Can they stop me from smoking on my balcony ?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thai law prohibits people from smoking in common areas in condo buildings, just as it does in shops and cinemas and what-have-you. Some condo buildings consider the balconies of units to be common areas also. So whether you can smoke on "your" balcony or not rather depends on the individual interpretation that the building has of the status of that balcony.

Also most if not all buildings will have rules and regulations that prevent co-owners from annoying other co-owners, and there can be little doubt that smelly smoke (or smelly cooking) can be an annoyance.

Before the coup there was talk of a project of law that would prohibit all smoking anywhere in condo buildings including inside individual units, but I have no idea of how far it progressed towards being enacted.

There is a popular upper court case going on right now in Canada involving a 70 something year old guy and whether he should be allowed, or not, to smoke in his own condo. His claim is that he is highly addicted to cigarettes and that he bought his Condo 10 years ago and long before management changed things, and made it a non-smoking building.

Smokers have rights to! I personally hope he wins his case and I take my hat off to him for trying. It is the only smoker I have ever heard of who is standing up for his rights. The non-smokers have had their way far too long and have gone too far, in my personal view of it all at least. You have one person trying to stop everyone else in the building from smoking outside, just because she does not smoke and finds it offensive.I say to her get yourself a ceiling fan and shut your mouth. If you still find this offensive then stay inside or move to a house where you can control things.

Well to be honest I find it quite offensive when I have to listen to someone's baby cry all night in the condo, or on an airplane on a long trip were I need my rest for work. Or people who are allowed to have pets, where many people are allergic to animal hair, and they crap all over the common grounds. Or someone who wants to sit on his balcony all day and get drunk while listening to the same Elvis Presley's Greatest Hits every damned day. But as a Community we have to learn to go with the flow.

The excuse they have the right to do this to you because your Balcony could be considered a common area is just that, and an excuse. Is not anywhere outside of your Condo Door not considered a common area? The Parking Lot? The Street? The Park Bench? Even in a jungle somewhere?

As far as I am concerned you have every right to smoke on your own Balcony without the hassle. People this day and age should just learn to mind their own business. A lot of our rights to privacy has already been taken away in this computer age. At least as a smoker you pay high taxes which should cover your hospital expenses. Fat People, who seldom exercise, except their mouth, don't pay extra. They quit smoking? Then fine. Get on with your life and leave the rest alone. Not everyone wants to live to be 110 years old and have their diaper changed a few times a day. .

. .

And the lady above has every right to pee in the bucked and then throw the bucket of pee and water on your balcony and washing. Mai Pen Rai.

Smoke goes up, everything else goes down. She has so many choices.

You have already realised that you cannot stop her

The smartest long term strategy here is for you to give up smoking.

The hag above is trying to save your life for Christ's sake.

now that was a different response. To be honest I don't really smoke ... Just a few times a year and only when drinking. When I entertain however sometimes people like to smoke and a quick trip out on the balcony for 10 minutes is all it takes. If not this it is traveling down to the first floor and exiting the building and then returning. A major deal just for a smoke. Besides everyone else can so why should my balcony be different. The lady can close her window for 10 minutes if she don't like. And in addition how does she know the smoke is coming from my balcony and not another condo ?

It's just not right ! It would be the same as someone telling you you can not talk on your balcony because it bothers them.

why don't you and your guests smoke inside your appartment so you don't bother anyone. it is only a couple times a year.

now that was a different response. To be honest I don't really smoke ... Just a few times a year and only when drinking. When I entertain however sometimes people like to smoke and a quick trip out on the balcony for 10 minutes is all it takes. If not this it is traveling down to the first floor and exiting the building and then returning. A major deal just for a smoke. Besides everyone else can so why should my balcony be different. The lady can close her window for 10 minutes if she don't like. And in addition how does she know the smoke is coming from my balcony and not another condo ?

It's just not right ! It would be the same as someone telling you you can not talk on your balcony because it bothers them.

why don't you and your guests smoke inside your appartment so you don't bother anyone. it is only a couple times a year.

Because that would be too easy and would end the conflict that he seems to enjoy.

I have a balcony so I don't have to smoke inside.

When it rains you close the windows it rains 50 times more than I smoke. She can close her window for 20 minutes once or twice a month.

For the record I am a non smoker as is my g/f and we both hate the smell. The idiot living below me is frequently out on the balcony smoking and the smoke always rises to our unit and we must close our balcony doors. Then on the 10th floor there is another idiot who sits out on the hallway steps and smokes. I walk the hallways/steps every night for excersize and can usually smell cig smoke on most floors. I know we live in a world of sinking consideration for others but non the less if your bothering someone else in the bldg. unit by smoking stay in your unit and stink it up but quite bothering me and others. When living in a community lifestyle quit being so selfish and consider others. The same goes for slamming unit doors. I cannot believe such a simple process as closing a door can be screwed up by so many. Incredible.

