Foreigner arrested over hit and run death of Thai man in Chachoengsao

webfact

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The smartest, most humane and best thing is to stop and help in every case.

In the end it always turn out in your advantage if you stop and help.

I had an accident with a motorcycle driver that crossed the red light.

The guy was seriously injured.

There were no witnesses.

The motorcycle driver told the police he had green light.

The police told me: if you would be wrong you would not have stopped. The fact that you stopped and immediately went to help shows you're not wrong. So, the police said to the motorcycle driver he should not lie and he made him sign a report admitting he crossed the red light.

The police, the motorcycle driver and his father were all very polite. I immediately went to visit the guy in the hospital after the accident. No lynchings and such .... 555

Let me get this right, the MC rider lied to the police so you would get the blame, and then you go and visit him in hospital???? Have I missed something here?

Unless of course you visited him to give him a piece of your'e mind.

From the comment it seemed as a goodwill visit

A Korean woman working in Thailand ran into me last year while I was walking on the street near the sidewalk in Bangkapi.

Luckily she was in the act of parking or the contact could have been fatal. She took me to the hospital and paid for patching up my scrapes.

Maybe Koreans should not be allowed to drive in Thailand. I opted not to file a police report.

Do you mean 'walking on the sidewalk near the street'??

too many thais are roadkill waiting to happen

someone should tell granny you cant push your noddle cart accross the express way at the speed of a snail and expect traffic to stop

just because youve always did it that (wrong) way doesnt make it the fault of someone using the road properly

in this case i pity the foreigner as much as the victim ,he will be screwed whether he was in the right or not

i almost wiped out someone on a motorbike with no lights on wrong side of the road at about 1am this morning ,he was lucky i was on a bike as well

and managed to avoid him by a couple of inches

Interesting that you see it as you having nearly wiped someone out rather than them nearly wiping you out and that it was him who was lucky not you.

big bike moving fast would kill a small bike moving slow

200-300kg weight differnce

and we had protective gear where as he didnt

it would have been like a train hitting a bowl of goldfish at that speed ........

A Korean woman working in Thailand ran into me last year while I was walking on the street near the sidewalk in Bangkapi.

Luckily she was in the act of parking or the contact could have been fatal. She took me to the hospital and paid for patching up my scrapes.

Maybe Koreans should not be allowed to drive in Thailand. I opted not to file a police report.

Do you mean 'walking on the sidewalk near the street'??

I believe he meant what he had said, "walking on the street near the sidewalk".

The sidewalk is probably fully occupied by street hawkers...

Oh? And you'd prefer a Thai had hit you and left you to fend for yourself whilst other locals grabbed your watch and cash?

Maybe it is the way accidents are reported in the media ever think of that say this was reported to of happened in US or another country headline would be man killed by hit and run driver. This mere fact they say foreigner sets this to be more savage than if it were thai on thai. Not justifying leaving the scene but understand why. But it is so sad human life has so little value in Asia in general.

The smartest, most humane and best thing is to stop and help in every case.

In the end it always turn out in your advantage if you stop and help.

I had an accident with a motorcycle driver that crossed the red light.

The guy was seriously injured.

There were no witnesses.

The motorcycle driver told the police he had green light.

The police told me: if you would be wrong you would not have stopped. The fact that you stopped and immediately went to help shows you're not wrong. So, the police said to the motorcycle driver he should not lie and he made him sign a report admitting he crossed the red light.

The police, the motorcycle driver and his father were all very polite. I immediately went to visit the guy in the hospital after the accident. No lynchings and such .... 555

That is great, always nice to hear of something that went well.

But it's a risk isn't it, akin to not having injections after being bit by a soi dog.

You don't know how things are going to work out, and it is surprising how quickly a hostile crowd can form, this I have witnessed.

