Branson considers Thailand move for Virgin airline as health clubs flourish

webfact

Branson considers Thailand move for Virgin airline as health clubs flourish
WATCHIRANONT THONGTEP
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- BILLIONAIRE businessman Richard Branson is considering entering his Virgin airline into the Thai aviation market soon while ramping up his Virgin Active health club chain.

"We are just starting beautiful health clubs here in Thailand. One day, I expect to fly our airlines in the Kingdom. It should be here sooner in a big way but at least we have radio stations.

"I think in January and February there will be a good thing to be announced," he said yesterday.

"I would love to operate flights, one day, to connect to Australia via here," the founder of the British Virgin Group said during a brief stopover in Bangkok.

With his philosophy of "shake the market up", Virgin Group launched Virgin Australia airlines in 2000. Now the carrier claims it has captured 35 per cent of the Australian aviation industry from its rival Qantas Airlines.

Also, it appears that Virgin Group is very active in expanding its Virgin Active health club in Asia-Pacific, including Thailand and Singapore.

Triple the number of health clubs

Before hitting Bangkok over the weekend, Branson revealed on Australian media that he was planning to invest about $200 million (Bt7.2 billion) to more than triple the number of health clubs over three years.

Thailand has three locations: Empire Tower, EmQuartier and Central WestGate.

Virgin Group has had a strong presence in Thailand for 13 years through its partner BEC-Tero Radio, which operates two rations stations - 95.5 Virgin Hitz and Virgin Star FM98 - in Bangkok.

"Radio is everlasting despite entering into the digital age. There will be a new form of radio on Facebook and mobile phones and other digital radio platforms, which are available anywhere," Branson said.

People love radio. For example, 90 per cent of people in the US and 88 per cent in Britain listen to the radio, he said.

Ian Grace, chief executive officer of Virgin Radio International, said his company has real radio in many other countries such as Italy, France, Canada, Lebanon and Dubai.

By year-end, it will have one in Jakarta and is going back to the UK in March or April.

Neil Thompson, managing director of BEC-Tero Radio, said the radio business gained strength this year through integration with other businesses such as concerts and shows, and on-ground, on-air and online activities.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Branson-considers-Thailand-move-for-Virgin-airline-30268714.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-14

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Waiting for the English translation of this gibberish.

Ok, the man is a bilionner planning soon to fly the Thailand Australia routs, has 3 beauty clubs in Bkk and 2 radio

stations and this is just the beginning, as Branson known to be the fox in the hen house attitude

when it come to business savvy....the more the better I say,,

Ok, the man is a bilionner planning soon to fly the Thailand Australia routs, has 3 beauty clubs in Bkk and 2 radio

stations and this is just the beginning, as Branson known to be the fox in the hen house attitude

"One day, I expect to fly our airlines in the Kingdom." do you translate that as "soon"?

I see it more like he was asked if they fly to Thailand and he gave a polite answer.

"One day, I expect to fly our airlines in the Kingdom." do you translate that as "soon"?

I see it more like he was asked if they fly to Thailand and he gave a polite answer.

So long as business plan stays on track he is indicating an entry to the Thai aviation market...

"I think in January and February there will be a good thing to be announced,"

Edited by simple1

The man is an absolute legend and having had the privilege of meeting him knows what he doers. When he first opened health clubs in the UK he worked one ach job each day. one day in the basket room, one cleaning up, one on reception. He actually listened to his staff. as an example the cleaners wanted bigger brushes, he got them.

As a managerial leader he is one person who I would follow. More Branson in Thailand. maybe his ethics might rub off here in the business world. Honesty, Integrity and hard work. all traits of him.

So long as business plan stays on track he is indicating an entry to the Thai aviation market...

"I think in January and February there will be a good thing to be announced,"

yes something, somewhere...radio station, health club or flight to Thailand....

He used to fly his airline into Thailand but cut the route very recently. The poorly written article didn't make mention of that.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/846836-virgin-australia-dumps-phuket-flights/

It's nothing but PR from the master of PR, Sir Richard Branson, though like others, I'd love to see Virgin compete here.

There is something ''swarmy'' about him .Sorry Richard ,i find you creepy .

I think the word you are looking for is "smarmy".

"excessively or unctuously flattering, ingratiating, servile, etc.:"

None of which describe Branson.

He is a true mover and shaker and gets things done. He would turn Thai Airways around in a few weeks although he may not be everybody's cup of tea, his successes cannot be dismissed easily.

I am sure if he had a shave and a short haircut he would be just another business man. He will never be seen with a thai around his neck.

post-9891-0-04965600-1442196849_thumb.jp

It would be a brave move to try to establish another kangaroo route service....already Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Cathay, China Southern , Thai.., JAL, China Airlines, Korean...and even Garuda...as well as Qatas, BA, Emirates, Etihad, Qatar.

Very deep pockets required and be prepared for another price war. Virgin Australia bleeds cash.

The man is an absolute legend and having had the privilege of meeting him knows what he doers. When he first opened health clubs in the UK he worked one ach job each day. one day in the basket room, one cleaning up, one on reception. He actually listened to his staff. as an example the cleaners wanted bigger brushes, he got them.

As a managerial leader he is one person who I would follow. More Branson in Thailand. maybe his ethics might rub off here in the business world. Honesty, Integrity and hard work. all traits of him.

Ethics? He started out as a crook fiddling purchase tax and pretending to export goods that were being sold in his shop. He defrauded customs and excise out of a lot of money and was lucky not to end up inside for a stretch.

The thought of prison scared him so much he got some ethics.

He has become an icon and good for him but he, like us all, does what he thinks he can get away with and is not a saint!