Border Run Alternatives

Guys, if i would be picking up my passport from the Thai consulate  on Vientiane on Monday. Would i have time to reach Udon thani at 18:00 (17:00) for a flight to Chiang Mai? Or should i change it? I have the sensation its quite a strech...

7 minutes ago, Eterno said:

Guys, if i would be picking up my passport from the Thai consulate  on Vientiane on Monday. Would i have time to reach Udon thani at 18:00 (17:00) for a flight to Chiang Mai? Or should i change it? I have the sensation its quite a strech...

Yes you could make it on a Monday since there would not be many people picking up their passports on that day. Not many people apply on Friday and pickup on Monday.

i am a bit confused. Cause i read that the trip would take 2h 1/2 and some people say 3h and even 3h 1/2. Also it worries me the queue number that they give you the day you leave your passport, as i read theu give out the passports to pick up by that order. Also if i am lucky i could get the 14:00 bus and if not the 15:00 and that way i think i eould be scrued. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, Eterno said:

i am a bit confused. Cause i read that the trip would take 2h 1/2 and some people say 3h and even 3h 1/2. Also it worries me the queue number that they give you the day you leave your passport, as i read theu give out the passports to pick up by that order. Also if i am lucky i could get the 14:00 bus and if not the 15:00 and that way i think i eould be scrued. Thanks.

On a Monday I would guess that there will very few people picking up their passports. Also on a Friday you your number would be low since not many people would be applying.

I did not factor in you taking the direct bus to Udon form Vientiane.

You can cross the bridge and get a van that would take you direct to the airport. Less than 2 hours that way.

I am going to Vientiane for a SETV next month.. my passport is getting pretty full is has 5 pages left.

When I was in Hong Kong the consulate official looked through all my exempt stamps and two tourists visas that I have used in the last 2 years and they decided not to give me a visa.

So I am now wondering should I:

1. Go to Vientiane with my current passport and hope for the best. I hear Vientiane is pretty good with giving visas. I only have two tourist visas in the 2 years the rest are exempt entires land/air... i would like to do this to use up my current pport 
  2. Get a new passport before heading out again so the consulate official cannot see all my previous entries(expensive - 10000 baht ?)

Cheers!

Edited by Mickster58

7 minutes ago, Mickster58 said:

1. Go to Vientiane with my current passport and hope for the best. I hear Vientiane is pretty good with giving visas. I only have two tourist visas in the 2 years the rest are exempt entires land/air... i would like to do this to use up my current pport 
  2. Get a new passport before heading out again so the consulate official cannot see all my previous entries(expensive - 10000 baht ?)

1. They only count visas they have issued. Your past ones and visa exempt entries will be considered. You should not have a problem getting a visa.

2. Not needed until your run out of pages which will be soon. Two pages will used for the Laos visa on arrival and the tourist visa in Vientiane. So only 3 pages will be left.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

1. They only count visas they have issued. Your past ones and visa exempt entries will be considered. You should not have a problem getting a visa.

2. Not needed until your run out of pages which will be soon. Two pages will used for the Laos visa on arrival and the tourist visa in Vientiane. So only 3 pages will be left.

dont forget exit stamp  for thailand, entry/,exit stamp for laos, entry stamp for thailand

While we talk about Laos. Any one from the 2018 Visa exemption countries here who have crossed the border and got a stamp from Laos instead of a visa? Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Luxembourg, Switzerland, S.Korean and Japan are all exempt for 15 days from visas until 31 December 2018 in an effort to boost tourism. However, I have yet to hear from anyone who has crossed any of the land borders and got this. Do they give a free visa or will it just be a stamp in the passport?
Should I just walk pass the Visa on Arrival boot and proceed to the immigration?

