EU gives Thailand more time to address IUU fishing problem

webfact

EU gives Thailand more time to address IUU fishing problem

9-17-2015-10-00-07-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The European Union has agreed to extend the October 31 deadline given to Thailand to address the illegal, unregulated and unreported fishing problem, government spokesman Maj-Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd said Thursday.

However, the EU has demanded that, during the period now until October 31, Thailand must take actions on three areas: to promulgate a new fishing law; to announce a fishing management plan and to mete out a national fishing plan, he added.

Thailand was slapped with a yellow card by EU for its failure to address the IUU fishing problem on April 21. It was given six months to improve the situation or face a red card which will affect Thai seafood exports to the EU.

Maj-Gen Sansern said the EU’s reprieve came after a Thai delegation went to Brussels to report to the EU of all the measures already taken and to be taken by the Thai government to address the IUU fishing problem.

As for the EU’s three-point demand, he said that, in fact, the government had already taken steps to address the issues. For instances, he explained that the fishery law has already been amended, illegal fishing gears have been banned and illegal fishing boats have been told to register properly or else they cannot fish and development of monitoring system to keep track on the fishing boats.

The spokesman said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha welcomed te EU’s latest move as a good sign that the EU has understood the Thai government’s determination to address the IUU fishing problem.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/eu-gives-thailand-more-time-to-address-iuu-fishing-problem

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-18

Shame on you EU. All talk no action.

Its good for Thailand, so good for us. I don't understand your rant.

Not really good for Thailand ...usually a delay, deferral, postponement means the bureaucrats will wait until 5 to midnight on the next deadline date and hope for another extension

Not really good for Thailand ...usually a delay, deferral, postponement means the bureaucrats will wait until 5 to midnight on the next deadline date and hope for another extension

Somchai, in case we don't get another extension better dust off the ' unfair, we are trying, foreigners don't understand Thainess ' routine.

"The spokesman said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha welcomed the EU’s latest move as a good sign that the EU has understood the Thai government’s determination to address the IUU fishing problem."

No it shows they have given extra time because they are not ready yet and are still dragging their feet.

"As for the EU’s three-point demand, he said that, in fact, the government had already taken steps to address the issues."

Apparently the EU doesn't think so by giving the Junta a time extension. But if the government choses to do no more from today on, it should not be surprised that it will not meet compliance for IUU.

I doubt the EU will give another extension if the government doesn't comply. Maybe Somkid can impress on Prayut the adverse economic consequences of a seafood ban by the EU if the government doesn't comply. Prayut just needs to "understand."

If my calendar math is right that is only an extra 10 days.

Yep, me too, are we missing something here? Is it October 31, 2016?

Anyway if the EU proceeds with the blockage (as they should in my op) we on the domestic market will enjoy export quality seafood in the restaurants. Or did anyone actually think that any of the good stuff ended up in the local restaurants?cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Tourists coming to Thailand to enjoy the famous Thai seafood would do better at home where they can actually enjoy real Thai seafood, not the leftover crap that is rejected for export.

Why is it that what's good for Thailand, always seems to be something really bad for someone else? Do you enjoy knowing slaves work on Thai boats? Are you proud of this rich cultural history? Yeah, there's a reason me no unstan thainiss.

Edited by NOC

Disgusting, decades of abuse! Should be red carded.

Do you think any blame should be apportioned to the many governments before this one.

At the very least they are trying to do something after decades of previous governments doing nothing.

I would think it's not really about the government- the poster is suggesting the fishing companies and fishermen deserve the red carding and loss of income. Sad that any government has to force these people to do the right thing.

"...EU’s latest move as a good sign that the EU has understood the Thai..."

It actually shows that the EU doesn't have a clue how Thailand (and many other Asian countries) handles issues, especially when a "Thai internal affair" is addressed by foreigners causing problems which haven't been there before from the Thai point of view.
Nonetheless, a good job by the Thai delegation convincing the bureaucrats in Brussels that "all the measures already taken" don't remain empty promises as usual.

Edited by RoboGeisha