Border Run Alternatives

7 minutes ago, thecolonel said:

Ok i appreciate I may be going off topic here but.... How straightforward is it to convert a tourist exempt entry into a retirement visa (I do qualify and have had the required funds on deposit in Thai bank for almost a year now)?

Easy and straightforward at most immigration offices.

Requirements are here to apply for the non immigrant visa entry needed to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement (it is not a visa). https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

Requirements are here to apply for the non immigrant visa entry needed to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement (it is not a visa). https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80
Thanks Joe, sadly I have run out of time to do all this AND avoid a trip to Kanchanaburi in the process, so I'll just have to do it when I get back fingers crossed! At least it might save me the 30 day renewal fee of 1900 baht but I'm sure the non O and convert to retirement isn't cheap either! thanks again

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, NeonSun said:

Can you fly to Mae sai? Is there a airport there?

If looking to fly to a border, some may be interested in knowing that Maesot airport (cheap flights) is walking distance to the border for those who enjoy stretching their legs after the flight.

Although I am pretty sure visa exempt entry at Ban Phu Nam Ron is OK right now, I seriously advise you not to rely on what immigration office and Thai consulates abroad tell you about what happens elsewhere.They are notoriously unreliable sources.

If the Thai side is not going to give you a visa exempt entry. they will not allow you to leave Thailand unless you have a Myanmar visa allowing onward travel within Myanmar. That should be irrelevant in your case, but I can assure you there is zero chance that you can become marooned on the Myanmar side because Thailand will not let you re-enter.
Thanks to all for help on this one, I went to Ban Phu Nam Ron today(Saturday) and everything went fine as before(2 years ago).

But the significant difference being that this time I only had a SETEE(Single entry tourist exempt entry) and not a multiple entry visa which was previously required to use this crossing. Cost 950 bht including mini bus transport from the border to Myanmar immigration office and back to Thai border again(took 30 mins total - incidentally I have yet to get out of the mini bus there in Myanmar office but I guess you have to go just in case of queries)

I got what I expected ie a fresh 30 day entry(extendable)

Thanks again.

• Like 2

Sorry please clarify one thing for me.... I was told I could not rent a property for say 12 months unless I had a non O visa or retirement permission. Went to hua Hin immigration today and they said I cannot even apply for non O(which I need for onward covert to retirement) WITHOUT having a rental agreement for at least 6 months!

Who is telling me the truth? It's like chicken and egg! Ie can I rent for 12 months with just a 30 day entry? Otherwise how the hell do people do this? Thanks

8 minutes ago, thecolonel said:

Sorry please clarify one thing for me.... I was told I could not rent a property for say 12 months unless I had a non O visa or retirement permission. Went to hua Hin immigration today and they said I cannot even apply for non O(which I need for onward covert to retirement) WITHOUT having a rental agreement for at least 6 months!

Who is telling me the truth? It's like chicken and egg! Ie can I rent for 12 months with just a 30 day entry? Otherwise how the hell do people do this? Thanks

As far as I know you do not need a non-o visa to do a long term rental agreement. I am sure many people have done it with only a visa exempt entry.

The 6 months to apply for the non immigrant visa appears to be a local requirement. Other offices don't have the same requirement.

Thanks, would love to hear from any folks who have done it with a 30 day?? Come on people don't be shy!

As regards the 6 month minimum remaining term on the property rental agreement, that's very interesting to hear that other provinces don't require that!

As a matter of pure interest can you quote me other examples eg Chiang Mai is 3 months etc..

Thanks

5 hours ago, thecolonel said:

Thanks, would love to hear from any folks who have done it with a 30 day?? Come on people don't be shy!

As regards the 6 month minimum remaining term on the property rental agreement, that's very interesting to hear that other provinces don't require that!

I can only talk with confidence about Bangkok. A couple of years ago, I made a one-year rental agreement for an apartment on a 60-day entry from a tourist visa. I am sure I could have done the same on a 30-day visa exempt entry. All most owners want is a suitable deposit, and a tenant that does not look like trouble. Possibly, you might have encountered an owner who worried that you intended to disappear after a short stay.

About two months ago, a friend, still staying in a hotel in Bangkok while looking foe a permanent place to stay, successfully applied for a conversion from his visa exempt entry to a Non O intending to extend for retirement.

• Like 1

Hi maybe a stupid question but i am going for my last 60 extension on a non o marraige that i got in Savannakhet , the last stamp i got at Kanchanaburi says admitted until 1/3/2017 does that mean i can go on that date and it won't be overstay or do i have to go before that date ? My reasoning is that the 1st of march is o.k. but just want to make 100% sure. 

Thanks in advance,

Kyri. 

Hi maybe a stupid question but i am going for my last 60 extension on a non o marraige that i got in Savannakhet , the last stamp i got at Kanchanaburi says admitted until 1/3/2017 does that mean i can go on that date and it won't be overstay or do i have to go before that date ? My reasoning is that the 1st of march is o.k. but just want to make 100% sure. 
Thanks in advance,
Kyri. 
Others on here are better than me but I believe it's the former

Ie 1 March is your final day that you can stay without overstaying

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Kyri said:

Thanks in advance,

Kyri. 

