TEN-HUT! No Waiting at Immigration at Promenada, September 26!

SemperFi

I was told that for their service they ask between 1,500 and 2,000 baht.

CEC asked 200 baht.

If I was told incorrectly, please, accept my apologies and tell me/us what is the correct fee for a 90-day report service.

Neinke, more and more people are getting 90 days done by post for around 35-80baht depending on whether you use reg or ems, it would have saved you 2 trips. Unless of course there is no PO near your place?

I can understand the CEC helping those doing visa renewals or possibly even re-entry but seems that 90 days with online and postal options is unnecessary.

But simply my opinion.

I know, thanks. :)

I was too late ... as usual. ;)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, we had a hand-out with instructions on how to do 90 day reports by mail that we gave to several people who came on Tuesday thinking they would join in the CEC group trip to Immigration. As she said, Nienke was beyond the timeframe when she could mail hers. The others weren't and left with the instructions, although they'd never reported by post before and were a little dubious.

Hubby's "window of opportunity" was this week and we finally were successful in doing his 90-day report on-line! We had some difficultly in printing the proper receipt. We could get the notice that he had been Approved and did a "print screen" of that, but it took a number of tries with different computers with different versions of Windows until we finally found the right combo to get a receipt printed. And yes, we were using Explorer. We were about ready to dust off the oldest laptop with Windows XP. I have a feeling the on-line 90 day reporting would work best with that version of Windows! Sure didn't work with Windows 10.

I was told that for their service they ask between 1,500 and 2,000 baht.

CEC asked 200 baht.

If I was told incorrectly, please, accept my apologies and tell me/us what is the correct fee for a 90-day report service.

I payed 1000 Baht for 4 reports via Assist Thai Visa.

CEC asked 200 baht.

For clarification (in case there is a possible misunderstanding by anyone), the extra 200 baht fee (per document requested, e.g., it'd be 400 baht for both a retirement extension and a re-entry permit) goes to Immigration - and I presume that's to compensate the Immigration folk for coming in on a Saturday (non-work day). The Expat club (CEC) gets nothing (other than, so far, the gracious hospitality and use of the office of the Japanese Long Stay Club for the pre-screening process).

Don't know yet if we'll be able to offer this service again in October. All the Immigration officers and helpers present on Saturday seemed to like the day, but we need to get permission again for this to continue. We're working on that early this week.

One thing that we were told would be different would be for both groups -- CLL and CEC to be processed in the morning, so that would definitely rule out October 24, which is the CEC meeting date.

Is there a plan to offer this service again next month?

It all sounds that it went off very well, hat's off to those who freely gave their time to make this happen.

Whoops....Nancy's post dropped in as I was writing a response. Best to simply read's Nancy's answer above.

Edited by CMBob

Please note that is for members of Chiang Mai Expats Club.

If all goes well with our first event on Saturday, 26 September, we hope to turn it into a monthly event at Immigration Promenada in conjunction with the Japanese Chiangmai Longstay Life Club.

One essential element of the program is that all participants MUST submit their documentation several days in advance. For this month, the date/time of submission is Tuesday, 22 September, 1 - 3 pm at the CLL office. In the future, we'll look for a more convenient place/time to check and submit documents -- maybe during the CEC Breakfast Club at River Market restaurant.

If I joined the Expats club, would I have to attend all or some of the meetings to qualify for the scheme?

Who do I submit my documents to several days in advance? Because they have my bank details, copy of my passport and other private papers. I would be worried about this.

If all goes well with our first event on Saturday, 26 September, we hope to turn it into a monthly event at Immigration Promenada in conjunction with the Japanese Chiangmai Longstay Life Club.

One essential element of the program is that all participants MUST submit their documentation several days in advance. For this month, the date/time of submission is Tuesday, 22 September, 1 - 3 pm at the CLL office. In the future, we'll look for a more convenient place/time to check and submit documents -- maybe during the CEC Breakfast Club at River Market restaurant.

If I joined the Expats club, would I have to attend all or some of the meetings to qualify for the scheme?

Who do I submit my documents to several days in advance? Because they have my bank details, copy of my passport and other private papers. I would be worried about this.

The same would apply if you used a visa agent no different.Or get up at 5am and do it yourself.

