Drivers license no longer ok for ID?

I think you're mistaken, all new UK passports contain biometrics these days, my renewal behind Vict. Sta. two years ago required them.

So what biometric data did they record from you?

And why didn't you offer that information in your last post?

What last post? You didn't ask! I didn't think it was relevant. I chose not to. I was trying to confuse you. My mom told me not to - take your pick.

The photograph is biometric, if you had read the instructions for the requirements of the photo you would know that. But since you've photoshopped yours it seems the person who verified the likeness has broken the law, as have you - go to jail, go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars.

"All UK passports use facial biometrics to measure facial features. Passport photographs must meet the required standards to be used for biometrics. Any defects in the photograph might delay a passport application".

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/passport-photos-guide-for-photographers/guidance-for-photographers

Got mine from a booth in Sainsbury's (a fiver) when I was back home in the summer and a pretty rough looking picture it was, No problem with the IPS, passport came within a week.

Sent off my driving licence for picture renewal too (which they pull off the passport) so now at least I look the same on both my passport and driving licence. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Sorry, I have not followed a few of the last posts because they seem to be boorish. I just say follow the law. You need to have your copy of a passport and produce the original within 24 hours. It is the same if you were pulled over my a cop in a western country. So, in Thailand explain that you will show the original in a few hours. How does that provoke so many anti Thai posts. Forget your hang ups. Just take a few precautions that anyone would take. Can you imagine if you were in China or Russia? Get a grip, treat the officers with respect and they will do likewise.

• Like 2

This is just a local police deal. Driving license lets us get on a domestic flight without having to show a passport so its a legal document. No need to carry your passport unless the police on mass decide to stop us all every time we go out of our doors. You guys were just unlucky. Annoying and cost 500baht but no need to worry I think.

Yes they let you on a domestic flight, and i know guys who have been let on domestic flight with their offshore BOSIET cards...anything with a photo and your name on it and looking "official" will get you on a domestic flight and guess what i suspect over the next few months, they will be wanting to see your PP on domestic flights wink.png

A Thai DL is not legal proof of identity and legal status is Thailand its only legal function is to show you have a valid Thai DL

Yes but, I use my Thai DL for just about every - ID need and have not had any pushback at all, even at banks (for easy tasks). I use it at all HOTELs in the Kingdom with full acceptance. The ID has your passport number clearly printed on it. Thus, keeping a copy of your passport with visa stamps to show the numbers match up to the Thai DL is normally all you need if an official of sort, asks for your Passport. A visiting friend of mine once called Thailand "the land of not quite right" for the most part that statement seems to fit. It helps to smile be polite not argue and dress smart; a recipe that helps keep one out of their [police] target. Perhaps because mostly the police tend to prey on the half-dressed troglodyte, off his guard. It's more oppressive here now than it ever was, I fight my inner reasoning to continue this way of life. We'll never be Thai or fully accepted yet we expats love this country. The conundrum continues.

Yes and so do I and have done so for many years but the fact remains its still not a "legal" ID for a foreigner, the passport number alone proves nothing, your own statement proves it by saying you have copies of your passport to show the numbers match on the DL, if it was a recognised ID similar to a Thai ID card you wouldn't need copies of your PP would you ?

As to the rest of your political manifesto and soap boxing, if its so bad and oppressive here, you do have options you know, I know if I lived somewhere and hated the place do much and despised the natives as much as some on TV do,

I would have left and found myself a "happier" place to be .......Thailand oppressive LOL shows how little you have travelled then LOL

Dear Mr. Soutpeel:

Thank you for bringing my errors to light and for not taking the piss out of me for doing it. After a few Pints late at night, it's no time to post and no excuse. Words have power and meaning and are often misconstrued because the author of those words didn't write clearly. First off to any Thai person that read my post, I did not mean anything in a derogatory way even if it came off that way.

There were two points I was trying to make. The first that since the late 80s and early 90s I've had no problem in my experience using the Thai ID for an ID even though it is not considered a proper ID in Thailand. Only once did I take out the copy of my passport to show the numbers matched, and that was at a bank. I never carry my passport because I would surely lose it. End of story.

The second was based on a comparison of my experiences in the Kingdom back some 25 years ago. To me, Thailand or more specifically Bangkok, what have you; was a different place than now. Business was a lot of fun back then and one never heard (at least me) of random police-checks of ID's, spot pee tests, backpack checks etc. Using the word oppressive was foolish, I was venting some frustration for others that have had to endure ridiculous practices by local police.

