SURVEY: Is the government making a Sustainable dent in corruption?

Scott

SURVEY: Is the gov't making a sustainable dent in the level of corruption?  

276 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In the past while, there have been a number of high profile situations which highlight corruption in the Kingdom. Both the police and immigration have been targeted recently. In your opinion, will the government be successful in tackling the problem of corruption?

Please feel free to make a comment.

This govt started its version of a ' war on corruption ' by making it clear the wealth of NCPO members was off limits which kicked the transparency angle into touch.

There are supposedly three extensive lists of corrupt officials but other than some sideways moves nothing appears to be happening except possibly where there are links to the previous administration. It's a non-starter to cite Pongpat's case as a success against corruption as his demise was predicated on an issue we can't talk about.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

People will do what is need to get along with in a particular culture

I remember being in a country i will not mention as not to insult the otherwise good people of that country, I would wait on the Que for the bus, and when the bus arrived everyone would rush the bush in a mad dash to get in,and not wait for their turn. I waited for my turn, and as a consequence I would either not get on the bus or not get a seat

Quickly I learned , and i rushed the bush too, I conformed to the culture.

you can not legislate morality, all you can do is create an environment where morality is culturally conducive because people will always take the path of list resistance.

I don't think the current government has done this

Edited by sirineou

No. The most corrupt department is the police force from the bottom up. What has been done ? Zero

There are several very high policemen arrested, guess you are new here?

I think you will find that the highest profile arrest, the DSI head, had very little to do with corruption. Although I acknowledge, he was corrupt, that was not the primary motive for his arrest.

Cannot discus further.

Well, it seems like the "majority" of those who voted (75%+) don't believe anything is going to change, corruption is endemic and not likely to change in our lifetimes. Sad state of affairs, but not that different from other countries.

I wonder what the votes would be if the "government" did the same polling with one of the sponsored surveys they do here though?

Well, it seems like the "majority" of those who voted (75%+) don't believe anything is going to change, corruption is endemic and not likely to change in our lifetimes. Sad state of affairs, but not that different from other countries.

I wonder what the votes would be if the "government" did the same polling with one of the sponsored surveys they do here though?

Well whatever this government WANTS the press to let the public know, with guns pointed at their head...

Well let's see. Wasn't it only less than a month ago that the police undeservingly gave themselves a 3 million baht reward. So the answer to your question is a definite NO. Corruption in Thailand is only being redistributed from one faction to another in my opinion.

A dent is nothing serious. A sustainable dent is ALSO nothing serious. It is a reduction but it doesn't mean it is a significant (as in that statistical term) reduction in the amount of corruption going on. The OP seems to be unconvinced about the progress in the fight against corruption. Why - for example did the OP not use clearer adjectives such as "Succeeding in fight corruption", "Making substantial progress in the fight against corruption", etc....

Corruption in high places is just that , the tip of the iceberg or tip of a Pyramid ; little or nothing filtres down to base level where corruption is the way of life and not seen as corrupt or illegal .

Many countries have high levels of corruption , even the US . In Italy the south is ruled by three separate mafias , who cream off state funds or profits from businesses , as is said to be common practice in Thailand . In some respects the mafia in Italy is better at running its southern region than central government .

No, until there are some extremely harsh measures applied to those families at the top who have benefitted from and by corruption for decades there will be no change.

Absolutely not. It is almost funny that this Survey is out now, all one has to do is check this

'Defrauded by my wife and criminals in Thailand' - BBC special report

from yesterday and see just how corrupt this country is from the police, the Phuket Governor, and Lawyers, and even the P.M., just watch the BBC video interview.

Is the government making a sustainable dent in the level of corruption???

Corruption won't ever be solved, just REDIRECTED to serve whatever party is ruling...

Who the hell voted yes cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif??

Well let's see:

-djjamie

-EnglishJohn

-smedley

In Phan 2 weeks ago my girlfriends son was arrested he spent 2 days in police cells,his friend had a gun and the other had knives now 3 are intensive care,but next with a exchange of 20.000bht from his employer the police suddenly could not see him on camera, ROTTEN TO THE CORE

Land transportation was already voted by Thai's as the most corrupt. This is why so many bus and van crashes. Just think about it.

The owner of the buses, vans is blaming the wrong group, Look in a mi8rror yo0u are responsible for ensuring proper maint5ance of equipment as well as traing drivers etc, y6our the one paying tea money to government employees, thus you are as , if not motr corrupt than those you point a finger at.

With this attitude Thailand is destined to remain as a bad wxample for other countries NOT to follow.

This govt started its version of a ' war on corruption ' by making it clear the wealth of NCPO members was off limits which kicked the transparency angle into touch.

There are supposedly three extensive lists of corrupt officials but other than some sideways moves nothing appears to be happening except possibly where there are links to the previous administration. It's a non-starter to cite Pongpat's case as a success against corruption as his demise was predicated on an issue we can't talk about.

Still lots of low hanging fruit to pick. People out of favor to make an example of. As long as the corruption tree stands it will continue to bear fruit. If they ever had a finger pointing session on this issue you could not see the forest for the trees. I would like to see more high profile people fall and there are lots to choose from. Unfortunately most of these have bought "corruption" insurance.

Corruption is so ingrained that most local offices like police or land offices just don't even look at it as corruption. They look at is as normal business that has been this way forever.

Ingrained and endemic for sure. Even though 'we' choose to be here [and may have been here for many years] we are still looking at Thai life from the outsiders' perspective. Our opinion and views are simply that. We live in a society that has had to endure corruption for so long that it has morphed into normal daily life and hardly registers; maybe less so but not that dissimilar in essence to the society we left behind when we moved here.

As others have suggested, only significant change will be the recipients and the sheep will always pay the tab.

No. The most corrupt department is the police force from the bottom up. What has been done ? Zero

There are several very high policemen arrested, guess you are new here?

Arrested? or transferred till the noise dies down. Would there be a list available of the "arrested" high policemen somewhere? to punish them they should put them on night duty outside of my condo and ticket all the noisy "rice rockets" flying by at insane speeds.

Edited by elgordo38