Picked up a horny passenger on my bike this morning

MaeJoMTB

Looks like you found yourself a winner.

Might be worth some money, sell it

a relative is really into those insects. could sell for as much as 10K Baht.

Why not buy it for 5K and make yourself a nice profit?

don't know enough about them. but the ones that bring in 10K+ have to be able to fight, and thus people bet money on them.

How about taking it to the nearest woods and letting it find a new home? It's a beautiful specimen, very unusual.

I put it on a mango tree in my garden,

It climbed to the very top,

Then launched into the air.

Looked too big to fly, but it could.

Gone now.

I would love to see a live one... Never have... Are they all over Thailand or more prevalent in certain areas?

At this time of year they are more prevalent in Chiang Mai and I assume the rest of the country. There was one in my garden, in town, a few days ago. It used to be a common sight to see young kids with them tied to a piece of sugar-cane with a bit of cotton, at this time of year. I'm not sure if they were kept as a novelty pet or being trained to fight, possibly in their own back yards, as opposed to the big events that draw gamblers. I remember seeing a documentary about a big event in Issan somewhere, where the annual champion Stag Beetle fights were held. Very interesting and amusing as the favourite's owner was in a quandary whether to attend the birth of his child or compete in the finals with his champion beetle. Fortunately the baby was born the night before and he successfully defended his title. He even took it for walks tied to a piece of string to build up it's stamina!

The one in my garden was on his back and couldn't move so the wife rescued him, put him on a piece of banana to feed him and left him in the kitchen to recuperate. I don't know whether he eventually succumbed to his various ant bites inflicted whilst he was on his back or recovered sufficiently to be set free but he disappeared the next day.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Good find!

5-Horned Rhinoceros Beetle (Eupatorus gracilicornis)

How about taking it to the nearest woods and letting it find a new home? It's a beautiful specimen, very unusual.

Its the same as fishing or a photo safari. Catch and release or take a picture of your trophy and let him go like the above poster says. In the last 50 years we have already destroyed half of the ocean dwellers sooo lets live and let live share the planet after all they were here first. Lets live in harmony. For the sake of disclosure I am trying to atone for all the snakes and butterflies I have killed as a young foolish lad.