'Defrauded by my wife and criminals in Thailand' - BBC special report

Jonathan Fairfield

Sad stuff this.

What gets me is that 11 years ago I met a wonderful Thai lady - a real honey!

First, bought her a m/c - Honda Wave.

About 5 years ago, bought her a car.

This year a quality home.

Now, she desires a new Pajero.

When I got cancer, I made her co-signatory to bank a/cs.

She has been with me through thick & thin.

So far, all is too good, BUT one never knows!

Oh well, if it hits the fan, there is always the Salvos or Vinnies.

I totally trust her but after reading this type of thread, some fear & worry arise.

Friend of mine also has cancer, 3 years now, expensive operations and treatment.

He and his wife have been together 10 years, she's 30 years younger than him.

Throughout she has been a total gem, completely supportive, always acting in his best interests.

He is housebound so she deals with all the finances has his cards and PINs.

UNTIL

Last year, started borrowing money from anyone that would lend (despite an allowance of 50k a month).

My wife lent her 5K, never to be returned, at which point we stopped seeing them ........... he wouldn't be told.

Since then has emptied his bank account (nearly 2M baht). (Info from mutual friends)

Goes out every night, dressed to kill.

He's very sad,and his children in the UK want him to go home and live with them.

He has nothing left in Thailand, his 5M baht house is in her name.

Amazing Thailand. I was actually convinced she was the one that broke the rule.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MaeJoMTB

My situation is relatively similar to the one you mentioned.

Nothing I can do now to the best of my knowledge. Ufustruct (??). Theoretically OK. Practically, stuff all.

I am much more liquid TODAY.

TOMORROW?

I may be lucky - I may be unlucky.

I guess that there is always free board & sustenance @ MaeJo!

Its amazing just how balanced (unbitter) he is about the whole thing -- you get used to reading people ranting on here about the loss of half of a 2nd hand car when their marriage & relationship with their children is falling apart.

I do hope that shinning the spotlight on it once again (his case has been aired here before ---links to YouTube etc) gives him some help.

I have mentioned it before---its not fool proof but where are your (ownership papers) Chanuk--- its a lot more difficult to be cheated if they are in a safe deposit box, (or even with a friend)

It means new papers have to be applied for at land office----the loss has to be reported to the police--affidavit signed at land office .....etc ...etc.

whilst You are somewhat right, its still an easy option for a 'Thai " seen this done and the guy lost his house, lets face it, who goes to the local Amphur to see if their chanote has been re applied for !!

I generally enjoy and respect your thoughtful posts, villagefarang, but in this case I think you are being overly judgemental and behind the times.

In the past, Thai law pretty much reflected your thinking. It reasoned that because foreigners could not legally own land in Thailand, in the event that their illegally obtained land rights were violated, the law could provide no remedy to protect an illegal interest in property. In the 1990's, however, Thailand's Supreme Court changed its thinking on this matter. Under current Thai land law if a person is found to have obtained an illegal interest in land, the Department of Land can step in and force the foreigner to sell the illegally owned land. The court thus reasoned that because an administrative mechanism for forcing the sale of illegally owned land existed, land ownership rights, even those obtained in violation of Thai land law, could still be protected under civil law. People, of course, have the right not to sympathize with Ian, but at least recognize and acknowledge - as the Thai Supreme Court has done - that two wrongs don't make a right, and land law shouldn't be used as a justification for ripping people off.

It should also be pointed out that instances of foreigners illegally obtaining interests in land are likely far more prevelant than many realize. For example, under Thai land law, if a foreign national marries a Thai national, any funds used to purchase land should come exclusively from the Thai national. The main reason for this is that in the event of divorce, the law does not want a foreign national to be able to assert an ownership interest in the land. The law further stipulates that when a Thai national and a foreign born national seek to purchase land, the couple should sign an affidavit which states none of the money used to purchase the land came from the foreign national. If a Thai/foreign national couple purchases land with assets which belong to the foreign national, this is in clear violation of Thai land law. Furthermore, anyone stating that the money to purchase the land did not come from the foreign national when in reality it did, is guilty of making false statements to a public official, which is punishable by fines and incarceration. My point is that the prevelance of foreigners circumventing or violating land law goes far beyond people just setting up dummy corporations, may extend right to one's own front door, and it may be wise to conduct a compliance review of one's own situation before passing judgement on others.

