My Daughter Will Be Coming Along Arriving After Us

bina

my daughter will be coming to thailand a day or so after we arrive!!! does anybody think there is a problem for an 18+ travel savvy daughter getting from krungthep to korat city on her own??

i guess we will have to arrange a pickup to get her to the muubaan... a bit more logistics then i had planned but she is very hard headed...what is better, bus or train??... she wont be dressed too backpackerish (i warned her about her quasi hippi dress style), doesnt take candy from strangers or talk to strange men, speaks english... any ideas... dont know exactly when she is arriving or when our flight arrives so this may be the scenerio...

she's also a veggie and hates spicy food... but can deal with any other rough it situation so i think this will be an amazing trip for her and different then the usual israeli backpack round the world trip (how many people like her come to thai/jewish wedding in rural thailand??? and ... she is always our designated photographer (30 rolls two weeks) so there solving an other problem.

any suggestions... anon is kind of useless to ask about this stuff-- he's bannork and hasnt been home in 4+ years

thanx

bina

israel

Peronally, flying would be quicker but more expensive but so easy to get off international flight & 1 hr to Korat airport. An alternative would be the bus, if she has the destination & muubaan written in thai then as long as she gets herself (by taxi) to the northern bus terminal, she will be able to get a ticket & be dropped practically at the door. Safe, cheap & efficient. You can then know what time she will be arirving & meet her at the nearest bus station to your muubaan in Korat. :o What dates will she arriving?

Peronally, flying would be quicker but more expensive but so easy to get off international flight & 1 hr to Korat airport. An alternative would be the bus, if she has the destination & muubaan written in thai then as long as she gets herself (by taxi) to the northern bus terminal, she will be able to get a ticket & be dropped practically at the door. Safe, cheap & efficient. You can then know what time she will be arirving & meet her at the nearest bus station to your muubaan in Korat. :o What dates will she arriving?

Train, train, train!

99% safe (nothing is 100% where ever you go) and you can pick her up at the station. Fully guarded and no way for 'nasties' to entice her away from the designated journey - go for a train.

A flight would be quicker and easier but why miss the scenery on the trip of a lifetime?

Peronally, flying would be quicker but more expensive but so easy to get off international flight & 1 hr to Korat airport.

Is Korat airport open again? It had been closed to commercial traffic for several years due to airlines not finding it financially viable.

Korat Post Oct 2005 meeting: among the subjects discussed at today's meeting was concern about the non-active status of the Korat airport

Edited by tywais

The train is good but for a young girl travelling alone it is a bit exposed IMO. I like the bus as it is contained & there is a stewardess close if there was a problem.

Don't know about the airport tywais, we were looking to book flights earlier this year & one of the online options was Korat! :o

I like the idea of a train too, mainly because the trains have a better safety record than the buses.

If she is flying into the old airport the train station is quite close - not sure if that is the case.

Just avoid third class train tickets and go for second class. The seating in second class is assigned with no standing allowed. Third class is more of a zoo.

kenk3z

I like the idea of a train too, mainly because the trains have a better safety record than the buses.

If she is flying into the old airport the train station is quite close - not sure if that is the case.

Just avoid third class train tickets and go for second class. The seating in second class is assigned with no standing allowed. Third class is more of a zoo.

kenk3z

I also steered my daughter away from trains to buses - no first hand experience, only third hand stuff....

what old airport? doesnt everybody arrive at the main airport??

she's coming thru kiev-), so i have to double check flight info.

unfortunately israelis have been in the news here concerning international incidents (one in thailand w/faked 100$ bill; one in india with bullets and a group in nepal doing drugs and flipping out) ... so rather she keep herself to herself, and on transport that is less filled with tourists and more with families, if there is such a thing?