Yes, we had a hand-out with instructions on how to do 90 day reports by mail that we gave to several people who came on Tuesday thinking they would join in the CEC group trip to Immigration. As she said, Nienke was beyond the timeframe when she could mail hers. The others weren't and left with the instructions, although they'd never reported by post before and were a little dubious.

Hubby's "window of opportunity" was this week and we finally were successful in doing his 90-day report on-line! We had some difficultly in printing the proper receipt. We could get the notice that he had been Approved and did a "print screen" of that, but it took a number of tries with different computers with different versions of Windows until we finally found the right combo to get a receipt printed. And yes, we were using Explorer. We were about ready to dust off the oldest laptop with Windows XP. I have a feeling the on-line 90 day reporting would work best with that version of Windows! Sure didn't work with Windows 10.

I was fortunate that my last Retirement extension was due in July and I was able to get an On-Line appointment for June, so I did it just before the move to Promenada. I will be continuing to follow this thread, and Nancy's good work, with interest to see what transpires and pans out before next June...

I just did my 90 day report using Windows 10, Chrome browser, and Chrome UA (User Agent) Spoofer set to Internet Explorer 10.

I made the On-Line application on Sat 26 Sept (14 days before due date) and had received Approval today, Mon 28, when I checked at 10:45.

So Windows 10 does work if you use IE10 or a Spoofer...

No you wouldn't have to attend meetings of CEC to participate, but I would hope this wouldn't be the only reason you join CEC. Please come to some of our meetings and you'll probably be pleasantly surprised at who you meet and the good time you have.

Yes, documents do need to be submitted several days in advance, along with your passport and your concerns are valid. Every person's documents, passports and bankbooks were put into a plastic document protector, one per person in the order of processing and the entire stack was put into a canvas bag. The canvas bags (CEC's and CLLs) were taken to Immigration immediately after the review session. Remember that CLL has been doing this for several years, only Immigration has been coming to their monthly meeting to do the interviews and return the passports. Now the rules have changed and the interview has to occur at the Promenada office.

Immigration officials obviously had reviewed the documents prior to our arrival on Saturday. I was greeted two two passports that had a note clipped to them with deficiencies in our review process. More copies were needed and it was a quick process to get the copies before events kicked off on Saturday.

The entire process depends upon applicants submitting their entire application packet in advance and Immigration processing it during "down time" in the several days ahead of the special session.

If you're not comfortable with this (and admittedly not everyone is) then this isn't right program for you.

No you wouldn't have to attend meetings of CEC to participate, but I would hope this wouldn't be the only reason you join CEC. Please come to some of our meetings and you'll probably be pleasantly surprised at who you meet and the good time you have.

Yes, documents do need to be submitted several days in advance, along with your passport and your concerns are valid. Every person's documents, passports and bankbooks were put into a plastic document protector, one per person in the order of processing and the entire stack was put into a canvas bag. The canvas bags (CEC's and CLLs) were taken to Immigration immediately after the review session. Remember that CLL has been doing this for several years, only Immigration has been coming to their monthly meeting to do the interviews and return the passports. Now the rules have changed and the interview has to occur at the Promenada office.

Immigration officials obviously had reviewed the documents prior to our arrival on Saturday. I was greeted two two passports that had a note clipped to them with deficiencies in our review process. More copies were needed and it was a quick process to get the copies before events kicked off on Saturday.

The entire process depends upon applicants submitting their entire application packet in advance and Immigration processing it during "down time" in the several days ahead of the special session.

If you're not comfortable with this (and admittedly not everyone is) then this isn't right program for you.

Did the participants get receipts for their passports after those passports were given to CEC/Immigration?

Edited by mesquite

Did the participants get receipts for their passports after those passports were given to CEC/Immigration?

What good would a receipt be, a lost passport is a lost passport even if you had a hundred receipts. People are doing this voluntarily and I am sure they will take good care of other peoples property. (other peoples government property)

Thank you very much NancyL.

At least you have given us another option to think about.

I never give my passport to someone to hold for several days without getting a receipt. The reason is obvious and has nothing to do with a lost passport. There is no mention of a receipt in the posts so I asked the question. Hopefully someone can answer the question, which you did not.

I never give my passport to someone to hold for several days without getting a receipt. The reason is obvious and has nothing to do with a lost passport. There is no mention of a receipt in the posts so I asked the question. Hopefully someone can answer the question, which you did not.

