Name This Snake

Nikkijah

How about this one ?

White Lipped Pit Viper

Naka.

Maybe Trimeresurus erythrusus? Looks like it. http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_quer...+0000+0604+0068

Although erythrusus seems to be mainly found in Burma. Probably it is the albolabris (white-lipped) which is more common according to the net info out there. Another common Palm Viper in Thailand is the Trimeresurus borneensis. A friend of mine in Pattaya had Malayan Pit Vipers that he found in his garden. There seem to be many of these snakes found in heavily populated urban areas in Thailand. I've had a cobra (Isaan Spitting) found in my kitchen in the village, hidden under the refrigerator, and have seen them in the area, usually crossing roads. These green tree vipers seem to be common from stories I have heard from friends who have encountered them in their gardens and yards, but I myself have never seen one. Nice pics, Nikkijah.

Cent

Edited by Cent

How about this one ?

White Lipped Pit Viper

Naka.

Maybe Trimeresurus erythrusus? Looks like it. http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_quer...+0000+0604+0068

Although erythrusus seems to be mainly found in Burma. Probably it is the albolabris (white-lipped) which is more common according to the net info out there. Another common Palm Viper in Thailand is the Trimeresurus borneensis. A friend of mine in Pattaya had Malayan Pit Vipers that he found in his garden. There seem to be many of these snakes found in heavily populated urban areas in Thailand. I've had a cobra (Isaan Spitting) found in my kitchen in the village, hidden under the refrigerator, and have seen them in the area, usually crossing roads. These green tree vipers seem to be common from stories I have heard from friends who have encountered them in their gardens and yards, but I myself have never seen one. Nice pics, Nikkijah.

Cent

Cheers for that Cent, I think my snake must have been sick or about to change in some way as it's quite a few shades darker than any of the pics that other posters have offered, this one in your pic looks evil! - ready to bite! My snake looked like it was after a hug :D:o

Any idea about the big lump just above it's tail? I though it might be food but it was so far down, perhaps it was eggs?

We have lived here just over three years and have killed fifteen snakes in that time, ranging from a few inches long to over 8 foot.The latest was on the window security grille and I very unsportingly sneaked up on it with a pair of long handled secateurs and cut it's head off ! The body stayed on the widow grille and when I took it off it tried to wriggle away.

Another was was a silver coloured one I've never seen before and one was big and dangerous and took three of us to corner and kill. We live next to waste land and a banana plantation.

They can move like lightning when they have to and I would want to be step on one unexpectedly.

In the middle picture that's a steel one-foot ruler against the snake for size comparison.

post-6335-1159356774_thumb.jpg

post-6335-1159356845_thumb.jpg

post-6335-1159356865_thumb.jpg

Edited by lungbing

We have lived here just over three years and have killed fifteen snakes in that time, ranging from a few inches long to over 8 foot.The latest was on the window security grille and I very unsportingly sneaked up on it with a pair of long handled secateurs and cut it's head off ! The body stayed on the widow grille and when I took it off it tried to wriggle away.

Another was was a silver coloured one I've never seen before and one was big and dangerous and took three of us to corner and kill. We live next to waste land and a banana plantation.

They can move like lightning when they have to and I would want to be step on one unexpectedly.

In the middle picture that's a steel one-foot ruler against the snake for size comparison.

I'd say that is pretty f*****g sick actually!

Sounds like fun for you, I certainly didn't want to see your pics either!

Some snakes need removing, I'll admit to that, but by the look of your third pic it looks like you just hammered the thing to a pulp, some people may have considered calling the police to come and remove it...

Found this sluggish viper looking snake in our garden today, it had clearly just swallowed something as it couldn't be bothered to move away from us, either that or it simply didn't give a toss about me :D plus the big bulge at the rear end gave it away - I didn't know food travelled that far down before being digested - maybe this snake has problems :o Maybe 'she's preggers!

I say it looks like a viper because of the shape of the head and the position of it's 'nostrils'(or pits) but for all I know vipers might not exist in thailand...

Any ideas?

ngou_1.jpg

ngou_2.jpg

Try this link:

http://www.venomousreptiles.org/libraries/Crotalinae%20II/1

Looks like a Trimeresurus Albolabris, pit viper.

Also at a medical site: http://cat.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/9/4/337

"The green pit viper (Trimeresurus albolabris and Trimeresurus macrops) is a common venomous snake in Thailand"

Suphan Soogarun

Department of Clinical Microscopy, Faculty of Allied Health Science, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand 10330

Viroj Wiwanitkit

Department of Laboratory Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand

Jamsai Suwansaksrit

Department of Clinical Chemistry, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand

So, yes, Thailand has pit vipers for sure. :-)

Edited by PuaSai

Found this sluggish viper looking snake in our garden today, it had clearly just swallowed something as it couldn't be bothered to move away from us, either that or it simply didn't give a toss about me :D plus the big bulge at the rear end gave it away - I didn't know food travelled that far down before being digested - maybe this snake has problems :o Maybe 'she's preggers!

I say it looks like a viper because of the shape of the head and the position of it's 'nostrils'(or pits) but for all I know vipers might not exist in thailand...

Any ideas?

ngou_1.jpg

ngou_2.jpg

Try this link:

http://www.venomousreptiles.org/libraries/Crotalinae%20II/1

Looks like a Trimeresurus Albolabris, pit viper.

"The green pit viper (Trimeresurus albolabris and Trimeresurus macrops) is a common venomous snake in Thailand" Suphan Soogarun

Department of Clinical Microscopy, Faculty of Allied Health Science, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand 10330

Viroj Wiwanitkit

Department of Laboratory Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand

Jamsai Suwansaksrit

Department of Clinical Chemistry, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand

So, yes, Thailand has pit vipers for sure. :-)

Thanks PuaSai, unfortunately it's dead now :D

Not sure what heppened to it, some idiot might have whacked it or it may have eaten something funny :D although I doubt it...