Peugeot 405 - slight smell of gasoline

ClareQuilty

Lately I've been smelling gasoline a bit when driving the Peugeot. Recently I had the throttle adjusted up and down a number of times to get the idle speed just right, don't know if that could be related. What typically causes a gas odor? The car is fuel injected, not carbureted.

It might be a spill of gasoline when filling up. The pump boys tend to overfill and spill a few Baht worth of gas, which might well cause the smell. On the other hand, what can you expect from a sedan which cost you about the same as a second hand scooter?

depending on the year of vehicle, there are a number of hoses and joints that run the fuel system.

You didn't mention if the the smell is after a fill up or just crusing down the road. Does hit happen during acceleration or decel?

Does it happen cold or hot?

An aged car becomes a clsassic after a while, proper maintenace can keep a vehicle running well and safe.

What do you expect when you buy an old, cheap car? Are we going to be hearing about the ongoing problems forever?

Better than the Superior Jelly Mould Truck Tales that never end. It Doesn't cost Clair 1.5 Mill to pop to Big C....Or the Honda Service moaner who buys a new 750 K City and averages 19 Km per day over the Year with a rattling Seat Belt...gigglem.gif

No, but you get what you pay for, and by the sound of it a sh*t-heap.

Had the same on my old Audi A6, couple of years ago, lifting the bonnet/hood with the engine running and accelerate pressed up and down showed a weep from the joint on one on the injector pipes

undoing and a bit of plumbers tape soon fixed, no leak/weep + no smell anymore

It could be many things, most have been suggested on here. You need to find where it is coming from.

Maybe while the mechanic was working he spilt some petrol or maybe as I said on the previous thread you have an induction leak somewhere in the induction system. Failed fuel injector seals fit in with both problems, give the injectors a wiggle to see if they are loose.

When does the smell occur, where is it coming from, has it just started after previous work ?

Could be your vapor recovery canister filter is very dirty and/or plugged. Possible the vacuum line to purge it is not operating properly. Or, if the smell is inside the car, it is possible a vapor line at the tank is cracked and a little liquid gas leaks out when full.

Just some thoughts.

Thanks for all the tips guys. The smell came back earlier this evening, apparently I can't smell it when the windows are up with the air on. Usually I don't use air-con but did today, so I couldn't smell the gas.

BTW, to further clarify - there is no smell when the car is off, only when it is running/being driven. The smell is recurring over a period of a week, so I'm sure it can't be from someone spilling fuel somewhere. Also, the car has only gasoline fuel, not having any LPG installed. I always use real benzine 95, no gasohol.

I'll try to take it in tomorrow or the next day - hope it doesn't burst into a fireball before then!

Edited by ClareQuilty

The gas smell subsided - seemed to coincide with a full tank... Seems absent at 3/4 tank.

I'm loving the old Peugeot guys!

Friend had one that I have driven a few times years ago, but was the 405 Mi-16... my father had from new the Estate for many years, at the end still drove it a couple of times a week until he died.

My Uncle still drives they live out in the sticks, and is 83, he bought a 404 brand new, last time I was in the UK about 2001, it was on it 4th way round the clock

Edited by ignis

If the smell is worse when a / the windows are down , it could be a poor door or window seal , or a seal or rubber grommet damaged / missing from the boot or even the engine compartment . Do the doors / boot close fully . Could be drawing exhaust fumes into cabin . Is the exhaust leaking / blowing , and does the tail pipe exit clear the rear bumper . The fuel and engine breather hoses should be checked , as suggested . It could be oil leaking onto the exhaust . If you can trust someone to ( CAREFULLY ) jet wash / de-gunk the engine / underside , this may help . I know the OP buys some old heaps , both bikes and cars , but he is on a budget and comes here for advice / help . The world would be be less exciting if we had no problems .

Edited by ktm jeff

The smell is gasoline, not exhaust.

I'm happy to report I took it in to the mechanic today, where he diagnosed it as the 'regulator' which as he put it, controlled the flow of gasoline from the fuel tank, preventing it from flowing back into the tank. He said there was no need to replace the part, as the smell only manifests when the engine is cold - thus the leak is likely very small.

So, another free 'fix', and I'm still motoring down the road for 30k, not bad.

• 3 weeks later...

The gas smell subsided - seemed to coincide with a full tank... Seems absent at 3/4 tank.

I'm loving the old Peugeot guys!

I remember i had same problem on my 405 and my mech cleaned out some big white plastic box.

I do know everything about engines but cant remember what that plastic was, it was unrelated to engine operation.

I wish I could read french and look into the 405 french forums.

• Like 1

Thanks Lampang! Well, I haven't smelled that gas smell in a good long while now. Since my last posts here I had the head gasket redone + head shaved by a different shop (4,500 baht), and a new electric fan motor (2,000 baht), and the car's running noticeably better.

Do you remember where this white plastic box may have been located?

Also, any other advice to a person new to the difficult adventure of French car ownership?

Thanks Lampang! Well, I haven't smelled that gas smell in a good long while now. Since my last posts here I had the head gasket redone + head shaved by a different shop (4,500 baht), and a new electric fan motor (2,000 baht), and the car's running noticeably better.

Do you remember where this white plastic box may have been located?

Also, any other advice to a person new to the difficult adventure of French car ownership?

maybe help PDF file is in English [American]

http://www.esttools.ee/peugeot/405.pdf

Edited by ignis
  • Like 1