'Defrauded by my wife and criminals in Thailand' - BBC special report

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is very true, but a less obvious point is don't marry someone who is no where near your level in terms of education & intelligence.

Huh? I never got past high school but some of my ex partners have been university educated. How do I get on the winning team? Me no understand.

Let me rephrase, "don't marry someone who is LOWER than your level in terms of education & intelligence."

In your case you always win!

Let me rephrase, "don't marry" period. thumbsup.gif

During my bachelor years here, I had many dates lasting just few minutes, the time enough to tell them that I was not planning in buy anything, even a brand new car, for my self or anybody else, or planning in travel the world soon.

off topic,

And I always told them I was gonna buy them a house and car ........ banged every one of them that night.

Who's a silly billy then?

And every one still wanted 1000 baht in the morning ?laugh.png

the story does not add up

something is missing

the wife did not benefit

why did she do it for no monetary return?

so she went to jail for nothing?

Perhaps she received nothing because it was already "pawned away" for quite some time. Paper was "held" for a debt that was not payed?

or maybe, she has 75% of the stolen money hidden away somewhere ....... ready to finance her future when she gets out.

I seriously doubt she was that shrewd...

https://www.google.com/search?q=patsy+definition&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

pat·sy

noun: patsy; plural noun: patsies

• a person who is easily taken advantage of, especially by being cheated or blamed for something.

A fraud of this magnitude (and value) requires careful planning. It is organised crime of the first degree. No doubt Ian's wife was approached (and perhaps even conditioned or threatened) into cooperating with the criminals. They already knew that she could easily be offered up as the Patsy because she is a dark skinned farmer's daughter with no patronage connections. Ian has been defrauded, but there is little doubt in my mind that his wife was also a Patsy. And so she, in a way, was also defrauded, or at best betrayed. The Thais that lured her into cooperating have no doubt done this in the past and will no doubt continue to do the same in the future...each time further refining their technique and the story of promised riches told to the young and uneducated wife.

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn

No doubt Ian's wife was approached (and perhaps even conditioned or threatened) into cooperating with the criminals.

Looking at the wedding photo, I would say she was in it from the start.

Married him with the intention of fleecing him.

Might have been her mums or dads or a gangsters idea.

But clearly it was the intention all along ....... why else would a slim 20 year old .... etc, etc.

Look at him, look at her.

Everyone can see what's gonna happen ........ except him.

Question from interviewer, "What would you say to people that want to come here?"

Answer from me, "Don't marry a woman 1/3 your weight and 1/2 your age and expect her to love you or be trustworthy"

This isn't rocket science.

But that goes for almost anywhere: Thailand, Russia, Czech Republic, Brazil, Nigeria, etc.

No doubt Ian's wife was approached (and perhaps even conditioned or threatened) into cooperating with the criminals.

But clearly it was the intention all along ....... why else would a slim 20 year old .... etc, etc.

That's exaggerating a bit , don't you think ?

Perhaps she was just happy, at the beginning , to improve her quality of life.

In my experience, Thai girls, and not necessarily bar girls, have to face some pressure from relatives and friends when they catch a " rich " foreigner.

Personally, i've had a couple of relationships failed over the years for that reason , and they were not dirt poor, uneducated women.

something is missing

the wife did not benefit

Perhaps she received nothing because it was already "pawned away" for quite some time. Paper was "held" for a debt that was not payed?

or maybe, she has 75% of the stolen money hidden away somewhere ....... ready to finance her future when she gets out.

pat·sy

• a person who is easily taken advantage of, especially by being cheated or blamed for something.

A fraud of this magnitude (and value) requires careful planning. It is organised crime of the first degree. No doubt Ian's wife was approached (and perhaps even conditioned or threatened) into cooperating with the criminals. They already knew that she could easily be offered up as the Patsy because she is a dark skinned farmer's daughter with no patronage connections. Ian has been defrauded, but there is little doubt in my mind that his wife was also a Patsy. And so she, in a way, was also defrauded, or at best betrayed. The Thais that lured her into cooperating have no doubt done this in the past and will no doubt continue to do the same in the future...each time further refining their technique and the story of promised riches told to the young and uneducated wife.

