Skype alternative for calls to Europe

AngThong

In the days when I worked in computers, I was involved in a VOIP project. What we found is that because the compression methods are lossy, if you mix up more than one compression method, it very quickly deteriorates into something barely comprehensible. I'm not up to speed on the current technology, but whichever app you choose, I would suggest that both sides of the call use the same app (i.e. same protocol).

Edited by Shiver

Thank you, everyone. In my case, I need to call both landlines and mobile phones in UK, Sweden and Finland, occasionally Spain. I can't ask the people I call to install Viber or Line or any other app, they use landlines and mobile phones. Cost isn't really an issue, call quality is.

I'll try some of the suggestions. Thank you, everyone :)

Mate!You have to show some initiative on your own!Lets take Viber:you can call mobiles and landlines without them installing Viber!it is enough if you have some monies on your Viber account.You friends will see the number which is registered with Viber,which can be in UK,not actual location!You have to download/install application and try yourself.

I think that CallCredible may be the best4U,download and try,they ask for email?U skip!then they ask for U number?U skip again.If U want to

call you have to put some monies in your account and this is tricky

thing if U want to remain truly anonymous!But to trick girl or wife?

credit card will do.There are apps which do not care to verify U number.

There are many,you have to test some,tell us about your experience.

Mate!another thing:when you call abroad using cheap call numbers(008,009) or calling cards -very often your called party do not see your number but something else.

What they see? it depends where you call and from where.Some calling cards show your real number.

You can fool your wife,but cops can trace your calls don't be naive,after 9/11?

Mate!another thing:when you call abroad using cheap call numbers(008,009) or calling cards -very often your called party do not see your number but something else.

What they see? it depends where you call and from where.Some calling cards show your real number.

Thank you. I have no wife and I don't need to fool anyone - I simply prefer not to broadcast my physical whereabouts. It's not a major issue, just a preference. I have a UK Skype number which works otherwise fine except for call quality.

Just out of curiosity what do you find about the Skype quality bad? I use the Skype app on my Oppo Android phone.

It connects on either a 3G or 4G TrueH connection and I never (well rarely) have a problem with receiving or making calls. I'm generally making or receiving calls from the US, but I've made and received calls from Europe, again without problems certainly issues about the same frequency of problems on a straight cellphone call

Do you drop or miss calls, or do you just find the calls choppy?

Just out of curiosity what do you find about the Skype quality bad? I use the Skype app on my Oppo Android phone.

It connects on either a 3G or 4G TrueH connection and I never (well rarely) have a problem with receiving or making calls. I'm generally making or receiving calls from the US, but I've made and received calls from Europe, again without problems certainly issues about the same frequency of problems on a straight cellphone call

Do you drop or miss calls, or do you just find the calls choppy?

I tend to hear just fine, but some of the people I talk to say I sound "robotic", as if I was speaking inside a glass cube. There's some echoing which sometimes makes it difficult to hear me well. I've tried both ADSL (TOT 10/1) and 3G (AIS 15/5) but there doesn't seem to be much of a difference either way.

This doesn't happen all the time, and I haven't been able to reproduce it reliably.

Thank you. I have no wife and I don't need to fool anyone - I simply prefer not to broadcast my physical whereabouts. It's not a major issue, just a preference. I have a UK Skype number which works otherwise fine except for call quality.

LINE is pretty good but only works if both ends have the application installed

Line has an option called Line Out, previously premium call, that allows to call landlines and mobiles worldwide at a much cheaper rate and better quality as Skype.

The only drawback for the OP is that it will show your Thai mobile number.

You can fool your wife,but cops can trace your calls don't be naive,after 9/11?[/quote

At the beginning many calling cards and internet calls were hard to trace even for 3letter parties,not anymore!"wife" is eufemism for anybody who is snooping after you,who is not pro.

Guys, When you install (may not even have to sign-up) viber on your smartphone, viber will gather a copy of all your contacts and keep it on their servers.

I found out yesterday, when looking in to viber. The web link below is particularly interesting:

But unlike the link above, I didnt see any "Viber needs to access your address book and sync your contacts" message/prompt when registering. Only the standard "The application you are about to install needs access to your microphone, camera" message when I installed viber. So just bear this in mind.

However, the viber terms and conditions say if you deregister from viber, the address book copy, and all your messages, chats, etc will be permanently deleted from their servers.

Maybe I am overthinking this. But by installing viber you are allowing them to access and keep a copy of your address book/contacts. Some kind of warning by Viber when registering your phone number would be good. If most users went ahead with the registration anyway, then (Viber) would have nothing to worry about giving this warning. (Maybe VIber is facing some competition from WhatsApp etc, so have decided to do away with the warnings)

Bear in mind that when you consent to installing the Viber app, you are consenting on behalf of all your contacts that Viber may keep their details. Exactly what details are synced is not clear..phone number only or phone number, e-mail address, office phone?. etc etc.

Edited by meltingpot2015

Google+ works great - just like Skype

TO receive calls: Currently only available if you have a U.S. registered mobile (I mean..Cellphone). Because you need a GoogleVOice account, which also gives you SMS messaging and voicemail features.

TO make calls: you can use Hangouts

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3187125?hl=en

Edited by meltingpot2015

• 4 months later...

LINE is pretty good but only works if both ends have the application installed

Line has an option called Line Out, previously premium call, that allows to call landlines and mobiles worldwide at a much cheaper rate and better quality as Skype.

The only drawback for the OP is that it will show your Thai mobile number.

Has anyone used line/line out (Smartphone app or google chrome plugin) for calling UK?. What's the quality of the line (excuse the pun) like?.
Call charge is much lower than skype.
With line out, call to UK landline is 1 pence per minute, 2 pence per minute for mobile. According to their website there is no connection charge. Skype charges a connection charge.
Skype charge for call to UK landline (advertised as "from") 1.4p per min. Mobile phone "from" 6.3p per min. Connection fee varies from 0.00 (for toll free numbers) to 6.9p for government services numbers and Premium International Consular numbers.
All these rates are for pay-as-you-go.
Also, I am aware that call quality can depend on a lot of things like, your internet connection. I am talking about the line quality when the connection is stable, when connected with a wired internet connection. Must say that with skype, generally, even with wi-fi the line quality is pretty good. Do keep an eye on the billing though (I was overcharged once).
Edited by meltingpot2015