'Defrauded by my wife and criminals in Thailand' - BBC special report

Jonathan Fairfield

I wonder why they feel they must purchase property and invest rather then just bank the money.

I think the thai partners end up convincing them to purchase things.

I suspect here that after 9 years she possibly may have become jealous or seen him ogling younger women and decided to secure her future before things turned sour.

A pre-emptive strike of sorts.

It appears he's out nearly 2 million usd so far including legal fees. Crazy amount.

Was thinking the same thing. Why invest? And why marry for that matter? Not that hard to live here without either of those things weighing you down. Easy enough to rent a house and... hire a gf.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Women can be extremely artful (crafty) Three fairly local UK cases that I heard about were as follows and I reckon that British women can be just as dishonest as a Thais.

(1) Woman claims that her husband has deserted her so claims Council Tax Benefit, Housing Benefit and any other benefits that are up for grabs. Husband is actually working in the building trade in Germany and comes back from time to time to get his oats!

(2) This happened to an old colleague who was posted to the midlands. His wife adored Cornwall and wanted to live near her aunt by the sea. One day the man came home from work to find that his wife and daughter had vanished as well as a lot of the furniture. Now the wife was well off as she had allegedly been left money from a will. She bought a cottage using a name different from the name she normally used. The next trick was to pose as a penniless homeless single parent "Who knows of a cottage for rent". The Benefits Agency were allegedly tricked into paying the rent and council tax on the cottage that she allegedly owned! This was not the end of the scam however as she found a job as a live-in child minder. She then rented the cottage to holidaymakers. Not satisfied with hitting the system with a triple-whammy she then tried to claim maintenance from her ex. Her ex was however well informed and said that if she tried it on he would make a few phone calls. The ex-wife died of cancer in her thirties so that was Game Over and end of story.

(3) This happened to an older male relative of the crafty deceased woman . The man had worked hard all his life but he had deliberately left a small amount owing on his mortgage. The reason of course is that if one's house needs a new roof or new windows, topping-up the mortgage is the cheapest way of borrowing money. The man had never really been anywhere so when he retired he wanted to go round the world. To his amazement his wife said that she didn't travelling and she told her husband to go by himself. As soon as he was on his travels his wife went to the bank and cancelled the mortgage payments! Letters from the Building Society soon followed and these threatened to seize the house for non-payment. This was however exactly what the wife wanted! The house was seized and sold and the change was given to the wife as her husband was not in the UK. She had now got nearly all the money from the house which was in joint-names, for herself! With the money she bought a bungalow that had a paddock and stables, horses, a horse-box and a Range Rover.

After a year of travelling the man returns only to discover that his door key no longer works. After knocking on the door it is opened by strangers! "What are you doing in my house?" the man asks. The reply was that they have bought the house and its no longer his. The man who had now been reduced to penury ended up in an old people's home. The final sting was that the ex-wife did not make a will. This meant that when she died everything went to the Duchy-of-Cornwall. Friends and relatives got nothing!

These cases happened decades ago before the Internet and mobile phones that work globally were invented. Nowadays the travelling husband would be able to stay informed. Take care!

Good piece by the BBC in covering this kind of corruption in Thailand.

It is very clear there is no law in this country.

Our dear PM should watch this - he might finally take some action on all this corruption he promise dot get rid off.

Dont worry you want be able to watch all these "lies" about Thailand soon after they get the new firewall in.

I think " invest" is the wrong word. If you have children just buy the house in the wife's name and be done with it.

Transferring sums of foreign money from the husbands account to Thailand for the purpose of purchasing a house or land in the wife's name contravenes Thai law.

I should do you the duty of providing the statute but am unable to at the moment.

Check it out your yourselves.

I don't spend one $ here and my wife pays for my marriage extension.

My (our) money stays in Aus and my wife has the smarts and savvy to understand this.

She is lovely BKK girl a little younger, not a lo-so Issan whore...that's the difference and why so many fail. Smarts, education, family values, and a degree of individual wealth/security should be a pre-requisite.....it's just that most western males here don't get it, or don't "have it" to make a match with a girl of suitable calibre.

I think " invest" is the wrong word. If you have children just buy the house in the wife's name and be done with it.

Transferring sums of foreign money from the husbands account to Thailand for the purpose of purchasing a house or land in the wife's name contravenes Thai law.

I should do you the duty of providing the statute but am unable to at the moment.

Check it out your yourselves.

I don't spend one $ here and my wife pays for my marriage extension.

My (our) money stays in Aus and my wife has the smarts and savvy to understand this.

She is lovely BKK girl a little younger, not a lo-so Issan whore...that's the difference and why so many fail. Smarts, education, family values, and a degree of individual wealth/security should be a pre-requisite.....it's just that most western males here don't get it, or don't "have it" to make a match with a girl of suitable calibre.

I wasn't talking about suitability. I was really referring to nominee structures etc..and the fact it isn't an investment, just don't complicate matters.

You can gift money to your wife, children etc..they can then do as they please. You can then sign at the land office that it is not your money.

