Followup colonoscopy after finding a polyp?

dsurin66

I had a colonoscopy over 6 months ago and the dr found a polyp and cut it out. The biopsy results indicated that it was pre cancerous with 'moderate displacia'.

When do you think that I should have another one?

My bowel movements are still strange as I foul myself at least 4 times a day and sometimes have weird pains in my stomach.

Can bowel cancer be identified by the camera during the colonoscopy? Is it worth having my stools analysed?

thanks

Yes indeed. Seek medical help immediately and be sure to explain your symptoms completely to your doctor. I hope that you don't have cancer but colon cancer can often be cured if caught early. Don't hesitate to get a second opinion if you think that it is warranted. Good luck.

1. How soon follow up is needed after polypectomy depends on the number of polyps, their size and the histologic findings. See http://gi.org/guideline/guidelines-for-colonoscopy-surveillance-after-screening-and-polypectomy-a-consensus-update-by-the-us-multi-society-task-force-on-colorectal-cancer/ (the text is rather technical, jump to Table 1). Fro nthe limited information you provided looks like it would be every 3 years.

2. However this recommendation refers to routine screening only. An earlier repeat exam may be indicated if there are suspicious symptoms.

3. Your symptoms require immediate evaluation. Transient incontinence and abdominal pain can occur after colonoscopy (especially if insufficient gas pumped in to extend the bowel for visualization) but usually resolves within a day or two. That you have it 6 months later indicates either that there is a significant complication from the procedure or something else going on. Either way, you need to see a good colorectal surgeon.

I can suggest an excellent one in Bkk. Otherwise, if as your nic suggests you are in Issan then I would recommend Khon Kaen University Hospital. Prof. Potchavit Aphinives there specializes in colorectal surgery and is very eminent. It is possible he has private hours somewhere, I don't know as thew main private hospitals in Khon Kaen do not have English websites. you could call and ask, though.

it dalso depends on the presenc