Thai FDA License Required for Export Products?

rakshell

I found this on the TFDA website:

http://www.fda.moph.go.th/eng/food/pre.stm

"If a food product, either manufactured or imported, is categorized as the specially-controlled food, it must be registered. An analysis of the product as well as details of the process and ingredients are required for the registration process. Furthermore, the standard of these food products has to meet the standards specified in the Ministerial Notifications."

However there is no mention of EXPORT only requiring this regulation.

Edited by rakshell

I see two problems;

1) how do you convince Thai FDA that you only export? That would mean a customs bonded warehouse/factory. Possible and been done for some goods, but that would require a very large investment.

2) why would a foreign customs authority let your goods pass, if there is not even a registration done at source. That would mean importer would need to do this in a customs bonded environment again, before it would be allowed in the country.

No saying it is not possible, but I do foresee some issues with it. Getting Thai FDA registration is probably the easiest, quickens and cheapest.

Thank you. That makes a lot of sense.

One more question:

As I understand it, the packaging also need to be submitted and approved. After approval, the packaging will require the Thai FDA license number on it.

How do people manage to print large numbers of packaging with this 'chicken or the egg' situation?

(i.e. You need the packaging approval to get the TFDA license, but you need the TFDA license number for printing mass production of packaging).

Thank you for any help. This is all new to me and I really appreciate any advice here.

• 3 weeks later...

Thai FDA approval is needed to sell domestically. I haven't heard that it is needed for export but if the factory is not already exporting and not selling locally who are their customers? We change packaging to comply with US requirements and use factories to export directly.

Thank you. That makes a lot of sense.

One more question:

As I understand it, the packaging also need to be submitted and approved. After approval, the packaging will require the Thai FDA license number on it.

How do people manage to print large numbers of packaging with this 'chicken or the egg' situation?

(i.e. You need the packaging approval to get the TFDA license, but you need the TFDA license number for printing mass production of packaging).

Thank you for any help. This is all new to me and I really appreciate any advice here.

You submit a sample and you do not commit to high volume purchases until the sample is approved.

What would you do if the submitted packaging wasn't accepted?

• 2 weeks later...