I also don't think that speculation about how this man's wife may or may not have 'felt' is appropriate. The motives for the wife's accumulation of debt are unknown and could have been incurred out of sheer avarice, gambling debts, or even been incurred prior to the marriage, hidden from the spouse for 8 years, all the while accumulating interest at loanshark rates. I'm just saying that not everyone who has been taken advantage of in Thailand is naive, a control freak, or a bloomin' idiot, and knowing you've been here for many years, I'm genuinely surprised you are as reluctant as you seem to be to acknowledge this.

Your post is long and I am somewhat confused by it, but I believe that you are in agreement with those of us that say "thinking of buying land in Thailand- JUST DON'T".

Here's the Cliff Notes version of what I wrote:

Thailand's Supreme Court has interpreted the law to allow foreigners to protect illegally obtained property rights. Those saying that 'anyone who violates Thailand's land laws deserves what they get,' are out of step with Thailand's Supreme Court.

Violation of land law is probably more prevalent than many realize and extends beyond people setting up dummy corporations. Before passing judgement on the OP, you may want to check first if you are fully compliant with the law.

Speculating about the health of the OP's prior marriage is unfair because all of the facts are not known. Blaming the victim by speculating that he may have driven his wife to commit fraud is also unfair.

I would not advocate violating Thailand's land laws. It is rife with peril, and in many cases registering land in another entity's or person's name creates a moral hazard. If you choose to take that risk, you need to fully understand the risks and potential consequences involved.

I admire the OP's efforts to seek justice and recover his assets. By alerting others to these dangers, as well as hopefully discouraging others from perpetrating similar criminal acts, the OP is helping the expat community and deserves to be supported by us.

Surely, it's only if the foreigner does not know that he is buying the property illegally? If you enter into an illegal contract knowingly, it is unenforceable.

I don't get it why so many here are blaming Ian and his choice of wife. The whole story here is not really about the wife, who apparently ended up in jail with no money. The story is about the legal system here and groups of people that manage to control it in their own way. The wife would not have been able to pull this off entirely on her own. If she had this plan already when they married or not is irrelevant.

B/c you're asking for trouble when you marry a girl half your age, in Thailand or anywhere else in the world. Things like this are less likely to happen when the ages are closer, the backgrounds are similar, and there's a legit connection between the two people.

Stop playing victim. You knew going in the inconsistentcies in legal recourse should things go wrong. Well they went wrong and you are living what you already knew.

The thing is most non nationals are now aware of the lack of law, justice, logic indeed blatant racism in the judicial system in Phuket. 10 years ago it was not apparent because people like Ian did not come out and bare their souls to be ridiculed when they should be applauded and supported. I don't think it was easy for him to go public but he hopefully will have prevented others from falling into the same trap. How many of those mightier than thou negative Thaivisa keyboard warriors have bank accounts or cars in Thailand because you can just as easily loose your car and the money in your bank account just like like Ian and have no idea until it is too late. What do you see at the start and finish of the Thaivisa newsletter every day? Houses for sale. How are Phuket newspapers mostly funded? Property advertising. The purchasing of property in Phuket is often promoted by the Governor and his administration and supported by the legal profession. The foreign currency used to purchase property in Thailand is converted to Thai Baht Thailand through the Bank of Thailand with the detail that the fund transfer is for the purchase of property. So is the legal profession and Bank of Thailand complicit in the fraud? If the purchase of property is illegal then the Bank of Thailand, legal profession and courts should make a clear statement that it is. Quite a few people I know are, as a result of this and other recent publicity cutting and running from Phuket. I think everybody should get behind Ian and support him and not slaughter the messenger. Shocking things have been said here about Ian with malice and little forethought. Cheap shots. He is already in a dark place and we should be supporting him. The man is clearly not a fool and did not put all his eggs in the one basket as many suggested because he has been fighting the corruption in Phuket and existing here for 5 years. Thaivisa would be all the better for each and every one of us if we supported each other.

If you own a car or let your wife have access to your bank account you are asking for trouble, IMO. I don't own a car, or anything other than home appliances for that matter.

My wife has no access to my bank account books or the numbers, so how could she rip me off with them?

Why a young wife would forsake everything she build in this marriage for the money? There must be something fishy going on behind this so called fraud. The title of "Defrauded by his Thai wife" is not accurate and unfounded.

