ED visa: how long are people staying in Thailand?

I am wondering, under the current climate how long can one expect to be permitted to stay in Thailand on an ED visa. I understand you need to extend every 90 days currently. Does immigration now have a set "no more extensions" time frame? 1 year, 2 years?

Is there anyone out there who has been at their language school more than say, 1 or 2 years, and are still being granted extensions? I understand this varies wildly based on many factors.

I have friends who want to kick back for a year or so in the LOS, study a little Thai, so I'd like to know peoples current experiences.

Thanks in advance

It depends.

A course of 200 hours would provide a max. stay of six months whereas a 400 hour course would enable a max stay of one year.

Extensions are dependent on the individual complying with the conditions of the visa ie No working and attendance at classes which involves attending school (in most cases) 2 hours/day 4 times/week.

Extensions of stay cannot extend beyond one year and a new visa can only be obtained if a school is approved to provide an appropriate level of education.

I stayed for 3 years, but that ended approx two years ago. They might have tightened the regulations since than.

Sometimes we had class 3 times a week, and sometimes 2 times a week. And many people skipped classes, rarely did we have full attendance.

Extension every 90 days at the Chaeng Wattana immigration office.

But again, things may have changed already.

Edited by soomak

One year of study would not be a problem but it requires an enrollment for 400 hours of study.

With only 200 hours a year required it was a possible to study for a total of 3 years at the basic level. So it would seem that only 1.5 years is possible at the basic level.

By attending a school qualified for advanced studies it might be possible to get another year of study after that.

Official course length is now 18 months instead of previous 3 years.

By then you are supposed to be fluent and ready to leave the country where you will never use your Thai skills ever again.

Make sense! thumbsup.gif

I believe there is still the possibility to enroll in a school that can offer advanced studies to get another year. Giving a total of 2.5 years.

Why would they have to leave the country? A person able to read, write and speak Thai could possibley find a job attend a university and etc,

By then you are supposed to be fluent and ready to leave the country where you will never use your Thai skills ever again.

Make sense! thumbsup.gif

Or they could stay if they qualify for a new visa or an extension of stay.

No one can get bitter and twisted that can't stay. They chose to come to Thailand to learn the language and if they didn't consider the long term options then that's their look out.

FWIW I am finishing of my run of ED visas at the end of this month. I was able to do a total of about 27 months. According to my school I could get one more year but that would be it.

Luckily I am turning 50 in a few weeks so it becomes a moot point, for me at least.

• Like 1

Make sense! thumbsup.gif

No one can get bitter and twisted that can't stay. They chose to come to Thailand to learn the language and if they didn't consider the long term options then that's their look out.

Who is bitter and twisted?

Make sense! thumbsup.gif

I didn't say anyone was.

I was commenting on your post which implies to me that people are somehow forced to leave the country after the course finishes having wasted 18 months learning a language. I'm simply saying that if someone comes here to learn Thai, and at the end of the 18 months there isn't a way for them to stay they cannot complain.

These language visas are used to much as a way to stay legally in Thailand for other purposes then learn the language. With all the tens of thousands language school students in this country you have to seriously questioning the purpose of learning the language. Yes you have a partner there and like to be able to communicate with them or you like to open a business or get a legit job. In Pattaya for example there are a high amount of Russians attending schools. On the side they work as guides, in bars at walking street etc. all this side business will soon make it very difficult for serious students that like to learn the language to get a proper visa the same way the visa runs have affected the land border crossings. It's to easy to get a visa to study in Thailand, most countries would only give visa for 20 or 40 study hours a week, that's including home work. And they would also require tests on the way to see that you are a legit student. Try to study in China, Australia, Philippines and you would see the real world. If you go 2 hours a day 4 times a week and can pass a test I would think you are a legit student. The one that goes 2 times a week and skip classes regularly their behavior will soon contribute to stricter visa rules. I can personally don't understand the desperation to stay in a country that you have to constantly find a way to get a visa. The use of student visas should be solid for seriously students.

