What's the easiest way to connect my Samsung J 1 to my PC?

lostinisaan

Hello Experts and Expats,

I bought a new mobile (cell) phone, because my old Samsung stopped working. I usually see a phone as something to call somebody, or send and receive a text. Not more.

Okay, the 21st century, bought one that looked okay, ( memory might be a little low (512 MB), but I start to understand certain functions.

All I want from time to time is to play my photos and videos on my PC, tried Bluetooth, but it just didn't work.

Then checked online and found a program called Kies. Downloaded, installed it,but it can't connect to my via USB cable connected phone?

What are others using to get such an easy job done? I also wanted to back the whole thingy up on my PC, running Windows 10.

Would deeply appreciate some advice fro people who know more about such phones. i have to admit that I feel very stupid that I can't get this done.

Thanks a lot for any useful input. wai2.gif

There are different versions of KIES depending on the phone. Make sure you use the version applicable to your phone.

Also some basic phones didn't use KIES. Check what's applicable from the Samsung site for your phone.

Edited by BB1950

I just looked up your Samsung Galaxy J1 up. It uses Kies 3. However I find Kies a bulky piece of crap!

It's much better to download the Samsung-Usb-Driver-v1.5.49.0.exe package to access the files directly.

This is the latest version used in Samsung Kies 3.2.14113.3 (2014-11-20) for Windows.
OS Requirement: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8

Download from here:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/SW/201410/20141017131240597/SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones.exe

DON'T PLUG THE PHONE INTO THE USB PORT UNTIL AFTER THE DRIVER PACKAGE IS INSTALLED!

It may associate a wrong driver to the phone!

Once the driver package is installed just plug the phone in and it will install the proper drivers for your phone.

Once the phone is connected there will be USB icon on the notification bar.

Drag the notification bar down and select:

Media device (MTP) to transfer media files or Camera (PTP) to transfer pictures.

It will connect in a similar manner as an USB memory stick. You can play or view the file on your computer or use drag and drop to transfer files between the phone and computer.

Edited by BB1950

You could do an awful lot worse than "My Phone Explorer".

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fjsoft.myphoneexplorer.client&hl=en_GB

or...

http://www.fjsoft.at/en/

One installation has handled both my HTC and Samsung phones. Currently I have 2 Samsungs, and depending on which I connect, MPE syncs to the phone's specific folder in Windows with no additional input required.

I've used it on Win7, Win8.1, and now Win10 with no issues whatsoever.

I just looked up your Samsung Galaxy J1 up. It uses Kies 3. However I find Kies a bulky piece of crap!

It's much better to download the Samsung-Usb-Driver-v1.5.49.0.exe package to access the files directly.

This is the latest version used in Samsung Kies 3.2.14113.3 (2014-11-20) for Windows.

OS Requirement: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8

Download from here:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/SW/201410/20141017131240597/SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones.exe

DON'T PLUG THE PHONE INTO THE USB PORT UNTIL AFTER THE DRIVER PACKAGE IS INSTALLED!

It may associate a wrong driver to the phone!

Once the driver package is installed just plug the phone in and it will install the proper drivers for your phone.

Once the phone is connected there will be USB icon on the notification bar.

Drag the notification bar down and select:

Media device (MTP) to transfer media files or Camera (PTP) to transfer pictures.

It will connect in a similar manner as an USB memory stick. You can play or view the file on your computer or use drag and drop to transfer files between the phone and computer.

Just a quick one if you have any security enabled on your phone, make sure you unlock before you will see the folders on your phone when connected by USB cable.

Install the app "Airdroid" that will do it. You connect the phone to the computer using the standard cable you get. Open the app and it will show you the IP to put in your browser e.g. 192.168.1.2:8888 Do that click enter and you will have ccess to everything on your phone dispalyed on the computer

If you just want to transfer your pictures to the computer, it is easy. Just use the share function to send the stuff via bluetooth to the comp. Should the computer be a desktop without bluetooth, get an USB-Bluetooth-Dongle. No hazzle about cables, just pair the phone and computer once and your are done.

I normally use KDE-Connect, which is really worth a nearer look (if you are using Linux/KDE on your computer).

You must have a Bluetooth interface fitted to your PC. These most often take the form of a USB Dongle and are quite cheap. However, they are notoriously unreliable so try to buy a well known brand, e.g Belkin. Check that the this will be compatible with the version of Windows used on the PC. There should be a software driver supplied with the Bluetooth device to get it to work. After installation it may be necessary to setup "pairing" on the device and the phone. Normally this can be an arbitrary code say 1111 . Once done, use the Bluetooth on the phone to search for devices in the area and provided you have configured the PC it will be detected. As required, type in the pairing code and connection should be achieved. Your phone should enable transfer of the files. On the PC they will often be transferred to the Bluetooth folder.

If you just want to transfer your pictures to the computer, it is easy. Just use the share function to send the stuff via bluetooth to the comp.

I find bluetooth transfers to be horribly slow and would only recommend it if file sizes are small. My PC has bluetooth built into the mainboard but never use it anymore for large transfers.

Use whatever programme you normally use in your PC for the appropriate function & access the data memory in your phone by pointing to it in the programme, as the source, using a USB cable.

Agreed.

I have always plugged my Notebook, via USB cable (the one that is provided to charge your phone), to my PC and it shows up as a "hard drive" which you can click on to access the various folders on your phone e.g. DCIM for photos etc. You can then copy pictures, movies etc to your PC to then view via your TV.

Never did use Kies or any other software.