Thai Weather Bureau forecasts heavy to heaviest rains to continue

webfact

Weather bureau forecasts heavy to heaviest rains to continue for a few days

2015091700-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Tropical storm "Vamco" has caused havoc in many provinces across the country after it landed on the Vietnamese coastline early this week.

The Meteorological Department predicts its impact will continue in several regions of the country for the next few days.

In the latest warning this morning, the weather bureau said although the tropical storm has weakened into depression, it still will affect vast areas in the lower Northeast, Central, Eastern and Southern regions with heavy and heaviest rains in vast areas.

It warned people in these provinces to brace for more floodings from heavy rains in the next few days.

They include Ubon Ratchathani, Sisaket, Surin, Buriram, Nakhon Ratchasima, Nakhon Sawan, Lopburi, Saraburi, Nakhon Nayok, Prachinburi, Srakaew, Chachoengsao, Chonburi, Rayong, Chanthaburi, Trat, Ranong, Phang Nga, and Phuket.

Strong and high waves are also expected in the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand, it said and warned fishermen to stay on shore during the period.

Meanwhile heavy rain falls brought in by Vamco storm had caused flashflood in many provinces.

In Chumphon province, flashflood has rapid inundated Pato district, causing local homes in the area to be flooded or swept away. Large trees were also felled, landing on top of households.

However no casualties have been reported. Many roads in the district were also submerged by the floods and resident were also cut off from the outside world.

Muang Ranong district of Ranong province also faced similar situation, where heavy downpours and strong winds have caused trees to fall on top of more than 10 houses.

Meanwhile flash flood from the Benja Mountain range of Krabi province overflowed the Krabi Yai canal banks and inundated Baan Suan Prik road of Tap Prik subdistrict, making it impossible for small vehicles to commute in the area.

In Trang, more than 40 houses in Khok Lor town have their roofs blown away by the strong winds, and numerous vehicles and motorcycles were also damaged. The provincial office, in the mean time, has declared the province as disaster stricken area.

Vamco storm also caused heavy rainfall and high waves at Koh Samui, Koh Pa-ngun, and Koh Tao islands yesterday prompting many boat services to temporarily cancel their operations for the day, while the province has advised small boats to stay anchored ashore.

Meanwhile strong and high waves in Choburi province have stranded over 400 domestic and foreign visitors on the province’s Koh Lan island. Local authorities had to arrange 4 large ferries to the island to bring those stranded back on shore.

Three commercial boats were also sunken by the high waves.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/weather-bureau-forecasts-heavy-to-heaviest-rains-to-continue-for-a-few-days

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-17

Severe weather warnings remain in place until this weekend

w.jpg

BANGKOK, 17 September 2015 (NNT)-Severe weather warnings have been issued across the country as a low pressure system is still lingering over many regions.

The low pressure system, which was once tropical storm Vamco, has expanded over the Central Plains, the east coast, and the lower region of the Northeast.

It will bring heavy rain until this weekend to the following provinces: Ubon Ratchathani, Si Sa Ket, Surin, Buriram, Nakhon Ratchasrima, Nakhon Sawan, Lopburi, Saraburi, Nakhon Nayok, Prachinburi, Sa Kaeo, Chachoengsao, Chonburi, Rayong, Chanthaburi, Trat, Ranong, Phang Nga and Phuket.

Residents of these provinces have been warned to be cautious when leaving their homes. Waves in the Gulf of Thailand and in the Andaman Sea could reach a maximum height of 3 meters.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-09-17 footer_n.gif

So no water shortage soon. Let's hope that the government will preserve all that water and not waste during Songkran!

You wish.. the two dams are still not even close to being full enough. This is just not enough. some minor dams get the water but Bumibol and Sirikit dams are far from full enough and those are the ones that need to get filled.

So no water shortage soon. Let's hope that the government will preserve all that water and not waste during Songkran!

You wish.. the two dams are still not even close to being full enough. This is just not enough. some minor dams get the water but Bumibol and Sirikit dams are far from full enough and those are the ones that need to get filled.

can't provide a whole years water requirement in one storm,, its only the first of the year so over the season we will have to wait and see..

In the UK if it is a very dry season you can sometimes get a "hosepipe" ban basically telling you not to wash your car and water your lawn,, not sure if Thailand has ever had a water throwing ban for Songkran,, I suspect not. I suspect it is more likely the government would continue as normal to save face, never mind the consequences.

I couldn't imagine how much water is used during that festival but surely a huge amount,, huge,,,

You have got to be joking, nobody in Thailand saves rain water. My house in Queensland has 2 x 25,000 ltr tanks which fill up quickly off the roof giving enough drinking water for the year. All we have here are those stupid little 'tea pot' tanks. And no gutters to any houses. Will they ever learn.