Maybe it is the way accidents are reported in the media ever think of that say this was reported to of happened in US or another country headline would be man killed by hit and run driver. This mere fact they say foreigner sets this to be more savage than if it were thai on thai. Not justifying leaving the scene but understand why. But it is so sad human life has so little value in Asia in general.

The higher the population +poverty =low price of life +lack of human rights

If this happened in most of Africa would it even be news?

I don't post here very often but read daily, sorry about the guy who died,buts let's face it half the time these brain deads are driving on the wrong side of the road undertaking or generally driving like imbeciles,

The level of corruption here when it comes to driving offences if you are a foreigner would make your nose bleed,

Here's my last experience I'm driving my car behind a Thai guy on a motorbike weaving all over the dual carriage way I stayed behind him until he final stopped weaving and stayed in the inside lane, I slowly started overtaking him incidentally I have a video cam on the front screen, as I am 3/4 of the way past home he weaves again oblivious that I am alongside him and hits the rear quarter panel of my car and goes flying, I immediately stopped and ran out to help him of course he was wearing no helmet standard in Pattaya, and he stank of booze, he immediately starts screaming f u Falang you hit me you big trouble I stopped helping him reframed from giving him a good hiding and went sat back in my car until the boys in brown arrived, after an hour of <deleted> I went down to jomtien police station and made a statement the Thai went to hospital with minor cuts and bruises, here's were the real fun starts, cops take photos of my car after they finish they give me a bill for 1000 baht for the photos on there bloody cell phones and a receipt can you believe lol, and I am told to come back in a week, I tell them I have video of the incident and give them a copy, after leaving without a care in the world as I have video evidence proving I did nothing wrong I went home and returned to the police station a week later, I was sitting there and the motorbike driver walked in and started wying the cops and they returned the gesture, immediately I knew things were not going to go well, the bike driver goes in the office first after giving me a glare and muttering something under his breath, 20 minites later I'm called in the office, turns out the bike driver not only had no helmet on , was drunk had no licence or insurance the cops don't give a shit about that they only want to know how much I will be giving the Thai guy for his hospital Bill, incidentally my insurance company are wt the cop shop with me, the cop suggests that I say in front of my insurance company that the accident was my fault through careless driving so the insurance company would pay for the damage to the Thai guys bike, I said no way I did nothing wrong look at the video Mr policeman the cop gets angry then tells me to say it's my fault through careless driving and the matter would be closed no charges however if I insisted on telling the truth that I did nothing wrong he would charge me with reckless driving and it would go to court, mine was a minor incident I can only imagine a more serious incident were you back is pinned against the wall to admit something you never did to make life easy for the Thai, motto of this story is as a foreigner even with concrete video evidence you will always lose against a Thai , the police can and will falsely charge you with utter crap just to scare you into doing what they want as who wants to go to court were who knows what will be thrown at you,so I admitted to careless driving gave the motorbike guy 5 thousand baht for his hospital bill and the cop 2 thousand for being such a nice policeman no charges were filed and I left feeling like I had been bent over and analy abused,and lucky it hadn't been too financially painful, so good luck out there when driving foreign people remember whatever happens you are always in the wrong if there is a Thai involved, my advice is to try and only hit crash or collide with other foreigners that are poorer than you and then you will always be in the right :)

I don't post here very often but read daily, sorry about the guy who died,buts let's face it half the time these brain deads are driving on the wrong side of the road undertaking or generally driving like imbeciles,

The level of corruption here when it comes to driving offences if you are a foreigner would make your nose bleed,

