What is your secret bait to catch rats-mice in non kill trap ?

BKKdreaming

Hi

I bought a few of those metal cage rat traps , they trigger the door and they are caught inside alive.....

But what do I use for bait to get them to go inside ?

since rats and mice will eat cardboard and most anything else what will make them interested enough to go inside my traps ?

Peanut butter does not seem to work in the snap traps , so i doubt it will work on these sad.png

I do not want to use poison as they end up dead in places you cannot get to,

and if I can catch them alive I can take them down the road to the "forest" wasteland

And no I do not want to get a cat !

I have heard using canned cat food , anyone have something that will attract them ?

Thanks for your ideas

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have used a small piece chicken, only had one small mouse living in our spare bedroom............. How fast did it work, well I set the trap, (spring door type) left the room having shut the door...... I hadn't got 10 paces 'WHACK' the door on the trap slammed shut.......... Realest the little guy into the wild....

I have used a small piece chicken, only had one small mouse living in our spare bedroom............. How fast did it work, well I set the trap, (spring door type) left the room having shut the door...... I hadn't got 10 paces 'WHACK' the door on the trap slammed shut.......... Realest the little guy into the wild....

raw chicken , cooked ? KFC ?

So I am wasting my cheese crying.gif got 3 since Sunday in the kitchen.. always use cheese or sometimes a bit of meat

last week put 4 sausages in the sink to defrost from freezer, 30 mins later one had gone sad.png

Coconut milk normally put into a storage box, forgot and yes they nibbled the bottom. guess they will eat most things

So I am wasting my cheese crying.gif got 3 since Sunday in the kitchen.. always use cheese or sometimes a bit of meat

last week put 4 sausages in the sink to defrost from freezer, 30 mins later one had gone sad.png

Coconut milk normally put into a storage box, forgot and yes they nibbled the bottom. guess they will eat most things

thats the problem , to get them to eat whats in the trap and not in the sink smile.png

Thank for the ideas , please keep them coming ...

Now is there a better place to place the trap ?

I read that they like to stay close to walls and not out in the open ,

any truth to that ?

I might take the top 3 ideas and try 3 traps and see if any work ,

I tried the BIG glue traps I got at Tops but have not caught any that way either !

I hate when a couple ounce mouse can be so smarter than me ,

Ohh and I do like Tom and Jerry cartoons , and we know how they all end....the mouse wins smile.png

Here is what I use to great success. I dig up a Cassava Root "mansambalang" from one of my brother in laws farms and i cut it to expose the smell and moisture. You can rub some bannana or peanut butter on the end, all you need is the smell, dont use a lot of peanut butter or the ants will go after it, and Rats hate ants.

A half of a banana with the skin on and peeled back works good too. Any hard fruit will work. Sugar apple, apple, guava, mango.

If you are really serious about getting these rats, go get some land crabs. They work the best out of every bait I have ever tried.

I trap and hunt rats almost every day when I am in Thailand, They are my absolute favorite meat and can be grilled, fried, and used in stir fry dishes. Delicious!!!

What do you do with the rat once you catch it in your "non-kill" trap? I see that you have tried the glue traps so you are obviously not concerned with harming the rat, because I don't know how you'd remove the rat once stuck on that trap.

I had a big problem with rats in the roof for a while there, caught (and killed) 10 in as many days, but I used the spring loaded trap that breaks their necks and baited it with some dried meat or piece of bacon. Rats aren't fussy they will eat anything.

Thank for the ideas , please keep them coming ...

Now is there a better place to place the trap ?

I read that they like to stay close to walls and not out in the open ,

any truth to that ?

I might take the top 3 ideas and try 3 traps and see if any work ,

I tried the BIG glue traps I got at Tops but have not caught any that way either !

I hate when a couple ounce mouse can be so smarter than me ,

Ohh and I do like Tom and Jerry cartoons , and we know how they all end....the mouse wins smile.png

Yes always place the trap near the wall where they would go from one unit to another.... + as I have 10 dogs, the trap need to be out of the way

the big glue trap..... did you put any tempting food on it ?

I bought a pack a few years back put some cheese in the middle, next morning was 13 stuck. [pack = tub of glue + 3 big plates]

OK it go rid of a lot in one go but very messy, never used again, now a day have 1x metal trap set 24/7

can never work out how they get in ? use to have the same problem in UK and in Portugal always catching rats or mice

We have a largish clay bowl outdoors with guppies. Insert trap with rat or mouse into water, wait about 1 to 2 minutes. If you like, you can practice impressions of Dick Cheney while you wait. Take trap out of the water, open door to release dead rat and toss into the jungle. Rebait and repeat.

raw chicken , cooked ? KFC ?

Just freshly cook, (not just cooked for him) a small warm piece...It may have had a trace of 'Bisto' on it....... I think that warm chicken smell was just to much for him...... like curry to a drunk at the end of a night out.