No Mary it is accurate and well founded. You obviously don't know how the criminal fraternity which is prevalent in Phuket works. I am at court today. Just met a German man who told me the prosecutor here is corrupt - that is at least 5 people who have knowledge who have said that though I am not yet involved with the prosecutor. I met someone works for the foreign consulate also who said there are dozens and dozens of French people she has met over the last four years who have been similarly scammed.

The whole scale of scamming foreigners is just totally hidden with good reason yet people try to find some way to excuse it. Why? It exists through the police, the prosecutor and the courts which means the entire justice system. And as a foreigner you are not only at a disadvantage through not understand the copious amounts of paperwork that is cost prohibitive to translate but the lawyers hide papers from you and collude with the other side. Yet no one seems to be interested that this is all going on - just accept Thai culture and embrace it I am told.

I want to care for my kids, not cheat anyone nor live my life telling lies. I don't want a life of sexual outlets who pass through a daily revolving door and a life that is totally shallow so excuse me for not embracing all Thai culture has to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While you have had a bad deal, you lived in Phuket, which is well known for many years to be like that. Did you never think to take precautions?

I don't get it why so many here are blaming Ian and his choice of wife. The whole story here is not really about the wife, who apparently ended up in jail with no money. The story is about the legal system here and groups of people that manage to control it in their own way. The wife would not have been able to pull this off entirely on her own. If she had this plan already when they married or not is irrelevant.

B/c you're asking for trouble when you marry a girl half your age, in Thailand or anywhere else in the world. Things like this are less likely to happen when the ages are closer, the backgrounds are similar, and there's a legit connection between the two people.

Rubbish. My western ex is the same age as myself, and we had similar backgrounds, yet she became the using b***h from hell and took me for as much as she could get.

And, why would I want to marry an old woman that looks like my granny did before she died? I wasn't after my wife's mind when I asked her to marry me.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

I don't think it was easy for him to go public ...........

I think everybody should get behind Ian and support him .......

Shocking things have been said here about Ian with malice and little forethought. Cheap shots........

The man is clearly not a fool and did not put all his eggs in the one basket as many suggested because he has been fighting the corruption in Phuket and existing here for 5 years. .......

1. OP doesn't appear to be Ian.

2. Why? Because he's white?

3. I can't find any shocking posts, or any malice, Mods would have removed such posts.

4. Are you sure? Fighting corruption in Thailand?

I generally enjoy and respect your thoughtful posts, villagefarang, but in this case I think you are being overly judgemental and behind the times.

In the past, Thai law pretty much reflected your thinking. It reasoned that because foreigners could not legally own land in Thailand, in the event that their illegally obtained land rights were violated, the law could provide no remedy to protect an illegal interest in property. In the 1990's, however, Thailand's Supreme Court changed its thinking on this matter. Under current Thai land law if a person is found to have obtained an illegal interest in land, the Department of Land can step in and force the foreigner to sell the illegally owned land. The court thus reasoned that because an administrative mechanism for forcing the sale of illegally owned land existed, land ownership rights, even those obtained in violation of Thai land law, could still be protected under civil law. People, of course, have the right not to sympathize with Ian, but at least recognize and acknowledge - as the Thai Supreme Court has done - that two wrongs don't make a right, and land law shouldn't be used as a justification for ripping people off.

It should also be pointed out that instances of foreigners illegally obtaining interests in land are likely far more prevelant than many realize. For example, under Thai land law, if a foreign national marries a Thai national, any funds used to purchase land should come exclusively from the Thai national. The main reason for this is that in the event of divorce, the law does not want a foreign national to be able to assert an ownership interest in the land. The law further stipulates that when a Thai national and a foreign born national seek to purchase land, the couple should sign an affidavit which states none of the money used to purchase the land came from the foreign national. If a Thai/foreign national couple purchases land with assets which belong to the foreign national, this is in clear violation of Thai land law. Furthermore, anyone stating that the money to purchase the land did not come from the foreign national when in reality it did, is guilty of making false statements to a public official, which is punishable by fines and incarceration. My point is that the prevelance of foreigners circumventing or violating land law goes far beyond people just setting up dummy corporations, may extend right to one's own front door, and it may be wise to conduct a compliance review of one's own situation before passing judgement on others.

