NBTC places restrictions on TV ad time

webfact

NBTC places restrictions on TV ad time

BANGKOK, 15 September 2015 (NNT) – The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has placed restrictions on how long a television program can run advertisements. The new regulations apply to satellite, digital, and cable TV.

The NBTC invited stakeholders of subscription-based television to a clarification of the terms of service (TOS). NBTC Commissioner Supinya Klangnarong said that digital TV cannot exceed 12 minutes of advertisements per hour of programming. On the other hand, cable and satellite TV cannot exceed six minutes of advertisements per hour.

Ad ratio violations on cable TV will be fined 750,000 baht, and a further 20,000 baht for every additional day of the violation. Ad ratio violations on satellite and digital TV will be fined one million baht, and a further 50,000 baht for every additional day.

The TOS are slated to come into effect in October. Last month, the broadcaster regulator had announced its policy to protect television consumers.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-09-15 footer_n.gif

I assume they mean Thai channels. There's not much they can do about foreign channels, except show the "intermission" sign.

I wonder how True will manage as they often advertise for themselves on True Series. These "adverts run for up to 15 minutes.

I assume they mean Thai channels. There's not much they can do about foreign channels, except show the "intermission" sign.

I wonder how True will manage as they often advertise for themselves on True Series. These "adverts run for up to 15 minutes.

Would you know who's Friday night pep talk be considered a commercial? It is repetitive in nature and definitely a sales pitch.

Edited by elgordo38