If You Could Buy Any Pickup Right Now What Would It Be?

FruitPudding

Toyota..........No question.........Don't give a feeerk about gizmo's, all that crap......Reliability to get you there..

AAAAAAAAAAAAH, Ford guys will trounce me now, but they ain't now got a V8 under the hood.......laugh.png

I assume you are talking about the Vigo as the new Revo has brand new engines and is way too early in their lifespan to be considered reliable.

Saying that Iam considering trading my Vigo on a new Wildtrak Ranger.

Right - anyone that says the 1/2GD-FTV series are reliable must be some sort of fortune teller. If they're basing that projection off the 1/2KD-FTV series of the old model, they're just fantasizing...

Just google for 'injector seals' (leads to complete engine seizure) and 'cold knock' for starters...

What's reliable about a Toyota pickup is that every mechanic has seen it's flaws 1,000 times before, not that it's flawless.

^^^ Exactly!!

Apart from the mediocre fuel consumption the previous automatic diesel Triton seems to be well-built and reliable. And the latest model seems to offer a big improvement in fuel consumption.

One thing that I look for in a vehicle here is an extensive dealer network and good parts availability, and I'm not sure that one gets this with anything other than the top three brands. I would not want to break down only to be told that the nearest dealer is 300 miles away and will need several weeks to get parts anyway.

A very important factor, especially for those who live away from the large metropolitan centers!

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not want to break down only to be told that the nearest dealer is 300 miles away and will need several weeks to get parts anyway.

In that case, you've only eliminated the 2M Baht Volkswagen Amarok - every other pickup brand has at least one dealer per province - even Chev - so impossible you'd ever be that far away from one.

I challenge TA to test drive the WildTrack 3.2 and then post his impressions.

I am an admittedly a dyed-in-the-wool MU-7 enthusiast - with upgrades. Even still, after test driving its Ford equivalent, I readily admit that the Ford is technologically more advanced, the interior is very good - though not as spacious as the MU-7 - and that the power train and ride quality is smooth.

Ford is making a statement, first with its Wildtrack pickup and now with its EV SUV, that it wants to be 'The new sheriff in town'!

I agree with Giddypu, I would go for the Triton, and IMHO you should too. They are all good trucks, except for Ford and Chevy which you are almost certain to regret (unless color is your only consideration), but the Mitsu is the best "truck for the buck" in Thailand, full stop. I have last year's 4-door Triton Plus, with the 2.5 Turbo, and its fun to drive and runs really well. And I expect that the new model is much better.

No offence, but the outgoing Triton drives and feels like something prehistoric compared to everything that's currently available - if that's your baseline, you'll be happy with anything current wink.png The new Triton included - so long as you can get over that styling tongue.png

Not dissing it, it was easily the 2nd best truck of it's era, but wow, the goalposts have moved a lot in the past year.

I had an Isuzu D Max before I bought the 2014 Triton, if you think the Triton drives like something prehistoric, believe me, the Triton drives like a dream compared to the Isuzu. I've owned it for 10 months now, it's never missed a beat and it's economical, powerful enough and comfortable. No complaints from this Triton owner.

I agree with Giddypu, I would go for the Triton, and IMHO you should too. They are all good trucks, except for Ford and Chevy which you are almost certain to regret (unless color is your only consideration), but the Mitsu is the best "truck for the buck" in Thailand, full stop. I have last year's 4-door Triton Plus, with the 2.5 Turbo, and its fun to drive and runs really well. And I expect that the new model is much better.

No offence, but the outgoing Triton drives and feels like something prehistoric compared to everything that's currently available - if that's your baseline, you'll be happy with anything current wink.png The new Triton included - so long as you can get over that styling tongue.png

Not dissing it, it was easily the 2nd best truck of it's era, but wow, the goalposts have moved a lot in the past year.

I had an Isuzu D Max before I bought the 2014 Triton, if you think the Triton drives like something prehistoric, believe me, the Triton drives like a dream compared to the Isuzu. I've owned it for 10 months now, it's never missed a beat and it's economical, powerful enough and comfortable. No complaints from this Triton owner.

I agree - the D-Max and Colorado are both also showing their age... the Ranger, Revo, (new) Triton, BT50 and Navara are what's setting the bar, today.

Good idea, but I reckon you'd have just about as much luck asking him to change the football team he's been cheering for since he was a kid ;)

Can't go wrong with the true and proven Toyota or Isuzu, They're the workhorses in Thailand. Had my Isuzu for 3 yrs now, nothing to complain about.

..nothing to write home about either

tongue.png

Edited by IMHO

I am an admittedly a dyed-in-the-wool MU-7 enthusiast - with upgrades. Even still, after test driving its Ford equivalent, I readily admit that the Ford is technologically more advanced, the interior is very good - though not as spacious as the MU-7 - and that the power train and ride quality is smooth.

Ford is making a statement, first with its Wildtrack pickup and now with its EV SUV, that it wants to be 'The new sheriff in town'!

It would probably drive like a dream...But, in LOS I want a tried and tested long term reliability pickup, thats why I have a Toyota.

