Anti-mines group marches to Akara mine in Phichit province

webfact

Anti-mines group marches to Akara
PRATCH RUJIVANAROM
THE NATION

30269033-01_big.JPG?1442528492462

Protesters fight concession plan, demand problems be addressed first

BANGKOK: -- UP TO 200 members of a group fight gold-mining concessions marched to the Akara mine in Phichit province to protest against the policy yesterday. The group is comprised of locals from 12 provinces.

The rally was held one day after a network of locals and employees of Akara Resource voiced their support for the policy on Wednesday. Yesterday's rally wrapped up peacefully with no confrontations with those supporting the Akara group.

Dr Arom Kamching, a leader of the group from Phitsanulok province, said they were not targetting Akara mine, but were protesting against mining in general because it causes pollution and they did not want new concessions to be granted while existing problems were left unsolved.

"We want to express our concerns and let the public know that granting gold-mining concessions is unjustified, as it causes deforestation, contaminates the environment and poisons locals with heavy metal and cyanide," Arom said.

She also pointed out that the real beneficiaries of the gold mines are only the mining companies, as they are allowed to take the gold out of the country and just pay Bt500 million a year as royalties.

"Local people will be the ones left carrying the burden. Their environment will be contaminated and their health will be under threat. This is not worth the job opportunities promised by the gold mine operators," she said.

She added that 18,000 signatures had already been collected by the group, and they hope to have 20,000 signatures when they submit a petition voicing opposition to mining concessions to the government next Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Surachart Mun-samai, a representative of the Akara Mine Community Network, said employees of Akara Resource and local communities supported the concessions because it will create job opportunities and bring prosperity to the locals.

"We wish to hear the gold-mining concession policy and the benefits it will provide to the locals. We are certain that the opposition side's claims of heavy-metal contamination from the mine is unfounded, and only a few locals have joined yesterday's protest. Most of the protesters are outsiders," Surachart stated.

Earlier, the Primary Industries and Mines Department had announced that an opinion survey will be conducted in Phichit province on Tuesday and in Lop Buri province today over plans to grant mining concessions in the provinces of Phichit, Phetchabun, Phitsanulok, Lop Buri, Loei, Nakhon Sawan, Saraburi, Rayong, Chanthaburi, Surat Thani, Sa Kaew and Satun. The surveys were later postponed after being criticised for being ambiguous.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Anti-mines-group-marches-to-Akara-30269033.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-18

He claim that the protesters claims of Heavy metal contamination is unfounded. He does not mention Cyanide. Which means that the cyanide contamination is not unfounded. They will take all the profit outside of the country and leave Thailand with poisoned and unusable land. When will Thailand learn to stop being used by big foreign companies for short term gain.

To my knowledge there are no refineries in thailand to take the impurities out of gold dore bars so it has to go out of the country.

As far as cyanide goes,unless you understand the process(which many thais dont)its hard to explain.There are codes and audits put in place for this.

To my knowledge there are no refineries in thailand to take the impurities out of gold dore bars so it has to go out of the country.

As far as cyanide goes,unless you understand the process(which many thais dont)its hard to explain.There are codes and audits put in place for this.

So the profit from the mining stays in Thailand? There are many reports all over the world where land has been contaminated by cyanide and poised local residents after gold mining. Thais have every right to fear the possibility of their area being contaminated.

Protesting mining in general.

As they drive down a nice highway to the protest,built from mining..

thumbsup.gif Their cars (iron/steel/aluminum etc) are built from mining. They make cars & rebar and shiny new loud motorcycles.

They like that.

Looks like they took some notes from Saddam Hussein & have a human shield as well.

Why on earth is this little guy even there, at a protest?

Why don't they protest the lout (who started that un-finished building with at least 5 year's worth of old mildew & rusty rebar sticking out the top) on it behind them?

---------------------

Reminds me of the bleeding hearts here that want all the poor, tortured, captive tourist elephants freed, and would rather let them roam the streets & highways at will, but have given not a thought as to what they'd eat nor the destruction they'd cause.

Edited by jaywalker

So the profit from the mining stays in Thailand? There are many reports all over the world where land has been contaminated by cyanide and poised local residents after gold mining. Thais have every right to fear the possibility of their area being contaminated.

Profits,it would cost in excess of 1,155,000,000 baht to start a gold mining operation here.

Royalties are paid to the government on ounces produced.

The government decides which companies get these leases whether local or local/outside combined.

Depending on where the loan was made to start the project is where the money goes.

Gold mines have to meet enviromental standards and rehabilitation is to be completed at the end of the mine life.

Unless of course its shut down by protesters which has been the case here in the past in thailand.

Profits,it would cost in excess of 1,155,000,000 baht to start a gold mining operation here.

The government decides which companies get these leases whether local or local/outside combined.

Depending on where the loan was made to start the project is where the money goes.

Gold mines have to meet enviromental standards and rehabilitation is to be completed at the end of the mine life.

Unless of course its shut down by protesters which has been the case here in the past in thailand.

Not sure where you got those figures Farmerjo, but you make sense.

# 1 Royalties paid to the guv't.........Which guv't will be in charge next week? Who knows?

# 2 Guv't decides which companies? See #1 above.

#3 Environmental standards & Thailand. That's why Pattaya Beach is so pristine.

#4 Anybody recall the MAJOR INTERNATIONAL airport being shut down by protesters?

I think I'd rather invest in a goldmine in Zimbabwe.

Thailand is an easy place for you to mine because rules are not rigorously applied. Regulations here are very lax and you will be able to make big profits. Where are the other mining operations the company has undertaken and left the countryside intact and pollution free? What is the home country of the company.

what about the Manganese and arsenic found in the blood samples of 6000 local people near your mines? This should not happen where a company has best practices

what about the Manganese and arsenic found in the blood samples of 6000 local people near your mines? This should not happen where a company has best practices

I dont have any mines.

I can say i've worked previously in the industry and their standards are higher here than the other 9 countries i've worked in.

I know a lot of thai people whom have benefitted from these mines like starting rubber tree plantations so they have income afterwards.

Villages and communities have improved their way of lives with flow on business and infrastructure.

But hey why report good luck stories out of the industry when constant negative reporting is easier to spread.

Thailand is an easy place for you to mine because rules are not rigorously applied. Regulations here are very lax and you will be able to make big profits. Where are the other mining operations the company has undertaken and left the countryside intact and pollution free? What is the home country of the company.

"Where are the other mining operations the company has undertaken and left the countryside intact and pollution free? What is the home country of the company."

"The Chatree Gold mine is located 280km north of Bangkok, in the Phichit Province. The quarry is s operated by Akara Mining Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Australian company Kingsgate Consolidated Limited."

http://www.kingsgate.com.au/

If you take the trouble to post, why not take an extra bit of effort and find the facts instead of whining.