country.

The fact is that the males go out hunting revenue and return with the spoils to the home camp. So of course there are more male travellers.. Some amongst us choose to leave their clan in the arms of their in-laws in Thailand, some relocate to the Old Country. What us the ratio of male travellers to female for Scotland? Ohio?

SC

14,885,810 men

9,923,873 women

I trust that my family visits to Scotland will not attract the same opprobium now that the family has repatriated to the Old Country.

The fact is that the males go out hunting revenue and return with the spoils to the home camp. So of course there are more male travellers.. Some amongst us choose to leave their clan in the arms of their in-laws in Thailand, some relocate to the Old Country. What us the ratio of male travellers to female for Scotland? Ohio?

SC

Its so miniscule its not worth discussing.

14,885,810 men

9,923,873 women

SC

Its so miniscule its not worth discussing.

Evidence?

Rationale for claim without evidence?

Or just ignorant prejudice?

SC

I can understand a claim that most people who return to Scotland to visit their families are Scottish, and therefore are not recorded as visitors.

I can understand that Scotland is such an attractive destination that family visitors are a trivial number compared to holiday makers.

What is the basis for your claim? And why do you not consider it worth discussing?

SC

I was stumped on that BHT acronym as the Thai baht is usually abbreviated THB but in looking at the Urban Dictionary I found 'Big Hairy Tits' as one possible explanation.

Apologies extended... I'm on Koh Phi Phi Don at the moment and drinking out of a bucket... thumbsup.gif

I am still working here and after nearly 15 years here, my current plan is not to retire here, after nearly 25 years being on the road so to speak, i want to go home to retire

@Soutpeel:

"I am still working here and after nearly 15 years here, my current plan is not to retire here, after nearly 25 years being on the road so to speak, i want to go home to retire

As we sit right now, now add a few more years that plan may change as well".

I can remember when I thought similar things and then over time my desire to return to the country of my birth diminished. Trips would become shorter and the pleasure gained from began to shrink until such time as I actually didn't look forward to going. It wasn't that I had become unpatriotic or that I didn't like the country per se, it was really three things that came together: the first was the weather which always seemed to be miserable and cold no matter what time of year I went or the the part of the country I visited. Oh sure, the novelty of waking up and seeing pretty frost covered fields and feeling that bite in the morning as the cold air snapped at my face, great, but the novelty soon wore off.

The second thing was the quality of food stuffs and the price to be paid for good quality food. Living in hotels and not being able to cook for my self was of course a factor but even going out to lunch or dinner I found the standards and quality to be appallingly low. And I'm sorry, there's only so many times per week that a person can enjoy a real English breakfast or a pork pie.

But the clincher for me was the attitudes of the people who for the most part seemed to be just as insular and self centered as they were when I left many years earlier. People seemed to care about property prices, the price of a pint and whether Liverpool will or will not and that was about it. Walking into a traditional pub in a quaint little village one lunch time I thought for a moment I was going to get smashed in the face for simply smiling and looking at people, good morning, what do you bloody mean good morning kinda thing, really!

Finally, there's a process I went through which is really silly but I can't believe I'm unique in this respect. After living here for many years I actually found myself getting upset that I had lost access to the UK NHS service, couldn't open a UK bank account, my state pension would be frozen and that I would eventually loose my UK drivers license, that sort of stuff. Bloody heck I thought at one point, I need to get back quickly, they're taking away my rights and my identity. See, I told you it was silly! But then I slapped myself and realized that I actually don't need those things anyway so just let them go, in fact, there's really nothing from UK Plc that I do absolutely need, apart from my passport.

So, if my experience is anything to go by and I have read of others who experienced similar, my guess is that the dream of returning to Blighty for retirement might be just a dream and not the reality of what you really want, except you haven't found that out yet. Regardless, good luck in whatever you decide and I hope it works out for you.

Edited by chiang mai

The second thing was the quality of food stuffs and the price to be paid for good quality food. Living in hotels and not being able to cook for my self was of course a factor but even going out to lunch or dinner I found the standards and quality to be appallingly low.

I had a very similar reaction to restaurant food during a recent visit to Seattle.

Edited by Gecko123

I was not normal back home and everybody seemed to want to remind me of it as in 'why don't you do this' or 'why don't you do that' or 'how come you never fill-in-the-blank' -- Here I am not normal and other than persons on this website nobody really cares.

I was not normal back home and everybody seemed to want to remind me of it as in 'why don't you do this' or 'why don't you do that' or 'how come you never fill-in-the-blank' -- Here I am not normal and other than persons on this website nobody really cares.

Define "normal".

Define "normal".

University education

career and regular employment

wife and kids

regular social activities ie golf, tennis, gardening club, etc.

Upwardly mobile

remain in one place long enough to be established part of community

not doing things I care not to talk about

Edited by JLCrab

My two closest friends here are complete wackos. I guess that makes me one too.

You know what though? They are the two best friends I have ever had in my life. Sure, back home they would get some real odd looks, but they are never boring, they are kind hearted, loyal, trustworthy and a whole lot of fun.

As for myself, the term "eccentric" has been something I have been dragging around as long as I can remember, no matter where I have lived. It doesn't bother me at all, I would rather be seen as being a bit weird by people I don't really attribute any value to, than be a sheep.

@Soutpeel:

"I am still working here and after nearly 15 years here, my current plan is not to retire here, after nearly 25 years being on the road so to speak, i want to go home to retire

As we sit right now, now add a few more years that plan may change as well".

I can remember when I thought similar things and then over time my desire to return to the country of my birth diminished. Trips would become shorter and the pleasure gained from began to shrink until such time as I actually didn't look forward to going. It wasn't that I had become unpatriotic or that I didn't like the country per se, it was really three things that came together: the first was the weather which always seemed to be miserable and cold no matter what time of year I went or the the part of the country I visited. Oh sure, the novelty of waking up and seeing pretty frost covered fields and feeling that bite in the morning as the cold air snapped at my face, great, but the novelty soon wore off.

The second thing was the quality of food stuffs and the price to be paid for good quality food. Living in hotels and not being able to cook for my self was of course a factor but even going out to lunch or dinner I found the standards and quality to be appallingly low. And I'm sorry, there's only so many times per week that a person can enjoy a real English breakfast or a pork pie.

But the clincher for me was the attitudes of the people who for the most part seemed to be just as insular and self centered as they were when I left many years earlier. People seemed to care about property prices, the price of a pint and whether Liverpool will or will not and that was about it. Walking into a traditional pub in a quaint little village one lunch time I thought for a moment I was going to get smashed in the face for simply smiling and looking at people, good morning, what do you bloody mean good morning kinda thing, really!

Finally, there's a process I went through which is really silly but I can't believe I'm unique in this respect. After living here for many years I actually found myself getting upset that I had lost access to the UK NHS service, couldn't open a UK bank account, my state pension would be frozen and that I would eventually loose my UK drivers license, that sort of stuff. Bloody heck I thought at one point, I need to get back quickly, they're taking away my rights and my identity. See, I told you it was silly! But then I slapped myself and realized that I actually don't need those things anyway so just let them go, in fact, there's really nothing from UK Plc that I do absolutely need, apart from my passport.

So, if my experience is anything to go by and I have read of others who experienced similar, my guess is that the dream of returning to Blighty for retirement might be just a dream and not the reality of what you really want, except you haven't found that out yet. Regardless, good luck in whatever you decide and I hope it works out for you.

Ok but fair enough but I am not referring to Blighty although i am entitled to retire there, if i wished

that wasnt what i was referring to by "going home " and not the place of my birth either

if the only option i had was a toss up between Blighty and Thailand i would stay in Thailand as well