. i saw some where a timetable for busses and where u get them, etc from some korat site but i lost the site address. anybody have an up to date listing? i'd like to let her know prices and times as much as i can.

she can cell phone to me (we have special kibbutz intradial phones (like village network) works anywhere in the world )

she's good at rough it stuff and dealing with situations (her nickname is 'the general' and she is officer material for army when she goes in next summer)

bina

boo: her dates are leaving on the 1/11 but not sure arrival times etc... anyone know how much an internal flight to korat city would be?? its from the second airport right? (like when i went to udon; it cost me 45$ one way two years ago, pre booked); first have to see if there is an airport... any korat takers???

if there really is a cheap flight, i would still think it might be better, when i'm thinking about it, since when tired and jetlagged, the brains' judgement doesnt always work...

thanx for suggestions

bina

Edited by bina

jeff, thanx a lot....

boo same same... too bad, that would save time and hassle

3.5 hrs, not too long a ride (like from jerusalem to eilat)...

in this day and age of cell phones, everything is also easier ....

will write everything out for her also in thai so she can find her way...

if friend arrives may have to give her the procedure also....

edit: read other thread so will ask additional questions there, preferrable than starting a 'same same' thread, when all info is in one place...

thanx once again for specific advice (the best kind)

bina

Edited by bina

If ehae is Jewish then maybe she should be careful to discuise that fact. Can be dangerous. Sounds like a a great opportunity for her. Train is the best option..a great trip, good service and the pork dinners are great!.

:D the girl is Jewish............. :o

LaoPo

thanx, gb, we decided that as our flights are consecutive, we will spend the night somewhere (maybe at a friend's in bangkok) and pick her up and then continue together... we'll be less worried and we will arrive all together to deal with new family as a group :D)...

she'll probably live on peanutbutter, bananas rice and eggs since she is veggie and cant tolerate spices of any sort whatsoever but it still willing to deal with it all (army food is not thrilling either she lives on bread/hummous like most girls and like most of them, gains weight)

to aussiecollins: going to round up some christian babies for dinner now....

:o

thanx, gb, we decided that as our flights are consecutive, we will spend the night somewhere (maybe at a friend's in bangkok) and pick her up and then continue together... we'll be less worried and we will arrive all together to deal with new family as a group :D)...

she'll probably live on peanutbutter, bananas rice and eggs since she is veggie and cant tolerate spices of any sort whatsoever but it still willing to deal with it all (army food is not thrilling either she lives on bread/hummous like most girls and like most of them, gains weight)

to aussiecollins: going to round up some christian babies for dinner now....

:D

:o

If ehae is Jewish then maybe she should be careful to discuise that fact. Can be dangerous. Sounds like a a great opportunity for her. Train is the best option..a great trip, good service and the pork dinners are great!.

I can't wait for post number 3 :o

• 1 month later...

Reminded me of a story re the train trip. A jewish fella was on the train and the walk-thru' meals came: he asked about the meal and was told 'Moo Cow': he naturally thought it was beef

:D the girl is Jewish............. :o

LaoPo

Go from the airport to Mor Chit Mai Bus station...take a bus to Nakhon Ratchasima....she will be fine as long as she follows commonsense principles. I take it by Korat city you mean NR...Alternate is to go to BKK and pick her up...the safest way by far.

Alternate is to go to BKK and pick her up...the safest way by far. Exactly.

There have been people go missing between Don Muang and the city (Bangkok) AND, never seen again, leastaways not in an alive state. And I don't see why the new airport is likely to be any different.

The only proper and safe way is to get yourself to the the new airport and bring her back.

I would think that that would be the obvious approach by any responsible (and concerned) parent. :o

Edited by john b good

I would think that that would be the obvious approach by any responsible (and concerned) parent. :o

I would have to confer with this opinion. An 18+ year old head just doesn't work like a 40++ year old head, regardless of their intellect or savy.

My daughter had spent many years as an expat kid. Knew airports much better than bus stations. But her trip to meet me in BKK started off tits up when she couldn't locate me at BKK airport.

I eventually found her sitting down, given up, and crying' cause she lost her dad.