Here's my last experience I'm driving my car behind a Thai guy on a motorbike weaving all over the dual carriage way I stayed behind him until he final stopped weaving and stayed in the inside lane, I slowly started overtaking him incidentally I have a video cam on the front screen, as I am 3/4 of the way past home he weaves again oblivious that I am alongside him and hits the rear quarter panel of my car and goes flying, I immediately stopped and ran out to help him of course he was wearing no helmet standard in Pattaya, and he stank of booze, he immediately starts screaming f u Falang you hit me you big trouble I stopped helping him reframed from giving him a good hiding and went sat back in my car until the boys in brown arrived, after an hour of <deleted> I went down to jomtien police station and made a statement the Thai went to hospital with minor cuts and bruises, here's were the real fun starts, cops take photos of my car after they finish they give me a bill for 1000 baht for the photos on there bloody cell phones and a receipt can you believe lol, and I am told to come back in a week, I tell them I have video of the incident and give them a copy, after leaving without a care in the world as I have video evidence proving I did nothing wrong I went home and returned to the police station a week later, I was sitting there and the motorbike driver walked in and started wying the cops and they returned the gesture, immediately I knew things were not going to go well, the bike driver goes in the office first after giving me a glare and muttering something under his breath, 20 minites later I'm called in the office, turns out the bike driver not only had no helmet on , was drunk had no licence or insurance the cops don't give a shit about that they only want to know how much I will be giving the Thai guy for his hospital Bill, incidentally my insurance company are wt the cop shop with me, the cop suggests that I say in front of my insurance company that the accident was my fault through careless driving so the insurance company would pay for the damage to the Thai guys bike, I said no way I did nothing wrong look at the video Mr policeman the cop gets angry then tells me to say it's my fault through careless driving and the matter would be closed no charges however if I insisted on telling the truth that I did nothing wrong he would charge me with reckless driving and it would go to court, mine was a minor incident I can only imagine a more serious incident were you back is pinned against the wall to admit something you never did to make life easy for the Thai, motto of this story is as a foreigner even with concrete video evidence you will always lose against a Thai , the police can and will falsely charge you with utter crap just to scare you into doing what they want as who wants to go to court were who knows what will be thrown at you,so I admitted to careless driving gave the motorbike guy 5 thousand baht for his hospital bill and the cop 2 thousand for being such a nice policeman no charges were filed and I left feeling like I had been bent over and analy abused,and lucky it hadn't been too financially painful, so good luck out there when driving foreign people remember whatever happens you are always in the wrong if there is a Thai involved, my advice is to try and only hit crash or collide with other foreigners that are poorer than you and then you will always be in the right smile.png

sorry you went through this and it must have been totally frustrating. Thais are xenophobic through and through and I'm not surprised you went through this s**t as Thais have no sense of ethics whatsoever. TIT.

Here's my last experience I'm driving my car behind a Thai guy on a motorbike weaving all over the dual carriage way I stayed behind him until he final stopped weaving and stayed in the inside lane, I slowly started overtaking him incidentally I have a video cam on the front screen, as I am 3/4 of the way past home he weaves again oblivious that I am alongside him and hits the rear quarter panel of my car and goes flying, I immediately stopped and ran out to help him of course he was wearing no helmet standard in Pattaya, and he stank of booze, he immediately starts screaming f u Falang you hit me you big trouble I stopped helping him reframed from giving him a good hiding and went sat back in my car until the boys in brown arrived, after an hour of <deleted> I went down to jomtien police station and made a statement the Thai went to hospital with minor cuts and bruises, here's were the real fun starts, cops take photos of my car after they finish they give me a bill for 1000 baht for the photos on there bloody cell phones and a receipt can you believe lol, and I am told to come back in a week, I tell them I have video of the incident and give them a copy, after leaving without a care in the world as I have video evidence proving I did nothing wrong I went home and returned to the police station a week later, I was sitting there and the motorbike driver walked in and started wying the cops and they returned the gesture, immediately I knew things were not going to go well, the bike driver goes in the office first after giving me a glare and muttering something under his breath, 20 minites later I'm called in the office, turns out the bike driver not only had no helmet on , was drunk had no licence or insurance the cops don't give a shit about that they only want to know how much I will be giving the Thai guy for his hospital Bill, incidentally my insurance company are wt the cop shop with me, the cop suggests that I say in front of my insurance company that the accident was my fault through careless driving so the insurance company would pay for the damage to the Thai guys bike, I said no way I did nothing wrong look at the video Mr policeman the cop gets angry then tells me to say it's my fault through careless driving and the matter would be closed no charges however if I insisted on telling the truth that I did nothing wrong he would charge me with reckless driving and it would go to court, mine was a minor incident I can only imagine a more serious incident were you back is pinned against the wall to admit something you never did to make life easy for the Thai, motto of this story is as a foreigner even with concrete video evidence you will always lose against a Thai , the police can and will falsely charge you with utter crap just to scare you into doing what they want as who wants to go to court were who knows what will be thrown at you,so I admitted to careless driving gave the motorbike guy 5 thousand baht for his hospital bill and the cop 2 thousand for being such a nice policeman no charges were filed and I left feeling like I had been bent over and analy abused,and lucky it hadn't been too financially painful, so good luck out there when driving foreign people remember whatever happens you are always in the wrong if there is a Thai involved, my advice is to try and only hit crash or collide with other foreigners that are poorer than you and then you will always be in the right :)