It is not obvious to me so please spell it out. So tell us why a receipt is so important.

We used the procedure which was developed by the Japanese CLL and has some obvious shortcomings for CEC. There is a master list of each person and what documents/items they submitted. It includes their passport numbers, but not their nationality. Duh -- all the CLL members are Japanese, no need to list nationality for them. Also, the column headings on the master list are in Thai and Japanese. Apparently Japanese people don't ask for receipts, but I think some CEC members would want one. I'm not exactly certain why. This master list serves the same purpose. Copies were given to Immigration and the CEC and CLL organizers who kept the traffic flowing smoothly on the day. But, I guess if they don't trust the people running the program then they can ask for their own receipt.

But, in the end, it's a matter of whether you trust the people you give the passport to or not. In the end, no one is going to stamp that receipt with your next extension of stay.

It is not obvious to me so please spell it out. So tell us why a receipt is so important.

The law says you must have your passport with you at all times.

What happens if you have a traffic accident or get caught up in a random sweep at one of the bars? The BIB want to see your passport. Having a receipt shows it is in an authorized party's hands.

If you get a visa to China from the Chinese consulate they give you a receipt, for example.

I don't think a verbal explanations of "I gave it to the Chiang Mai Expat's Club" or "The Chinese Consulate has it" are going to fly. If they did, anyone without a passport could use those excuses with the expectation that the BIB would shrug their shoulders and say, "OK".

Giving a receipt to someone for the most important document they have is important and should be easy enough to do.

Edited by mesquite

We used the procedure which was developed by the Japanese CLL and has some obvious shortcomings for CEC. There is a master list of each person and what documents/items they submitted. It includes their passport numbers, but not their nationality. Duh -- all the CLL members are Japanese, no need to list nationality for them. Also, the column headings on the master list are in Thai and Japanese. Apparently Japanese people don't ask for receipts, but I think some CEC members would want one. I'm not exactly certain why. This master list serves the same purpose. Copies were given to Immigration and the CEC and CLL organizers who kept the traffic flowing smoothly on the day. But, I guess if they don't trust the people running the program then they can ask for their own receipt.

But, in the end, it's a matter of whether you trust the people you give the passport to or not. In the end, no one is going to stamp that receipt with your next extension of stay.

It has nothing to do with trusting them. It has everything to do with having some sort of proof of where your passport is.

I am one of the very rare (read: "weird") people who carries my passport with me everyday. Nobody else I know here does that but I got in the habit of doing it 15+ years ago and it's no different to me than carrying my wallet. But I acknowledge that I'm one rare bird in doing so.

Being aware of the issue you've raised (perhaps a bit too much), we asked the head Japanese guy if it was necessary to leave the passports in the packets and also asked if the Japanese participants had any reluctance in doing so. He said it was necessary (apparently because the Immigration folk review everything ahead of the Saturday session and want to see the original passports), that the Japanese participants didn't have any problem with it, and he added that he wasn't worried about anything getting lost. And none have been lost. And we asked all of our participants if they were willing to leave their passports in their separate packets and all were willing to do so.

For you, apparently to resolve your dire concerns, the solution is very easy - either participate and don't leave your passport (in which case, you're not allowed to gripe later that Immigration wouldn't deal with your application, wouldn't pre-stamp anything before the Saturday session, and/or that you ended up having to spend more time with Immigration on Saturday) or simply don't participate at all. Pretty easy, huh?

[As for a receipt, heck, I'll sign something for you if it'll lower your stress. It'd likely read as follows: "I/we received your passport and, as you witnessed, placed it in your packet of materials which will be delivered by somebody else this afternoon to Immigration. I can't guarantee the deliverer will get there or won't get lost or won't get robbed but, presuming he/she does arrive at Immigration, Immigration will have custody of your passport until they deliver it back to you at the Saturday session. Hopefully Immigration won't lose it before you get there Saturday and/or a meteorite won't blow up the Immigration office but, if anything like that actually happens, it's not my problem and I don't want to hear about it."]

Edited by CMBob

I think this is ON topic, since this service suggests leaving your passport with the documents which, obviously, would leave the person without their passport.

I would like to see this law that says you must carry your passport with you. It has been brought up for years and no one has ever produced a link to an actual law. Even Immigration officials have given different thoughts. Still, no law has ever been brought to light on ThaiVisa to the best of my knowledge.