Last: Here comes the tail lifting part pardon me for doing so. It took me 6 years with a Thai language tutor years ago to learn to speak and read but Thai is still a difficult language for me, one that I'll never master but do converse rather well in. That in itself along with excellent (lucky) connections has been a godsend for me when confronted by police. More than a few times have I flashed name cards only to be quickly passed on. My experience here is not of the rookie. Two unrelated businesses both with only Thai employees, a long time Thai wife and two kids that went to Thai private school does give me some reason to rant, but not on public forums. Thanks again for your kindness in correcting me.

I respectfully now blend back into the shadows. Good day.

• Like 2

Passports are shown to hotels in every part of the world in fact it's the law in so many countries. I really can't see a problem showing your passport seems to me it's a case of bullying at best down right rudeness and intimidation at worst. Glad I don't associate with you

Edited by Sutty

Passports are shown to hotels in every part of the world in fact it's the law in so many countries. I really can't see a problem showing your passport seems to me it's a case of bullying at best down right rudeness and intimidation at worst. Glad I don't associate with you

But carrying your passport with you 24 hours a day every day is an issue, it's the most important document I own and replacing it takes a lot of time (during which I would be housebound). Producing it to check into a hotel is not a problem, the problem is for people who live who don't need to check in somewhere to sleep on a temporary basis.

• Like 1

It's not an issue I carry my passport 24/7 same as my driving licence same as my wallet with money in it never lost it or my wallet which to me is infinatley more important for day to day living. It's just a hang up people have with passports as if there more important than life itself

If you lose passport why house bound!!! Report to police immigration you have lost it contact your embassy they issue temporary passport no problem just a perceived problem

Edited by Sutty

This is just a local police deal. Driving license lets us get on a domestic flight without having to show a passport so its a legal document. No need to carry your passport unless the police on mass decide to stop us all every time we go out of our doors. You guys were just unlucky. Annoying and cost 500baht but no need to worry I think.
Yes they let you on a domestic flight, and i know guys who have been let on domestic flight with their offshore BOSIET cards...anything with a photo and your name on it and looking "official" will get you on a domestic flight and guess what i suspect over the next few months, they will be wanting to see your PP on domestic flights wink.png

A Thai DL is not legal proof of identity and legal status is Thailand its only legal function is to show you have a valid Thai DL

Yes but, I use my Thai DL for just about every - ID need and have not had any pushback at all, even at banks (for easy tasks). I use it at all HOTELs in the Kingdom with full acceptance. The ID has your passport number clearly printed on it. Thus, keeping a copy of your passport with visa stamps to show the numbers match up to the Thai DL is normally all you need if an official of sort, asks for your Passport. A visiting friend of mine once called Thailand "the land of not quite right" for the most part that statement seems to fit. It helps to smile be polite not argue and dress smart; a recipe that helps keep one out of their [police] target. Perhaps because mostly the police tend to prey on the half-dressed troglodyte, off his guard. It's more oppressive here now than it ever was, I fight my inner reasoning to continue this way of life. We'll never be Thai or fully accepted yet we expats love this country. The conundrum continues.

Yes and so do I and have done so for many years but the fact remains its still not a "legal" ID for a foreigner, the passport number alone proves nothing, your own statement proves it by saying you have copies of your passport to show the numbers match on the DL, if it was a recognised ID similar to a Thai ID card you wouldn't need copies of your PP would you ?

As to the rest of your political manifesto and soap boxing, if its so bad and oppressive here, you do have options you know, I know if I lived somewhere and hated the place do much and despised the natives as much as some on TV do,

I would have left and found myself a "happier" place to be .......Thailand oppressive LOL shows how little you have travelled then LOL

Dear Mr. Soutpeel:

Thank you for bringing my errors to light and for not taking the piss out of me for doing it. After a few Pints late at night, it's no time to post and no excuse. Words have power and meaning and are often misconstrued because the author of those words didn't write clearly. First off to any Thai person that read my post, I did not mean anything in a derogatory way even if it came off that way.

There were two points I was trying to make. The first that since the late 80s and early 90s I've had no problem in my experience using the Thai ID for an ID even though it is not considered a proper ID in Thailand. Only once did I take out the copy of my passport to show the numbers matched, and that was at a bank. I never carry my passport because I would surely lose it. End of story.

