Can they stop me from smoking on my balcony ?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well you started the tip-for-tat complaining so back at yer!

I would simply ignore it, and since you do not smoke on your balcony often it should not be recurrent problem (unless you complain about her cleaning her balcony again that is).

Does the lady above spend a lot of time on her balcony or leave the door open?

You should have immediately told them you do not smoke, ie Thai solution, lie!

Always wear a big hat out there when you smoke then you can say it wasn't you.

Neighbours.

I respect her right to not want smoke in or around her balcony but when you move into a building with no restrictions and the entire building is smoking permitted it is crazy to try to make a power play to stop only one unit. If they imposed the no smoking on the entire building then it would be a different matter but to only single out one unit it is not right. I am not the owner but I would think they would object to this restriction as it is an investment unit and I am sure they would want the option to sell it to a smoker as perhaps 25 % of buyers or renters smoke. Basically the management is very poor and just trying to shut her up and pass the buck and gave me this complaint letter. They were afraid to tell her no and was hoping perhaps I would just fold and comply because I am a farang, that's my thoughts on the matter.

If you think you have problems in condos in Bangkok, you should come to Lumpini Onnut 46.......its one of the worst places where you get to see lower thai life forms living like dirty uncivilised pigs! I bought a number of units there thinking it was cheap and renovated three units to combine them into one big unit with two bedrooms, three bathrooms, one living room, one dinning, two kitchens and a storage plus I spent a fortune on making the interior look like a palace......and then....I got a culture shock living with lower income thais.....they dirty the corridors, they sweep their dirt on the corridors, smoke from balconies and throw their cigaraettes down, washing balconies with water dripping down, having so many people in their studio units, talking loudly, screams, filthy smells, the top floors move their furnitures loudly at night, the lift lobby is dirty and filthy, the maids are lazy, management complacent, the lower floors smells like sewage works....mind you these are people who work as bank tellers, office staff, sales staff, hotel staff, etc. I am just booked a single stand alone house in a sansiri development nearby and waiting for it to be ready to move. My advice to foreigners, never buy cheap lower end thai condos unless you are filthy and just as uncivilised as the locals who stay there. Lumpini used to be a good developer as I have units of their elsewhere like Chaengwattana which is good but they have recently gone down and their property management really stinks these days.

I would ask management if the heavy smokers have received complaint letters. You shouldn't be singled out because of another issue.

That said, its still a dirty habit that offends a lot of people. When you smoke on your balcony, more often than not, it is going into someone else's condo.

I know. I live downwind from 8 other units and its a real drag when I want to leave the windows open but can't because cigarette smoke

is coming in.

The smartest long term strategy here is for you to give up smoking.

The hag above is trying to save your life for Christ's sake.

now that was a different response. To be honest I don't really smoke ... Just a few times a year and only when drinking. When I entertain however sometimes people like to smoke and a quick trip out on the balcony for 10 minutes is all it takes. If not this it is traveling down to the first floor and exiting the building and then returning. A major deal just for a smoke. Besides everyone else can so why should my balcony be different. The lady can close her window for 10 minutes if she don't like. And in addition how does she know the smoke is coming from my balcony and not another condo ?

It's just not right ! It would be the same as someone telling you you can not talk on your balcony because it bothers them.

Just because everybody else does it, it does not mean you have to. Be the better man and stop, I'm sure you will feel better for it.

Let the man run his own life, not you or any other dumb <deleted>, now the washing her balcony and the water going onto his balcony is more of a no no.

It really is not nice to sit in your lounge and somebodies smoke blow in through the window. Why not have a thought for somebody else and keep your filthy habit to yourself. Have some consideration for others and stop being a selfish pig. If I was her I would add something foul smelling to the water. Asking a smoker to be considerate is a waste of time and only rules and fines will stop them.

Why not think of others? I stopped washing my balcony when the person below stopped smoking on the balcony. I am sure the lady above you would do the same.