I also don't think that speculation about how this man's wife may or may not have 'felt' is appropriate. The motives for the wife's accumulation of debt are unknown and could have been incurred out of sheer avarice, gambling debts, or even been incurred prior to the marriage, hidden from the spouse for 8 years, all the while accumulating interest at loanshark rates. I'm just saying that not everyone who has been taken advantage of in Thailand is naive, a control freak, or a bloomin' idiot, and knowing you've been here for many years, I'm genuinely surprised you are as reluctant as you seem to be to acknowledge this.

Your post is long and I am somewhat confused by it, but I believe that you are in agreement with those of us that say "thinking of buying land in Thailand- JUST DON'T".

Here's the Cliff Notes version of what I wrote:

Thailand's Supreme Court has interpreted the law to allow foreigners to protect illegally obtained property rights. Those saying that 'anyone who violates Thailand's land laws deserves what they get,' are out of step with Thailand's Supreme Court.

Violation of land law is probably more prevalent than many realize and extends beyond people setting up dummy corporations. Before passing judgement on the OP, you may want to check first if you are fully compliant with the law.

Speculating about the health of the OP's prior marriage is unfair because all of the facts are not known. Blaming the victim by speculating that he may have driven his wife to commit fraud is also unfair.

I would not advocate violating Thailand's land laws. It is rife with peril, and in many cases registering land in another entity's or person's name creates a moral hazard. If you choose to take that risk, you need to fully understand the risks and potential consequences involved.

I admire the OP's efforts to seek justice and recover his assets. By alerting others to these dangers, as well as hopefully discouraging others from perpetrating similar criminal acts, the OP is helping the expat community and deserves to be supported by us.

Surely, it's only if the foreigner does not know that he is buying the property illegally? If you enter into an illegal contract knowingly, it is unenforceable.

Entering into an illegal contract knowingly must surely be a criminal act.

Why a young wife would forsake everything she build in this marriage for the money? There must be something fishy going on behind this so called fraud. The title of "Defrauded by his Thai wife" is not accurate and unfounded.

No Mary it is accurate and well founded. You obviously don't know how the criminal fraternity which is prevalent in Phuket works. I am at court today. Just met a German man who told me the prosecutor here is corrupt - that is at least 5 people who have knowledge who have said that though I am not yet involved with the prosecutor. I met someone works for the foreign consulate also who said there are dozens and dozens of French people she has met over the last four years who have been similarly scammed.

The whole scale of scamming foreigners is just totally hidden with good reason yet people try to find some way to excuse it. Why? It exists through the police, the prosecutor and the courts which means the entire justice system. And as a foreigner you are not only at a disadvantage through not understand the copious amounts of paperwork that is cost prohibitive to translate but the lawyers hide papers from you and collude with the other side. Yet no one seems to be interested that this is all going on - just accept Thai culture and embrace it I am told.

I want to care for my kids, not cheat anyone nor live my life telling lies. I don't want a life of sexual outlets who pass through a daily revolving door and a life that is totally shallow so excuse me for not embracing all Thai culture has to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well sir, you need to go to the top somehow. Don't what the hurdles are but the good General has been promising to tackle corruption. I know that sounds like an oxymoron but you have to start somewhere, maybe at the top and work down.

Rubbish. My western ex is the same age as myself, and we had similar backgrounds, yet she became the using b***h from hell and took me for as much as she could get.

And, why would I want to marry an old woman that looks like my granny did before she died? I wasn't after my wife's mind when I asked her to marry me.

You can marry whoever you want. And nothing has to last forever. I think it's safe to say we've arrived at an era where nothing in marriage is guaranteed, nor does it have to be. My point is it's more likely there will be some kind of foul play when the age difference is so big.

You can marry whoever you want. And nothing has to last forever. I think it's safe to say we've arrived at an era where nothing in marriage is guaranteed, nor does it have to be. My point is it's more likely there will be some kind of foul play when the age difference is so big.

I disagree. The only real danger is in marrying someone that insists on having a house, car etc bought for her, a large sin sod that isn't given back, payments to the family etc. Those are all danger signals that the woman is in it for the money. Also, giving the woman lots of money instead of her earning her own money and having joint bank account etc is all leading to temptation for her to take advantage.

Want to be sure she isn't in it for the money- don't buy her anything expensive, don't give sin sod, don't support the family, expect her to work and never give her any knowledge of or access to your money.

