Problem with wooden floor

dsurin66

This thread belongs in the DIY forum but I cant find it on the main page. I tried using CTRL F (find function) but cannot find it...

We have a wooden floor (cork?) as per the attached photo. The floor is raised in a round area around half a meter. Its like standing on a bubble underneath. As soon as you stand off the area it rises again.

What would be causing this? Im unsure if its our cleaner using the mop everyday or if its the wet weather / dam issue.

How would we fix this? I presume a floor glue is the only option ie take it apart and glue it down?

thanks

post-239628-0-62562500-1442454963_thumb.

Thats not cork thats a hardwood parquet floor, its not bonded to the floor properly, if its sealed properly using a mop everyday will not cause this, need to lift the offending bit and reglue it....use expoxy, or if you can make a few small holes in the joints pump glue under the section without lifting it, and put some heavy weight on the area for 24 hours

Thats not cork thats a hardwood parquet floor, its not bonded to the floor properly, if its sealed properly using a mop everyday will not cause this, need to lift the offending bit and reglue it....use expoxy, or if you can make a few small holes in the joints pump glue under the section without lifting it, and put some heavy weight on the area for 24 hours

I sort of agree, except it's raised as a bubble means it's expanded and may not fit back down properly....ie, be prepared to shave an edge or two or lift the entire area.

As Soutpeel suggested , I would drill a couple of very small holes and squirt the glue into each hole sufficient to spread out underneath the lifted flooring ... then try to seal the holes with tape of similar as a temporary means to stop the glue coming back out.

Place heavy objects on the glued area for a day or two and then remove. Seal the two holed properly with a hard resin glue and color the two spots dark brown same color as the floor.

these are parquetry floors, the wooden fingers are glued individually to the concrete in alternating patterns, if it is "bubbling" up then the glue has let go and moisture(humidity) is causing them to swell and lift(especially in rainy weather). To fix it properly you need to lift the area it is happening in and reset them after cleaning the surface under them. After seeing how many "wooden" floors are laid here it does not surprise me as they usually use inferior products, thin them down to make more profit or simply do not do them correctly in the first place. You can try resetting them with glue through holes )but it will not give a good bond due to what is already under them plus it will not spread around enough). Also they should be fully sealed to stop moisture effecting them, if it is anything like our timber floors this has never been done properly as they simply splash a coat or two over them without prepping them properly so that it does not seal them fully or adhere to the wood surface fully(not sanded and cleaned before coating). Unfortunately I doubt it will be an easy solution, parquetry floors need to be laid properly with a high quality bonding agent then sanded, cleaned off, have a sealer applied, sanded again then a couple of coats of urethane or similar applied(light sand between if needed), they should also have an expansion gap right around the edge of the floor with a skirting board cover the gap so there is room for any expansion. Good luck.

As Soutpeel suggested , I would drill a couple of very small holes and squirt the glue into each hole sufficient to spread out underneath the lifted flooring ... then try to seal the holes with tape of similar as a temporary means to stop the glue coming back out.

Place heavy objects on the glued area for a day or two and then remove. Seal the two holed properly with a hard resin glue and color the two spots dark brown same color as the floor.

If you put so much glue under the wood that it wants to come out when pressure applied, but you stop it doing so, it will cause a raised area. IMO you definitely need to allow excess glue out. Personally, I'd doubt you could pump enough glue under to reach the whole raised area.

Anyway, as said by another poster, it's better to raise the floor and prepare the under surface properly, or the problem will keep happening.

All wooden floors should have a 5mm gap around the perimiter to allow for expansion, same applies to floor tiles also..........Thais dont do this, many floor tiles also pop up as the buildings grow an shrink at different speeds, also as mentioned rarely (if ever) is a floor cleaned before being laid, best vacuum floor first then wipe clean many times then seal with some pva...........after all that the floor can be laid..............Thai way , just throw it down on a laod of dust/crap as when it lifts they will be long gone with your money.

I never laid a parquet floor but a colleague that did said that even architects didn't understand that you had to store the parquet in the room that it was to be laid in for at least a week, so that the parquet would adjust its humidity to that od the environment. Too dry? It will swell and warp. Too dry? you get shrinkage which is what you often see.

The above post is also correct, and then again the architect won't like a 5mm gap.

I never laid a parquet floor but a colleague that did said that even architects didn't understand that you had to store the parquet in the room that it was to be laid in for at least a week, so that the parquet would adjust its humidity to that od the environment. Too dry? It will swell and warp. Too dry? you get shrinkage which is what you often see.

The above post is also correct, and then again the architect won't like a 5mm gap.

That is why you have skirting boards :)