US Tax Preparer in Thailand

I have used Joe Krebs in Chiang Mai for the past several years to do my US Federal Income tax return (Form 1040). I just got a message that he is in the US for several months, so I don't know if he will do my taxes (unlikely) this year (2014). They are due to be filed by 15th October. Does anyone use and can recommend a person (with contact information) who can do my US taxes? Pattaya area is preferable, but anywhere in Thailand will work. Thanks.

If you can handle the whole deal by email, perhaps Joe, or his partner, would be available.

Persistence in using noth email addresses at his site might pay off.

If this works out for you, let us know. This question comes up a lot.

Thanks. I have sent e-mails to both e-mail addresses on his site and previously used by him on e-mails to me. I have had no response to any e-mails sent to either address since Monday. By chance does someone has a phone number for his partner? Or any one else offering US tax preparation service in Thailand? Thanks.

Turbotax or TaxAct both work well. The first year that you use the software is tedious. Beginning in the second year the programs remember most of your info and carry forward the previous year's investment and income details. Everything is available online these days: SSA statements, pension statements, etc.

Check the US Embassy website they used to have a listing of tax preparers in Thailand...

Lefty

I cannot open that link, I tried. And, as of late 2014, it was badly out of date, listing only 1 or 2 people that offer US tax preparing services and those no longer are in the business. Not really a surprise for the US Government/State Department -- we're from the Government and we're here to help....

TurboTax is excellent but I still cannot understand why I need to pay with a credit card or debit card that has an American mailing address. Last year I had to run around asking people if they had a credit card with an American address so I could complete my return and send it in. Most, for obvious reasons, were reluctant to share their credit card information with me . Finally, I emailed my brother who was willing to go into my tax return and use his name and card to make the payment. They won't accept checks, or bank transfers either. I decided to change the Thai mailing address of my American bank to my brother's mailing address in the USA and was then able to use my own debit card. At first my bank would not allow me to use an American mailing address because I live in Thailand but they eventually agreed to change it. One would think that with hundreds of thousands of American expats living and working overseas, TurbTax would be a little more accommodating.

TurboTax is excellent but I still cannot understand why I need to pay with a credit card or debit card that has an American mailing address. Last year I had to run around asking people if they had a credit card with an American address so I could complete my return and send it in. Most, for obvious reasons, were reluctant to share their credit card information with me . Finally, I emailed my brother who was willing to go into my tax return and use his name and card to make the payment. They won't accept checks, or bank transfers either. I decided to change the Thai mailing address of my American bank to my brother's mailing address in the USA and was then able to use my own debit card. At first my bank would not allow me to use an American mailing address because I live in Thailand but they eventually agreed to change it. One would think that with hundreds of thousands of American expats living and working overseas, TurbTax would be a little more accommodating.

Thanks for all of the replies, very much appreciated. Someone contacted me -- let's hope it works out well.

You can just buy it for download on Amazon or use HR Block's software.

• 1 year later...

Olivier Wagner is a thoughtful US tax preparer based in Bangkok. He's also experienced with Streamlined Filing procedures if you need to catch up on unfiled previous years. Website  www.1040abroad.com

Edited by metisdead
18) You will not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures.