A bit of home work for all you budding pool guys

sappersrest

Useful thanks. Always wanted a single authoritative source on water balance. So many conflicting versions around, even before you get into individualistic opinion and bombast.

No doubt some individual snipes will come so here's a first gentle one. No reference to salt chlorinators seems an odd omission, though I'm not sure there's much to say specifically about them.

Yes - I guess at least a third of the postings are about water treatment, but ThaiV need not tremble about thread loss!

The publication was written specifically for Europe, and believe it or not salt water chlorinators are rare, but they are catching on. If you bear with me I will try and scource some authoritve reading on those and also UV disinfection.

There are plenty of scientific papers written on both , but I fear they are to heavy for me. (i.e. I don't understand a word they say.)

As you would have gathered Lovibond are one of the worlds leading suppliers of water testing equipment. Their knowledge on pool water treatment is second to none.You need deep pockets to buy some of their kit.

Yes - I know of Lovibond as I use some of their tabs. They are a lot cheaper than the tabs sold by the maker of my photo-metric tester (Scuba).

My UK supplier tells me I must use the specific Scuba ones. I tell them why bother when the Lovibond pH ones give exactly the same result at about half the price and the DPD1 Lovibond tabs are on a close approximation, which varies with scale but it's a differentiation I have broadly mapped. I cross-check every couple of months with the Scuba ones and have to use Scuba for DPD3 and CyA.

I also use cheap tubes as an infill tester to reduce overall cost - gives me a general idea of TotalC and pH and saves time.

But Hello, I think they may be OTO: today's the 1st day I know that I may be poisoning the planet (page 35) sad.png

post-77020-0-37383600-1443089131_thumb.j if you are using the scuba mk1 you do unfortunately do need to use scuba tablets, as they are specifically designed for this instrument. If however you use the latest mk11 then you can use any Photometer tablets, manufacturer not Important.

Try google a company called pool ID very competitive

I am awaiting the reasons why you can't use any old tablet from the manufacturer of the scuba me thinks it my have to do with sample chamber size..

Copy of email from Tintometer manufactures of scuba 1 hope tis makes every thing clear.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 24 September 2015 11:24
To: [email protected]
Subject: Scuba 1

I have been asked by a customer why they have to use special tablets for the
scuba 1. unfortunately I am unable to answer but I said I know some one who
does!
So here goes.
Best Regards
Frank

Hello Frank

Thanks for the email

The Scuba I had unique optics which meant that special tablets were made
specifically for its use - therefore yes it will only work with the specific
Scuba tablets

We did find that this was not ideal as it did mean that our distributors had
to take an extra line of product and it did cause confusion. Therefore the
Scuba II was changed and does use the standard photometer tablets

Hope this helps

Best wishes
Colin

"unfortunately do need to use scuba tablets"

Yes - I do use the Scuba 1 and that is indeed the manufacturer's line. Been there, done that. UK Poolstore contacted probably the same bloke Colin, 18 months ago on my behalf. I had bought a load of scuba-specific tabs and a box of cheap Lovibond DPD1,DPD3 and pH (as a complete punt) from UK P, as well as having bought the original kit form them and Palintest tabs for TA and calc.

My point is that Lovibond's pH phenol tabs do work and the DPD1 ones work roughly with the Scuba I. I know I tested it (and re-check that occasionally).

Bit of an arcane debate anyway. Even if the Lovibond tabs are slowly eroding my Scuba I (unlikely), it is becoming obsolete by the day in any event and I'm running out of Lovibond tabs but have enough Scuba1 specific tabs for another year at least. The manufacturer is fast running out of the Scuba 1 specific tabs and those they have will run out of date by 2017 at which point I will look around for new kit, including giving consideration to Scuba 2. It's a decent digital system and in the order of 130 quid not 310 quid like other sub-pro kit. Good that Scuba 2 now takes all tabs.

Cheers Sapperset!

[The obsolescence of my Scuba1 would be annoying you would think. In fact it was a blessing. My original Scuba1 tester packed up outside its guarantee period, but due to the replacement model UKP managed to get the manufacturer to send me another no questions asked. TINT (this is not Thailandtongue.png)].

Archived