I got a letter today from my condo management on Suk 81 area in Bkk saying I could not smoke on my balcony because it bothered the lady directly above me. I live on the 15th floor and there are about 200 units in the building and no rules about smoking. Fanny part is I don't really smoke except once in awhile when I have visitors. Another crazy thing is that the condo under mine and directly beside mine have heavy smokers who are out there all day long smoking. I tried to explain at the office that it is not correct to say I can not smoke on my condo balcony if everyone else can and they can not request this just because one lady complains.

I complained about this lady washing her balcony all the time and getting dirty water on my cloths I just hung out so perhaps she has been trying to figure out something to complain about.... Can they enforce this no smoking ? What would you do if this happened to you ?

If the condo regulations limit smoking in public areas then you cannot smoke on your balcony. Smoke will reach other units and often people throw cigarettes over the balcony potentially creating fire hazards and being a nuisance.

If one doesn't like condo rules one should not live there. It's a common community of co owners who agree on rules and regulations. That the law of the land to have it this way.

I believe you can smoke inside your unit though.

What does it say on your lease?

no mention of smoking one way or the other. The office used a different approach saying I was creating a problem with others. Same they would do if you were making too much noise.

A lease doesn't override the handbook of the JP. What's in the handbook is what counts. Lease is irrelevant

I got a letter today from my condo management on Suk 81 area in Bkk saying I could not smoke on my balcony because it bothered the lady directly above me. I live on the 15th floor and there are about 200 units in the building and no rules about smoking. Fanny part is I don't really smoke except once in awhile when I have visitors. Another crazy thing is that the condo under mine and directly beside mine have heavy smokers who are out there all day long smoking. I tried to explain at the office that it is not correct to say I can not smoke on my condo balcony if everyone else can and they can not request this just because one lady complains.

I complained about this lady washing her balcony all the time and getting dirty water on my cloths I just hung out so perhaps she has been trying to figure out something to complain about.... Can they enforce this no smoking ? What would you do if this happened to you ?

The jouristic person of your condo is obligated to act on complaints even if they're stupid.. Maybe have a chat with the woman who complained and as how you can minimize her irritation with your habit. IMO, they can't tell you not to smoke on your own balcony.

If the condo regulations limit smoking in public areas then you cannot smoke on your balcony. Smoke will reach other units and often people throw cigarettes over the balcony potentially creating fire hazards and being a nuisance.

If one doesn't like condo rules one should not live there. It's a common community of co owners who agree on rules and regulations. That the law of the land to have it this way.

there are no regulations regarding smoking in the building. I asked to see and they said people can smoke on their balcony but I can not because someone complained about my unit. So everyone else can sit and smoke, even the one who has complained, but I can not ??? I think it is just retarded that they could even suggest such a thing. They imposed a rule about bothering other units. Same as making too much noise. It would be fine except I am not doing anything out of the ordinary, in 4 months people have only smoked 4 times on my balcony so I think I am better than 99% of the others.

My GF who is Thai just told me to forget about it and do what I want. She said the lady is out of line as I almost never smoke anyhow.

My real question is are there any legal issues or anything the building can really do or is this just a paper tiger ?

Thai law prohibits people from smoking in common areas in condo buildings, just as it does in shops and cinemas and what-have-you. Some condo buildings consider the balconies of units to be common areas also. So whether you can smoke on "your" balcony or not rather depends on the individual interpretation that the building has of the status of that balcony.

Also most if not all buildings will have rules and regulations that prevent co-owners from annoying other co-owners, and there can be little doubt that smelly smoke (or smelly cooking) can be an annoyance.

Before the coup there was talk of a project of law that would prohibit all smoking anywhere in condo buildings including inside individual units, but I have no idea of how far it progressed towards being enacted.

Balcony can never be common area because it's included into the PAID surface of your condo.