The second was based on a comparison of my experiences in the Kingdom back some 25 years ago. To me, Thailand or more specifically Bangkok, what have you; was a different place than now. Business was a lot of fun back then and one never heard (at least me) of random police-checks of ID's, spot pee tests, backpack checks etc. Using the word oppressive was foolish, I was venting some frustration for others that have had to endure ridiculous practices by local police.

Last: Here comes the tail lifting part pardon me for doing so. It took me 6 years with a Thai language tutor years ago to learn to speak and read but Thai is still a difficult language for me, one that I'll never master but do converse rather well in. That in itself along with excellent (lucky) connections has been a godsend for me when confronted by police. More than a few times have I flashed name cards only to be quickly passed on. My experience here is not of the rookie. Two unrelated businesses both with only Thai employees, a long time Thai wife and two kids that went to Thai private school does give me some reason to rant, but not on public forums. Thanks again for your kindness in correcting me.

I respectfully now blend back into the shadows. Good day.

You could have just said you were pished and writing crap everyone would understand, the rest of your diatribe is not needed BTW, I stopped reading when you said you were pished

• Like 1

It's not an issue I carry my passport 24/7 same as my driving licence same as my wallet with money in it never lost it or my wallet which to me is infinatley more important for day to day living. It's just a hang up people have with passports as if there more important than life itself

If you lose passport why house bound!!! Report to police immigration you have lost it contact your embassy they issue temporary passport no problem just a perceived problem

I'm sure the local police are going to accept a temporary travel document as proof of ID when they wont accept their own issued drivers license, the words chance and fat spring to mind.

I'm sure the local police are going to accept a temporary travel document as proof of ID when they wont accept their own issued drivers license, the words chance and fat spring to mind.

A temporary passport is an offical document so cant see any reason why they wouldnt accept it, it is a passport, just limited in its validity thats all Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

A temporary passport is an offical document so cant see any reason why they wouldnt accept it, it is a passport, just limited in its validity thats all

If the Thai police will not accept an International Drivers Permit for driving in Thailand (reported many times), will not accept a Thai issued drivers license as proof of ID (reported many times) then why would we hope they might accept a temporary travel document issued by n embassy that 99.99% of them have never seen before?

A temporary passport is an offical document so cant see any reason why they wouldnt accept it, it is a passport, just limited in its validity thats all

If the Thai police will not accept an International Drivers Permit for driving in Thailand (reported many times), will not accept a Thai issued drivers license as proof of ID (reported many times) then why would we hope they might accept a temporary travel document issued by n embassy that 99.99% of them have never seen before?

But the Thai police do accept an IDP for driving know this first hand when i first came to Thailand before i had my Thai DL, Plod pulled me over IDP and home license produced and sent on my way

Why do you keep making these "factural" declarations on behalf of the RTP on what they will and will not accept...fact is you dont know

• Like 1

But the Thai police do accept an IDP for driving know this first hand when i first came to Thailand before i had my Thai DL, Plod pulled me over IDP and home license produced and sent on my way

Why do you keep making these "factural" declarations on behalf of the RTP on what they will and will not accept...fact is you dont know

I am feeding back what has been reported and largely accepted on TVF in respect of IDP's. And since your reference to having had an IDP accepted is clearly many many years ago, why do you think things have not changed?

For my part, my 5 year license has always worked well and I've not had a problem with it from an ID perspective. So yes, you are correct, I don't know exactly and with confidence and in truth, what problems other posters have had, other than what's been reported here, do I need to go searching for those threads and post them?.

I am feeding back what has been reported and largely accepted on TVF in respect of IDP's. And since your reference to having had an IDP accepted is clearly many many years ago, why do you think things have not changed?

For my part, my 5 year license has always worked well and I've not had a problem with it from an ID perspective. So yes, you are correct, I don't know exactly and with confidence and in truth, what problems other posters have had, other than what's been reported here, do I need to go searching for those threads and post them?.

No you made a catagoric statement no time frame mentioned if you want to search and post previous threads up to you

I too have never had an issue using a Thai DL and do i intend carrying my pp everywhere or a copy of my visa or WP ? No....if the plods stop me i will deal with it at the time

If the Thai police will not accept an International Drivers Permit for driving in Thailand (reported many times),

will not accept a Thai issued drivers license as proof of ID (reported many times) //

If? Many times?

In your area maybe, but never heard about such problem in Bangkok or Pattaya...

