E-Channel for Permanent Residents

5 minutes ago, beeper said:

I have now gotten new white book aka residence certificate, re-entry permit and endorsement with same German passport.

Does anybody know if the problem of echannel SW not being able to read latest German Passport data page has been fixed?

I am so looking forward to being able to re-register to go through E gates at BKK (after being able to with previous passport)

It hadn't been fixed two weeks ago, but I had a long chat with the IT guy, who also talked to his office several times. There were two possible reasons why the "new" (not so new any more) German passport couldn't be read, one was software and the other one hardware. If it was the software, it is possible that it has been fixed in the meantime.

In any case, please do try and apply for the e-channel. If nobody tries, they think there is no demand. Kindly update us here. I would also like to ask all Germans who are interested in using the e-channel to try and apply every time you fly. Feedback in this thread would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, onthemoon said:

It hadn't been fixed two weeks ago, but I had a long chat with the IT guy, who also talked to his office several times. There were two possible reasons why the "new" (not so new any more) German passport couldn't be read, one was software and the other one hardware. If it was the software, it is possible that it has been fixed in the meantime.

In any case, please do try and apply for the e-channel. If nobody tries, they think there is no demand. Kindly update us here. I would also like to ask all Germans who are interested in using the e-channel to try and apply every time you fly. Feedback in this thread would be appreciated.

Good comments.

On the same lines about availability of the echannel, for PR holders at Chiang Mai, I ask every time I exit / return.

I have spoken to many CM IOs about it, most have never heard of this facility, the others say 'pben bpai mai dai' 'impossible'.

I will keep asking. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Good comments.

On the same lines about availability of the echannel, for PR holders at Chiang Mai, I ask every time I exit / return.

I have spoken to many CM IOs about it, most have never heard of this facility, the others say 'pben bpai mai dai' 'impossible'.

I will keep asking. 

Does CNX have Auto-Channel machines for Thai passports yet?

DMK (and Nong Khai, I believe) does have them but they still can't be used by a PR that has registered at Suvarnabhumi. 

On 1/26/2019 at 9:48 AM, thedemon said:

DMK (and Nong Khai, I believe) does have them but they still can't be used by a PR that has registered at Suvarnabhumi. 

Good question, sorry I don't know the answer.

• 3 weeks later...

I just tried again with latest German Passport to register for Immigration auto-channel usage. No luck, still the same problem that I heir system cannot read the data-page

I chatted with IO a bit who said whenever a PR cannot register due to system issue he tells the airport rep of the company supplying the system to immigration.

Very nice and polite IO but unfortunately could not help.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, beeper said:

I just tried again with latest German Passport to register for Immigration auto-channel usage. No luck, still the same problem that I heir system cannot read the data-page

I chatted with IO a bit who said whenever a PR cannot register due to system issue he tells the airport rep of the company supplying the system to immigration.

Very nice and polite IO but unfortunately could not help.

Thanks for your update. I just came back and also tried again to apply when I left, with the following result.

IO called the IT rep for me (that's a contractor, not a government official). IT rep tried to blame it on the passport: Too shiny/reflecting surface. I said that can't be, as the manual counters, and the auto-channels in Europe, have no problem reading it. They said that those use a different system. I said, you see what your problem is. Your system simply is not good enough. IO filed an official complaint for me. 

I encourage everybody to ask the IO to call IT, and ask the IT when it will be fixed. As PR holders, we have a right to use the system and they - the contractor - denies it to us, so we have to wait in line for an average of 30-60 minutes. The IT rep can't do anything, but you can ask them to call their supervisor, 24 hours a day, so that it trickles up that there is a problem. You see, there aren't many German PR holders who want to use the auto-channel, and if it isn't brought to their attention often, they - the contractor - simply won't care to fix it.

An official complaint is also good, maybe someone at Immigration in CW will notice and talk to the contractor.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had auto channel set up at Suvarnabhumi. When I changed my passport the Immegration Officer registered me again for Auto Channel BUT didn't delete old Passport details in computer system. Now system doesn't allow me to use Auto Channel. Have worked with Suvarnabhumi Immegration officers (New Every time) to resolve. They sent letter twice to Computer Company which handles the data to reset my information in system. 6 months , no success. Did anyone experienced similar case? If so any advice or any idea who to approach and how to resolve this issue?