Again this just re- enforces to fact it is not an investment, it is a gift.

I know the laws much better than you..and also how they are applied.

I have made significant money on real estate here in Thailand, condo purchases at favourable exchange rates in great areas of Bangkok.

Btw, I agree with all your pre- requisite , I will add...and have a job.

I don't think it helps your argument calling people from issaan names when you probably don't know many.

No

Why not? If you have been married for 10 years, and it is only a small fraction of your wealth and it's near a very good school. If you feel insecure put it in the kids name.

The problem is people come here and are married within 18 months and immediately buy a house in the village...now that is complete nuts!!

very strange indeed, I actually thought you married for love, I mean why marry someone you dont trust. I trust my wife implicitly, there are no worries about her stealing my money or anything else. Dont know how you lot that marry much younger women then not trust them live, must be frustrating as sh*t knowing you can never trust her with anything or buy her anything nice. Yes there are some bad ones around, as many as the men that are just as bad and are busy screwing anything they can behind her back to boost their ego's, pretty pathetic really. Occasionally someone is caught out but a lot of us arent and are in very happy marriages, feel sorry for those that are in theirs for the anything other than love, what a waste of a life, at least the poor bugger that was ripped off has enough sense to move on and still trust people, some of you lot must have bloody miserable lives with these untrustworthy females.
Thai women dont marry for love.
If they marry farangs..
Wrong they marry anybody first for support of their own family.

The assumption is that these girls come from poor families.

Secondly if there are multiple girls in the family which one is supporting the family?

What about those of mixed heritage?

Who's making that assumption? I've met plenty of upper middle-class girls here that were playing the same game. Wealthy guy- Thai or foreigner- buys the family a house, but they don't love him and play around on the side, or worse, try something like this.

Where don't you live upcountry.." Plenty"? ..the chances are within a foreign related forum that they will be poor girls from issaan, with a large age and cultural difference, that is just how it is..and therefore is the experience of most farangs..there are always exceptions..

Morals of the rich here are despicable but they do not as a rule have much to do with foreigners..

This is what you need to remember when you come here to live which is nothing like vacationing here. This culture is 180 opposite to yours. Here family comes first and I mean first. What you think is love is really just respect of your ability to provide for her and her family. You will have her respect as long as you remember this. If you fail or even if she perceives that your not willing to do this then there is no such thing as forgiveness only revenge and compensation. And she will initiate a rather elaborate scheme to defraud you of your assets. She will do this to insure she can continue to live in the manner she has grown accustomed to. When she decides to leave you there will be no indicators. When she is ready to leave you will be blindsided. Take a look at some of the so called happily married foreigners who have that passive subdued demeanor. That is the face of a man that is at the mercy of a woman that can take everything he has and that which is signed in her name. You can't win for the police, the laws and a nation of Thais stand against you. Keep your head and a stash..

This is so good and throws light on the difference in cultures and why many farangs think it's love whilst the Thai women have an entirely different view of it............so good in fact that I've copied and pasted it for future reference and to pass on to friends who come here.

Sad stuff this.

What gets me is that 11 years ago I met a wonderful Thai lady - a real honey!

First, bought her a m/c - Honda Wave.

About 5 years ago, bought her a car.

This year a quality home.

Now, she desires a new Pajero.

When I got cancer, I made her co-signatory to bank a/cs.

She has been with me through thick & thin.

So far, all is too good, BUT one never knows!

Oh well, if it hits the fan, there is always the Salvos or Vinnies.

I totally trust her but after reading this type of thread, some fear & worry arise.

Friend of mine also has cancer, 3 years now, expensive operations and treatment.

He and his wife have been together 10 years, she's 30 years younger than him.

Throughout she has been a total gem, completely supportive, always acting in his best interests.

He is housebound so she deals with all the finances has his cards and PINs.

UNTIL

Last year, started borrowing money from anyone that would lend (despite an allowance of 50k a month).

My wife lent her 5K, never to be returned, at which point we stopped seeing them ........... he wouldn't be told.

Since then has emptied his bank account (nearly 2M baht). (Info from mutual friends)

Goes out every night, dressed to kill.

He's very sad,and his children in the UK want him to go home and live with them.

He has nothing left in Thailand, his 5M baht house is in her name.

Amazing Thailand. I was actually convinced she was the one that broke the rule.

Rather typical if she is a bar girl. This type of thing has been cultivated in the Pattaya and Bangkok beer bars and the legend is known in the rural villages when the rich farang returns with his bar girl who now has new big face with new house and car in her name. The man is simply a fool and all Thais know it. Few exceptions but few and far between. There are good Thai gals but you will have to find them don't let them find you.

very strange indeed, I actually thought you married for love, I mean why marry someone you dont trust. I trust my wife implicitly, there are no worries about her stealing my money or anything else. Dont know how you lot that marry much younger women then not trust them live, must be frustrating as sh*t knowing you can never trust her with anything or buy her anything nice. Yes there are some bad ones around, as many as the men that are just as bad and are busy screwing anything they can behind her back to boost their ego's, pretty pathetic really. Occasionally someone is caught out but a lot of us arent and are in very happy marriages, feel sorry for those that are in theirs for the anything other than love, what a waste of a life, at least the poor bugger that was ripped off has enough sense to move on and still trust people, some of you lot must have bloody miserable lives with these untrustworthy females.
If they marry farangs..