Edited by banglassie

7 hours ago, banglassie said:

While we talk about Laos. Any one from the 2018 Visa exemption countries here who have crossed the border and got a stamp from Laos instead of a visa? Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Luxembourg, Switzerland, S.Korean and Japan are all exempt for 15 days from visas until 31 December 2018 in an effort to boost tourism. However, I have yet to hear from anyone who has crossed any of the land borders and got this. Do they give a free visa or will it just be a stamp in the passport?
Should I just walk pass the Visa on Arrival boot and proceed to the immigration?

I am sure many people from the countries allowed a visa exempt entry have gotten them without a problem.

People from some of the countries you mentioned get a 30 day visa exempt entry. See: https://www.laos-guide-999.com/visa-exemption.html

You go directly to immigration and you will get a entry stamp with the allowed number of days stamped on it.

• Like 2

I'm going to Thailand on a tourist visa, then going to get a retirement visa. (That's what I call it) What is all the posts about border runs about? Soon to be a newby gets more confused every day. I thought all I have to do is arrive, get an agent to take care of the rest. I've got the funds for the retirement requirements,ie over 30K  P.A. Can anybody recommend an agent in Rawai? Cheers .

2 minutes ago, cleverman said:

I'm going to Thailand on a tourist visa, then going to get a retirement visa. (That's what I call it) What is all the posts about border runs about? Soon to be a newby gets more confused every day. I thought all I have to do is arrive, get an agent to take care of the rest. I've got the funds for the retirement requirements,ie over 30K  P.A. Can anybody recommend an agent in Rawai? Cheers .

It is mostly people that don't qualify for long stay visas or extension of stay that do the border and visa runs.

You don't need an agent to do apply for change of visa status to get a non immigrant visa entry and then an extension of stay based upon retirement. You can do it yourself.

General requirements for the change of visa status is here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

After you get the 90 day entry from the change you would apply for the extension during the last 30 days of the entry. Requirements are here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22

If you can meet the 65k baht per month income requirement you would need a income document from your embassy. No need for money in a bank if you do that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I am sure many people from the countries allowed a visa exempt entry have gotten them without a problem.

People from some of the countries you mentioned get a 30 day visa exempt entry. See: https://www.laos-guide-999.com/visa-exemption.html

You go directly to immigration and you will get a entry stamp with the allowed number of days stamped on it.

Joe i am actually in Laos now. Yesterday i went to get my tourist visa and the guy at the window asked me fro my financial statement Is this normal from now or he was was not knowing what he was doing? The guy behind me was in the same boat he said to me later he has been never asked for financial statement for tourist visa.Anyway he let me of the hook because how was i supposed to know i needed that Strange sometimes Non-Immigrant O yes but not tourist i feel

7 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Joe i am actually in Laos now. Yesterday i went to get my tourist visa and the guy at the window asked me fro my financial statement Is this normal from now or he was was not knowing what he was doing?

Where did you apply for the visa?

Savannakhet has been asking for financial proof and tickets for some time now.

25 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Joe i am actually in Laos now. Yesterday i went to get my tourist visa and the guy at the window asked me fro my financial statement Is this normal from now or he was was not knowing what he was doing? The guy behind me was in the same boat he said to me later he has been never asked for financial statement for tourist visa.Anyway he let me of the hook because how was i supposed to know i needed that Strange sometimes Non-Immigrant O yes but not tourist i feel

Was this in Savannakhet or Vientiane?

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Where did you apply for the visa?

Savannakhet has been asking for financial proof and tickets for some time now.

For Savannakhet, Is that only regarding Tourist visas, or Non-Imm O based on marriage as well?

1 minute ago, banglassie said:

For Savannakhet, Is that only regarding Tourist visas, or Non-Imm O based on marriage as well?

Only for tourist visas. No changes for getting the non-o visa.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cleverman said:

Thai consul ,Perth Australia, assured me today that I will not a ticket out of Los when Imarrive on a 60 day tourist visa as I intend to get a retirement visa, I can prove ample funds. Anybody disagree?