The mistake you made in this case was stopping the car... A Thai would have been away like a shot if he collided with a bike

An old deaf maybe half senile man crashed into me in bkk and both of our bikes had damage caused by sliding on the ground

Same story, police told me we know what happened but tell the insurance company it was your fault and they will pay for everything, you not pay anyway

I said it wasn't, they said he has no money anyway so nobody will get anything if you don't and my bike was expensive so I was against the wall or I'd have to pay to fix it myself and maybe give him money as well

We were not allowed to leave the scene (I needed a hospital with nearly broken ankle and few cuts ) until I agreed to take the blame and sign the damages or we go police station now instead of hospital

If I ever meet a Thai outside Thailand....

RIP to the market vendor. No sympathy for cowards fleeing an accident scene!

Anyone with a working brain will flee any accident scene in Asia, at least until the cops arrive.

I've seen a few lynchings and it's not a pretty scene. They beat, kick and chop first and ask questions later

"I've seen a few lynchings and it's not a pretty scene."

Of course you have. How about backing that up with some details of those lynchings in Thailand that you saw personally?

I wrote it on my iPad , for some reason I cannot see the cursor, nor can I go back to change a word,

Without deleting a whole sentence perhaps I will jump on my computer when I am home and tidy the post up,

Anyone else having Thai problem with an iPad trying to post here ?

What difference would it have made if you did file a police report.

Do you think the police would had acted upon it?

Anyone with a working brain will flee any accident scene in Asia, at least until the cops arrive.

I've seen a few lynchings and it's not a pretty scene. They beat, kick and chop first and ask questions later

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear enough, so let me re-phrase it: No sympathy for cowards fleeing an accident scene, including those who think they have a working brain!

