Island Murders

Chatting with a recently arrived couple of young English tourists, they said that they are thinking of going to Koh Tao to do some snorkeling. I asked them , were'nt they concerned about the yet unsolved murders, to which they replied "What murders" This goes to show how much the Brit media are covering the case. Both these persons are reasonably intelligent persons, one an engineer with Land Rover and the other a secretary, so would take notice of news items.

This couple have only been here for three days and from what they told me have already been 'scammed' twice. First on arrival at Suratthani airport via Air Asia. The chap selling them their bus tickets to Samui, told them that on arrival at Naton, he had 3 mini busses waiting, one going South, one going East one going North. As they were going to Maenam they booked on the one going North. The guy selling the tickets told them that he only had 9 seats left on the buses and that the Maenam one was a bargain at Bht200 each, and that if they did'nt book they would have to take a taxi which would cost Bht2000. When they got to the buses there were plenty of seats ! My partner recently payed Bht 60 to Naton from Maenam on the bht bus.

The second scam was when the police stopped them on their motorcy and asked for their licence, which they did not have, he told them that they had to pay bht 700 for that offense ?

So much for their welcome to Thailand. coffee1.gif

They can't be that switched on because they are the only tourists i've spoken to who haven't heard about the murders. Telegraph, Guardian, Mail and Independent, the BBC, all covering it.

Its also been reported on Sky News. Perhaps this couple live on some commune?

The second scam was when the police stopped them on their motorcy and asked for their licence, which they did not have, he told them that they had to pay bht 700 for that offense ?

It should have been 2000 baht.

Penalty for driving without a license has gone up, it is now minimum 2000 baht and max 3 months jail.

200 baht is a normal price for mini van drop offs....which take people to their hotel..... Occasionally they drop it to 100 on Lomprayah ... I am not sure about the others....

Baht bus drops to the closest point, and is not a hotel drop off service...unless on the actually route. So it could be a walk to the hotel.

Were they wearing helmets when pulled over...? In all my years of driving here, I have never been pulled over, so find that strange...

Hundreds of people a day are still going to Koh Tao.... it's the most popular destination for days trips for at least two tour companies I know of, boats are full, despite reports given occasionally on Sky News about the fiasco going on, people are still going there and will continue to do so...

police stopped them on their motorcy and asked for their licence, which they did not have...

Did they mean did not have one or did not have it with them...

Personally even though getting about Samui is a nightmare, and a bike is really a must ...If you are licenced to ride(drive) one, the attitude OK to pay a small fine or more to the point bribe a cop for no licence is something that just would not happen in the UK.

For driving without a licence = vehicle impounded, fine up to £1,000 (50,000THB), at least 3 points on your licence (even if you do not have a DL it goes on your driving record) can even be disqualification, caught again if disqualified lot bigger fine, maybe imprisonment, then the cops look at other infringements, If you have insurance it would be invalid, that's before they start kicking the tyres...

police stopped them on their motorcy and asked for their licence, which they did not have...

Personally even though getting about Samui is a nightmare, and a bike is really a must ...If you are licenced to ride(drive) one, the attitude OK to pay a small fine or more to the point bribe a cop for no licence is something that just would not happen in the UK.

For driving without a licence = vehicle impounded, fine up to £1,000 (50,000THB), at least 3 points on your licence (even if you do not have a DL it goes on your driving record) can even be disqualification, caught again if disqualified lot bigger fine, maybe imprisonment, then the cops look at other infringements, If you have insurance it would be invalid, that's before they start kicking the tyres...

Apparently both have English licences and one international, the cop asked for Thai licence, at the same time kids were driving past on a m/c. Yes they did have helmets. Admit it , just a money collecting scam.

200 baht is a normal price for mini van drop offs....which take people to their hotel..... Occasionally they drop it to 100 on Lomprayah ... I am not sure about the others....

Baht bus drops to the closest point, and is not a hotel drop off service...unless on the actually route. So it could be a walk to the hotel.

Were they wearing helmets when pulled over...? In all my years of driving here, I have never been pulled over, so find that strange...

Hundreds of people a day are still going to Koh Tao.... it's the most popular destination for days trips for at least two tour companies I know of, boats are full, despite reports given occasionally on Sky News about the fiasco going on, people are still going there and will continue to do so...

In all my years i have also never been pulled over .........so what ! Yesterday i saw a cop pull over a Chinese couple down by 75, but just waved me on. Both had crash helmets on.

They can't be that switched on because they are the only tourists i've spoken to who haven't heard about the murders. Telegraph, Guardian, Mail and Independent, the BBC, all covering it.

Its also been reported on Sky News. Perhaps this couple live on some commune?

OK and well done for your keen observance.

Apparently both have English licences and one international, the cop asked for Thai licence, at the same time kids were driving past on a m/c. Yes they did have helmets. Admit it , just a money collecting scam.

There is no such thing as an "International Licences", you are referring to an IDP (International Driving Permit) an internationally agreed document to accompany ones own licences while driving in another country as agreed by international convention dating back to 1926.

Apparently both have English licences and one international

The only person required to have valid driving documents is the person driving, did he/she have UK driving licences and IDP (for that licences) on them when stopped? (you did say in the OP "police stopped them on their motorcy and asked for their licence, which they did not have.")