Thai law prohibits people from smoking in common areas in condo buildings, just as it does in shops and cinemas and what-have-you. Some condo buildings consider the balconies of units to be common areas also. So whether you can smoke on "your" balcony or not rather depends on the individual interpretation that the building has of the status of that balcony.

Also most if not all buildings will have rules and regulations that prevent co-owners from annoying other co-owners, and there can be little doubt that smelly smoke (or smelly cooking) can be an annoyance.

Before the coup there was talk of a project of law that would prohibit all smoking anywhere in condo buildings including inside individual units, but I have no idea of how far it progressed towards being enacted.

Where I live, balconies are considered to be part of the common area (daft, I know). I'm a non-smoker but personally have never been bothered by other people smoking on their balconies. What I do object to is those inconsiderate individuals who then throw their cigarette ends over the balcony.

Alan

there are no regulations regarding smoking in the building. I asked to see and they said people can smoke on their balcony but I can not because someone complained about my unit. So everyone else can sit and smoke, even the one who has complained, but I can not ??? I think it is just retarded that they could even suggest such a thing. They imposed a rule about bothering other units. Same as making too much noise. It would be fine except I am not doing anything out of the ordinary, in 4 months people have only smoked 4 times on my balcony so I think I am better than 99% of the others.

My GF who is Thai just told me to forget about it and do what I want. She said the lady is out of line as I almost never smoke anyhow.

My real question is are there any legal issues or anything the building can really do or is this just a paper tiger ?

No, they probably can't force you to stop. But that does not stop you being considerate to your neighbor It has nothing to do with you being a farang, but a smoker.

It seems that you need a rule to stop your habit annoying other people. Why not just smoke inside you condo and not upset you neighbor. Are you sure it is only water coming down from above? maybe she is adding something obnoxious?

Yes, you probably cannot be forced to stop smoking on the balcony. But, that does not stop you being considerate to you neighbor and only smoking inside your condo.

I don't blame her. Second hand smoke stinks. If you only smoke a few times a year anyway, do the decent thing and do it elsewhere.

He is doing it in the privacy on his own balcony, where do you suggest he goes?

Smoking is gross and, to non smokers, it stinks, badly. Why battle to continue such a nasty, expensive habit that will always generate pushback, which, over the years seems, thankfully, that pushback seems to be growing.

now that was a different response. To be honest I don't really smoke ... Just a few times a year and only when drinking. When I entertain however sometimes people like to smoke and a quick trip out on the balcony for 10 minutes is all it takes. If not this it is traveling down to the first floor and exiting the building and then returning. A major deal just for a smoke. Besides everyone else can so why should my balcony be different. The lady can close her window for 10 minutes if she don't like. And in addition how does she know the smoke is coming from my balcony and not another condo ?

It's just not right ! It would be the same as someone telling you you can not talk on your balcony because it bothers them.

Just because everybody else does it, it does not mean you have to. Be the better man and stop, I'm sure you will feel better for it.
Let the man run his own life, not you or any other dumb <deleted>, now the washing her balcony and the water going onto his balcony is more of a no no.

I'm guessing that you are a filthy selfish smoker too, who doesn't give a damn about anybody else other than yourself.

Balcony can never be common area because it's included into the PAID surface of your condo.

You are wrong, hence my comment that "some condo buildings consider the balconies of units to be common areas also". In my building the balcony walls and railings are painted by the building because they are considered to be common areas.

Where I live, balconies are considered to be part of the common area (daft, I know). I'm a non-smoker but personally have never been bothered by other people smoking on their balconies. What I do object to is those inconsiderate individuals who then throw their cigarette ends over the balcony.

Alan

I dont believe this, can you send some proof

I don't blame her. Second hand smoke stinks. If you only smoke a few times a year anyway, do the decent thing and do it elsewhere.

He is doing it in the privacy on his own balcony, where do you suggest he goes?