Back in the UK I would never buy a Toyota ride, driven many and found them uncomfortable. But here, I put the 'seat' thing to one side and knew what I must buy.

If I was one of you rich guy's today, that changes their ride every couple of years I might look around, but over 8 years back, fortunately, the only pickup worth having with an auto trans was the Vigo. It has been faultless accept buying a new radiator, no it didn't fail, a bit broke off which I could not fix, think the bit was fractured by someone at service, later failed..

I hope they replaced your faulty front brakes (recalled in 2008), and faulty injector seals (recalled in 2011)..

Also, did you change the injectors yet? Toyota are the only brand I know of that deem injectors to be a 'consumable' that needs routine replacing every 100,000KM.

Also, I hope you've changed those factory alloys that were a contributor to it failing the moose test? (new wheels were only part of the solution - it needed VSC as well to pass).

It would probably drive like a dream...But, in LOS I want a tried and tested long term reliability pickup, thats why I have a Toyota.

Back in the UK I would never buy a Toyota ride, driven many and found them uncomfortable. But here, I put the 'seat' thing to one side and knew what I must buy.

If I was one of you rich guy's today, that changes their ride every couple of years I might look around, but over 8 years back, fortunately, the only pickup worth having with an auto trans was the Vigo. It has been faultless accept buying a new radiator, no it didn't fail, a bit broke off which I could not fix, think the bit was fractured by someone at service, later failed..

Back in the UK I had 2 Toyota Rav4s, the last one for 10 years, both were great, totally reliable, only needed a new battery after 9 years. Now got a Vigo 4x4, very happy. Only thing I'd moan about is the lack of choice of colours with Toyota in Thailand. I have to admit that I was influenced by Top Gear, but despite all the BS they spouted the Toyota came across as rock solid.

My vigo just turned 8 years old and after only changing a battery and standard services there is no way i would change to a Ford .

The guy down the road spends more time on his wifes honda Scoopy since his Ranger is still in the dealers since last november with another engine related problem but to be fair it looks very pretty

And one day when he sells it there will be very few km on it

I would not want to break down only to be told that the nearest dealer is 300 miles away and will need several weeks to get parts anyway.

In that case, you've only eliminated the 2M Baht Volkswagen Amarok - every other pickup brand has at least one dealer per province - even Chev - so impossible you'd ever be that far away from one.

OK, maybe they have 300 miles covered, but how far is it between the two most distant dealerships of the less common brands, I wonder? I quite like the idea of having at least one dealership in every medium-sized town, which all the top three brands seem to offer.

And my comment about parts availability still stands.

Toyota..........No question.........Don't give a feeerk about gizmo's, all that crap......Reliability to get you there..

AAAAAAAAAAAAH, Ford guys will trounce me now, but they ain't now got a V8 under the hood.......laugh.png

Ah, but the 5 pot 3.2 is not a bad motor.

Gotta be the 3.2 Wildtrak with all the trimmings smile.png

I read the UK Ford designed/built motor has had probs. Weeeeell, just what I read...BUT, Toyota don't deal in designing a motor that will have probs...smile.png

I thought they were designed and made Australia and put together here as they do not really have the skilled work force here to make from scratch.

So the OP possibly wants to join the ranks of the bullyboys who use their sheer bulk to muscle into traffic lanes. Or tailgate anything under 120 km/hr.

I am wondering if it is possible to equip a passenger car with retractable blades like the chariots in Ben Hur. Just to teach these over-sized louts with penis substitutes some road manners.

Ah, but the 5 pot 3.2 is not a bad motor.

Gotta be the 3.2 Wildtrak with all the trimmings smile.png

I read the UK Ford designed/built motor has had probs. Weeeeell, just what I read...BUT, Toyota don't deal in designing a motor that will have probs...smile.png

I thought they were designed and made Australia and put together here as they do not really have the skilled work force here to make from scratch.

He's referring to the engines, which were designed in Europe, and have been in service now for over a decade in various different cars, and with numerous improvements/revisions.

I just ordered my choice. An Isuzu V Cross 3.0 liter Z Prestige.

I don't blame you.I have had Isuzu's for 12 years here now and the only thing they needed were a new battery and tyres.

Couple of mates who bought the Ford because it looked good and had nice colours have lived to regret it.

The trucks have spent more time in the workshop than on the road with one of them having to wait 2 months for a part.So I would go for Isuzu then a Toyota

After looking around at the most likely options settled on the Vero 4x4 twin cab. 1.1 mil. Auto, cruise, reverse camera, gps, electric driver seat control, 6 or 8? air bags, anti skid and balance controls, etc, etc. Took it for a 1200km drive last week and no complaints from any of the 4 people about ride or comfort. I know, a long way to go before it's proven but it is a great motor.

Quite understandable if that's the criteria you choose to follow and to help keep our focus here, it's not the amount of anyone's well earned income that comes into play, we are all here discussing the new developments in this auto industry as they occur. Would it not be a benefit to your credentials on this forum if your perceptions were at least based on a test drive?