I doubt a gold digger would even agree to marry in the first place if that is the reality.

very strange indeed, I actually thought you married for love, I mean why marry someone you dont trust. I trust my wife implicitly, there are no worries about her stealing my money or anything else. Dont know how you lot that marry much younger women then not trust them live, must be frustrating as sh*t knowing you can never trust her with anything or buy her anything nice. Yes there are some bad ones around, as many as the men that are just as bad and are busy screwing anything they can behind her back to boost their ego's, pretty pathetic really. Occasionally someone is caught out but a lot of us arent and are in very happy marriages, feel sorry for those that are in theirs for the anything other than love, what a waste of a life, at least the poor bugger that was ripped off has enough sense to move on and still trust people, some of you lot must have bloody miserable lives with these untrustworthy females.

Edited by seajae

very strange indeed, I actually thought you married for love, I mean why marry someone you dont trust. I trust my wife implicitly, there are no worries about her stealing my money or anything else. Dont know how you lot that marry much younger women then not trust them live, must be frustrating as sh*t knowing you can never trust her with anything or buy her anything nice. Yes there are some bad ones around, as many as the men that are just as bad and are busy screwing anything they can behind her back to boost their ego's, pretty pathetic really. Occasionally someone is caught out but a lot of us arent and are in very happy marriages, feel sorry for those that are in theirs for the anything other than love, what a waste of a life, at least the poor bugger that was ripped off has enough sense to move on and still trust people, some of you lot must have bloody miserable lives with these untrustworthy females.

How can you say that someone that marries a woman that is half his age, from a different culture, and that probably can't even have a conversation about anything "loves" her? Sure, he lusts for her, and wants to shag his brains out as often as possible, but "love' whatever that is- I doubt it.

Also, "trust" is meaningless. I trusted my ex and she scammed me, I trusted my friend of 20 years and he scammed me. I don't "trust" people anymore.

What do you mean by "can't buy her anything nice"? Nice doesn't have to be expensive.

I trust that my wife isn't with me for the money, as I don't give her enough for her to be a gold digger.

Sad stuff this.

What gets me is that 11 years ago I met a wonderful Thai lady - a real honey!

First, bought her a m/c - Honda Wave.

About 5 years ago, bought her a car.

This year a quality home.

Now, she desires a new Pajero.

When I got cancer, I made her co-signatory to bank a/cs.

She has been with me through thick & thin.

So far, all is too good, BUT one never knows!

Oh well, if it hits the fan, there is always the Salvos or Vinnies.

I totally trust her but after reading this type of thread, some fear & worry arise.

Friend of mine also has cancer, 3 years now, expensive operations and treatment.

He and his wife have been together 10 years, she's 30 years younger than him.

Throughout she has been a total gem, completely supportive, always acting in his best interests.

He is housebound so she deals with all the finances has his cards and PINs.

UNTIL

Last year, started borrowing money from anyone that would lend (despite an allowance of 50k a month).

My wife lent her 5K, never to be returned, at which point we stopped seeing them ........... he wouldn't be told.

Since then has emptied his bank account (nearly 2M baht). (Info from mutual friends)

Goes out every night, dressed to kill.

He's very sad,and his children in the UK want him to go home and live with them.

He has nothing left in Thailand, his 5M baht house is in her name.

Amazing Thailand. I was actually convinced she was the one that broke the rule.

Some years ago there was a British ex cop married a Thai woman, Some time later he was rescued from a hut in the jungle by a missionary. Apparently he got sick and his wife left him there to die.

Can happen to anyone.

Yes, you are generally right, but the story is not about how to chose your wife. It's about the corrupt "system".

During my bachelor years here, I had many dates lasting just few minutes, the time enough to tell them that I was not planning in buy anything, even a brand new car, for my self or anybody else, or planning in travel the world soon.

off topic,

And I always told them I was gonna buy them a house and car ........ banged every one of them that night.

Who's a silly billy then?

MaeJo..... If you like to lie for the chance of banging right away EVERY ONE women you met....OR your taste is very bad, .....OR is the only way you can get late ...... OR you do not have any respect your best friend Dick. I hope you protected him from dubious partners....

A little off topic but I will say this. In my experience with Thai women and Thai culture I have seen many many Thai women stand by their man whilst they have become gravely ill, whether they have been rich or poor. They have stood by their side, nurtured them, cleaned them, prayed for them and did anything they could for them right to the end.They gave up their own life to be with their man right to the end. And I'm I talking women from all walks of life, from a cleaner, to a bar girl to a university educated woman. I give them full credit for this as I don't see it on such a scale in the west.