I am planning to send letter to the authorities about it. Any suggestions which place to send letter to?

52 minutes ago, tamvine said:

I had auto channel set up at Suvarnabhumi. When I changed my passport the Immegration Officer registered me again for Auto Channel BUT didn't delete old Passport details in computer system. Now system doesn't allow me to use Auto Channel. Have worked with Suvarnabhumi Immegration officers (New Every time) to resolve. They sent letter twice to Computer Company which handles the data to reset my information in system. 6 months , no success. Did anyone experienced similar case? If so any advice or any idea who to approach and how to resolve this issue?

I am planning to send letter to the authorities about it. Any suggestions which place to send letter to?

When at Immigration at Suvarnabhumi, you can ask them to file an official complaint. They will do that, but you won't get a copy and have no proof. 

The postal address is at the Immigration HQ in Chaeng Wattana (I don't have the official handy right now), Attn ITC Center. 

Edited by onthemoon

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2019 at 1:35 AM, tamvine said:

Yes I have had the same issue detailed in an earlier post in this thread. Various Immigration staff at Suvarnabhumi had tried and failed several times to get it working. I decided to give up until my re-entry/endorsement was due for renewal.

That worked. After getting a new re-entry at CW last week I again asked staff at Suvarnabhumi to see if they could fix it. This time it took only 5 minutes and its working again.

I reckon the issue is that, as opposed to Non-Immigrant Re-entry visas which are transferred to a new passport when the holder renews, PR re-entry stamps are not transferred. The holder has to carry the old passport when travelling until the next renewal which is ok for showing an IO a physical stamp but isn't ok for the electronic system which needs the passport number and current re-entry number to match.

I also reckon that the PR staff at CW know about this issue but don't admit it because to solve the problem means more work for them if they need to start routinely transferring re-entry stamps to new passports.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2019 at 9:48 AM, thedemon said:

Any updates? Are autochannels usable at Don Mueang Airport (DMK) for PR holders successfully registered in the system?

• 3 weeks later...

I got my new German passport last month. Last Wednesday I went to Suvarnabumi Immigration and re-registered for e-channel, it works after few trials. First machine I also get error “can’t read data page”, then a very friendly officer tried another gate beside, that one for Singapore / HK passport and this was able to read but could not verify my ID. Then we went over to the auto gates on the other side and first one was working. Today I came back using e-channel no problem…

This is great news.
Did the IO mention any software upgrade done? I have not been able to use auto channel ever since I got new German passport 18 months ago.
The issue always was to get the new passport details updated in the system in that little room they go into between the two autochannel areas at departure. I did not even get to test at the actual AC machine.
So updating your PP details went all smooth with you then
Congratulations.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

11 hours ago, wasisdn said:

I got my new German passport last month. Last Wednesday I went to Suvarnabumi Immigration and re-registered for e-channel, it works after few trials. First machine I also get error “can’t read data page”, then a very friendly officer tried another gate beside, that one for Singapore / HK passport and this was able to read but could not verify my ID. Then we went over to the auto gates on the other side and first one was working. Today I came back using e-channel no problem…

Thanks for this info! I went last week and tried to register at the Departure customs office. They tried, but the machine could still not read my passport. Where did you register for auto-channel?

1 hour ago, beeper said:

This is great news.
Did the IO mention any software upgrade done?

No and I did not ask, because I knew this treath and was afraid they would refuse me. But I don't think so, everything looks as usual.

I had to change passport because the old one demaged during last time check-in Frankfurt (the plastic card nearly cut out).

So my pass number and non-qouta visa changed. The registration for e-channel in the old pass was still valid.

I just hand over both passports to the officer and explained my story.

50 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

Thanks for this info! I went last week and tried to register at the Departure customs office. They tried, but the machine could still not read my passport. Where did you register for auto-channel?

I walked to the e-gates right side after the escalator, straight to the assistant women who is always there.
She brought me inside to the info counter and a female officer took my passports and disappeared for 10 min in the small glass office between the gates. Then she called me back and took my fingerprint and foto. We tried 2 machines between the small glass office and the singapore e-gates without luck. Looks like she know what to do and tried the singapore gate which was able to read the data page but not verifiyimg my ID. Then we walked over oposite to the other machines and it worked.