- as long as you have your country's permit with your IDP

- as long as you have copy of your passport main pages to show with your Thai DL

What is the issue here?. A passport is the best form of identification to have, It is not a big deal put it in a weatherproof cover and carry it around your neck, pocket, where ever If that is what makes it easy to comply, just do it, stop strutting your superiority, just comply with the law. It is no wonder that so many law officers believe that westerners are ignorant, difficult to deal with, arrogant and more. You radicals make it hard for law abiding people to survive here. Please pull your heads in.

Good post. 1. Try to find the law or policy that says a Thai Driver's License is or is not a valid ID for foreigners and valid for ALL government agencies and ministries.2. In general carrying the Passoprt around is not a good idea. Nobody has ever cited the exact Thai law. A bit of a gray area on the validity of a good photo copy, or if you can present the passport in a reasonable amount of time. I am sure the cops won't wait and won't follow you to your apartment. That is outside their convenience level.

I hope this tom foolery stops soon. This is the exact sort of thing I hate and I don't want to experience on my vacations. I want to walk around, eat, sleep, swim, get a massage, and not be bothered with any thing. I get enough hassles back home, and I am above the board legal in everything, since I work for the US defense contractor, maintain a security clearance, etc..

Good post. 1. Try to find the law or policy that says a Thai Driver's License is or is not a valid ID for foreigners and valid for ALL government agencies and ministries.2. In general carrying the Passoprt around is not a good idea. Nobody has ever cited the exact Thai law. A bit of a gray area on the validity of a good photo copy, or if you can present the passport in a reasonable amount of time. I am sure the cops won't wait and won't follow you to your apartment. That is outside their convenience level.

I hope this tom foolery stops soon. This is the exact sort of thing I hate and I don't want to experience on my vacations. I want to walk around, eat, sleep, swim, get a massage, and not be bothered with any thing. I get enough hassles back home, and I am above the board legal in everything, since I work for the US defense contractor, maintain a security clearance, etc..

What, as a matter of interest, happens when an employee of a "US defense contractor" cannot produce acceptable ID on the demand of a US "cop" ?

Good post. 1. Try to find the law or policy that says a Thai Driver's License is or is not a valid ID for foreigners and valid for ALL government agencies and ministries...

Your are asking for the impossible. Asking for a law that says what a Thai driving licence is valid for would be more reasonable. Surely there is a law or government regulation dealing with this subject but as unsurprisingly it is in Thai language you may have to get the help of a law office to find it.

No, not generally accepted. Home license with or without IDP is accepted for temporary stay, Thai DL is required for long term stay.

Good post. 1. Try to find the law or policy that says a Thai Driver's License is or is not a valid ID for foreigners and valid for ALL government agencies and ministries...

Your are asking for the impossible. Asking for a law that says what a Thai driving licence is valid for would be more reasonable. Surely there is a law or government regulation dealing with this subject but as unsurprisingly it is in Thai language you may have to get the help of a law office to find it.

A Thai DL is exactly that a driving license no more no less.

Thai nationals have an ID card to prove their identity

It has been become customary in Thailand to "accept" a Thai DL as ID under certain circumstances but this doesnt mske them a legal identity document

There is no rule/law or proclamation concerning this simply because there is no need to because Thai nationals have their goverment issued ID cards

• Like 1

I think you first have to look at the laws within Thailand and what constitutes acceptable ID for a Thai.

Their birth is registered at an Amphur, they are placed on the Thai Civil Register and their name entered into the house book (Tabian Baan) of the parent(s). At age 7 they must by law obtain an ID card, which contains fingerprint biometrics.

Throughout their life they use an ID card and the Tabian Baan as proof of who they are and where they are registered to obtain services and entitlements from all government establishments.

Did your home Country accept a valid Driving licence as proof of ID to get a Visa to enter Thailand?

Will Thai Immigration accept a valid Thai Driving Licence as a form of ID?

The answer to both questions is of course, No!

Foreigners are issued a Passport to travel and form a part of their ID to be accepted in a foreign Country.

Those passports will be encrypted with some form of biometrics as refutable evidence that the holder is who they claim to be.

In Thailand, a form of address confirmation will also be required to access government services and entitlements.

A foreigner may present various evidence in this respect, which may or may not be accepted, depending on the situation and circumstances.

1. Copies of landlords/house owners ID card and Tabian Baan.

2. Certificate of Residence issued by an Immigration office.

3. Certificate of Residence issued by your Embassy.

4. Foreigners Tabian Baan (Yellow House book)

I am not saying that a Thai DL is not accepted as a form of ID in certain situations or by an individual, but it is certainly not a recognised form of ID whether offered by a Thai or a foreigner to a Police officer, Immigration, or a Government department, or certain institutions.