You have got to be joking, nobody in Thailand saves rain water. My house in Queensland has 2 x 25,000 ltr tanks which fill up quickly off the roof giving enough drinking water for the year. All we have here are those stupid little 'tea pot' tanks. And no gutters to any houses. Will they ever learn.

Also no Solar water heaters neither . Thailand can save 15-20% of the electricity if they usage solar water heating systems for homes, and hotels.

Seems like you've never been "oop North"! My GF's family house collects all the rainwater from gutters into "teapot" tanks, and that is ample for their needs. The affluent city dwellers could maybe learn something from the poor rice farmers!

I disagree! I have used rainwater for drinking and domestic water here for the last 30 years. Many locals and villagers store water. It is mostly the city dwellers that don't.

No rain between October and May is the reason many dont put in bigger tanks plus the cost.

In Oz I had a 30,000 litre tank below ground but rain w spretty much all year round.

Having said that Thais have no idea about conserving water.Ever seen a Thai lady spend less than 20 minutes in the shower

No they won't, too proud. Questions is will we ever learn to let them stew in their own ...

They should just take a look at Pattaya now, problem solved.... whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

No they won't, too proud. Questions is will we ever learn to let them stew in their own ...

See Posts #10 and #11. Maybe some Thais are different to others? smile.png

dont the street vendor use rain and sewage water to wash their dishes?

can't provide a whole years water requirement in one storm,, its only the first of the year so over the season we will have to wait and see..

In the UK if it is a very dry season you can sometimes get a "hosepipe" ban basically telling you not to wash your car and water your lawn,, not sure if Thailand has ever had a water throwing ban for Songkran,, I suspect not. I suspect it is more likely the government would continue as normal to save face, never mind the consequences.

I couldn't imagine how much water is used during that festival but surely a huge amount,, huge,,,

The only reason the UK runs out of water is because the water authorities have sold off lots of reservoirs and storage facilities to their friends and families quietly and corruptly.

No rain between October and May is the reason many dont put in bigger tanks plus the cost.

In Oz I had a 30,000 litre tank below ground but rain w spretty much all year round.

Having said that Thais have no idea about conserving water.Ever seen a Thai lady spend less than 20 minutes in the shower

I'd be happy to watch them take a shower for as long as they like! There are many bars in LOS where you can do exactly that for the price of a beer and viewing is free. Well worth a bit of drought.

Indeed! If there was a storm like this every week for the rest of the year it will not be enought to replenish the dams - Next year is going to be the big crunch!

I live in KHON Kaen and I have 2 concreat water tanks filling from the roof they are roughly 25k lts each. Also a bore well.

You have got to be joking, nobody in Thailand saves rain water.

You don't get out much I take it ?

He probably doesn't. Too busy sitting in front of the keyboard indulging in some uninformed Thai bashing. Any excuse will do, this latest is a great example. Even though many many Thai people collect rainwater, that fact gets in the way of his hobby. So just ignore it. And look at all his fellow travelers 'liking' the post! Amazing!

You have got to be joking, nobody in Thailand saves rain water.

You don't get out much I take it ?

He probably doesn't. Too busy sitting in front of the keyboard indulging in some uninformed Thai bashing. Any excuse will do, this latest is a great example. Even though many many Thai people collect rainwater, that fact gets in the way of his hobby. So just ignore it. And look at all his fellow travelers 'liking' the post! Amazing!

My wife's grandfather's/uncle's/cousin's farm down in Nakhon Sri Thammarat gets most of its water from rain. I don't know their storage capacity but they have many of the larger sized pottery urns.

Common sense in Thailand??...no..they will never learn

Ha ha that time in the shower is to make sure Miaaaaw is clean for you whistling.gif

Sounds like you've only lived in places with piped water. When I was living up in Wang Nam Khiaw, in Nakhon Ratchasima province, our water was supplied by a little neighbor girl, about eight or nine years old, carrying buckets of water from a pond next to a neighbor's house. His cattle used to drink from the pond too, and piss in it while wading in it. Pretty good sized pond, though, so that was diluted a lot. We drank that water, too. The rain water was saved for visitors. That's one reason I've never worried about drinking the tap water since then.

Common sense in Thailand??...no..they will never learn

Despite the fact that the collection of rainwater is fairly common in Thailand even to the most casual observer and the numerous posts above pointing this out, the exercise in Thai bashing & nonsensical farang arrogance continues.

"...they will never learn" seems far more applicable to those who just mindlessly criticize what they obviously know nothing about. It must be a form of self-stimulation and masochistic exhibitionism rolled into one.

"Common sense in Thailand??"

I'd like to believe this comment is just a troll-like effort to stir the pot, but I fear it was intended to be taken seriously.

Edited by Suradit69