Btw my Thai colleague was together with me and he just got his new Thai (APEC) Passport which data page looks very much like the new german passport and also using auto gates without any problem.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wasisdn said:

I walked to the e-gates right side after the escalator, straight to the assistant women who is always there.
She brought me inside to the info counter and a female officer took my passports and disappeared for 10 min in the small glass office between the gates. Then she called me back and took my fingerprint and foto. We tried 2 machines between the small glass office and the singapore e-gates without luck. Looks like she know what to do and tried the singapore gate which was able to read the data page but not verifiyimg my ID. Then we walked over oposite to the other machines and it worked.

Thanks. That cubicle between is gates is were they went with my passport, with no success. Weird. I'll try again next time - maybe it's a trial and error thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onthemoon said:

Thanks. That cubicle between is gates is were they went with my passport, with no success. Weird. I'll try again next time - maybe it's a trial and error thing.

yes I think so too. Maybe you could try the gates for SG/HK passport. With my old passport I always used this channels. Now they put a big sign on top of the machine saying "Not for workpermit visa - (PR) also can not"... Somthing like this, I remember because the wording so funny. That one reading my new passport data page very fast and also the cam scan passed only finger scan failed, but this could be also only an error.

Edited by wasisdn
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I tried again to get my German passport registered for the auto-channel but the problem remains that the machine in the small cubicle can't seem to read it. However I have noticed that the process at the manual channels both leaving and entering is a lot faster now: Whereas before they would need to scan my passport two or three it always seems to work the first time now. Maybe the software has been upgraded? Anybody else made the same experience?

Yes confirm, last week leaving and arrive no waiting at all, only at Singapore channel a long queue.

But not sure they got a software upgrade, on arrival I had to try 3 different machines. First one can’t read data page, second gate got a problem to recognize my face...

• 2 weeks later...

As I've posted in this thread, my e-gate registration stopped working in Feb 2018 when I changed both passport and blue book at same time. Prior to that I'd used it for 2 years and renewed for a further 2 in Oct 2017. Since then I've tried to re-register every time I leave the country. Since that is at least monthly, I've tried many times. I've also tried having my information updated or whatever at CW and Suan Phlu, each on several occasions. I have screenshots of all my data pages from the Immigration PBICS system but they don't help anyone, it seems. Every time it's failed (okay, once I got as far as getting a new sticker printed and the first gate opening, but then the second gates wouldn't let me through). Last week, on the basis that it's like playing the lottery (one day I'll be a winner), I tried yet again at SVB ... and like the lottery, my number finally came up! After having my photo and fingerprint re-taken, the system now magically works. I have no idea how or why. The guy who fixed it wasn't an IO but a contractor from the IT company that manages the system (the company is called Janwanit). Since I've had guys from Janwanit try to sort things out before at SVB, always unsuccessfully, I don't know why this guy got it to work, but it does and that's all that matters.

So I would recommend anyone who's experiencing the problem to continue trying to re-register at SVB but insist, politely, that someone from Janwanit gets involved.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

As I've posted in this thread, my e-gate registration stopped working in Feb 2018 when I changed both passport and blue book at same time. Prior to that I'd used it for 2 years and renewed for a further 2 in Oct 2017. Since then I've tried to re-register every time I leave the country. Since that is at least monthly, I've tried many times. I've also tried having my information updated or whatever at CW and Suan Phlu, each on several occasions. I have screenshots of all my data pages from the Immigration PBICS system but they don't help anyone, it seems. Every time it's failed (okay, once I got as far as getting a new sticker printed and the first gate opening, but then the second gates wouldn't let me through). Last week, on the basis that it's like playing the lottery (one day I'll be a winner), I tried yet again at SVB ... and like the lottery, my number finally came up! After having my photo and fingerprint re-taken, the system now magically works. I have no idea how or why. The guy who fixed it wasn't an IO but a contractor from the IT company that manages the system (the company is called Janwanit). Since I've had guys from Janwanit try to sort things out before at SVB, always unsuccessfully, I don't know why this guy got it to work, but it does and that's all that matters.

So I would recommend anyone who's experiencing the problem to continue trying to re-register at SVB but insist, politely, that someone from Janwanit gets involved.

Good luck.

Thanks for this update. I have had people from Janwanit involved in the past, but they were only talking and explaining why it didn't work - one even saying that it is the fault of the passport design.