• Like 1

These language visas are used to much as a way to stay legally in Thailand for other purposes then learn the language. With all the tens of thousands language school students in this country you have to seriously questioning the purpose of learning the language. Yes you have a partner there and like to be able to communicate with them or you like to open a business or get a legit job. In Pattaya for example there are a high amount of Russians attending schools. On the side they work as guides, in bars at walking street etc. all this side business will soon make it very difficult for serious students that like to learn the language to get a proper visa the same way the visa runs have affected the land border crossings. It's to easy to get a visa to study in Thailand, most countries would only give visa for 20 or 40 study hours a week, that's including home work. And they would also require tests on the way to see that you are a legit student. Try to study in China, Australia, Philippines and you would see the real world. If you go 2 hours a day 4 times a week and can pass a test I would think you are a legit student. The one that goes 2 times a week and skip classes regularly their behavior will soon contribute to stricter visa rules. I can personally don't understand the desperation to stay in a country that you have to constantly find a way to get a visa. The use of student visas should be solid for seriously students.

I did study in China and did see the real world it was once a week and only a few hours.

Your post is just hear say.

No country is calculating homework within study time EVER.

There are not tens of thousands of schools in Thailand

Make sense! thumbsup.gif

I didn't say anyone was.

I was commenting on your post which implies to me that people are somehow forced to leave the country after the course finishes having wasted 18 months learning a language. I'm simply saying that if someone comes here to learn Thai, and at the end of the 18 months there isn't a way for them to stay they cannot complain.

MOE Interview:

Officer; How long do you intend to study for?

Me: Till I finished my Thai course.

Officer: Will you back to your country then?

Me: Not sure, may be

Officer face : ***Not impressed***

Me; Yes I will go back to my country when I finish my course.

Officer smiles , end of interview.

This is a rhetorical question, but if foreigners are here on an ED visa and working, why not just walk down walking street, ask a foreigner for his work permit, which needs to be on his/her person, and then arrest them? Why attack the ED visa money making machine? This is rhetorical because I know the answer: this is Thailand.

To be fair, ED visas used to be easy to obtain and extend. Most foreigners I know are too lazy to work, that's why they are here. Now those same people have lives here and want to stay. If the powers that be decided 65 was a good retirement age and not 50, or if they decide people over 65 are a "burden" on the medical system and need to go home (I know that is crazy but just suppose this great country made a decision that was flawed) how many of us would desperately want to stay? Any of us could be the next undesirables . . .

• Like 2

I didn't say anyone was.

MOE Interview:

Ok. And after you finished your course were you forced to leave Thailand or did you manage to get yourself a tourist visa which both enabled you to prolong your stay and continue with your studies?

No need to reply because I already know the answer.

A friend of mine came in on an ED visa about 8 months ago. Her first 3 month extension went fine. The last time she went to extend, they only gave her a month. Her school has told her that is all she can expect next time as well. They claim that immigration is clamping down at the moment but will ease up in November. She checked at a nearby school and was told that they are also experiencing the same issues. Has anyone else had recent extension problems?

I didn't say anyone was.

MOE Interview:

Ok. And after you finished your course were you forced to leave Thailand or did you manage to get yourself a tourist visa which both enabled you to prolong your stay and continue with your studies?

No need to reply because I already know the answer.

Could you please refrain from being personal?

What I did or did not do is not an issue here.

I was giving the official line: LEARN 18 MONTHS AND LEAVE THE COUNTRY

A friend of mine came in on an ED visa about 8 months ago. Her first 3 month extension went fine. The last time she went to extend, they only gave her a month. Her school has told her that is all she can expect next time as well. They claim that immigration is clamping down at the moment but will ease up in November. She checked at a nearby school and was told that they are also experiencing the same issues. Has anyone else had recent extension problems?

There have been a couple of reports about this here.

You can do a search on this forum.