Yes March 1st is ok, 

But you are best advised not to leave it to the last day. You should be able to apply within the last couple of weeks. It doesn’t matter how early you apply for the extension because day 1 of the 60 day extension will be day 91 of your current permit to stay.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Johnboxer said:

Hi I am British and currently hold a 90 single entry visa, I would like to stay a further 20 days, do I have to fly out of Thailand to get the extra days?

Do you have a tourist visa that allowed 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days at an immigration office or a non immigrant visa that allows a 90 day entry? If a non immigrant visa what was the basis for it being issued?

7 minutes ago, Johnboxer said:

Hi I am British and currently hold a 90 single entry visa, I would like to stay a further 20 days, do I have to fly out of Thailand to get the extra days?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

No, if you are married, you can get a 60-day extension.

Also no, you can leave by a land border.

19 minutes ago, Johnboxer said:

If your Non O visa was based on marriage to a Thai, or having a Thai child, you can get a 60-day extension of your 90-day permission to stay at immigration on payment of 1,900 baht. Otherwise, your easiest option may be a border hop by land to get a 30-day visa exempt entry. Are you near a land border?

Thank you all but I am not married or involved family wise with a Thai, I came out with my 90 day single entry visa and need to stay 20 more days, can I add 30 more at jomptiem?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Do you have a tourist visa that allowed 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days at an immigration office or a non immigrant visa that allows a 90 day entry? If a non immigrant visa what was the basis for it being issued?

I was able to get a 90 day single entry visa due to my age and I receive a government pension

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Johnboxer said:

I was able to get a 90 day single entry visa due to my age and I receive a government pension

The only extension you can get is for one year based upon retirement if you have the required financial proof.

You only option is to leave and re-enter the country to get a 30 day visa exempt entry.

The only extension you can get is for one year based upon retirement if you have the required financial proof.
You only option is to leave and re-enter the country to get a 30 day visa exempt entry.

Thank you for your help in this matter , can I fly out and return on the same day to say Vietnam ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, Johnboxer said:

Thank you for your help in this matter , can I fly out and return on the same day to say Vietnam ?

No problem to do it on the same day. 

Since you are Pattaya you might want to check for flights from Utapao. Air Asia has flights to Kuala Lumpur.

You can also get 30 days by doing a border run.

51 minutes ago, Johnboxer said:

Thank you Ubonjoe that clears up the border run issue, I had so many people telling me border run only gives you 15 days, so

The 15 days has been incorrect since 2014 for those from G7 countries before they rescinded the 15 day rule on January 1st of last year when the 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year at land border crossings order went into effect.

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

If your Non O visa was based on marriage to a Thai, or having a Thai child, you can get a 60-day extension of your 90-day permission to stay at immigration on payment of 1,900 baht.

It doesn’t mattter what reason the non ‘O’ was issued for. A 60 day extension can be applied for to extend any permit to stay if the applicant is the spouse or parent of a Thai.

Interesting with the Myanmar border crossings where I see no mention of pre obtained Myanmar visas?

Kanchanaburi mentions a 950B 'fee' for transport and visa formalities which I assume include at least a stamp & perhaps transit/border visa page?

At mae sai is there also option of 'border visa' or needs full Myanmar (e) visa (50$)??

My main concern is visa pages in m passport as im down to last few pages already so if a full page is needed for Myanmar crossing I may need to use Malaysia instead or get new passport prior to my upcoming ME 90 days entry run.

Mae Sai would suit me well as I like to travel in the north :)

Interesting with the Myanmar border crossings where I see no mention of pre obtained Myanmar visas?
Kanchanaburi mentions a 950B 'fee' for transport and visa formalities which I assume include at least a stamp & perhaps transit/border visa page?
At mae sai is there also option of 'border visa' or needs full Myanmar (e) visa (50$)??
My main concern is visa pages in m passport as im down to last few pages already so if a full page is needed for Myanmar crossing I may need to use Malaysia instead or get new passport prior to my upcoming ME 90 days entry run.
Mae Sai would suit me well as I like to travel in the north :)
You assume correctly re fee its all inclusive of admin Thai /Myanmar and the 10 minute bus ride there and back. The Myanmar stamps take up half a page of my UK passport(if that) and there is no visa for there, it's just an in/out stamp. Done it twice its easy peasy!

Ps You can buy booze and cigarettes in Myanmar immigration area but I wouldn't have a clue if its a good deal or not, but a bunch of girls from Laos(I think) seemed really keen to buy a lot of Johnnie Walker whiskey!

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up Colonel. Half a page worth of stamps would be quite okay :)
I might like that crossing as it seems very quiet & local & I wouldn't mind a peek into the mountain village although the trip out there might be less inspiring than my faved north. Have a nice day