SURVEY: Is it going to be more difficult for foreigners to stay in Thailand due to the bombings?

Scott

SURVEY: Will it be more difficult for foreigns to stay in Thailand  

350 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you are not going to bomb the place why would Thailand not want people to come here and spend money? Stay for a week or a month or a year or ten. My new slogan for the immigration department would be, "If you got the cash you don't have to dash." "Spend a week or month or year if you got the cash we want you near." "Spend a little or spend a lot but before you leave spend all you got, we love you, Thai Immigration."

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are not going to bomb the place why would Thailand not want people to come here and spend money? Stay for a week or a month or a year or ten. My new slogan for the immigration department would be, "If you got the cash you don't have to dash." "Spend a week or month or year if you got the cash we want you near." "Spend a little or spend a lot but before you leave spend all you got, we love you, Thai Immigration."

Post of the week. coffee1.gif

It's difficult enough for Thais to follow the normal rules when they just change them to suit themselves. Now it will be harder to get a Visa or extension as the immigration department doesn't know how to do things properly anyway. So they now have to learn their jobs all over again. Or once again each individual will make it up along the way.

On a positive note, multi-entry tourist visas may become more available. I also see that the 90 day reporting (online) is a snap, and has made life so much easier.

Not sure if this was sarcasm or not? (genuine question) as maybe some of you have been able to???

I have just tried to do this and it got so far and then wouldn't work.... i guess this is completely off topic, but if anyone can advise if they have had success with this I would appreciate it knowing how?

Is it possible for non-PC users? I use Apple Mac and tried with several browsers but no luck?

On a positive note, multi-entry tourist visas may become more available. I also see that the 90 day reporting (online) is a snap, and has made life so much easier.

Not sure if this was sarcasm or not? (genuine question) as maybe some of you have been able to???

I have just tried to do this and it got so far and then wouldn't work.... i guess this is completely off topic, but if anyone can advise if they have had success with this I would appreciate it knowing how?

Is it possible for non-PC users? I use Apple Mac and tried with several browsers but no luck?

Numerous threads on here about it.

Sure, but I am new on here (relatively) and not having much luck finding them.... when i do a search i get all sorts of listings (not all posts but web pages too) so if there is an easer way of searching/finding them, or you can direct me to the more recent correct forum it would be much appreciated.... thanks

Sure, but I am new on here (relatively) and not having much luck finding them.... when i do a search i get all sorts of listings (not all posts but web pages too) so if there is an easer way of searching/finding them, or you can direct me to the more recent correct forum it would be much appreciated.... thanks

Easy to be a tourist in Thailand. No need for a forum. No Internet when I came here. How do you visit other countries? Taking the p**s seems to be the requirements here. Get away with it? Childish euforia, carry on complaining.

Easy to be a tourist in Thailand. No need for a forum. No Internet when I came here. How do you visit other countries? Taking the p**s seems to be the requirements here. Get away with it? Childish euforia, carry on complaining.

Not sure I understand your reply? Are you trying to be offensive?

I wasn't taking the p*ss or complaining????

This is a forum and you are reading and responding to it (you don't have to!)....

I travel to other countries perfectly fine thanks for asking... however whether the internet existed when you came to Thailand is irrelevant as NOW it is here and the THAI authorities have set up 90-day reporting ONLINE, I was simply asking HOW people have got it to work as I know there have been problems....

Is that too much to ask for on here.... apologies in advance if my online, 21st century question has upset your dinosaurs!

This is a forum and you are reading and responding to it (you don't have to!)....

I travel to other countries perfectly fine thanks for asking... however whether the internet existed when you came to Thailand is irrelevant as NOW it is here and the THAI authorities have set up 90-day reporting ONLINE, I was simply asking HOW people have got it to work as I know there have been problems....

Is that too much to ask for on here.... apologies in advance if my online, 21st century question has upset your dinosaurs!

I did not quote any post from you so not sure why you are upset. Does not take a rocket scientist to work out the entry abuse to Thailand. Have no problem with the abusers. Get caught why moan?

I did not quote any post from you so not sure why you are upset. Does not take a rocket scientist to work out the entry abuse to Thailand. Have no problem with the abusers. Get caught why moan?

My apologies to Mac Man. Too many changs. My opinion stays the same.

Sorry TV. but what is the point of this ridiculous survey? What are you trying to achieve?

I think it increases tourism in neighboring countries.

Not only will it increase tourism in neighbouring countries.

It will mean many long termers will move as well.

No point staying where we are not wanted. Best to spend our money elsewhere where is it more appreciated and where visas are easier to obtain.

Oh and many will move to places where the locals are not totally xenophobic and can speak English.

Edited by tlcwaterfall

Nah,,,If you do the right thing with Immigration and do no stupid things there is no problem whatsoever.We don't have any trouble or changes in our Immigration office (Hat Yai),,, thumbsup.gif

You are lucky you do not have to deal with Kap Choeng office.

Staff there are less than polite and most certainly not customer friendly.

All they do is look for problems with applications.

Sorry TV. but what is the point of this ridiculous survey? What are you trying to achieve?

No point staying where we are not wanted. Best to spend our money elsewhere where is it more appreciated and where visas are easier to obtain.

Oh and many will move to places where the locals are not totally xenophobic and can speak English.

Have not witnessed this exodus.Are you going? If so where?