Although you may need to show a ticket out, before they let you board the plane

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cleverman said:

Thai consul ,Perth Australia, assured me today that I will not a ticket out of Los when Imarrive on a 60 day tourist visa as I intend to get a retirement visa, I can prove ample funds. Anybody disagree?

Should not is the correct advice. Immigration can ask to see an onward flight for any tourists entering the country, but it’s usual practice that they don’t.

They only usually ask to see a ticket if they are looking to deny entry, and there’s no reason why they would do so in your case assuming you don’t have a long history of recent back to back tourist visits.

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

Should not is the correct advice. Immigration can ask to see an onward flight for any tourists entering the country, but it’s usual practice that they don’t.

They only usually ask to see a ticket if they are looking to deny entry, and there’s no reason why they would do so in your case assuming you don’t have a long history of recent back to back tourist visits.

No back to back tourist visa history.thanks.

7 hours ago, banglassie said:

Savannakhet Joe I applied for a tourist visa Well that is a new one on me First time i have been asked that I did not bring it with me but i guess i know to next time Might as well go for a non immigrant O visa then

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Only for tourist visas. No changes for getting the non-o visa.

that is a new one Joe  I did not have my Finance Record on me  No prob just caught me off guard It was Savanna ket

Some friends have recommended next time i should go overland with a tour group: you pay more than you'd normally do but the companies make sure you get there and back with no problems. On my last trip i noticed a lot of Philipinos with tour comps. This is just what i've been told. I really don't like those hair-raising 10 - 15 hour mini-bus journeys but it might be worth it if it avoids the problems a lot of people seem to be getting.

8 minutes ago, hoyism said:

Some friends have recommended next time i should go overland with a tour group: you pay more than you'd normally do but the companies make sure you get there and back with no problems. On my last trip i noticed a lot of Philipinos with tour comps. This is just what i've been told. I really don't like those hair-raising 10 - 15 hour mini-bus journeys but it might be worth it if it avoids the problems a lot of people seem to be getting.

It depends upon where you are applying for the visa.

At Vientiane if you don't have a lot of visas you will not have a problem. A good way to do the Vientiane run is flying domestic to Udon Thani and taking a van to the bridge in Nong Khai from the airport there. Then the reverse for the return trip.

There are no organized runs to Savannakhet.

If Penang Malaysia you can also fly to there  or make the trip overland yourself and use an agent to do it for you.

On 7/28/2018 at 9:04 AM, ubonjoe said:

It depends upon where you are applying for the visa.

At Vientiane if you don't have a lot of visas you will not have a problem. A good way to do the Vientiane run is flying domestic to Udon Thani and taking a van to the bridge in Nong Khai from the airport there. Then the reverse for the return trip

I had no problems getting the visa in Vientiane, the problems happened going through Bkk International Airport passport control. I have had heard similar reports from people going through Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang. It seems flying into Bkk is now a no-no if you have previous stamps on your passport. 

Edited by hoyism

4 minutes ago, hoyism said:

It seems flying into Bkk is now a no-no if you have previous stamps on your passport.

That is one of the reasons I suggested flying domestic to Udon Thani. That way you enter and depart at the bridge in Nong Khai.

You could also fly from BKK or DMK to Vientiane and enter via the bridge and fly back from Udon.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

That is one of the reasons I suggested flying domestic to Udon Thani. That way you enter and depart at the bridge in Nong Khai.

You could also fly from BKK or DMK to Vientiane and enter via the bridge and fly back from Udon.

Thanks Joe

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Why are they making it a  problem flying into Bangkok if you have to many stamps You are flying to another country are u not? Also Joe when u go for a non-immigrant visa O class in Vientiane for 3 months how much money do you need in the bank I know its 400,000 if you are married for 1 year but for 3 months i am not sure and just say i did fly domestic to Ubon Thani and crossed into Laos via bridge would the embassy in Vientiane  accept that as flight or class it as a land border crossing given the fact you are only allowed 2 land border  crossings  per year to renew your visa