Here's my last experience I'm driving my car behind a Thai guy on a motorbike weaving all over the dual carriage way I stayed behind him until he final stopped weaving and stayed in the inside lane, I slowly started overtaking him incidentally I have a video cam on the front screen, as I am 3/4 of the way past home he weaves again oblivious that I am alongside him and hits the rear quarter panel of my car and goes flying, I immediately stopped and ran out to help him of course he was wearing no helmet standard in Pattaya, and he stank of booze, he immediately starts screaming f u Falang you hit me you big trouble I stopped helping him reframed from giving him a good hiding and went sat back in my car until the boys in brown arrived, after an hour of <deleted> I went down to jomtien police station and made a statement the Thai went to hospital with minor cuts and bruises, here's were the real fun starts, cops take photos of my car after they finish they give me a bill for 1000 baht for the photos on there bloody cell phones and a receipt can you believe lol, and I am told to come back in a week, I tell them I have video of the incident and give them a copy, after leaving without a care in the world as I have video evidence proving I did nothing wrong I went home and returned to the police station a week later, I was sitting there and the motorbike driver walked in and started wying the cops and they returned the gesture, immediately I knew things were not going to go well, the bike driver goes in the office first after giving me a glare and muttering something under his breath, 20 minites later I'm called in the office, turns out the bike driver not only had no helmet on , was drunk had no licence or insurance the cops don't give a shit about that they only want to know how much I will be giving the Thai guy for his hospital Bill, incidentally my insurance company are wt the cop shop with me, the cop suggests that I say in front of my insurance company that the accident was my fault through careless driving so the insurance company would pay for the damage to the Thai guys bike, I said no way I did nothing wrong look at the video Mr policeman the cop gets angry then tells me to say it's my fault through careless driving and the matter would be closed no charges however if I insisted on telling the truth that I did nothing wrong he would charge me with reckless driving and it would go to court, mine was a minor incident I can only imagine a more serious incident were you back is pinned against the wall to admit something you never did to make life easy for the Thai, motto of this story is as a foreigner even with concrete video evidence you will always lose against a Thai , the police can and will falsely charge you with utter crap just to scare you into doing what they want as who wants to go to court were who knows what will be thrown at you,so I admitted to careless driving gave the motorbike guy 5 thousand baht for his hospital bill and the cop 2 thousand for being such a nice policeman no charges were filed and I left feeling like I had been bent over and analy abused,and lucky it hadn't been too financially painful, so good luck out there when driving foreign people remember whatever happens you are always in the wrong if there is a Thai involved, my advice is to try and only hit crash or collide with other foreigners that are poorer than you and then you will always be in the right smile.png

Sorry to hear this buddy! Sounds very familiar. And still the apologists will come up with some excuse to clear these scumbags with a badge. Unreal. I guess some people have been bending over all their lives already, so it comes more naturally for them when they move to TH. If you are a person with pride and intelligence this kind of encounter must turn you into a nutter, no kidding. Would send me off on a Charles Bronson revival

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear enough, so let me re-phrase it: No sympathy for cowards fleeing an accident scene, including those who think they have a working brain!

Just wait and see until it happens to you and the crowd turns on you.....I'm not talking about the 'civilized' world here, just about 3rd world countries.

Have you ever seen a lynching mate? I've seen 3 in India and 1 here so not a chance that I am stopping. Nothing to do with cowardice, more with not being an idiot with a death wish

"I've seen a few lynchings and it's not a pretty scene."

Of course you have. How about backing that up with some details of those lynchings in Thailand that you saw personally?

Why are there always some people who don't believe other people just because they never experience anything themselves?

What do you want? Photos? Videos?

I've seen a few in India, one here and one in Belfast back in 1988. Nothing to brag about, trust me

Notice the "foreigner" gets breathalyzed , while lovely actress Anna Reese got 12 hours to go home comb her hair and Sober up after killing a copper in a parked car, sickening hypocrisy

Same for the Red Bull brat......

Same only if you ignore the fact that in the Red Bull incident the Ferrari driver was tested for alcohol and drugs in his system and both proved positive. So not the same really.

My sympathy to the family of the Thai man. But as always If a Thai did this they would refuse to be arrested and things would be swept under the carpet. I think equal enforcement of the Law is needed in Thailand.

Nice to see how rational and well thought out the first comment was.

...and was is grossly wrong, fact- wise, oh-defender- of-everything-Thai?coffee1.gif

"...and was is grossly wrong,"

What does that mean?

If you're asking me to point out what was wrong with Strangebrew's comment, I'll have a go. In every similar situation in Thailand every Thai driver does not refuse to be arrested and the case is not always swept under the carpet, obviously. Anyone who states that that happens in every case is, simply, wrong. Can you understand that?

I do not defend everything Thai. I will defend situations that deserve to be defended by virtue of some fatuous comments being plainly ridiculous attempts at Thai bashing or complete distortions of what actually happened or was reported.