I must be another "rare bird' as I always carry my passport with me unless it is involved with some Immigration business.

I certainly hope CM Immigration will reinstate the "online queue system" post-haste, along with a reasonable amount of appointment slots. When I visited their new office, I felt like an orphan at a family picnic, as the staff sat in their air-conditioned office, and I sat outside in the heat.

Hopefully, CEC will be able to continue assisting expats once a month with their required immigration obligations, until immigration can provide their services in a timely and professional manner. If past performance is any indicator, this may be too lofty of a goal.

What happens if you have a traffic accident or get caught up in a random sweep at one of the bars? The BIB want to see your passport. Having a receipt shows it is in an authorized party's hands.

If you get a visa to China from the Chinese consulate they give you a receipt, for example.

I don't think a verbal explanations of "I gave it to the Chiang Mai Expat's Club" or "The Chinese Consulate has it" are going to fly. If they did, anyone without a passport could use those excuses with the expectation that the BIB would shrug their shoulders and say, "OK".

Giving a receipt to someone for the most important document they have is important and should be easy enough to do.

Thank you so much for your answer, you of course are quite correct, as a side issue I always carry my driving licence as id and this has been perfectly acceptable to the police when asked for id. Good luck.

Let's be practical, not paranoid. For the business at hand with Immigration...

Regarding carrying around your passport, I have yet in many, many years heard of anyone discommoded by the lack of a passport in hand except for a business transaction, such as bank business, registration in a hotel, buying an airplane or train ticket, or for major hospital care. There are a few more such occasions where the original passport needs to be presented, BUT I have never heard of anyone being stopped and told to go directly to jail without passing go and collecting $200.

If you are away from home on vacation or travel to distant place, it would be a good idea to carry your passport. Otherwise, a photocopy is a wise thing to have handy. Even for business, a lot of places accept that. And, at home, in a safe place other than where you keep your passport, it would be smart to keep photocopies of your ID pages, your pertinent visa stamps, and latest arrival/departure stamps and form.

If you lose your passport or if you are relieved of it --- say, when you are stupid enough, first, to go into a karaoke with it and, second, attempt to skip out on your inflated bill--- then you report the loss to the police and take the report to your consular services office. Come to think of it, probably not a good idea to carry an ATM or credit card into karaoke. Actually, thinking further, what are you doing in a karaoke?

the most important document they have

I see this relatively a lot, although usually more in tourists, who think that a passport ranks right up there in importance with water and air, and that they will meet their doom in some godforsaken country if they ever lose sight of it.

It's an easily replaceable document.

Yes, losing it sucks and would cost some money, but given the low chance of it happening (versus all kinds of other things that can lose you a bit of time and money) it's not really worth worrying about.

And then secondly it's a little strange to think that a little receipt by a visa agent or any other party would make all the difference when not being able to present a passport right then and there. Print something up if you like and I'm sure someone will sign it for you.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

It was my observation during the document review process that a person's level of concern with giving up their passport for a few days was directly related to the difficulty they have in replacing it. The Americans had little problem because they know they can walk over to the consulate and get a replacement in about 10 days without a police report and that CEC will probably pay for it if we were the cause of the screw-up. The British were very reluctant because it is a major PITA for them to obtain a replacement. As I understand it takes weeks and weeks and probably a police report. Also, the British people who were at the document review were not very active CEC members so they probably didn't understand the current mentality of the people running the club and figured they'd be on the hook for the cost of replacing their passports even if it was CEC who messed up in losing them.

Frankly, I can't blame the British people for being reluctant. I once helped a Brit apply for a new passport on-line and it seemed to be a difficult process and took a long time to get the new passport.

Where do you get that information from? The US Embassy clearly states a police report is required to replace a lost US Passport.

4. Bring the following to the appointment:

• Form DS-11
  • Form DS-64
  • Original police report documenting the loss/theft
  • A photocopy of your current U.S. passport, if available
  • A valid photo ID, if available
  • Passport photo (See link for detailed requirements; an onsite photo booth is available for a fee of 120 THB.)
  • Fee of $135, payable in cash (USD or THB) or by credit card

We will notify you by email when the new passport arrives, usually in about two weeks. If you would like us to mail the new passport to you, then you must prepay the postage for a Thai Post “Courier Pass Back Service” envelope at the Thai Post Office located on site.