Smoking is gross and, to non smokers, it stinks, badly. Why battle to continue such a nasty, expensive habit that will always generate pushback, which, over the years seems, thankfully, that pushback seems to be growing.
I understand where you are coming from and agree in some respect. On the other hand, if you owned a condo as an investment and a smoker was interested in buying the unit but would not if he could not smoke would you still be ok even though you were being singled out in your building. The only condo with restrictions. You ca stand on your balcony and everyone is smoking around you but you can not ? Keep in mind that there are over 200 condos in this building and no regulations regarding smoking on your balcony.

Your last sentence rang a bell for me, I remember talking on the phone to my Ex. back home while standing on my balcony. Half way through the conversation I heard a big yell..."OK, just tell her you love her and let us all get some sleep". I was rooted to the floor, hadn't realized that I could be heard by others in the building...I still try to remember that instance and am careful of what I say on the phone while standing on balconies. There is no need for the NSA in some cases for people to know what one's talking about. By the way, I'm one of the one's who complains when people are shouting on the phone, guess in some instances I might be the pot that is calling the kettle black.

It really is not nice to sit in your lounge and somebodies smoke blow in through the window. Why not have a thought for somebody else and keep your filthy habit to yourself. Have some consideration for others and stop being a selfish pig. If I was her I would add something foul smelling to the water. Asking a smoker to be considerate is a waste of time and only rules and fines will stop them.

Why not think of others? I stopped washing my balcony when the person below stopped smoking on the balcony. I am sure the lady above you would do the same.

"and stop being a selfish pig."

I really love the friendly atmosphere of ThaiVisa sometimes... the OP told us he hardly smoked on his own balcony from time to time but he is called a selfish pig by a fellow TV member tongue.png

Smoking on the Balcony has been banned in our apartment - I don't know how they enforce the ban but I think its a good idea.

Like the Op, I'm a part time smoker... i.e. I enjoy a cheeky smoke once in a while when I feel like it.

One think I am certain of, I would hate it if someone else felt uncomfortable because of my smoking, as such I agree with the Ban.

-----

That said: It appears this is not an apartment wide ban - It appears that the the Op has specifically been singled out. Perhaps because he complained about the lady doing he washing. It seems that in return she has simply made a childish return accusation.

What are the Ops options: Request an Apartment wide ban if they wish him to stop smoking, request re-confirmatoin that the lady is not to do her washing on the balcony splashing excess water.

The Op would be best to tell his Apartment Management that he is happy to comply with all measures ensuring 'social harmony' and thinks they are an excellent idea, these measures must equal for everyone in the condo.

-----

Living in a Condo is almost like communal living - In any society the weakness is its weakest person. i.e. the idiots who have no consideration for others.

Fortunately the Condo I live in takes these measures quite seriously... i.e. No Pets, No laundry on the Balcony, Posters in the lift reminding others to keep the noise of their TV down, posters to remind people not to slam doors etc etc... One lad recently was nearly kicked out because his car was too loud (Modified Lotus Exige - lots of engine revving) - the guy liked our apartment and has complied to try and be as quiet as possible.

Its part of my job to ensure my family and I are considerate neighbours - this means that if my Son has a cry I take him into the bedroom so that he can't be heard in Condo Corridor etc. Simple stuff, but thinking of others makes a difference.

Now, if some of the people would be more courteous and hold an elevator for others !

Richard_smith237... Everything you posted makes sense and if a total smoking ban for the building was taken I would be fine with that and would comply. I mean there is only smoking on my balcony about once a month for 20 minutes... Hahaha. It really is not such a major deal for me but it is the point that I will not be bullied by this person. Even though I don't normally smoke I should still have the same rights as all the other people in the building.

Sounds more like the O/P is suffering a case of farang loss of face than any real restrictions on him.

If you only smoke a couple of times a year and have to do it on the balcony, it hardly amounts to an imposition. Hard to believe anyone would monitor it 365 days a year in order to catch you out on 2 or 3 days. Just say the smoke wafted up from the condo below you or that you lit one of those mosquito coils or some incense to ward away evil spirits.

Archived