Mario and Mai star in film to raise awareness of human trafficking

webfact

Mario and Mai star in film to raise awareness of human trafficking
By Coconuts Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Two famous actors, Mario Maurer and Davika “Mai” Hoorne, star in a short film made by the International Organisation Migration (IOM) to bring the issue of modern slavery in the fishing industry to a young audience.

The movie “Prisana,” which was released this week, shows how unsuspecting men are tricked into working on fishing boats under extremely harsh conditions.

Mario, a young photographer, is onto a big story - human trafficking in Thailand's fishing industry - but soon finds himself drawn into a much more personal drama when he decides to help a desperate migrant woman find her missing husband.

Mario's commitment to finding the man, who has been trafficked onto a fishing boat, causes friction with his girlfriend Mai, who wants Mario to spend more time with her.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/09/18/mario-and-mai-star-film-raise-awareness-human-trafficking

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-09-18

Like any cheesey lakhawn, I couldn't really sit through it. I scene-skipped. Above all, though, I think we have to commend the filmmakers for attempting to recognize the slavery problem in the fishing industry.

I've seen lots of independent Thai films that do a great job of using "real" people and representing a non-glamorous strata of Thai society. It's always refreshing to see those instead of pasty white plastic surgery actors pretending to cry.

I mean to say that this short-film was very lakhawn-like and nothing like the more realistic portrayals of Thai society that I have seen by other Thai independent filmmakers, but at least there is some mention of the slavery problem, however clearly hi-so and plastic-surgeried up the actors are.

In spite of the effort to raise awareness, this film would make very little impact outside Thailand, merely because of the bad acting, casting and directing. <deleted> has a rockband to do with this? In the light of the real world and suffering this film does not do justice to real people.