Border Run Alternatives

On 8/3/2017 at 2:02 PM, elviajero said:
On 8/3/2017 at 1:34 PM, bogus1965 said:

What's the latest at the Ban Phu Nam Ron Border crossings, for 90 day out/in on non-O based on marriage visa?

Currently ok the do a out/in with a ME non 'O'.

Just went there yesterday for the same thing. All OK. However it was my 2nd time this year. Am I going to be able to do it one more time? Are there any restrictions for numbers of land border runs on non-o visa per year?

On 8/20/2017 at 0:08 AM, aoneseller said:

Just went there yesterday for the same thing. All OK. However it was my 2nd time this year. Am I going to be able to do it one more time? Are there any restrictions for numbers of land border runs on non-o visa per year?

There is no official limit and the third should be no problem at that crossing. They have temporarily closed that border to "border runs" in the past so it's worth checking again just before the next trip.

On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 2:11 AM, ubonjoe said:

If you want to get a new visa Savannakhet is the best location to get one.

If asking about getting a new 90 day entry from a multiple entry non-o visa by doing a border crossing the Ban Phu Nam Ron in Kanchanaburi province is the nearest to Bangkok. You pay a total about 950 baht for transport across no man's land and the border pass for Myanmar.

After there the Ban Laem crossing to Cambodia is the next choice.

Thank you ubonjoe.

I am planning to travel south this weekend to Surat Thani. I see route 4 goes quite close to the border particularly near Prachuap Kiri Khan. Are there any border crossings that you can recommend where I can renew a multiple O on this route?

11 minutes ago, TheLobster said:

I am planning to travel south this weekend to Surat Thani. I see route 4 goes quite close to the border particularly near Prachuap Kiri Khan. Are there any border crossings that you can recommend where I can renew a multiple O on this route?

There is no crossing that you can use going in that direction.

The nearest crossing to Surat Thani is the crossing to Myanmar at Ranong.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My TR Visa is about to expire and I just want to know what the cheapest and quickest way I can get a new TR Visa besides going to Vientiene again.  I've already went there twice, and the Laos Visa takes up the full page in my passport.  I only have 1 last page left reserved for my new TR visa.  I am thinking about border runs with Bus but also thinking about going to Hong Kong because they won't stamp my passport, and if I leave on Monday, I will go to Embassy on Tuesday, Pick up on Wednesday and fly back to Bangkok that night so 3 day trip, but cost for everything there is a lot more expensive (Food and hotel). What are my other options? 

On 9/6/2017 at 1:58 AM, acenase said:

My TR Visa is about to expire and I just want to know what the cheapest and quickest way I can get a new TR Visa besides going to Vientiene again.  I've already went there twice, and the Laos Visa takes up the full page in my passport.  I only have 1 last page left reserved for my new TR visa.  I am thinking about border runs with Bus but also thinking about going to Hong Kong because they won't stamp my passport, and if I leave on Monday, I will go to Embassy on Tuesday, Pick up on Wednesday and fly back to Bangkok that night so 3 day trip, but cost for everything there is a lot more expensive (Food and hotel). What are my other options? 

I know my reply outdated, but how about flying to Yangon, Myanmar with an e-visa? There is Thai embassy and e-visa will not effect loosing passport pages. 

But in order to get an education visa I would need to be enrolled in school and having then sponsor me. I'm not currently enrolled in a school. I have been getting single entry tourist visa from vientiane. how much would the cheapest way to go the E-Visa route and paying for school? It may be a bit out of my budget.  I saw that I could get a 1 Year stay if I sign up for Muay Thai class but the package for that to give me TR Visa a 1 year extension would be 38,000 Baht which includes 1 year extension but 72 x 2 hour Muay thai classes

59 minutes ago, acenase said:

But in order to get an education visa I would need to be enrolled in school and having then sponsor me. I'm not currently enrolled in a school. I have been getting single entry tourist visa from vientiane. how much would the cheapest way to go the E-Visa route and paying for school? It may be a bit out of my budget.  I saw that I could get a 1 Year stay if I sign up for Muay Thai class but the package for that to give me TR Visa a 1 year extension would be 38,000 Baht which includes 1 year extension but 72 x 2 hour Muay thai classes

That option would give you a 90-day ED visa (not a TR visa), which could be extended every 3 months thereafter.  That cost is also about right for a language-school; figure in the extension-costs and/or 'extra fees' to get the extensions without hassle (depending on which immi-office and school you use). 

You could just get a SETV in Penang, though.

Helllo,

I am 26 years old from Australia. I have been coming to Thailand for 6 years now, at first, it was on and off every 6 months but now I am staying longer each time.