Thai law prohibits people from smoking in common areas in condo buildings, just as it does in shops and cinemas and what-have-you. Some condo buildings consider the balconies of units to be common areas also. So whether you can smoke on "your" balcony or not rather depends on the individual interpretation that the building has of the status of that balcony.

Also most if not all buildings will have rules and regulations that prevent co-owners from annoying other co-owners, and there can be little doubt that smelly smoke (or smelly cooking) can be an annoyance.

Before the coup there was talk of a project of law that would prohibit all smoking anywhere in condo buildings including inside individual units, but I have no idea of how far it progressed towards being enacted.

There is a popular upper court case going on right now in Canada involving a 70 something year old guy and whether he should be allowed, or not, to smoke in his own condo. His claim is that he is highly addicted to cigarettes and that he bought his Condo 10 years ago and long before management changed things, and made it a non-smoking building.

Smokers have rights to! I personally hope he wins his case and I take my hat off to him for trying. It is the only smoker I have ever heard of who is standing up for his rights. The non-smokers have had their way far too long and have gone too far, in my personal view of it all at least. You have one person trying to stop everyone else in the building from smoking outside, just because she does not smoke and finds it offensive.I say to her get yourself a ceiling fan and shut your mouth. If you still find this offensive then stay inside or move to a house where you can control things.

Well to be honest I find it quite offensive when I have to listen to someone's baby cry all night in the condo, or on an airplane on a long trip were I need my rest for work. Or people who are allowed to have pets, where many people are allergic to animal hair, and they crap all over the common grounds. Or someone who wants to sit on his balcony all day and get drunk while listening to the same Elvis Presley's Greatest Hits every damned day. But as a Community we have to learn to go with the flow.

The excuse they have the right to do this to you because your Balcony could be considered a common area is just that, and an excuse. Is not anywhere outside of your Condo Door not considered a common area? The Parking Lot? The Street? The Park Bench? Even in a jungle somewhere?

As far as I am concerned you have every right to smoke on your own Balcony without the hassle. People this day and age should just learn to mind their own business. A lot of our rights to privacy has already been taken away in this computer age. At least as a smoker you pay high taxes which should cover your hospital expenses. Fat People, who seldom exercise, except their mouth, don't pay extra. They quit smoking? Then fine. Get on with your life and leave the rest alone. Not everyone wants to live to be 110 years old and have their diaper changed a few times a day. .

. .

And the lady above has every right to pee in the bucked and then throw the bucket of pee and water on your balcony and washing. Mai Pen Rai.

you have the worst responses for someone who is such a do gooder and holy. I would say more but I am not a nasty piece of work like yourself.

When it rains you close the windows it rains 50 times more than I smoke. She can close her window for 20 minutes once or twice a month.

You're completely missing the point. By the time the smell has entered her apartment, it's too late to close the window.

This topic is very revealing about the mentality of many here, who'd rather look for sneaky loopholes, ignore the wishes of others or seek an aggressive response than just do the decent thing.

I don't blame her. Second hand smoke stinks. If you only smoke a few times a year anyway, do the decent thing and do it elsewhere.

He is doing it in the privacy on his own balcony, where do you suggest he goes?

Try stinking up his own unit for starters or the bathroom or he could enclose his balcony with glass with no sliders. As a dirty old smoker that should not bother him the stench and the dirty brown walls should then be telling him something as what his lungs look like. Its amazing you can smell a serious smoker a mile away just pure stink. If that does not work and he cannot quit try the same solution the woman did in Bangkok for insomnia. Now there is a guaranteed permanent quitting solution

you have the worst responses for someone who is such a do gooder and holy. I would say more but I am not a nasty piece of work like yourself.

You have the right to smoke on your balcony and you are going to keep doing it. Try smelling your clothes after they have been doused in something. Just stop complaining. She has the right to wash her balcony.

For the record I am a non smoker as is my g/f and we both hate the smell. The idiot living below me is frequently out on the balcony smoking and the smoke always rises to our unit and we must close our balcony doors. Then on the 10th floor there is another idiot who sits out on the hallway steps and smokes. I walk the hallways/steps every night for excersize and can usually smell cig smoke on most floors. I know we live in a world of sinking consideration for others but non the less if your bothering someone else in the bldg. unit by smoking stay in your unit and stink it up but quite bothering me and others. When living in a community lifestyle quit being so selfish and consider others. The same goes for slamming unit doors. I cannot believe such a simple process as closing a door can be screwed up by so many. Incredible.
I understand and there are ways to change the building rules. Why don't you state your case at the board meetings. They may change the rules or if not you have the option to move. Everyone complained about this government taking over and not letting it up to the people to vote why do you want to be the same ? Put it to a vote ! Shouldn't 200 out of 201 people have a say on their property, their investment, their money, their freedom....