I concur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those with leases - you might like to know my civil case was dismissed on grounds of no power to sue the people who conspired to cancel the lease and buy the house at a knock down price. According to the judgement as I was living and eating food together with the owner the lease is of no effect and on the judges own idea such leases are only taken by foreigners to stop the wife / owner from running away.

So leases taken where you live with the owner are fair game for criminals to do as they please with.

In the civil cases where I was defrauded of shares and directorship I had no power to sue anyone because I wasn't the Director registered at the business office and therefore had no power to sue. The court was generous enough to restore me as true Director and shareholder in the asset stripped company. So those with businesses know that it takes a day to change Directors through fraud and after that as the criminal committing the fraud you have free reign to sell the assets and nothing the true Director can do about it until the court order is given to put you back which takes at least a year.

If you think you have any protection as an investor and business person in Thailand then you are deluded.

pat·sy

Without a doubt Ian's wife is just as much a victim, this is why Ian's anger is not necessarily directed at her. First of all you have the brokers who do all the scouring for potential victims, these brokers get a commission for referring someone to a money lender, normally the commission is shared with a higher profile broker who is the one that has the direct contact with the money lender, all it would have taken was a friend/sister/cousin to say that she knows someone who can arrange quick loans and the trap is already set.

Ian's wife will have had all sorts of assurances from these brokers that everything will be OK, such as assurances that the lender having the property transferred in their name throughout the loan term is merely a procedure, and that under no circumstances will it be possible for her to lose the property, they will have assured her that when the loan term is up they will simply extend it, as the person at the land office is also getting a cut they will also make these loose verbal assurances. The actual money lender himself would not have had much involvement.

Another common practice used by these brokers is the promise that the initial loan from the money lender can be replaced by a legitimate bank loan before the term is up, and that they will actually help them to get the bank loan, the broker will of course have a "contact" at the bank who can arrange this, this very often will turn out completely false and once the borrower finds out its normally too late.

Unfortunately for Ian this scam is not limited to farangs, this can happen and is happening on a daily basis with Thais. Where you have 1 case like Ian's you will have a thousand more cases of Thais being screwed over in exactly the same way, this is why Ian will not get anywhere with the courts. As he has found out the only thing to come out of it will be a counter sue for defamation, and as we all know, these crooks will not stand back from kicking a man while he is down !

To those doomsday posters who say never marry a Thai women never buy property never invest any thing in Thailand I would like to add that every relationship isn't! Doomed to failure. The odds certainly go up when you choose a partner from the red light areas.

pat·sy

Without a doubt Ian's wife is just as much a victim, this is why Ian's anger is not necessarily directed at her. First of all you have the brokers who do all the scouring for potential victims, these brokers get a commission for referring someone to a money lender, normally the commission is shared with a higher profile broker who is the one that has the direct contact with the money lender, all it would have taken was a friend/sister/cousin to say that she knows someone who can arrange quick loans and the trap is already set.

Ian's wife will have had all sorts of assurances from these brokers that everything will be OK, such as assurances that the lender having the property transferred in their name throughout the loan term is merely a procedure, and that under no circumstances will it be possible for her to lose the property, they will have assured her that when the loan term is up they will simply extend it, as the person at the land office is also getting a cut they will also make these loose verbal assurances. The actual money lender himself would not have had much involvement.

Another common practice used by these brokers is the promise that the initial loan from the money lender can be replaced by a legitimate bank loan before the term is up, and that they will actually help them to get the bank loan, the broker will of course have a "contact" at the bank who can arrange this, this very often will turn out completely false and once the borrower finds out its normally too late.

Unfortunately for Ian this scam is not limited to farangs, this can happen and is happening on a daily basis with Thais. Where you have 1 case like Ian's you will have a thousand more cases of Thais being screwed over in exactly the same way, this is why Ian will not get anywhere with the courts. As he has found out the only thing to come out of it will be a counter sue for defamation, and as we all know, these crooks will not stand back from kicking a man while he is down !

I am pleased to see someone who seems to understand the reality and maybe the complicity of the courts in allowing these crimes to go unpunished

To those doomsday posters who say never marry a Thai women never buy property never invest any thing in Thailand I would like to add that every relationship isn't! Doomed to failure. The odds certainly go up when you choose a partner from the red light areas.