At which immigration point was this that the system could read your passport? - After you have checked in with the airline, there is one entrance to security check / passport control closer to the check-in counter c or so, and one at the other end of the airport closer to check-in count T or so, I believe.

2 hours ago, onthemoon said:

Thanks for this update. I have had people from Janwanit involved in the past, but they were only talking and explaining why it didn't work - one even saying that it is the fault of the passport design.

At which immigration point was this that the system could read your passport? - After you have checked in with the airline, there is one entrance to security check / passport control closer to the check-in counter c or so, and one at the other end of the airport closer to check-in count T or so, I believe.

It was the one in the middle (closer to check-in counter C/D). Night flight to Europe, so around 1030 pm. I had the "your passport is too glossy" BS from the IO on this occasion. For the last 6 months I've been asking the IO staff at that section to request my e-gate registration be deleted and to allow me to start the process from scratch, as I've been told by them on various occasions that this has worked for some people. I did make a trip about 2-3 weeks before this last one, and they did (yet again ...) take photocopies of everything and tell me that the deletion request would be handled. Perhaps it was, but it certainly seemed like all my data was still on the system when the IO initially tried to get it to work, again, as usual, without any success. How/why this particular Janwanit guy was then able to get it to work I don't know. 

28 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

It was the one in the middle (closer to check-in counter C/D). Night flight to Europe, so around 1030 pm. I had the "your passport is too glossy" BS from the IO on this occasion. For the last 6 months I've been asking the IO staff at that section to request my e-gate registration be deleted and to allow me to start the process from scratch, as I've been told by them on various occasions that this has worked for some people. I did make a trip about 2-3 weeks before this last one, and they did (yet again ...) take photocopies of everything and tell me that the deletion request would be handled. Perhaps it was, but it certainly seemed like all my data was still on the system when the IO initially tried to get it to work, again, as usual, without any success. How/why this particular Janwanit guy was then able to get it to work I don't know. 

Thanks, I will try that counter. I have no issues with deletion, as my previous registration expired, just the "too glossy" thing when trying to register anew with the new passport.

I'll fly again in the middle of June, will let you know outcome.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2019 at 3:06 PM, Spinning Dwarf said:

Any updates? Are autochannels usable at Don Mueang Airport (DMK) for PR holders successfully registered in the system?

I flew to Saigon on 30 May 2019 and can confirm the autochannels are not usable at Don Mueang Airport for PR holders successfully registered in the system at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Hi, I have a PR.

When I got the autogate sticker in my passport the IO told me I have to come back when I get a new re-entry endorsement and have them update the information in the system with the new endorsement number.

However I read this thread and nobody mentions this ?

Has anybody else been told to do this ? 

Edited by brianinbangkok

4 hours ago, brianinbangkok said:

Hi, I have a PR.

When I got the autogate sticker in my passport the IO told me I have to come back when I get a new re-entry endorsement and have them update the information in the system with the new endorsement number.

That is correct. When you get a new annual Non-Quota Visa + associated re-entry permit you have to get the staff at SVB to enter those new details.

On 6/17/2019 at 4:15 AM, brianinbangkok said:

Hi, I have a PR.

On 6/17/2019 at 8:29 AM, BKKBike09 said:

That is correct. When you get a new annual Non-Quota Visa + associated re-entry permit you have to get the staff at SVB to enter those new details.

last year I got new Non-Quota Visa stamp in my passport with registration for E-channel from previous year not yet expired. Have used it frequently without problems until have to get new passport last April.

5 minutes ago, wasisdn said:

last year I got new Non-Quota Visa stamp in my passport with registration for E-channel from previous year not yet expired. Have used it frequently without problems until have to get new passport last April.

Have done the same as you. Refer to my recent comment in Camerata's Guide..................

On 5/3/2019 at 8:56 PM, wasisdn said:

I also have positive comments on this. Last week, I tried again to register for auto-channel, and the machine could read my new (not so new any more, already over a year old) German passport for the first time. That was very good news!

Alas, they couldn't complete the registration for me, because the system complained about "duplicate data", probably due to the several unsuccessful attempts. As it was a Saturday, no programmer was on hand, but they promised to delete that data on Monday. Of course that didn't happen, but when I went again the next time (same error), a programmer was on hand and deleted the old data. And so my registration went ahead.

I have just used the auto-channel again after such a long time. ???? 

• Like 1