Revo 4X4 MT vs AT safety features.

jack2964

Been browsing the Toyota website and am keen on the Revo 2.8G Manual 4x4.

I miss out on several 'Safety' features by opting for manual vs auto. I've always preferred manual over auto and would like to remain so.

Am I compromising safety?

The screen shot (green box) isn't too clear of the features that aren't included in the Manual model, I'll list them here in descending order;

a. brake assist (BA)

b. vehicle stability control (VSC)

c. traction control (TRC)

d. trailer sway control (TSC)

e. hill start assist control (HAC)

f. down hill assist control (DAC)

post-128422-0-19982900-1442202943_thumb.

The omission of BA is surprising, considering it has ABS and the two usually go hand-in-hand. I'm wondering it that's a typo.

The last 3 features are just checkboxes on the spec sheet - I wouldn't base a buying decision on those (unless you actually tow a trailer, or do serious off-roading), but traction and stability control in a RWD pickup (the Revo is only part-time 4WD) that might be used unladen on wet roads is worth thinking about.

I am not an off roading enthusiast but I do visit some national parks/wildlife sanctuaries that require 4x4. Panoen Tung in Kraeng Krachan NP is quite a challenge for me.

My current vigo 4x4 manual has served me well until last week; I had a scare a few kms before Sangkhla Buri. I was taking a sharp left followed by steep incline at night in moderate rain when I gave a little too much pedal on the incline before straightening the steering and the rear skidded. Luckily no other vehicles adjacent me. Was on 2x4 then.

Have plans for a small boat on a trailer too when I find a bargain. So whatever that enhances safety is nice. But I really don't want an Auto.

Those 'check-boxes' indicate the systems are installed in the Auto model. Toyota for some strange reason has decided against installing those features in the Man model. They omitted them in the old vigo manual as well.

Hi,

Following the topic. Was my last question (regarding the topic which truck?). The truck will be the 2.8 Revo, but now also hesitating for AT regarding the same points. I'm a manual driver, but 2015 auto gearbox could be much better than my thoughts.

I guess a try of both will be the best answer.

Cheers

Price diff now is 70k baht between MT and AT and if Toyota fitted all the missing safety features in the MT model I reckon the diff would be around 20k to 30k and shouldn't be a deal breaker for guys who prefer MT. Ah well...there are other trucks to look at.

Archived