I have taken a year off and have been using Thailand as my base to travel around SE asia. since October 2016. Since then I have had 2 SETV and the rest have been visa exempt entries. Every time I have gone to another country for 5-10 days and then came back. The last 2 times I have just flown out and back in the next day.. Just last night at Phuket airport I was questioned by the IO. I went to Singapore for 1 night and came back..

He said I left Thailand today and came back on the same day. But he got the dates wrong. After that, he asked how long I am staying in Thailand this time. I said 2 weeks. After that, he sat there for about 2-3 minutes saying nothing(there was a big line behind me). I felt as if he was about to deny me entry or take me somewhere for questioning. But after a few minutes, he stamped and let me through. This is the first time I have ever been asked anything and I think if I went to a different IO they may have said nothing.

Anyway, I am going back to Aus on the 13th of December, So I am flying to Burma at the end of this month, staying for 6 days and then coming back and getting a visa-exempt for the last time before going back to AUS.

I am a little concerned as I will be arriving in Bangkok (don meuang) after Burma, and after last nights questions, I am wondering what they will say next time. 

Does anyone have any advice or experience with what my options are? I am going to make sure I have 10k baht and proof of my flight back to Aus at the end of the year.

2 hours ago, Mickster58 said:

Helllo,

I am 26 years old from Australia. I have been coming to Thailand for 6 years now, at first, it was on and off every 6 months but now I am staying longer each time.

I have taken a year off and have been using Thailand as my base to travel around SE asia. since October 2016. Since then I have had 2 SETV and the rest have been visa exempt entries. Every time I have gone to another country for 5-10 days and then came back. The last 2 times I have just flown out and back in the next day.. Just last night at Phuket airport I was questioned by the IO. I went to Singapore for 1 night and came back..

He said I left Thailand today and came back on the same day. But he got the dates wrong. After that, he asked how long I am staying in Thailand this time. I said 2 weeks. After that, he sat there for about 2-3 minutes saying nothing(there was a big line behind me). I felt as if he was about to deny me entry or take me somewhere for questioning. But after a few minutes, he stamped and let me through. This is the first time I have ever been asked anything and I think if I went to a different IO they may have said nothing.

Anyway, I am going back to Aus on the 13th of December, So I am flying to Burma at the end of this month, staying for 6 days and then coming back and getting a visa-exempt for the last time before going back to AUS.

I am a little concerned as I will be arriving in Bangkok (don meuang) after Burma, and after last nights questions, I am wondering what they will say next time. 

Does anyone have any advice or experience with what my options are? I am going to make sure I have 10k baht and proof of my flight back to Aus at the end of the year.

You have been identified as a "longer staying farang" and should expect bad-treatment at airport-immigration from here on.  Some with longer-stay histories have been interrogated even after being out of Thailand for several months.  IOs in Airports have denied entry to people for stated reasons relating to time-in-Thailand, which do not conform with Thai Immigration-Law (though they wrote a different reason in the passport, to cover their tracks). 

The best solution is to use land-borders (except Poipet/Aranyaprathet), and come in on a Tourist Visa.  At land-borders, Thai Immigration Law is followed, and you will have no problem, if you have the required cash to show (and most borders, will not even need that).

If flying in, at least have a Tourist Visa plus 20K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks.  You could get a Tourist Visa at the Thai Consulate in Myanmar (Burma) while there. 

If you choose to try another Visa-Exempt entry, which is the easiest for an IO to deny, and through airport-immigration, be sure you have a flight out Within 30 Days to show, plus the money (I'd bring 20K, even though technically 10K is acceptable for a Visa-Exempt entry).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

You have been identified as a "longer staying farang" and should expect bad-treatment at airport-immigration from here on.  Some with longer-stay histories have been interrogated even after being out of Thailand for several months.  IOs in Airports have denied entry to people for stated reasons relating to time-in-Thailand, which do not conform with Thai Immigration-Law (though they wrote a different reason in the passport, to cover their tracks). 

The best solution is to use land-borders (except Poipet/Aranyaprathet), and come in on a Tourist Visa.  At land-borders, Thai Immigration Law is followed, and you will have no problem, if you have the required cash to show (and most borders, will not even need that).

If flying in, at least have a Tourist Visa plus 20K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks.  You could get a Tourist Visa at the Thai Consulate in Myanmar (Burma) while there. 

If you choose to try another Visa-Exempt entry, which is the easiest for an IO to deny, and through airport-immigration, be sure you have a flight out Within 30 Days to show, plus the money (I'd bring 20K, even though technically 10K is acceptable for a Visa-Exempt entry).