And the 7/11's, Family Marts, bank staff, shop owners, fruit sellers, council workers, teachers wherever, whenever in the end they all cost you money

Not all dude.

If you have the goods to meet a better girl eg: similar age, similar physique, career minded, drives, aspirations etc, it works.

I live around Lad Phrao in BKK.

If you ever get around this way, you'll see a lot of savvy lads with the same in girl.

But, there will be very few on TVF of this ilk.

he looks a decent chap , I feel quite sorry for him , it must have been quite a shock for him to discover his wife for nine years had taken him to the cleaners with the aid of other people, nasty unfortunately he is just another statistic .

Yes and quite a shock for some TVF members to find he has a voice on here too. A lot of back peddling suddenly with his appearance by people who love to snigger crass stuff to obtain status by shock appeal. For them just entertainment value at someone else's misfortune other than their own.

No back pedaling from me,

You can see from the wedding photo what was going to happen.

No slim 20 year old marries a fat 42 year old for love ............................

(a slim 20 year old + an attractive and slim 40 year old is stretching the old credibility a bit)

And that's not even considering the cultural differences, the language barrier ........

100% guaranteed to end in death or financial disaster.

hahahahahahahahahaha! you are mis-informed sir. Thai girls love men dubble their age, fat, balding, smelly men.

For those with leases - you might like to know my civil case was dismissed on grounds of no power to sue the people who conspired to cancel the lease and buy the house at a knock down price. According to the judgement as I was living and eating food together with the owner the lease is of no effect and on the judges own idea such leases are only taken by foreigners to stop the wife / owner from running away.

So leases taken where you live with the owner are fair game for criminals to do as they please with.

Many of us are of the opinion contracts between married people in Thailand are invalid.

Now it has been confirmed by a Thai judge.

I have never said that,

Happily married to a Thai University student half my age, happily paid the 10% deposit on her new house (SCB owns the other 90%).

But I do believe the majority of relationships are doomed to failure, if you both live long enough.

And I don't believe HER former occupation is relevant to that relationship, or the length of its existence.

(not that you will ever know the truth about her past)

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Not all dude.

If you have the goods to meet a better girl eg: similar age, similar physique, career minded, drives, aspirations etc, it works.

I live around Lad Phrao in BKK.

If you ever get around this way, you'll see a lot of savvy lads with the same in girl.

But, there will be very few on TVF of this ilk.

A fat, ugly Thai women who wears shorts, t-shirt and trainers with white socks. Who swills beer down and smokes. I'm on the lookout. Cheers for the advice.

That's exaggerating a bit , don't you think ?

Perhaps she was just happy, at the beginning , to improve her quality of life.

In my experience, Thai girls, and not necessarily bar girls, have to face some pressure from relatives and friends when they catch a " rich " foreigner.

Personally, i've had a couple of relationships failed over the years for that reason , and they were not dirt poor, uneducated women.

True. My wife has been told to divorce me because I won't give them ( the family ) money. So far she has resisted, but it has caused tension between me and her at times.

pat·sy

I am pleased to see someone who seems to understand the reality and maybe the complicity of the courts in allowing these crimes to go unpunished

Anyone that has been in Thailand more than 5 days and actually is interested in the country, rather than just getting pissed and fornicating, will be aware that the law is not as it is back 'ome, wherever that may be. They will also realise after some investigation that the law is not a friend to farangs that try and circumvent the law to buy property.

Having ascertained such, it is only sensible to deduce that it is not a good idea to do so, and act accordingly.

It constantly surprises me that in LOS, well known for not allowing farangs to own property, other than condos with restrictions, so many farangs do "buy" property by bending the law, especially as there are always stories such as this thread doing the rounds.

Given that renting is so cheap, I am boggled that the scams keep coming.

something is missing

the wife did not benefit

pat·sy

I concur.

Interestingly my Thai wife said exactly the same and that was almost instantly.

This talk about age difference being the reason for the problem gets a bit tedious.

This talk about age difference being the reason for the problem gets a bit tedious.

And yet, 102 members agree with me and 3 members agree with you.

(although you seem to have focused on age, and forgotten about morbidly obese, foreign and unattractive)

Edited by MaeJoMTB