If I was your friend I would not rely on what's the school says. School are in desperate situation: Most schools are now on one month and at this regime many will simply don't resist and close down as students will not renew their enrollment. So it's in their best interest to reassure students.

If they do ease up in November, it will certainly be because enough schools will have shut down and the number of ED visas will be down to their desired target.

By then how many schools will be left?

As for August 2015, only 2 schools in BKK were allowed 3 months.

I was on an ED visa last year. My first 90 reporting was fine, subsequent reporting I was only given 70 days, as many of us from the school. But there was also plenty of students who only got 30 days, some even go 15 days. We have to be interviewed by the immigration officer and if you don't satisfy them you get only a month - but sometimes we are not asked anything and yet also just given 30 days.

My last 2 extensions - the school organised a PRO (name it whatever you want) - we paid 2000THB extra on top of the extension fees THB1900 and they will sort out the extension for us - only 70 days - not 90!!!

They are clamping down hard on ED visas.

I did attend all my classes.

There have been a couple of reports about this here.

You can do a search on this forum.

If I was your friend I would not rely on what's the school says. School are in desperate situation: Most schools are now on one month and at this regime many will simply don't resist and close down as students will not renew their enrollment. So it's in their best interest to reassure students.

If they do ease up in November, it will certainly be because enough schools will have shut down and the number of ED visas will be down to their desired target.

By then how many schools will be left?

As for August 2015, only 2 schools in BKK were allowed 3 months.

Can you name the 2 schools or PM them to me? I want to learn to read and write Thai so I can improve my speaking and vocabulary. I am none too happy with people using the ED visa just to remain in the country or work because they just ruin the opportunities for serious learners.

I attend a language program at a large university in the north. Went in for my first 90 day extension and they gave me a stamp good til end of June 2016! This makes my valid stay 13 months. I was amazed considering the number of negative stories being passed around. Pays to attend a real university and not some small language school. Interestingly, we only have class twice a week (I'd prefer it to be more frequent but oh well).

Itis the standard practice in Pattaya these days to get an 'under consideration' 15 day stamp when you go for an extension. After the 15 days are up, you get a stamp for the balance of the normal 90 days.

I have not heard of anyone in Pattaya getting only 30 day extensions.

I attend a language program at a large university in the north. Went in for my first 90 day extension and they gave me a stamp good til end of June 2016! This makes my valid stay 13 months. I was amazed considering the number of negative stories being passed around. Pays to attend a real university and not some small language school. Interestingly, we only have class twice a week (I'd prefer it to be more frequent but oh well).

This is true - studying in a university you get a one year visa. One of my classmates opted for this. But of course only if you are serious - if you cut classes, the visa will be cancelled. You still need to do the 90 days reporting, I think but its almost automatic. The immigration officer does not test you.

Which Immigration office?

1. There are not tens of thousands of ED visa foreign students in Thai language schools in Thailand.

I would estimate no more than 2-3,000 all in all.

And nearly all are enrolled so they can stay in Thailand legally. There is no use for the Thai language outside of Thailand.

2. In the Philippines you can stay as a tourist for up to 16 months, without ever living the country, so no need for an ED visa there

(not that I'm recommending the Philippines as a place to stay; actually I'm definately not recommending it).

• Like 1

I was on an ED visa last year. My first 90 reporting was fine, subsequent reporting I was only given 70 days, as many of us from the school. But there was also plenty of students who only got 30 days, some even go 15 days. We have to be interviewed by the immigration officer and if you don't satisfy them you get only a month - but sometimes we are not asked anything and yet also just given 30 days.

My last 2 extensions - the school organised a PRO (name it whatever you want) - we paid 2000THB extra on top of the extension fees THB1900 and they will sort out the extension for us - only 70 days - not 90!!!

They are clamping down hard on ED visas.

I did attend all my classes.

So did I, but it did not make any difference either, the extension were according to what "agreement' they had with your school.