Thanks for the info their mate. Coming overland from Yangon is quite the distance so I think I will take the option of flying in(as i have a flight booked already) getting a tourist visa and having 20kbaht and my flight back to aus, to show if asked.

One question, if I was to be denied entry what would the process be? Would it be very serious and could land me in prison. Or would it just simply be me being held at the airport and having to pay for a flight out of the country.

12 minutes ago, Mickster58 said:

Thanks for the info their mate. Coming overland from Yangon is quite the distance so I think I will take the option of flying in(as i have a flight booked already) getting a tourist visa and having 20kbaht and my flight back to aus, to show if asked.

One question, if I was to be denied entry what would the process be? Would it be very serious and could land me in prison. Or would it just simply be me being held at the airport and having to pay for a flight out of the country.

I wouldn't want to bus it from Yangon either (why I didn't go there when I was using frequent Tourist Visas).  

No prison for refusal of entry - you have not broken any Thai laws.  The only "punishment" is detention while waiting for your flight out.

Normally, if denied, you are sent back where you came from.  As you would not have a Visa to re-enter Myanmar (cannot do VOA) - not sure how that would go, as I haven't seen a case reported here.  Maybe they just cancel your exit-stamp, as they do if refused entry at a land-border (rare, but has happened).  Worst-case, you'd have to buy a ticket to fly back to your passport-country. 

But if flying in with a Tourist Visa, some time out-of-country, 20K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks, and proof of a flight out within 60-days (since you have a Tourist-Visa good for 60-days), I think it is highly unlikely you would be denied-entry.  

Show your cash "helpfully" at the start of any questioning (which may not even happen).  You could double-down with a bank-statement showing even more money to prove no need to work, though that is not a substitute for the 20K worth of cash - just another bit to throw in if interrogated.  Also, bring proof of where you will be staying in Thailand - hotel-booking, etc.  And, above all, be polite the entire time - even if they are outright rude and insulting.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mickster58 said:

No prison. Perhaps a few hours in immigration detention until your flight out of the country leaves.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I wouldn't want to bus it from Yangon either (why I didn't go there when I was using frequent Tourist Visas).  

No prison for refusal of entry - you have not broken any Thai laws.  The only "punishment" is detention while waiting for your flight out.

Normally, if denied, you are sent back where you came from.  As you would not have a Visa to re-enter Myanmar (cannot do VOA) - not sure how that would go, as I haven't seen a case reported here.  Maybe they just cancel your exit-stamp, as they do if refused entry at a land-border (rare, but has happened).  Worst-case, you'd have to buy a ticket to fly back to your passport-country. 

But if flying in with a Tourist Visa, some time out-of-country, 20K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks, and proof of a flight out within 60-days (since you have a Tourist-Visa good for 60-days), I think it is highly unlikely you would be denied-entry.  

Show your cash "helpfully" at the start of any questioning (which may not even happen).  You could double-down with a bank-statement showing even more money to prove no need to work, though that is not a substitute for the 20K worth of cash - just another bit to throw in if interrogated.  Also, bring proof of where you will be staying in Thailand - hotel-booking, etc.  And, above all, be polite the entire time - even if they are outright rude and insulting.

As it seems the days I am in Yangon, the embassy is closed on the 23rd of October then again the 26th. Which does not help this situation at all.

Do you think it is a good idea to spend the money and change my flights to match opening days of the Thai embassy in Yangon. Or just risk another visa exempt entry and carry the cash and proof of a flight out(which is 45 days out from my entry date, do they take extension into consideration?). 

Also when I go to extend my current exempt stamp the Phuket/patong immigration in 25 days, do you think they will question me there?

On 12/9/2560 at 9:16 PM, aoneseller said:

I know my reply outdated, but how about flying to Yangon, Myanmar with an e-visa? There is Thai embassy and e-visa will not effect loosing passport pages. 

You can do the same - e.visa with Cambodia too and more fun there in Phnom Penh I thonk then in Myanmar and can use Agent service. 

On 6/9/2560 at 1:58 AM, acenase said:

the Laos Visa takes up the full page in my passport.  I only have 1 last page left reserved for my new TR visa.   What are my other options? 

Edited by ALFREDO

29 minutes ago, Mickster58 said:

As it seems the days I am in Yangon, the embassy is closed on the 23rd of October then again the 26th. Which does not help this situation at all.

Do you think it is a good idea to spend the money and change my flights to match opening days of the Thai embassy in Yangon. Or just risk another visa exempt entry and carry the cash and proof of a flight out(which is 45 days out from my entry date, do they take extension into consideration?). 

