Non Imm 'O' based on marriage

I'm a UK citizen, married to a Thai woman and I'm 61 (makes me feel old typing that smile.png)

I got my first Non Imm 'O' based on marriage in December 2013. I'd got previous visas of varying types through the consulate in Hull but when I phoned to check on something they gave a run down of what was needed and it included a financial requirement. I assume it was 400,000 Baht. I think at the time I didn't have it as at that time I was in the process of spending on building work in Thailand and waiting for the sale of my house in the UK to go through. Either that or they wanted money in a UK account as I had needed for an 'O A' visa previously. In that case it might have been difficult to arrange proof as I was busy working and it was close to Christmas as I was flying out on Christmas Day.

I'd never heard of this before so I tried Birmingham. This may well have been suggested on here as I tend to get a lot of information from this forum. Birmingham weren't aware of the financial requirement either so I applied through them. They did need an English translation of the marriage certificate which Hull didn't ask for but I managed to get that done quickly at great expense. I later got an extension but the visa has now expired whilst I've been in the UK.

I've been in the UK since last October, working and buying a property to rent out but I'm planning on returning to Thailand soon. I've looked at the Thai embassy website but that has always confused me so I'm doing what I normally do and coming here to check things out as they seem to change.

I know I need the application form and fee. I've got the marriage certificate and certified translation. I also have what my wife tells me is a copy of the marriage register which is in Thai. I've got copies of her ID and the blue book. Is there any financial requirement at this stage or is that just when applying for an extension.

It's possible that I will need to return to the UK on a regular basis, probably within the 90 days so will I need to arrange financial requirements for this.

Sorry I didn't intend to make it this long so if you've read this far, thanks.

You will not need financial proof at the embassy to apply for a multiple entry non-o based upon marriage.

You will need your marriage certificate (translation not needed at embassy) and signed copies of you wife's house book registry and ID card.

You can apply by post at the embassy. See: http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/401

• Like 1

"It's possible that I will need to return to the UK on a regular basis, probably within the 90 days so will I need to arrange financial requirements for this."

No. Once you have the multi entry visa you can come and go as often as you want. There are no financial requirements.

• Like 1

You will not need financial proof at the embassy to apply for a multiple entry non-o based upon marriage.

You will need your marriage certificate (translation not needed at embassy) and signed copies of you wife's house book registry and ID card.

You can apply by post at the embassy. See: http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/401

Thanks.

When you say signed copies can they be signed by me or does my wife have to sign them?

"It's possible that I will need to return to the UK on a regular basis, probably within the 90 days so will I need to arrange financial requirements for this."

No. Once you have the multi entry visa you can come and go as often as you want. There are no financial requirements.

Although I don't have as much spare money as I used to I still have enough to cover the 400k but I'd have to move it from my UK bank and I can meet the income requirements as well. That's just from work in the UK but that will drop but should be offset by the rental income. It's a pity you can't use a combination as I think you can on a retirement based visa in case the income drops at a later date. It will save the trouble if I'm leaving Thailand on a regular basis.

Thanks for all the help. This forum is such a good source of reliable information.

Although I don't have as much spare money as I used to I still have enough to cover the 400k but I'd have to move it from my UK bank and I can meet the income requirements as well. That's just from work in the UK but that will drop but should be offset by the rental income. It's a pity you can't use a combination as I think you can on a retirement based visa in case the income drops at a later date. It will save the trouble if I'm leaving Thailand on a regular basis.

Thanks for all the help. This forum is such a good source of reliable information.

If you don't want to move 400k to Thailand for an extension of stay you might want to consider a Non 'O-A' again. I believe they want 800k baht equivalent in a bank but they will use a combination of deposit and income as long as it totals 800k for the year. An 'O-A' gives multi entries and stays of up to 1 year. If fully utilised you can get nearly 2 years from this visa. Just a thought.

p.s. The bank deposit for an 'O-A' only need to be in the account on the day of application.

Edited by elviajero