I have already stated that I would be happy to comply if the building rules were for all. I moved into this building with the understanding that I could smoke and there is nothing in the rules stating otherwise. One person who may or may not be able to even smell my smoke complained and everyone has to bend over, ok general I understand the wY you people think... Me me me me.

You have the right to smoke on your balcony and you are going to keep doing it. Try smelling your clothes after they have been doused in something. Just stop complaining. She has the right to wash her balcony.

Yes she does and I agree. Is it wrong for me to ask her to be careful when she washes her balcony so she don't splash water on my cloths. I have no objection to her washing and she can do all day every day if she wants. I don't mind if the water runs down the wall but I do mind that my cloths have brown water stains on them and are wet when she did it. And if you can't understand the difference you need some serious help.

Yes she does and I agree. Is it wrong for me to ask her to be careful when she washes her balcony so she don't splash water on my cloths. I have no objection to her washing and she can do all day every day if she wants. I don't mind if the water runs down the wall but I do mind that my cloths have brown water stains on them and are wet when she did it. And if you can't understand the difference you need some serious help.

Can't you just bring your clothes inside when you see water dripping on them?

she has a balcony and can do things there too but you start to complain about that. try to think about others and not only about your needs. don't complain about her things or smoke inside. your attitude is the same as a little kid: me, me, me

I wonder what will give brown stains? Did you smell it?

Can anybody guess

I keep my windows shut almost all the time as the amount of dust that builds after even 15 minutes is crazy, you can write your name on my tables. We have 6 lanes of traffic jam packed with buses pouring out black smoke, an out door market right next door that has hundreds of people smoking, about 50 booths or more cooking, open toilets with the smell going up, a chemical factory or refinery 1000 meters away, other condo units below me and beside me smoking ....And my once or twice 20 minute smoke is a problem ?

I wonder what will give brown stains? Did you smell it?

Can anybody guess

it's the filth that is in the air from the tens of thousands of cars and busses passing each day. It's the output from the refinery that is a stone throw away from the building etc etc ..... And perhaps you filthy breath.

I keep my windows shut almost all the time as the amount of dust that builds after even 15 minutes is crazy, you can write your name on my tables. We have 6 lanes of traffic jam packed with buses pouring out black smoke, an out door market right next door that has hundreds of people smoking, about 50 booths or more cooking, open toilets with the smell going up, a chemical factory or refinery 1000 meters away, other condo units below me and beside me smoking ....And my once or twice 20 minute smoke is a problem ?

with so much pollution, a little bit of brown water will not make much difference. Just live with it and carry on.

with so much pollution, a little bit of brown water will not make much difference. Just live with it and carry on.

Now we know your standards

Now we know your standards

Not my standards, but yours. You seem to think that pollution is OK. Even your pollution,

Toany, thank you for your responses. As I think you have contributed a great deal to one side of the argument I believe additional comments at not required. Have a nice day :)

Good to see all sides so you can form an opinion based on fairness and honesty.

And some opinions reconfirmed your thinking.

Based on that description I think you should probably move. Everyone's a winner.

I used to be a smoker, but had to quit because I was getting Emphysema. My complaint is people smoking on their balcony because they do not want to stink up their own room, but they do not mind stinking up mine or care about the health risk they impose upon me! You want to smoke, go right ahead, but do it INSIDE your own room with the doors closed!

It is common that former smoker get jealous to smoker for their joy and stalk them. Smoke on the balcony that travels 1 floor and than enters the room thru the window is neither detectable nor a health risk.

You have no idea how bad it smells.

no it does not....you are just hysteric....I stopped smoking years ago, my wife smokes and my staff smokes....it smells good and I get to urge to smoke again.....but outside...one floor away...nothing

Based on that description I think you should probably move. Everyone's a winner.
That is a solution, not a good one but it is still a solution.

My point is that the air outside is so polluted and nasty that I have to keep my doors and windows shut all the time. The industrial, car/motorbike/bus exhaust, the dust, the cooking smells etc etc are far more damaging than my 20 to 30 minutes of passive ... Very passive smoke a month. I look at all the windows and doors and they are all closed all day. She must be the only one with her windows open.

If it was a health issue she would surely keep her windows and doors closed.

Archived