Also when I go to extend my current exempt stamp the Phuket/patong immigration in 25 days, do you think they will question me there?

Extension problems are very rare - almost always done routinely without issue. 
I would not risk it with the exempt and even less with a flight not within 30-days.  Also, the airline could refuse you boarding without a visa, due to not having a flight out within 30-days. 

So, yes - I'd change the dates and get a Tourist Visa in Myanmar - would need to buy a throwaway-ticket (within 30-days) to try to make the riskier exempt plan work, in any case.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mickster58 said:

Change your flight date or change to Cambodia Phnom Penh Agent Visa service there easy available 

Should not be a problem in Phuket Immigration. Maybe look to have money 20.000? with you, should they ask. 

5 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

So, yes - I'd change the dates and get a Tourist Visa in Myanmar - would need to buy a throwaway-ticket (within 30-days) to try to make the riskier exempt plan work, in any case.

I think -Mickster58- has a Ticket to Australia? But maybe not with a date in these 30 days period. :wink:

Just now, ALFREDO said:

Change your flight date or change to Cambodia Phnom Penh Agent Visa service there easy available 

Should not be a problem in Phuket Immigration. Maybe look to have money 20.000? with you, should they ask. 

I think -Mickster58- has a Ticket to Australia? But maybe not with a date in these 30 days period. :wink:

I have a flight out of Thailand about 45 days out from my entry date when I get back from Myanmar.

10 minutes ago, Mickster58 said:

I have a flight out of Thailand about 45 days out from my entry date when I get back from Myanmar.

I do not know - if Thai Immigration consider the Extension of stay +30 days and accept that 45 day period,

normally no big problem,

but you are now a -special long and often comer and stayer- :wink:  

or if the Airline you booked on accept that when check in - better would be to check in Online and try not to come to the Counter if that is doable, :tongue:

How many Visa exempt entries you have now on Land borders and on airport arrivals in this Thailand holiday

since a year ago and in this year?

Anyway - I believe a Visa is the better choice :thumbsup:

Also I always would prefer to go to Cambodia - then Myanmar. :wink:

Edited by ALFREDO

Just now, ALFREDO said:

I do not know - if Thai Immigration consider the Extension of stay +30 days and accept that 45 day period,

normally no big problem,

but you are now a -special long and often comer and stayer- :wink:  

or if the Airline you booked on accept that when check in - better would be to check in Online and try not to come to the Counter if that is doable, :tongue:

How many Visa exempt entries you ave now on Land borders and on airport arrivals in this Thailand holiday

since a year ago and in this year?

Anyway - I believe a Visa is the better choice :thumbsup:

I have never crossed over land. Since October 2016(when I arrived) I have used 2 SETVs and 4 visa exempts. Before that, I was in Aus for 6 months. I have been coming to Thailand on and off for 5 years though, So I have quite a few exempt stamps from over the years.

Also last night the IO didn't ask to see proof of funds or a flight out or anything... so maybe it is not as bad as I think. It was pretty light questioning, but he seemed like he wanted to do more but was almost too lazy.

1 hour ago, Mickster58 said:

Also, I kinda planned on coming back to Thailand after Christmas in Aus, but it looks like I may have to stay home for a while :(

If you get a TR Visa in Austrailia, fly to Penang (or get a TR in Penang), then train-in via Pedang Besar - no problem.  Just show the money.  Then fly from Hat Yai domestic to your final destination.  Anywhere but airports you will be fine by simply following the actual laws/rules.

If you do come back after Christmas, the Thai People you buy goods and services from will be delighted to have your business.  It's just a clique of IOs at Airports and Poipet/Aranya that don't like us.

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

If you get a TR Visa in Austrailia, fly to Penang (or get a TR in Penang), then train-in via Pedang Besar - no problem.  Just show the money.  Then fly from Hat Yai domestic to your final destination.  Anywhere but airports you will be fine by simply following the actual laws/rules.

If you do come back after Christmas, the Thai People you buy goods and services from will be delighted to have your business.  It's just a clique of IOs at Airports and Poipet/Aranya that don't like us.

Indeed, so, all in all, it really comes down to the specific IO to do something about it? Meaning some don't give a <deleted> and others do. Because I would assume my name has a red flag already when I passed through the last couple of times, considering my number of visa-exempt stamps.

Edited by Mickster58
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mickster58 said:

You should be able to apply on the morning of October 24th and pick up the visa on the afternoon of the 25th, or am I misunderstanding the dates of your intended visit to Yangon?