Change to retirement visa. Experienced 17th Sept 2015

Pak Cheong Immigration, with whom I have been renewing my Retirement Visa since 2007 and again when they re-opened the office a few years ago have advised that my application is under consideration and I can expect a visit from Immigration Officers at my home. I must then show them my Thai Bank book and report back to the Immigration office on 26th October when I will be told if my application for another year has been accepted.

I produced the Affirmation of Income letter from the Embassy and the original pension providers annual letters advising me of their monthly payments, These documents were used by the Embassy to provide the Affirmation Letter. This income has always been well above the minimum requirement of 850,000 baht and I have never been asked to provide a local bank book. When I advised them that there was very little money in the Thai bank their response was, "Just need Bank Book. Please make copy for officer when visit."

I was told that the Immigration Officers when visiting will be seeking the opinion of neighbors as to my character and conduct. These responses will be used to decide whether I will finally be granted a visa.

What appeals procedures exist in the event that some local decides to have a go. I can think of several persons who may feel they could get their hands on my property through making it impossible for my GF to stay in it should I be forced to repatriate.

Is this change being applied nationwide?

There have been several reports of Kap Choeng immigration doing the under consideration stamp while they confirm where you are living.

Same for the bank book. But some people have been told they need to show money coming in on regular basis.

I would not worry about the "character and conduct" comment. They would have no basis to deny an extension for a comment made by a unknown neighbor.

There is no appeal.

It is only being done in Kap Choeng as far as know.