For those with a legit basis on which to remain in the country, I don't think it'll amount to more than an inconvenience. For those without, well, tough luck comes to mind. They've been lenient a long time.

As per above, my attitude is, once you're in-country, go out-country as little as possible.

You can track them. They all come back and post on Thai Visa how wonderful their new residence is. They continue to post for at least 6 years after leaving Thailand to let us who stayed know just how dumb we are. facepalm.gif

It is common sense that people will move if visa conditions here become onerous.

Edited by tlcwaterfall

For those with a legit basis on which to remain in the country, I don't think it'll amount to more than an inconvenience. For those without, well, tough luck comes to mind. They've been lenient a long time.

As per above, my attitude is, once you're in-country, go out-country as little as possible.

I returned from my last offshore job on 26th May 2009 and haven't felt the need to go out of Thailand yet.

The local Thais up here in Nakhon Nowhere seem happy enough to see me around. I get genuine smiles from most people and a lot can understand my mangled Thai (being partly deaf doesn't help) and I can understand a lot of their mangled English.

I am fat and happy and expect to remain so here in Thailand until I die and become a crispy critter.

It is common sense that people will move if visa conditions here become onerous.

No one has mentioned a mass exodus except you.

Did not say mass. You said many. Not noticed that locally. TV headlines rarely crop up in daily conversation. No change here but you obviously know better.

Did not say mass. You said many. Not noticed that locally. TV headlines rarely crop up in daily conversation. No change here but you obviously know better.

You seem to be quite argumentative today. Wonder why?

I am giving you my opinion based on my experience in my local area.

Had a Chang or two. Still disagree with your expat exodus statement.

I am most impressed that you disagree with me. That is why Thai visa is always interesting. Everyone can give their opinions.

Enjoy your Chang. Large bottles?

I think there is going to be closer scrutiny of all classes of people staying in Thailand.

Governments use so called terrorist attacks as an excuse to crack down on lots of other things. This precedent was undoubtedly set by the US after 9/11. I doubt Thailand will be any different. Asean border controls theoretically are lifted on January 1st 2016. There is not much talk here, of what that will really mean. If implemented one can expect an influx of people from other Asean countries who will seek employment in lower paid jobs. Lower income foreigners will therefore be less attractive to Thai authorities. Many of these do not pay tax and do not contribute greatly to the Thai economy. They will be encouraged to leave by more stringent visa enforcement and other restrictions. That's how I read it, but hope I am wrong!

Quote Lower income foreigners will therefore be less attractive to Thai authorities. Many of these do not pay tax and do not contribute greatly to the Thai economy. unquote. I find this line of thinking hard to follow. I must have a 65,000 baht a month proven pension or 800,000 bahts in the bank. I have a g/f I provide for so who are these lower income foreigners and how would they be allowed to stay here? I feel I contribute to the Thai economy. Strange one.

I am most impressed that you disagree with me. That is why Thai visa is always interesting. Everyone can give their opinions.

Enjoy your Chang. Large bottles?

Can't afford large bottles but thanks for your concern. Have nice day yourself.

A few months ago we took a drive down to a border crossing about 20 km east of Sadao. I didn't need a visa. Just wanted to check it out as it is the closest one to where I live. The IO we spoke to was very friendly. She said to do visa run I would have to stay in Malaysia overnight.

I asked why because the other border crossings are not like that and she explained that it is up to head immigration officer at each crossing.

I thought she was full of bs but maybe not with all the different rules everywhere. I think I will try it sometime anyway as it's not far and quiet unlike Sadao.

Edited by Hatyaier

I think for westerners like myself who have homes and familly here and have been around for years ,things will stay the same, as for border runners i cannot say as i have never had to do it.

ditto.

it will have very little to do with me or the people i associate with.

I think there is going to be closer scrutiny of all classes of people staying in Thailand.

As I mention in this post concerning the conviction and subsequent dropping of charges in lieu of simple parole of a convicted Thai national.

At least in this court, Thai convict are given less stringent reporting requirements that foreign expatiates, i.e., a parolee reports 6 times in two years; a foreign expat reports 5 times a year (four 90 day reports and one visit to process an extension) not to mention home visits.

So in this case, a convicted felon only has to report 3 times a year to his parole office; foreigner have to report 5 times - So question in point: who is viewed a the most serious national security risk?

It would be interesting to know if this is standard practice in assigning parole, but in my book, every foreigner is a suspected convict and needs to be watched with more diligence than convicted Thai criminals. Interesting?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/854536-phuket-jail-term-suspended-for-tiger-disco-inferno-deaths/page-2#entry9834399

Edited by connda

It may become more difficult for those who rely on cheating and corruption to stay in Thailand.

We have already seen a decrease in non educated Ed visas and life time "tourist" visa runs...

That is not a bad thing, is it?

Still beleive in Santa Claus and the tooth fairy do you?

It's easier than ever for fraudsters and criminals to stay in thailand. As long as the immigration keep accepting bribes then criminals will always have a much easier time than the law abiding.

BTW, criminals don't use visa runs, doing so would just be like a flashing light to the authorities of their presence. So eliminating the visa runs will have no effect on crime. Like I said before, the only way to stop foriegn criminals entering thailand is to stop all foriegners from entering the country. There is no other way.

I'm assuming those who are up to their ears in illegal activity, payoffs, and corruption probably have the funds for the Thai Elite Visa. No questions asked.