But if you want to be smart and avoid problems as a foreigner, you should carry at the minimum copies of your recognised ID (passport) and some form of proof of address.

I recently renewed my Thai Driving Licence, but my old licence was not accepted as proof of my ID.

Only my Passport and Tabian Baan were accepted and that's no different than a Thai.

Isn't that proof enough that the Transport department who issued the DL, will then further not accept that as proof of ID.

Edited by Faz

What, as a matter of interest, happens when an employee of a "US defense contractor" cannot produce acceptable ID on the demand of a US "cop" ?

I think your tone is disgusting and ridiculous, but I will answer your question. In the USA, any valid state issued driver's license or ID card in case the person does not drive is considered acceptable ID. Most cops wouldn't know what to do with a passport. In the USA, Americans rarely, I mean really rarely ever carry a passport around. The USA doesn't have a national Identity card as some countries do. The state that you reside in is where you are expected to have valid ID from. Moving between states, the receiving state typically has laws on its books about how long you have to get a new ID from that state, typically 30 days.

I think you first have to look at the laws within Thailand and what constitutes acceptable ID for a Thai.

Their birth is registered at an Amphur, they are placed on the Thai Civil Register and their name entered into the house book (Tabian Baan) of the parent(s). At age 7 they must by law obtain an ID card, which contains fingerprint biometrics.

Throughout their life they use an ID card and the Tabian Baan as proof of who they are and where they are registered to obtain services and entitlements from all government establishments.

Did your home Country accept a valid Driving licence as proof of ID to get a Visa to enter Thailand?

Foreigners are issued a Passport to travel and form a part of their ID to be accepted in a foreign Country.

Those passports will be encrypted with some form of biometrics as refutable evidence that the holder is who they claim to be.

In Thailand, a form of address confirmation will also be required to access government services and entitlements.

A foreigner may present various evidence in this respect, which may or may not be accepted, depending on the situation and circumstances.

I am not saying that a Thai DL is not accepted as a form of ID in certain situations or by an individual, but it is certainly not a recognised form of ID whether offered by a Thai or a foreigner to a Police officer, Immigration, or a Government department, or certain institutions.

But if you want to be smart and avoid problems as a foreigner, you should carry at the minimum copies of your recognised ID (passport) and some form of proof of address.

I recently renewed my Thai Driving Licence, but my old licence was not accepted as proof of my ID.

Only my Passport and Tabian Baan were accepted and that's no different than a Thai.

Isn't that proof enough that the Transport department who issued the DL, will then further not accept that as proof of ID.

The proof of address, of course, being on your Thai D/L smile.png

The proof of address, of course, being on your Thai D/L smile.png

Yes, but that address was taken from a Certificate of Residence, or Tabian Baan as proof of address.

It is a recording of your address, not actual proof of address.

My passport will be expiring soon. I have a Thai car and motorbike license and both have my current passport number on them. When I get my new passport, do I have to get updated licenses that reflect the new pp number? If so, what documentation is required? I understand I would have to provide a copy of my new passport, but would I need to also provide a residence certificate and medical certificate?

My passport will be expiring soon. I have a Thai car and motorbike license and both have my current passport number on them. When I get my new passport, do I have to get updated licenses that reflect the new pp number? If so, what documentation is required? I understand I would have to provide a copy of my new passport, but would I need to also provide a residence certificate and medical certificate?

The straight answer is yes.

The practical answer is to first look at when your DLs expire. Most people won't bother to advise the change of passport number. If you choose to then you are likely to need the residence certificate (in my area, immigration will only issue a certificate against the written request of the Land Transport Office). A medical certicate is not usually required for renewals etc,

The straight answer is yes.

The practical answer is to first look at when your DLs expire. Most people won't bother to advise the change of passport number. If you choose to then you are likely to need the residence certificate (in my area, immigration will only issue a certificate against the written request of the Land Transport Office). A medical certicate is not usually required for renewals etc,

That would depend on your local office.

My experience is that renewing an expiring licence requires full documentation.

Making changes to an existing licences only requires the evidence of the details to be changed, such as new address or passport.

As your not changing address, your existing licence, old passport and new passport should be sufficient.

You will still be charged the full price to reproduce a new licence with the changes.