What is your secret bait to catch rats-mice in non kill trap ?

BKKdreaming

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dont use that sticky sheet thing where they get glued to a sheet with sticky on it.. bad experience

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you want to expand on that? I bought one of those sticky traps but never used it, prefer the old spring trap.

it got stuck to the sheet nd there was no way to remove it w/o tearing its legs off, so had to fold the stiky sheet over and kill it like that by suffocating it, it was very scared and peed and it left me hurt that i killed this animal for no reason.. after that i spent a day closing up the holes in the wall so no more of them could getinto the house, that worked better as i was able to keep them out w/o killing them, for a week after i closed. the holes i would see one of them sit outside on the ledge for a 1/2 hour or so in the evenings before leaving, it took them a few days to 'adjust' to the new situation where going into our kitchen was not part of their nightly routine, afterthatdidn'tsee them again.. now i live in a highrise condo and dont miss the roaches and rats i got when i lived in a house, i miss the jinkjoks climbing on the walls though, i used to like living with those things that would eat any spider or flying insect. they would see, and at night they would tearup the roaches and leave there dismembered bodies laying around..

We've used these traps extensively and very successfully too - for rats, mice, and squirrels.

A smallish piece of bread seems to work pretty well and attracts them even when it's past its best i.e. going hard and dry. A small chunk of sweetcorn is often recommended and OK too, but bread remains our preferred bait.

Happy catching!

Don't like stinky fish etc..

Glad to share what everybody eats, always available: STICKY RICE.

Fingertip size ball stick and squeeze on the hook that activates the slamming door of the wire cage trap.

Very effective within half hour after I spotted mice/rats.

See picture TWO in one catch.

Released in the fields far away.

post-30294-0-83418600-1442985913_thumb.j

dont use that sticky sheet thing where they get glued to a sheet with sticky on it.. bad experience

Do you want to expand on that? I bought one of those sticky traps but never used it, prefer the old spring trap.

it got stuck to the sheet nd there was no way to remove it w/o tearing its legs off, so had to fold the stiky sheet over and kill it like that by suffocating it, it was very scared and peed and it left me hurt that i killed this animal for no reason.. after that i spent a day closing up the holes in the wall so no more of them could getinto the house, that worked better as i was able to keep them out w/o killing them, for a week after i closed. the holes i would see one of them sit outside on the ledge for a 1/2 hour or so in the evenings before leaving, it took them a few days to 'adjust' to the new situation where going into our kitchen was not part of their nightly routine, afterthatdidn'tsee them again.. now i live in a highrise condo and dont miss the roaches and rats i got when i lived in a house, i miss the jinkjoks climbing on the walls though, i used to like living with those things that would eat any spider or flying insect. they would see, and at night they would tearup the roaches and leave there dismembered bodies laying around..

Yeah, as I thought, those sticky traps are not a nice way to kill a rat, or anything else that might get stuck on it. Nothing wrong with old style rat trap, at least it's quick and deadly.

My housekeeper told me to use pla tu (mackeral). Worked perfectly whereas everything I had previously tried failed. Wouldn't have thought of it on my own.

You mean to tell me the rats would only eat mackeral? I have used dried beef, pork, chicken, bacon, peanut butter and probably some things I've forgotten, all caught rats. You must have some very fussy rats in your neighbourhood because I don't think rats on a city dump are holding out for mackeral.

My housekeeper told me to use pla tu (mackeral). Worked perfectly whereas everything I had previously tried failed. Wouldn't have thought of it on my own.

We use plain Sturgeon if caviar is not available.....but our rats are sooooo hiso.

Are you not worried that baiting rats and mice with all this yummy food will attract them from outside your house?

"trying to dry out a flooded room with the taps turned open" as they say in Dutch......

Not to mention ants & cockroaches.

I guess you can attract them from outside , but I am not sure if they can smell food through walls and doors ,

These are probably pretty well feed mice and rats , it is the city not the Sahara !

maybe I need to go to Uni and take a class like Rat 101 smile.png

Ok, ok! A little tip or two I've learn't over the years on catching rats. Not to get too technical, but there are two main species of pest rat. 1. Black Rat, (Rattus rattus). I.D. = Intact tail, longer than head and body! 2. Brown Rat, (Rattus norvegicus). I.D. = intact tail, shorter than head and body and generally a larger animal! Colour is no indication and both these guys have several other common names. e.g. sewer, Norway, roof, ships, and you f***ing rat, etc! Is there a difference in trapping these? I doubt it. During my times in Thailand, in the drains of the local market, in Lampang near my wife's house I saw R. rattus. On an earlier visit to Chiang mai, at 4am on Loi kroh rd, I saw, desperate Ladyboys and R. norvegicus.! I think it matters not what bait you use, but obviously what they like is best! I have always had great success using chocolate, or a mix of equal parts honey, oatmeal, and peanut butter! This mix can be spooned into a makeshift cloth bag closed by a rubber band. Panty-hose material is good. (and fun to collect!) Tip No. 1, pre bait, that is, give the little baskets a free feed for a night or two/three, before you set trap! this will get them used to coming to the spot. Tip No.2, and I have found this good practice. It matters not weather you use a snap/kill trap, or a live catch trap, but after you have caught your rat it is very important to thoroughly wash your trap before using it again. Scald, or soak with/in boiling water works. Why? Because in a snap trap, betwixt snap and death the rat will exude a 'fear' smell! In a live trap, rat will have a long time trying to get out and will get frantic when you arrive on the scene, thus leaving a large amount of 'fear' smell. This smell, will generally deter other rats and you usually won't catch another till its gone. Now having said that, 'fear' is an emotion and as such, doesn't have a smell! But the physiological changes in the rat will leave a tell tale deterrent smell. Also, try to limit leaving your scent on the trap, use gloves etc.Try this yourself and see if it works.

You mean to tell me the rats would only eat mackeral? I have used dried beef, pork, chicken, bacon, peanut butter and probably some things I've forgotten, all caught rats. You must have some very fussy rats in your neighbourhood because I don't think rats on a city dump are holding out for mackeral.

Well I'm out in the countryside so these are field mice/rats.

Spurned bread, cheese and any number of other foods before the mackeral finally lured them in.

May have to do with the strong smell.

Have dogs so not much of an issue, but back when we had a restaurant (rat city in the kitchen), we used dried shrimp (the little som tum style orange ones).

They kept for a long time, woudn't mold over, and the mice/rats loved them.

:-)

I set 10 snap traps with peanut butter

and 3 of the cage traps with pepperoni hanging from the "hook" and chocolate cake and mama noodles and the floor to get them in....

ohh and 2 big glue traps....

and then I left for 3 days....

Total catch ??????

ZERO , NADA , Zilch

I wish I could believe they were all gone but I know better.....