I applaud any publicity which people in this situation can get. The only language these Thai can understand embarrassment through losing face when their dirty tricks are exposed. At least since the coup there is a faint chance someone will do something about it.

But I also can't help feeling what a hypocrite Jonathan Head is. He is a staunch supporter of Pheu-Thai and those dirty cronies never did a single thing to stop corruption and dirty officials. In fact they encouraged it.

Just a bit of journalistic opportunism from someone low on ethics. It seems anything which will reflect badly on the country is fair game for him while the Junta are in charge. I don't think it is coincidence that he never did anything like this while the dirty cronies were in power.

So many sad stories of the treachery of Thai women. But in the loyalty stakes, and in cases of a woman spurned, i think they are

little different to women of any race.

Funny thing though, when you make suggestions of how to mix it with these women on the same level, guys on here (probably the same guys who do all

the moaning) seem to quickly jump on the womans rights, PC wagon, call you a chauvinist and attack you.

I once made a post many years ago and mentioned the word "training" in regards to developing a Thai ladys thought process/logic

to a point where both farang and Thai could understand each other on a "fairness" level.

Wow did i cop it. SO now i say Som Num Na to all those that got conned.

Me, im still ok. Ive trained a few to come around to my way of thinking and havent got done over.

A large part of that is the liberal application of a lot of BS. Like for instance, if a Thai lady hangs around in the case where

you tell her you will be pretty much dead broke for six months and cant afford this and that.. and maybe she'd be better off going and finding

a rich farang.

Prevention is better than cure. Ive think ive dodged a few potential bad ones with that tactic.

Now that i think about it i could be complicit in the crime, if any followed my advice and went on to rip a few of you old fools off. haha

A little off topic but I will say this. In my experience with Thai women and Thai culture I have seen many many Thai women stand by their man whilst they have become gravely ill, whether they have been rich or poor. They have stood by their side, nurtured them, cleaned them, prayed for them and did anything they could for them right to the end.They gave up their own life to be with their man right to the end. And I'm I talking women from all walks of life, from a cleaner, to a bar girl to a university educated woman. I give them full credit for this as I don't see it on such a scale in the west.

Hmmmmm. I wonder what sort of job you have. I have lived quite a long time in Thailand but I don't know of many farangs that ended up in that situation. Just what I read on TV from time to time.

In the west, not many look after their aged relatives as we have a well developed industry for hiding old people away from view in "rest homes" where they are left to rot in front of the tv, as never enough staff in an average rest home.

I applaud any publicity which people in this situation can get. The only language these Thai can understand embarrassment through losing face when their dirty tricks are exposed. At least since the coup there is a faint chance someone will do something about it.

But I also can't help feeling what a hypocrite Jonathan Head is. He is a staunch supporter of Pheu-Thai and those dirty cronies never did a single thing to stop corruption and dirty officials. In fact they encouraged it.

Just a bit of journalistic opportunism from someone low on ethics. It seems anything which will reflect badly on the country is fair game for him while the Junta are in charge. I don't think it is coincidence that he never did anything like this while the dirty cronies were in power.

For goodness sakes John why do you have to bring your virulent anti Thaksin/Red Shirt into this forum discussion? The man was cheated out of his rights by a corrupt system that has been endemic in Thailand for decades under many shades of coloured politics. Your anti Thaksin tirades against him and the Red Shirts are tiresome and just go to show how blinkered you are.

Yes, you are generally right, but the story is not about how to chose your wife. It's about the corrupt "system".

Fair enough. But it's kinda like waving your money around in a dangerous neighborhood and then complaining about how bad crime has gotten. Plus, you can't change other people, or the system. Only yourself. Gotta be smarter. In the end, this piece will do more to prevent naive foreigners from marrying young Thai girls than it will to change the system in Thailand.

Thai women dont marry for love.

Fair enough. But it's kinda like waving your money around in a dangerous neighborhood and then complaining about how bad crime has gotten. Plus, you can't change other people, or the system. Only yourself. Gotta be smarter. In the end, this piece will do more to prevent naive foreigners from marrying young Thai girls than it will to change the system in Thailand.

You would hope so. But this isn't new. It's abit like " my wife is different" many farangs think " they are different " as well....think they no better than those who were here before them ( all fools) .Logic should agree with what you said..but it seems to be getting worse..

Thai women dont marry for love.

If they marry farangs..

Well said Seajae wai2.gif