Sorry to be sceptical, I do not disagree these things happen but we also get a lot of second/third hand stories with a lot of spin on them.

Edited by Basil B

Homicides happens all the time everywhere.

If one would start to remind people about recent murders, one might as well do it to every city in the world.

I think you'll find its the manner in which the aftermath has and is being dealt with that has ensured it will never leave the news.

Such terrible incidences happen daily the world over and all anyone has the right to expect is an honest investigation hopefully resulting in the appending of the perpetrators of the crime. A transparent investigation, culminating in a conviction and closure. Go figure.

It is my understanding that under the 1949 Geneva convention on road traffic, 1968 Vienna convention on road traffic a valid UK photo driving licence is legal in thailand if visiting as a tourist , and is not on any other type of visa, residence permit

wrong...

The 1949 Geneva Convention amongst other things revised the IDP (International Driving Permit) and did not abolish it... the 1968 Vienna Convention amongst other things detailed the format of the IDP (http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/conventn/Conv_road_traffic_EN.pdf ANNEX 7 P69).

I have heard Thailand will accept a UK licence without an IDP... whether this is official I do not know? a IDP is not really that much use in Thailand as I know of no country issuing IDP's with a Thai translation.

Have also heard Thai police refusing to recognise the IDP because it is older than 3 months yet the document by convention is valid for 1 year.

Would nice if someone were to produce a Thai translation on a white piece of paper, A6 size with the relevant legislation on the back (chapter a verse) in Thai and English which could be inserted in an IDP.

If one would start to remind people about recent murders, one might as well do it to every city in the world.

I think you'll find its the manner in which the aftermath has and is being dealt with that has ensured it will never leave the news.

Such terrible incidences happen daily the world over and all anyone has the right to expect is an honest investigation hopefully resulting in the appending of the perpetrators of the crime. A transparent investigation, culminating in a conviction and closure. Go figure.

"Same Textbooks"......?

DixonofDockGreen.jpg

Edited by evadgib

Well.... not really, because Koh Tao is not a city, it is a tiny little island with an official population of around 1,500 that a reasonable swimmer can swim around in less in half a day. The attached shows just how small this island is when compared with other islands such as Phuket. It's a long way from being a city...

And if you're someone who enjoys the nightlife scene then that little red area of Koh Tao is where you are likely to be hanging out, which also happens to be the area in which David and Hannah were brutally murdered. It's actually a lot more like a street than a city.

So to put things into perspective...

TAT figures for average daily tourist numbers to Koh Tao in 2006 (last official survey): 300-400. For the sake of argument let's call it 1,000 after adjusting for increases in the number of hotel rooms over the years since 2006. So...

Total number of people on Koh Tao at the time of the murders: 2,500 (estimate)

Total number of people working in the twin towers of the World Trade Centre on an average day: 50,000

Total number of visitors to the twin towers on an average day: 150,000

Total number of floors at the twin towers: 163 (94 in WTC 1 and 69 in WTC 2)

(Source: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/aug/18/usa.terrorism)

Average number of people per floor per day in the twin towers: 1,227

Let's say that 3 floors of the World Trade Centre twin towers represents approximately the number of people on Koh Tao at the time David and Hannah were killed, and for the sake of a reference point let's assign floors 40-42 of WTC 1 as the "Koh Tao" floors.

Based on your post, if you knew that there was a chance that a psychopathic serial killer (or killers) was (or were) quite possibly still on the loose on those 3 floors, and that he (or they) had most likely just gotten away with a double homicide on those floors, you are of the opinion that this information is irrelevant and should be suppressed.

You're seriously suggesting that if you were taking a vacation in New York and had planned a sightseeing visit to the twin towers you would not want to know about the recent murders that had occurred in the building, nor would you would want to hear any suggestions that staying away from floors 40-42 of WTC 1 may be a good idea because there is possibly a psychopath on the loose on those floors?

I'm pretty certain that I would like to know, and then I can assess the risks myself and make a decision based on my own judgement rather than being blindfolded and kept in the dark.

But hey, we all have different ways of doing things, and if you wouldn't have a problem with your loved ones visiting Koh Tao and you wouldn't feel the need to mention anything to them about the recent murders then that's your call and I wish you luck with that. I'm sure they'd be fine... I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

post-14840-0-84671900-1442440442_thumb.j

Fortunately there are still plenty of tourists who are very well aware of the murders, but still have enough common sense to come and visit the crystal clear waters of diving paradise Ko Tao.

I take it you have a business there? I would not let anyone of my friends or family go anywhere near that cesspool with murderers ready to rape and killed unsuspecting victims. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Hope to go there myself next year, just remember to keep ones head down, as Mole said there is some wonderful diving to be done out there, sure not scared me off.

But I do have a list of certain businesses that I will be avoiding... like those who just want the B2 nailed as soon as possible, whether they are guilty or not because it is bad for business.

Like to dive with a clear head so partying and pub crawls are out too.

It should have been 2000 baht.

Penalty for driving without a license has gone up, it is now minimum 2000 baht and max 3 months jail.

You mean that it's 2000 baht for some hapless farang. No way a Thai would ever have to pay that. They could run over (drunk) and kill 4 people for that much, especially if they run away and sober up first.

Shouldn't the onus be on the bike rental companies to ensure that the people they rent bikes to have a valid license? They are happy enough to take the money, after all.