Can they stop me from smoking on my balcony ?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thai law prohibits people from smoking in common areas in condo buildings, just as it does in shops and cinemas and what-have-you. Some condo buildings consider the balconies of units to be common areas also. So whether you can smoke on "your" balcony or not rather depends on the individual interpretation that the building has of the status of that balcony.

Also most if not all buildings will have rules and regulations that prevent co-owners from annoying other co-owners, and there can be little doubt that smelly smoke (or smelly cooking) can be an annoyance.

Before the coup there was talk of a project of law that would prohibit all smoking anywhere in condo buildings including inside individual units, but I have no idea of how far it progressed towards being enacted.

There is a popular upper court case going on right now in Canada involving a 70 something year old guy and whether he should be allowed, or not, to smoke in his own condo. His claim is that he is highly addicted to cigarettes and that he bought his Condo 10 years ago and long before management changed things, and made it a non-smoking building.

Smokers have rights to! I personally hope he wins his case and I take my hat off to him for trying. It is the only smoker I have ever heard of who is standing up for his rights. The non-smokers have had their way far too long and have gone too far, in my personal view of it all at least. You have one person trying to stop everyone else in the building from smoking outside, just because she does not smoke and finds it offensive.I say to her get yourself a ceiling fan and shut your mouth. If you still find this offensive then stay inside or move to a house where you can control things.

Well to be honest I find it quite offensive when I have to listen to someone's baby cry all night in the condo, or on an airplane on a long trip were I need my rest for work. Or people who are allowed to have pets, where many people are allergic to animal hair, and they crap all over the common grounds. Or someone who wants to sit on his balcony all day and get drunk while listening to the same Elvis Presley's Greatest Hits every damned day. But as a Community we have to learn to go with the flow.

The excuse they have the right to do this to you because your Balcony could be considered a common area is just that, and an excuse. Is not anywhere outside of your Condo Door not considered a common area? The Parking Lot? The Street? The Park Bench? Even in a jungle somewhere?

As far as I am concerned you have every right to smoke on your own Balcony without the hassle. People this day and age should just learn to mind their own business. A lot of our rights to privacy has already been taken away in this computer age. At least as a smoker you pay high taxes which should cover your hospital expenses. Fat People, who seldom exercise, except their mouth, don't pay extra. They quit smoking? Then fine. Get on with your life and leave the rest alone. Not everyone wants to live to be 110 years old and have their diaper changed a few times a day. .

. .

And the lady above has every right to pee in the bucked and then throw the bucket of pee and water on your balcony and washing. Mai Pen Rai.

Smoke goes up, everything else goes down. She has so many choices.

You have already realised that you cannot stop her

The lady is the one with the problem. Let her deal with it and buy a fan.

The OP is not trying to antagonize her by smoking on his own Balcony for God's Sake. I would think it is his right. But throwing piss down there or a cigar butt to burn his drying clothes is far different.

She lives in a Condo. As mentioned there are things you have to put up with when you do this, Unless she owns the whole building she has no more rights than anyone else living their. If she can't handle the Condo Life-style, then she should move out. Simple!

If you think you have problems in condos in Bangkok, you should come to Lumpini Onnut 46.......its one of the worst places where you get to see lower thai life forms living like dirty uncivilised pigs! I bought a number of units there thinking it was cheap and renovated three units to combine them into one big unit with two bedrooms, three bathrooms, one living room, one dinning, two kitchens and a storage plus I spent a fortune on making the interior look like a palace......and then....I got a culture shock living with lower income thais.....they dirty the corridors, they sweep their dirt on the corridors, smoke from balconies and throw their cigaraettes down, washing balconies with water dripping down, having so many people in their studio units, talking loudly, screams, filthy smells, the top floors move their furnitures loudly at night, the lift lobby is dirty and filthy, the maids are lazy, management complacent, the lower floors smells like sewage works....mind you these are people who work as bank tellers, office staff, sales staff, hotel staff, etc. I am just booked a single stand alone house in a sansiri development nearby and waiting for it to be ready to move. My advice to foreigners, never buy cheap lower end thai condos unless you are filthy and just as uncivilised as the locals who stay there. Lumpini used to be a good developer as I have units of their elsewhere like Chaengwattana which is good but they have recently gone down and their property management really stinks these days.

And in Sansiri you'll discover that hi-so Thai do exactly the same. TIT.whistling.gif

If you got the money, why not try Ladawan?

carry on doing as you please and ignore letter,

dont talk about it with anyone, not office or friends,

but

also, learn to live with others in building,

not saying make friends

but dont make complaints about others

if a neighbour is doing something you dont like,

you should politely speak with them direct and express your concern

Yes they can. With however many complaints needed against you (3) and you're done there.

She's above you? We reported the idiot khet above us fir smoking. We could smell it in the room, but that's our problem. We're not crazy folk. Issue was his ashes ending up on our balcony and clothes. We asked repeatedly to be careful. F.it reported hus ass 2x and he's gone.

Incidentally, anyone that smokes in this day and age is a true and absolute moron.

My sister recently died at 52 from heavy smoking and ridiculous lifestyle. My aunt will die in six months from smoking, 73. My other aunt died of smoking related illness. My parents, 82,86 no longer have any friends that smoke, they all died years ago.

Only the poor, working poor and weak, lazy lower middle class smoke any more in western countries. Your actions just scream no class.

Even in Thailand, only hipsters smoke.

Enjoy, genius.

Archived