Laughing Monkey, Mae Hia

Tywais

This popped up on my Facebook, Laughing Monkey Restaurant in Mae Hia, very close to where I live. Anyone try it? Shows they have a UK chef and the menu is British style with sausages, curries, etc. Thought it may be of interest to some members.

“Restaurant style Food” that is ‘’home cooked’’ using the freshest local ingredients. The dishes will either be; fresh or freshly frozen, all items are of a generous portion. Our kitchen facilities are; Hygienic, clean & safe with UK style practices..

Laughing Monkey

Facebook

Hi Tywais, this is not a restaurant but only take away. I go there regularly, because it's close to were I live, and find his products excelent. I have seen the kitchen he works from at it looks all well kept and clean.

So far I had his smoked bacon, nice and dry as opposed to some of the stuff I got from the supermarket that was swimming in fluid. Also had his sausages and particularly liked the cumberlands.

I also tried his ready made meals like the lasagna and chilli and these are very tasty as well. I was there yesterday again and this time I bought his fishermans pie, beef bourguignon and chicken tikka massala.

If you would like try before you buy: Origin Café next to Lanna Thara has the Laughing Monkey's sausages and bacon on the menu.

Hi Tywais, this is not a restaurant but only take away. I go there regularly, because it's close to were I live, and find his products excelent. I have seen the kitchen he works from at it looks all well kept and clean.

So far I had his smoked bacon, nice and dry as opposed to some of the stuff I got from the supermarket that was swimming in fluid. Also had his sausages and particularly liked the cumberlands.

I also tried his ready made meals like the lasagna and chilli and these are very tasty as well. I was there yesterday again and this time I bought his fishermans pie, beef bourguignon and chicken tikka massala.

If you would like try before you buy: Origin Café next to Lanna Thara has the Laughing Monkey's sausages and bacon on the menu.

Thank you for the update, very helpful. I took a Google street view virtual drive using his directions (soi right next to Rimping Mae Hia) but couldn't figure it out. Sounds like you can order and pickup at his place or delivery. The B750 is minimum order for free delivery so assume a modest delivery charge for lessor orders.

Thank you for the update, very helpful. I took a Google street view virtual drive using his directions (soi right next to Rimping Mae Hia) but couldn't figure it out.

I took an actual, non-virtual drive using his directions today and also couldn't figure it out. No signs, nothing. Also the map on his Facebook page shows a very different location from the one on the website.

The directions aren't very clear (maybe they'd work if there were plenty signs..)

I'm going to try again, but only if/when a plain old GPS location is revealed. I mean it's 2015; we're well past "directions", as a civilization.

I'm going to try again, but only if/when a plain old GPS location is revealed. I mean it's 2015; we're well past "directions", as a civilization.

I was informed these are the Google map coordinates - 18.7444211,98.9445108

They have a Facebook page I noted in the OP so maybe able to contact them through it.

Thank you for the update, very helpful. I took a Google street view virtual drive using his directions (soi right next to Rimping Mae Hia) but couldn't figure it out.

I took an actual, non-virtual drive using his directions today and also couldn't figure it out. No signs, nothing. Also the map on his Facebook page shows a very different location from the one on the website.

The directions aren't very clear (maybe they'd work if there were plenty signs..)

Winnie -

It's exactly where the web page says it is, but difficult to find as the only sign is a faded piece of tape with an equally faded "Laughing Monkey" hand written on it about 4 cm high.... next to the house number.

The house, however, is easy to identify by the many hanging flowers in the small garden or yard. The sign says to ring the bell, but I have not yet done so as I found it at 5.30 this evening. Maybe tomorrow.

I would be very interested in the chicken tikka massala.

I had the chicken tikka yesterday, it was nice although would have liked it a bit more spicy. It was a lot better than the frozen Indian curries they sell at Rimping.

I went to Laughing Monkey last Saturday morning. I ordered a chicken tikka and a lasagna. Both dishes were great and I will definitely be back to order more. Ian showed me his setup and I was very impressed. Everything is highly organized and Ian is very enthusiastic about food. I sense that this is going to be a very successful business.

• 5 months later...

credit given where credit is due for this establishment,
all the products are of excellent taste, value, presentation,
the owner of Laughing Monkey is Mr Ian Corps, in the uk he was on of thee top chefs working in top london hotels,
i have watched ian in the start to finish of his products, his hygiene, the meats he buys is of the upmost quality,
the bacon & sausage, smoked or unsmoked, indian currys, chicken tikka masala & two more are devine,
laughing monkey has a facebook link,
https://www.facebook.com/laughingmonkeychefian/?fref=ts

laughing monkey will have it's own shop opening in the middle of april , next door to his home premises, a very professional & up & coming enterprise in chiang mai,
obviously peoples taste pallets are different, if anyone doesn't like any of his products they are in the 1% of the minority,

i do hope this information is beneficial to all who like good quality tasting food that fits your expence budget.

Not sure why it is hard to find-- there's a Google Map reference and once you drive to the location there are several signs outside the property--the owner says they will be relocating to a larger premises very soon, but it's only about 50 metres further on from the existing situation.

Food is great--I've had several types of sausage, all great, bacon also excellent and the Ready meals like Lasagne, Fish Pie, Coq Au Vin and Meatballs are all very good--just like Home Cooking, but better than mine by far--I just prepare some Pasta or Potatoes, Salad or whatever and we have a great meal. My Freezer has several meals from Laughing Monkey in it at all times.

The Post above mine just popped up as I posted my comment-- I didn't know the UK history but can definitely agree about the food, hygiene and taste/quality--give the place a try, if you like good Western Food

I found the sausages to be more like minced meat and not sausagey enough, but no dispute about the quality of the ingredients.

Which particular recipe was that--he does about 5 different types of sausage, Italian Chorizo, Apple and Leak, Cumberland, Standard Sausage, and I believe a couple more-- did you try them all?

I only ask, because I am slowly working my way through them, so far so very good, but maybe I haven't come to the type you tried.

I found the sausages to be more like minced meat and not sausagey enough, but no dispute about the quality of the ingredients.

Which particular recipe was that--he does about 5 different types of sausage, Italian Chorizo, Apple and Leak, Cumberland, Standard Sausage, and I believe a couple more-- did you try them all?

I only ask, because I am slowly working my way through them, so far so very good, but maybe I haven't come to the type you tried.

Yes. I tried all of them.

Bit of a fun thought...... I wonder if in 20 more years we will have a Hysterical Monkey. Remember about 20 couple years ago we had a Smiling Monkey by Chiang Mai Gate. The late Nick from the UK was the owner operator. Now "Smiling" has moved up to "Laughing"..... and in 20 more years??? Anybody else remember Nick??

It must be almost 20 years since Nick went back to the UK and opened a Thai restaurant, I believe in the midlands. He died not long thereafter, and very prematurely, I think of a heart condition.

• 4 months later...

I've tried loads of the food from LM, think it's all really good stuff. The curries are great IMO, moist well marinated meat (unlike the cardboard quality you get in many) with rich, tasty sauces not overladen with cheap spices like cumin.

Really enjoy the meatballs and just lately he had chicken breasts cooked in white wine, cream and mushroom sauce. Outstanding. His bacon is without doubt the best I've had here. Prices all very reasonable too.

• 5 months later...

Archived