Edited by luwahn

After looking around at the most likely options settled on the Vero 4x4 twin cab. 1.1 mil. Auto, cruise, reverse camera, gps, electric driver seat control, 6 or 8? air bags, anti skid and balance controls, etc, etc. Took it for a 1200km drive last week and no complaints from any of the 4 people about ride or comfort. I know, a long way to go before it's proven but it is a great motor.

Do you mean Revo?

My Dad was a Ford fan boy for as long as I can remember. I preferred GM products. I was teasing him one day about his Ford product rattling. He told me that maybe his Ford did rattle but that it would rattle longer than my Chevy. The bottom line is that he would never even consider buying any vehicle unless it was built by Ford.

The company that I worked for here in Thailand bought me a new Isuzu. I absolutely despised that truck. It idled so rough that the fenders would shake at stop lights, Now I have ordered a new Isuzu.

I don't have much brand loyalty. I buy whichever brand that I like the best at the time. I believe that all the trucks built in Thailand are good vehicles and that if there was a big quality difference, that they would soon be out of business. I do admire Ford for the progress they have made. Just a few years ago they had the worst fuel economy and now they are a very close second to the leader, Isuzu. I do look at the fuel economy closely, not so much because of the fuel cost but because I consider the best fuel economy vehicles to be the best engineered. Kudos to Toyota for their new 2.8 liter diesel. They knew their old diesel engines left a lot to be desired.

It's a good thing that we all don't like the same vehicles or the same beer.

YES, Toyota did fit a VSC system to help with a trucks roll characteristics....

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer, do NEW Fords have VSC..?.......coffee1.gif

Yes they do, I wonder why...........laugh.png

No need to wonder - it's because Ford have long been the market leader in Thailand when it comes to safety features...

2010 Ford Fiesta - first compact car in TH with a full set of airbags and electronic safety aids the same as it's Western market equivalents.

2011 Ford Ranger - first pickup in TH with same

2012 Ford Focus - first mid size car in TH with same

Ford has been giving the market proper safety features a lot longer than anyone else. And some brands still don't offer it all. Only EU brands have been doing it longer in TH.

What does stand out is Toyota - they fitted VSC to the Fortuner and Vigo but continued giving them just 2 airbags - why did they do just half a job? Because VSC wasn't added as a safety aid, but more a safety necessity. i.e. what you're trying to insinuate here is applicable to Toyota.

Edited by IMHO

Quite understandable if that's the criteria you choose to follow and to help keep our focus here, it's not the amount of anyone's well earned income that comes into play, we are all here discussing the new developments in this auto industry as they occur. Would it not be a benefit to your credentials on this forum if your perceptions were at least based on a test drive?

Nar, we need a die-hard Toyota guy here, to remind us of our Thai uncle's :)

2015 economy run;

A convoy of four Isuzu D-MAX pick-up trucks successfully completed a journey from Bangkok to Singapore in a single tank – that’s 1,809 km on less than its fuel tank’s capacity of 76 litres of diesel to be exact. The new record shatters the previous one where the D-MAX completed a 1,600 km journey from Bangkok to Melaka.

The convoy consisted of a pair of 2.5 litre models in manual and auto as well as a pair of 3.0 litre models in manual and auto. All were equipped with the 4X4 drivetrain. Air conditioning was turned on. Additionally, the trucks ran on Thai-sourced diesel and a commercial vehicle speed limit (pick-ups are considered as such in Thailand) of 80 km/h meant that the cars averaged between 70-80 km/h during the drive.

Additionally, the trucks ran on Thai-sourced diesel and a commercial vehicle speed limit (pick-ups are considered as such in Thailand) of 80 km/h meant that the cars averaged between 70-80 km/h during the drive.

That's not true - pickups enjoy the exact same speed limits in Thailand as passenger cars, example:

speeds.jpg

Source: http://freebeerforyorky.com/driving.html

Edited by IMHO

YES, Toyota did fit a VSC system to help with a trucks roll characteristics....

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer, do NEW Fords have VSC..?.......coffee1.gif

Yes they do, I wonder why...........laugh.png

No need to wonder - it's because Ford have long been the market leader in Thailand when it comes to safety features...

2010 Ford Fiesta - first compact car in TH with a full set of airbags and electronic safety aids the same as it's Western market equivalents.

2011 Ford Ranger - first pickup in TH with same

2012 Ford Focus - first mid size car in TH with same

Ford has been giving the market proper safety features a lot longer than anyone else. And some brands still don't offer it all. Only EU brands have been doing it longer in TH.

What does stand out is Toyota - they fitted VSC to the Fortuner and Vigo but continued giving them just 2 airbags - why did they do just half a job? Because VSC wasn't added as a safety aid, but more a safety necessity. i.e. what you're trying to insinuate here is applicable to Toyota.

You can spout on all you like about Ford, but there are particular types of Brits on TV that were brought up on a series of crap Fords, even the Transit with the 3.2 was crap compared to the Merc sprinter, I worked for Parcel Force in London and was pretty familiar with both types. Still have nightmares from my ownership of MK2 Escort. Pretty as they look the new Rangers, I'll stick with anything Japanese, which is currently a 6yo Vigo.