Secondly if there are multiple girls in the family which one is supporting the family?

Who's making that assumption? I've met plenty of upper middle-class girls here that were playing the same game. Wealthy guy- Thai or foreigner- buys the family a house, but they don't love him and play around on the side, or worse, try something like this.

Where don't you live upcountry.." Plenty"? ..the chances are within a foreign related forum that they will be poor girls from issaan, with a large age and cultural difference, that is just how it is..and therefore is the experience of most farangs..there are always exceptions..

Morals of the rich here are despicable but they do not as a rule have much to do with foreigners..

They do it to each other, mate. At every economic level.

Sad stuff this.

I totally trust her but after reading this type of thread, some fear & worry arise.

Friend of mine also has cancer, 3 years now, expensive operations and treatment.

Throughout she has been a total gem, completely supportive, always acting in his best interests.

UNTIL

Last year, started borrowing money from anyone that would lend (despite an allowance of 50k a month).

My wife lent her 5K, never to be returned, at which point we stopped seeing them ........... he wouldn't be told.

Since then has emptied his bank account (nearly 2M baht). (Info from mutual friends)

He's very sad,and his children in the UK want him to go home and live with them.

Rather typical if she is a bar girl. This type of thing has been cultivated in the Pattaya and Bangkok beer bars and the legend is known in the rural villages when the rich farang returns with his bar girl who now has new big face with new house and car in her name. The man is simply a fool and all Thais know it. Few exceptions but few and far between. There are good Thai gals but you will have to find them don't let them find you.

So the guy is a "fool" by your own words....what is the girl and the other people involved in the scam?

Actually what is "typical" are people like you being so judgmental of people who have hundreds of thousands of dollars stolen and then stooping so low as to call names. THAT is typical.

Yes Huawei, point taken re the libel however, I don't doubt the sweeping majority are in it for the baht/family security/face/lack of other more suitable options.

The better girls on the other side of BKK for example are partnered with western lads for love and equality.....age and social demographic are far more similar leading to a greater likelihood of stability and longevity.

Edited by JoopJoop

This talk about age difference being the reason for the problem gets a bit tedious.

And yet, 102 members agree with me and 3 members agree with you.

(although you seem to have focused on age, and forgotten about morbidly obese, foreign and unattractive)

Think about it. An attractive gal half your age. So why would she naturally be attracted to an older, fatter man when she could have a young man? I think most know the answer so unless she has a daddy fetish or something which is doubtful. And don't buy the "Thai man no good" line.

Sad stuff this.

UNTIL

So the guy is a "fool" by your own words....what is the girl and the other people involved in the scam?

Actually what is "typical" are people like you being so judgmental of people who have hundreds of thousands of dollars stolen and then stooping so low as to call names. THAT is typical.

I didn't say he is a fool you seem to be suggesting it by your response. I am saying someone who thinks with his willy and marries a bar girl then withing a short period of time buys her a house in her name might just be considered a bit foolish. Put it in perspective. Tell your family back home you found a great gal back home and she is a stripper with a couple kids and only turns tricks to help out the family. Then tell your family she is different and you just bought her a home in her name in the middle of the prairie. Oh she will also be managing the finances. I think you know their answer. :)

Sad stuff this.

UNTIL

Stop with the good girl non-sense. A good girl is not looking for a husband in pattaya. Good girls are not marrying men who are dubble their weight, dubble their age, dubble their weight, men with half their brainpower..................hahahah, etc etc etc.

If they marry farangs..

I agree. Most of the country should be walking around with their pants down to make it more easy.

If they marry farangs..

I agree. Most of the country should be walking around with their pants down to make it more easy.

One of the few Thai attributes that some farangs seem to get straight away.

Why purchase property in a 3rd world country? I can't think of any reason to do it. Just don't. Rent. I will never purchase property in a country I have no rights in. These silly rich people deserve to lose everything they have.

Sure just like silly pretty women "deserve" to be raped right?

Could your statement be any less insulting?

Only the finest people post on TV

To the people who have been in the same situation

Please, please, please, contact the 2 men in this report.

You can reach the Irish one through https://www.facebook.com/JusticeForJessieThailand?fref=ts

He's worked a lot on his case and at points seemed close to succeed.

If several more people start making their own stories know to the media, it's going to be an awful lot of bad publicity for phuket/thailand.

The authorities don't want that. They may eventually cut a few rotten heads and give you back what's yours to prevent the country's reputation from suffering too much.

To the ones commenting that they deserved it/bar girls/whatever

How does that excuse the systematic corruption of every single official that took part in the theft?

How do you use "stupid farang" as an excuse for bullies leaving a kid a the bottom of a well and menacing to kill a family?

Finally, what did these farangs' kids do to deserve their childhood being spoiled by trips to the court and hiding from the mafia?